Fear the Walking Dead | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fear the Walking Dead

Reaction Score
That escalated quickly!

Solid finale. I wasn't sure if I was going to care about the season being over, but I think I'm looking forward to the next season. Couple comments / questions:

- My wife and I were discussing which main character was going to die. Ophelia made some sense, but it didn't seem impactful enough. Daniel was the only one that would really care. When it looked like she'd survive, we were just waiting for a random beach zombie or something. The ex dying was surprise because I thought they were going to want to play out the conflict in the "family."

- Looks like Travis had his moment and it didn't take much damage to get there. Ophelia should be okay, but Travis now knows this is a different world. Madison now respects him also.

- The Ophelia shooting did seem a bit forced, however. He only got off one shot? I guess he wanted Daniel to suffer, but that was pretty hard core to shoot Ophelia first.

- The doctor was looking like a potentially great character. I'm assuming she had a lot of war experience and she seemed like she was doing good. She was either a captain going down with her ship, or we're going to see her again. I'm assuming/hoping for the latter.

- The group got hardened pretty quickly. I don't care how slow the walkers are, opening up that arena was extreme for where their heads should be at.

- A boat like Abigail is going to need a lot of gas. Is this going to become "Water World: The TV Series"? I'm foreseeing pirates and ghost ships filled with zombies.

I thought the finale was pretty awesome. All the characters in the show are now "caught up" to where we all are - as in they know that you turn when you die, if you get bitten you die from the infection, etc.

I agree that the idea to let all 2,000 zombies out of the arena was very extreme based on where they seemed to be mentally at that point - I'm not sure that they had killed more than just one zombie combined between all of them by that point. I guess they knew that Nick (and at the time Griselda) were going to be killed when the soldiers evacuated, so they had to go all out. I'm sure they knew that them alone would pose no threat to the soldiers, and only a huge swarm of zombies would be able to distract them. Crazy to see.

Travis absolutely knows he's in a different world now. After seeing him beat that guy's face in, it became clear that he won't be so trusting of people anymore. He took the soldier by his word, and he came back and shot Ophelia and basically lied to and used Travis. Interesting that we didn't see him actually die which leaves a possible return up for speculation (not likely, but possible). Couple that with having to shoot his ex-wife and child's mother in the head, he has had to face the reality of this new real world. I have a feeling he is ready to become the alpha-male and step up to do what is necessary now. He has a family to protect and knows there are no more games. Madison definitely respects him now, the people he will have the most trouble leading will clearly be Strand and Nick. I think Daniel too, but I imagine that him and Daniel will share more mutual respect and insight on their ideas after their loss. Travis also defended Ophelia by righting his mistake and beating that soldier's face in (a mistake he still made, though, in Daniel's eyes).

Nick had a very interesting comment to his mother when they were looking over the ocean. He said that he has been living like this as a heroin addict for years, and now people finally catching up to him. It's clear that Victor Strand was right in what he saw in Nick. He will likely be good at navigating dangerous places, and I would guess in getting hard-to-reach places and sneaking by zombies, etc.

I'm excited to see them go on the Abigail. I wonder how long they will last on the ship, how often they will need to stop for gas/supplies, etc. The thing is, I really don't trust Strand at all. He has an agenda with everything he does, and has shown that he's willing to leave other people behind to get himself ahead (by not freeing others from imprisonment). He might be very helpful with his abundance of supplies and his ship, but he will only take everyone else as far as he wants to go. It wouldn't totally surprise me if he left them for dead somewhere to help himself out. He seems to pride himself on being a phenomenal salesman, so it doesn't quite seem like he was afraid to step on other's toes to get ahead before the apocalypse, and I don't think he would care to after. After all, he "embraces the madness."

I'm wondering if they stay in the greater LA area, or if they just head for somewhere completely different via boat. I do love that they aren't just making this exactly the same as TWD, although it is impossible to not share similarities when you have a group of people together in the same zombie apocalypse situation.

Reaction Score
It could be interesting. If/when they get to the boat, I suppose that will be an adventure itself, yea that will make for some cool stuff. They will have to make "port calls" for supplies. That will open up all kinds of things. Plus like you said, pirates?, islands? Could be much different than TWD.

Can zombies walk underwater? I wonder how that works. The only thing I've seen in TWD was a zombie trying to cross a river and getting swept away in the current. Can't wait. Thank god we have TWD starting this next Sunday, though.

Reaction Score
This show definitely got better with every episode. Good season finale.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My thought after the finale was where do they go from here. Once the zombies were released en masse and people started looking for their own safe places, doesn't the show become The Walking Dead? I'll watch next season, but I have no clue what they'll do to keep it as a different show.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My thought after the finale was where do they go from here. Once the zombies were released en masse and people started looking for their own safe places, doesn't the show become The Walking Dead? I'll watch next season, but I have no clue what they'll do to keep it as a different show.
umm being on a boat out in the ocean for starters.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
umm being on a boat out in the ocean for starters.
I didn't get that the boat was the plan. I have to admit I was half working/half listening & watching the finale. On the surface a boat sounds limiting, but I'll wait and see.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
On the surface a boat sounds limiting, but I'll wait and see.
I suppose it could sink. :cool:

I think it will could be very liberating. First you'll have getting to the boat. That could be an adventure itself. What's on the boat when they get there. Then you can have them fighting off pirates/zombies or having to pull into different places. An island, San Francisco, Mexico, all kinds of different ways this can go.

Reaction Score
I suppose it could sink. :cool:

I think it will could be very liberating. First you'll have getting to the boat. That could be an adventure itself. What's on the boat when they get there. Then you can have them fighting off pirates/zombies or having to pull into different places. An island, San Francisco, Mexico, all kinds of different ways this can go.
Can zombies swim? I don't think zombies can swim. At least I've never seen a zombie swimming. They can't drown though, so maybe they would float. If zombies can float, that could be a problem, but how would they get up the side of the boat and on board? I vote boat as the way to survive my zombie apocalypse (note to self...take sailing lessons).

Reaction Score
Can zombies swim? I don't think zombies can swim. At least I've never seen a zombie swimming. They can't drown though, so maybe they would float. If zombies can float, that could be a problem, but how would they get up the side of the boat and on board? I vote boat as the way to survive my zombie apocalypse (note to self...take sailing lessons).
I actually gave this some thought, which is a bit embarrassing. I've watched all the TWD and FTWD episodes, but rarely see the Talking Dead and I haven't read the comics.

In TWD, we saw zombies washed away, but we don't know if they died. We also had the zombie in the well on the farm, that split in half, but I think he was just waterlogged, but his head was above water. We also had a zombie come out of the mud by the river and take the governor's adopted kid. Being in that mud would be like drowning.

I think the virus uses the brain as a remote control rather than having any thoughts. Catastrophic brain injury cuts off the control. Oxygen deprivation wouldn't cut off that control. So I think the zombies would be okay under water. Could be cool to see (as a tv watcher... not an apocalypse survivor) "schools" of them, like the herds on land.

Reaction Score
Did the yacht look like poorly executed CGI to anyone else? Like it didn't quite fit in with the water around it.

It's a very minor thing, but, to me, it was kind of jarring how convincing they make the "fake stuff" look but then a shot of something real came off as unrealistic looking.

I'm interested in more backstory in Victor Strand. How did he end up locked up by the military? He's a smart, persuasive guy with means. It seemed like a situation he could have been able to avoid in the first place. I'm also wondering why he stuck with the group. On the one hand, they did save him, but he has no other ties to them. He hadn't made any arrangements with friends, family, associates when things started to go bad? Or maybe his plan is stick with the current group until a better option presents itself.

Reaction Score
We still have a while until the next episode, but I wanted to throw out a prediction. Madison has a dark past and her name isn't Madison.

Her name was bothering my wife. Nobody was named Madison when we were growing up (born in '71). The movie Splash made it a girls name. The actress is 50. We looked it up, and there were less than 4 girls in the US named Madison each year until the 80s. I'm guessing that she changed her name at some point since I don't think the writers would miss that discrepancy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom