Fear the Walking Dead | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fear the Walking Dead

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
AWESOME comments! Intelligent & thought provoking.

Did anyone else think that Artie, the principal, looked a bit like the prez?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't love Travis, but he has a point. They don't know that a zombie bight will kill you. I also don't know that Travis has seen someone turn. He doesn't know they're dead. If a cure is found, how terrible would they feel about killing their neighbor.
True. You have to remember when you watch this show, the people on it don't know what you know. (not you specifically, people who watch in general) They only know what's been presented to them. Think about it though, if it was you in this situation would you really believe in zombies? Even if you knew about zombies? And these people don't even know about zombies. To them, it's like Hershel, there a sickness going around and these people are sick, and hopefully someone can come up with a cure. The idea is not to catch it, not really to kill all the people with it.

None of these people we've seen so far have seen anyone die and come back. The closest was Nick, who thought he'd killed his drug dealer. But, he didn't actually see him die. It seems though, like he's starting to get it. But then he's younger and probably more open to stuff like that than older people would be.

Another thing I was thinking about was that Daniel seems to be aware of bad things happening and that the government won't be able to help. They mentioned his family was from El Salvador. El Salvador went through a civil war from 1980 through the early 90s. Right about the time he was probably in his 20's/30's?? His wife did mention they had been in much more difficult situations. I imagine there is some back story there. Maybe he was a rebel or revolutionary??

As for Travis, yea he's probably gonna be a problem. As Daniel said, he's weak. The weak die first. But, then again, do you give up on society and on your whole belief system (no guns), day 2 or 3 of the apocalypse? Probably gonna take longer than that, IF he lives that long. ;)

Reaction Score
True. You have to remember when you watch this show, the people on it don't know what you know. (not you specifically, people who watch in general) They only know what's been presented to them. Think about it though, if it was you in this situation would you really believe in zombies? Even if you knew about zombies? And these people don't even know about zombies. To them, it's like Hershel, there a sickness going around and these people are sick, and hopefully someone can come up with a cure. The idea is not to catch it, not really to kill all the people with it.

None of these people we've seen so far have seen anyone die and come back. The closest was Nick, who thought he'd killed his drug dealer. But, he didn't actually see him die. It seems though, like he's starting to get it. But then he's younger and probably more open to stuff like that than older people would be.

Another thing I was thinking about was that Daniel seems to be aware of bad things happening and that the government won't be able to help. They mentioned his family was from El Salvador. El Salvador went through a civil war from 1980 through the early 90s. Right about the time he was probably in his 20's/30's?? His wife did mention they had been in much more difficult situations. I imagine there is some back story there. Maybe he was a rebel or revolutionary??

As for Travis, yea he's probably gonna be a problem. As Daniel said, he's weak. The weak die first. But, then again, do you give up on society and on your whole belief system (no guns), day 2 or 3 of the apocalypse? Probably gonna take longer than that, IF he lives that long. ;)

True, and I do think that Nick killing his drug dealer was a pretty significant piece. His dealer wasn't sick or showing any signs of sickness, and he just died from a gunshot wound to the torso. I'm thinking sooner than later he will put it together that anyone who dies will come back, and it is probably very unsettling for them to think that each and every one of them has some sort of the virus (I'm sure they will want to deny this as long as they possibly can).

Another thing that they might need to pay attention to was when Daniel shot the first walker that was eating the dog in the house. I believe he hit him in the face the first time with the bird shot, and the walker kept coming towards them. It was only after he hit him with the buck shot that it was powerful enough to kill it. That must be another sort of clue to them how to kill the walkers, and that they will continue to attack until the brain is killed. A seemingly important scene they threw in was when Daniel, Travis et al were escaping downtown LA in the truck. I'm guessing only the people in the truck's bed saw this - mainly Daniel - but the military were lined up outside a hospital and shooting at a walker. They lit it up in the torso, shot it multiple times, but it didn't stop coming until they put a bullet in its head. I'm thinking this is why Daniel knew to go right for the head with the shot gun.

The reason I do think Travis is going to have a really hard time once he knows he is forced to give up on his whole belief system and society is because he seems to be the one trying the hardest to hang onto that hope and belief.

I do think Daniel is foreshadowing when he says that the good people will die first, but I don't know if it will necessarily be Travis that dies. For one, his wife is likely to die, and that might be a point where they absolutely know for sure that anyone who dies becomes a walker. Will he become the good/weak one who doesn't have the strength to kill his own wife when she turns and ultimately shares her fate?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I liked when the father stamped his feet and had a little tantrum about guns in the middle of the zombie apocalypse.

I look forward to Rick killing him in a crossover episode in two or three years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I liked when the father stamped his feet and had a little tantrum about guns in the middle of the zombie apocalypse.

I look forward to Rick killing him in a crossover episode in two or three years.
We'll see how long his aversion lasts. ;)

Although Father Gabriel's has lasted quite awhile. To the detriment of many.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well that one was a bit on the slow side. And IIRC, no walkers. Might be the first time ever a show about zombies with an episode without a zombie. ???

It is going places I didn't expect it to though. Which in a different way, makes it interesting. Not so much the world falls apart, but the family falls apart. Looks like they skipped ahead a few days of the world falling apart. I suppose I should have expected this, but I know a lot of people aren't gonna be happy with it. But Kirkman really doesn't deal with that kind of stuff. It seems he would rather deal with the people interactions (of the survivor group) than "what's happening in the world".

I suppose this will be the lull episode before the final two of this first season. (hope so anyway) Plenty of plot twists in this one anyway.

Reaction Score
As has been said many times, "the walking dead", refers as much to the survivors as the zombies. So "Fear the Walking Dead", is mostly about the danger of other people in an apocalyptic situation. I personally like the new show and like the drama between the characters in both this and the original series. I like the zombie gore and action too, but if that's all these series were about, it would get old really fast. The character development has been a little slow so far, but as the stress on the people increases, I think it will get better.

Reaction Score
SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE DVR'ing:

They've done a really good job with the son and his family relationships. Thankfully, I haven't known any serious drug addicts, but I like that they've made him deplorable, but also charming. You knew he was still using somehow, but the way he stole the old guy's morphine was solid and disturbing imagery.

I think things are going to pick up for the last couple episodes. The flashing light is an example to me. In TWD, that flashing light would've been an issue for a couple episodes. But they resolved it quickly (at least I think I know what the flashing is now, but I guess it can always be a surprise) within one episode.

I am a bit surprised that there haven't been more zombies approaching their neighborhood. I wonder if there is some natural boundary that's kept the hordes that I assume are in LA from making their way to them. Or maybe it's just that, like any animal, the zombies are feasting on all the easily attainable meat and they don't travel until they need to.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Yeah...he needs the channel his character from Training Day...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am a bit surprised that there haven't been more zombies approaching their neighborhood. I wonder if there is some natural boundary that's kept the hordes that I assume are in LA from making their way to them. Or maybe it's just that, like any animal, the zombies are feasting on all the easily attainable meat and they don't travel until they need to.
Good point. I have been wondering where they are also.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
For now there are street patrols killing walkers. Easy pickins at the moment.

As for the distant house with the flashes...is someone holed up shooting walkers?

Reaction Score
For now there are street patrols killing walkers. Easy pickins at the moment.

As for the distant house with the flashes...is someone holed up shooting walkers?
I figured that the flashes were the gov. shooting sick people and other undesirables before they turn or cause other problems.

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the flashes was a person stuck there, under distress and looking for someone to save them. At the end of the show, it looked a lot like Travis witnessed the military killing them (I believe he told them about the flashing light? May need to re-watch).

From when Madison snuck out of the safe zone, it became very clear that the military are essentially going to kill anyone outside the zone - they view them as a threat. Had she been caught by the military group, she could have been killed too. When she looked over under the car, she saw a lady who was shot in the head, but didn't appear to have been infected - and she notes that the government will kill anyone. I'm assuming the person creating the flashes from afar was aware of this and looking for help from anyone non-military.

For the reason they took Nick and Griselda - it is really up to speculation. There is a chance that they realize that anyone who dies will become a walker, and they are preemptively removing anyone who can become a threat (they see Griselda's foot, Nick's drug addiction/potential effects from withdrawal as threats). I have also wondered if they are going to target these types of people to use for a type of scientific research with the virus - take the sick people, ones that are unexpected and see how they react to certain experiments. It seems that they are going to attempt to kill these people - Daniel's story about his childhood friends and when he calls his father a fool essentially confirms this. It also confirms that next week's episode is about to get wild, no way they aren't going to try and save them. Daniel isn't going to be fooled by the government twice, and Nick seems like too important of a character to kill off right away. It is an extension of the Walking Dead, so anything goes, but I just don't buy that it's this soon.

Maybe this is the point where Travis takes off his rose colored lenses and gets real about it - no more sugar coating and pretending society will return and things will be okay. They took Nick and hit him with the butt of their rifle, clearly unreasonable. He saw the gunshots on the person flashing light signals (we're pretty sure). The military can't be trusted, and he's seen it first hand. Time to start the killing stuff.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the flashes was a person stuck there, under distress and looking for someone to save them. At the end of the show, it looked a lot like Travis witnessed the military killing them (I believe he told them about the flashing light? May need to re-watch).
I think Travis will probably realize or believe he gave up the people with the flashing light to the Commander.

For the reason they took Nick and Griselda - it is really up to speculation. There is a chance that they realize that anyone who dies will become a walker, and they are preemptively removing anyone who can become a threat (they see Griselda's foot, Nick's drug addiction/potential effects from withdrawal as threats). I have also wondered if they are going to target these types of people to use for a type of scientific research with the virus - take the sick people, ones that are unexpected and see how they react to certain experiments. It seems that they are going to attempt to kill these people - Daniel's story about his childhood friends and when he calls his father a fool essentially confirms this. It also confirms that next week's episode is about to get wild, no way they aren't going to try and save them. Daniel isn't going to be fooled by the government twice, and Nick seems like too important of a character to kill off right away. It is an extension of the Walking Dead, so anything goes, but I just don't buy that it's this soon.
Agree, they took the guy with the heart problem, they took the guy who was depressed, might kill himself. I believe the government knows about people turning after they die, but the people don't seem to. Although it seems Alicia just figured out the Chinese lady (babysitter) had committed suicide. And Nick thinks they're dead people. Eventually they'll figure it out.

The other thing to think about is that every town/county/state probably doesn't fall like Atlanta/King County/Georgia did. I imagine some places the government held up better. Remember in Season 2 when Rick killed the two guys in the bar, they talked about Nebraska having like "safe zones".

Maybe this is the point where Travis takes off his rose colored lenses and gets real about it - no more sugar coating and pretending society will return and things will be okay. They took Nick and hit him with the butt of their rifle, clearly unreasonable. He saw the gunshots on the person flashing light signals (we're pretty sure). The military can't be trusted, and he's seen it first hand. Time to start the killing stuff.
I think he'll have to or Madison isn't gonna put up with him. She's already kind of blaming Liza for ratting out Nick and getting him taken away, and Travis was the one who brought Liza to the house. He's either gonna have to help her get her son back or she'll write him off.

Reaction Score
The other thing to think about is that every town/county/state probably doesn't fall like Atlanta/King County/Georgia did. I imagine some places the government held up better. Remember in Season 2 when Rick killed the two guys in the bar, they talked about Nebraska having like "safe zones".

That's right, I forgot about that. TBH, it seems like a really tough situation for the government/military. If you take the humanitarian approach and try to save everybody, you are likely going to end up having an epidemic with a bunch of people turning into walkers, biting others, spreading, etc. On the other hand, you have this military group in FTWD where they are being ridiculously pro-active, but it may come back to bite them when people likely uprise.

I think he'll have to or Madison isn't gonna put up with him. She's already kind of blaming Liza for ratting out Nick and getting him taken away, and Travis was the one who brought Liza to the house. He's either gonna have to help her get her son back or she'll write him off.

This is true. The fact that Travis seemed to defend Liza in the first place that she was trying to give help absolutely pissed Madison off. Now that they took Nick away and the last thing she saw was Liza getting on the truck with the Army doctor and others, she is going to be absolutely enraged. I can see that the seeds of mistrust are likely already in place - she thinks Liza had to do with Nick getting taken away and probably thinks she is in on it (possibly even the potential killing of him). She also will probably not trust Travis and his son Christopher as much, knowing that they are likely going to defend her to some degree, as it's Christopher's mother. I would be scared of a woman whose son just got taken, and she seems like she will go NUTS - she already had the cojones to sneak out of the safe zone in the first place - and now she seems like her and Daniel will be a team.

Reaction Score
TBH, it seems like a really tough situation for the government/military. If you take the humanitarian approach and try to save everybody, you are likely going to end up having an epidemic with a bunch of people turning into walkers, biting others, spreading, etc. On the other hand, you have this military group in FTWD where they are being ridiculously pro-active, but it may come back to bite them when people likely uprise.

The thing is, you have to remember that when this happens, people are going to stop going to work. That includes power plants, electrical grid operators, everything. Without power, you have no infrastructure. Without infrastructure, you have no communications and every national guard unit is going to end up on their own at some point, eventually only being counted on to the extent that their leadership - at low levels - is committed to the mission.

Some places would be ok, but others would be a complete disaster.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The thing is, you have to remember that when this happens, people are going to stop going to work. That includes power plants, electrical grid operators, everything. Without power, you have no infrastructure. Without infrastructure, you have no communications and every national guard unit is going to end up on their own at some point, eventually only being counted on to the extent that their leadership - at low levels - is committed to the mission.

Some places would be ok, but others would be a complete disaster.
And I think these are National Guard units. Not regular Army. It's really their weekend duty. They are not full timers. They also most likely have family nearby which could/would complicate things.

Reaction Score
And I think these are National Guard units. Not regular Army. It's really their weekend duty. They are not full timers. They also most likely have family nearby which could/would complicate things.

Yes, I looked it up, they're California National Guard. Good point about the families being around - wonder if that will come into play. If they lost loved ones to the virus, I can see how their psyche would be effected and impact the way they operate.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like the new guy they added in this week, Victor Strand. The guy with Nick in the pen. It will be interesting to see what use he has for Nick. Don't know if we've had a character like him on TWD either. A wealthy, slick kind of guy. Wonder if they will use the Corporal. Don't know if he'd help them after he was tortured. But he still seemed enamored with Ofelia.

Interesting how far they go in the last episode to resolve some things, and set up things for next season.

Reaction Score
I like the new guy they added in this week, Victor Strand. The guy with Nick in the pen. It will be interesting to see what use he has for Nick. Don't know if we've had a character like him on TWD either. A wealthy, slick kind of guy. Wonder if they will use the Corporal. Don't know if he'd help them after he was tortured. But he still seemed enamored with Ofelia.

Interesting how far they go in the last episode to resolve some things, and set up things for next season.

I think this guy is going to be very interesting. Victor really emphasized that Nick was a heroin addict, and I'm assuming the type of skills that would come with that are deceit, breaking in places, stealing, etc. It is clear that Nick is gifted with these skills - already shown by him escaping the hospital in the first episode, using a screwdriver to try and break into that house window, and by sneaking under that guy's bed and using his morphine drip. He also has shown he is somewhat capable of lying - at least to his mother regarding his drug use. It is going to be very interesting to see exactly what they do to try and escape that military lockup before 9AM.

I think the corporal has an understanding of why he was tortured. And it was certainly for good reason, as the information they got was pretty much needed. The fact that he is enamored with Ophelia still means he doesn't have a family and kids to go back to like some of the soldiers, and he could very well try to join them and help. He seemed to be one of the soldiers struggling with the morality of the situations the Guard are placed in.

I'm really curious to find out what Daniel is going to plan on doing with all of the walkers inside of the coliseum that he comes across at the end of the episode. It was obviously him seeing first hand how crazy and dangerous the problem they are facing really is - but I wonder if he tries to release them on purpose to stop the military. I can imagine if he went straight to torturing a soldier, that he would go to pretty extreme lengths to get his wife back. He will obviously be disappointed, but at least they didn't let her turn. I don't see how almost any of the people trust Elizabeth after she gets out (if she does, of course).

PS How about Travis not being able to shoot that walker in the store? I mean, come on, tell me that wouldn't be an awesome shot to take. Zombie, moving slow, cool 50 Cal that I'd never be able to touch otherwise, clean shot. Guy needs to grow up, fast. He's being quite cowardly in that respect. I hope actually seeing the dangers that some of those walkers posed will open his eyes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
PS How about Travis not being able to shoot that walker in the store? I mean, come on, tell me that wouldn't be an awesome shot to take. Zombie, moving slow, cool 50 Cal that I'd never be able to touch otherwise, clean shot. Guy needs to grow up, fast. He's being quite cowardly in that respect. I hope actually seeing the dangers that some of those walkers posed will open his eyes.
I kind of like that they have a character sticking to his belief system. It hasn't been that long since it all began. A couple weeks. Hershel was still putting walkers in the barn and feeding them a few months or so into it. Something more traumatic has to take place for him (which it will or he dies). Also, I don't think he's quite aware or believes yet, that they are dead and have come back.

Reaction Score
I kind of like that they have a character sticking to his belief system. It hasn't been that long since it all began. A couple weeks. Hershel was still putting walkers in the barn and feeding them a few months or so into it. Something more traumatic has to take place for him (which it will or he dies). Also, I don't think he's quite aware or believes yet, that they are dead and have come back.
I think there's going to be something big in his past that results in his inability to use a guy in particular. There have been a few references. Maybe he killed a friend/relative because of his former temper or accidentally. At some point he'll break through and it may not be pretty.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good season finale. Lot's of action, a couple twists. And a nice set up for next season.

The Abigail is gonna take this show in a very different direction than TWD. Glad to that. Was wondering how they were gonna keep this from being TWD West Coast.

Reaction Score
Good season finale. Lot's of action, a couple twists. And a nice set up for next season.

The Abigail is gonna take this show in a very different direction than TWD. Glad to that. Was wondering how they were gonna keep this from being TWD West Coast.
That escalated quickly!

Solid finale. I wasn't sure if I was going to care about the season being over, but I think I'm looking forward to the next season. Couple comments / questions:

- My wife and I were discussing which main character was going to die. Ophelia made some sense, but it didn't seem impactful enough. Daniel was the only one that would really care. When it looked like she'd survive, we were just waiting for a random beach zombie or something. The ex dying was surprise because I thought they were going to want to play out the conflict in the "family."

- Looks like Travis had his moment and it didn't take much damage to get there. Ophelia should be okay, but Travis now knows this is a different world. Madison now respects him also.

- The Ophelia shooting did seem a bit forced, however. He only got off one shot? I guess he wanted Daniel to suffer, but that was pretty hard core to shoot Ophelia first.

- The doctor was looking like a potentially great character. I'm assuming she had a lot of war experience and she seemed like she was doing good. She was either a captain going down with her ship, or we're going to see her again. I'm assuming/hoping for the latter.

- The group got hardened pretty quickly. I don't care how slow the walkers are, opening up that arena was extreme for where their heads should be at.

- A boat like Abigail is going to need a lot of gas. Is this going to become "Water World: The TV Series"? I'm foreseeing pirates and ghost ships filled with zombies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That escalated quickly!
Yea, they made up for the lack of zombies real quick.

- My wife and I were discussing which main character was going to die. Ophelia made some sense, but it didn't seem impactful enough. Daniel was the only one that would really care. When it looked like she'd survive, we were just waiting for a random beach zombie or something. The ex dying was surprise because I thought they were going to want to play out the conflict in the "family."
Wasn't sure they'd take any of the main characters out. They basically killed the Dr and the soldier, so didn't know if they'd so anymore. But nice touch to add in Travis killing his ex. (how cool would that be, I can't wait for the apocalypse :rolleyes:)

T
- Looks like Travis had his moment and it didn't take much damage to get there. Ophelia should be okay, but Travis now knows this is a different world. Madison now respects him also.
On the Talking Dead after the show, the Travis actor talked about, Travis likes order and when he makes a deal (like with the soldier) he's not fond of being double crossed. And it was kind of a build up of all that had happened. And the realization that order was gone. I think part of it was he was pissed he now knew he couldn't trust anyone. And he likes order and trusting people.

- The Ophelia shooting did seem a bit forced, however. He only got off one shot? I guess he wanted Daniel to suffer, but that was pretty hard core to shoot Ophelia first.
A couple things on that. One, I think it was to hurt Daniel. Two, I think it was to shut her up. She was probably the only one who could talk him out of it. Three, she was the one who used him for meds, brought him to her father, and didn't do anything to stop her father from torturing him. Sooo...wing shot b!tch.

- The doctor was looking like a potentially great character. I'm assuming she had a lot of war experience and she seemed like she was doing good. She was either a captain going down with her ship, or we're going to see her again. I'm assuming/hoping for the latter.
I'm thinking she took the No Country for Old Men way out and went down with the ship. Too bad, she could have been a good character and they'd have had a Dr too. But this of course makes their way much tougher.

- The group got hardened pretty quickly. I don't care how slow the walkers are, opening up that arena was extreme for where their heads should be at.
Well that was Daniel's idea/doing and he seems pretty hardened from the El Salvador rebellions. Don't think any of the rest of them would have thought of that. He's pretty cold really.

- A boat like Abigail is going to need a lot of gas. Is this going to become "Water World: The TV Series"? I'm foreseeing pirates and ghost ships filled with zombies.
It could be interesting. If/when they get to the boat, I suppose that will be an adventure itself, yea that will make for some cool stuff. They will have to make "port calls" for supplies. That will open up all kinds of things. Plus like you said, pirates?, islands? Could be much different than TWD.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom