Fear the Walking Dead | The Boneyard

Fear the Walking Dead

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The spinoff of The Walking Dead starts this weekend. AMC, Sunday at 9:00 EDST.

From what I've read, if you like The Walking Dead, you'll like this one too. If you find faults in the original, you'll find them here too. (it's a zombie show :rolleyes:) Set for 6 episodes with 15 already ordered for Season 2 (similar to The Walking Dead).

Set in LA at the beginning of the apocalypse. So little different perspective. Get to see the world (or a small part of it) fall apart. As opposed to waking up 30 days later.

Also you get a Season 5, and a Talking Dead Season 6 preview, lead in on Sunday before the premier.

All Dead, All Day. :cool:

Reaction Score
Looking foward to it. Hope it is a lot better than the Walking Dead which became unwatchable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Looking foward to it. Hope it is a lot better than the Walking Dead which became unwatchable.
Well don't get your hopes up, from what I've read if you don't like The Walking Dead, this isn't gonna do it for you.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I like the Walking dead, but as huskysupporter said, it really really bogged down. Five seasons long so far. Could have been 3. With a lot of the Stop stupidity of the characters cut out.

Instead of making a new series, they should just make the original good again. It did pick up a bit this season, so we'll see.

Reaction Score
I loved first two seasons of walking dead. Then it was horrible. Not sure if it was bad casting, bad writing or both.

Hopefully, this show does it better.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Welp.

Got some annoying characters in this one, don't we?

Reaction Score
Wow I totally forgot to watch this last night. And TV is in a real slow time. What's the verdict???

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wow I totally forgot to watch this last night. And TV is in a real slow time. What's the verdict???

Walking Dead is a character based show, and this version's characters suck (so far). That's pretty much it.

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Walking Dead is a character based show, and this version's characters suck (so far). That's pretty much it.

Ugh. I have yet to hear a good review. Going to watch it tonight. My hope is that it was slow due to developing characters, but my friend told me the characters are annoying. Either way, I am giving it a full season before I decide to pull the plug it not.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ugh. I have yet to hear a good review. Going to watch it tonight. My hope is that it was slow due to developing characters, but my friend told me the characters are annoying. Either way, I am giving it a full season before I decide to pull the plug it not.
I've read quite a few good (ok) reviews. Granted not great, but then a lot of them are comparing Episode 101 ("Pilot") to Episode 101 ("Days Gone By") of The Walking Dead, which was tremendous. Not much is gonna match that.

Don't think a lot of characters were fleshed out yet. They said it would be a slow build. But you were dealing with quite a few. And they had a lot of people to deal with. As the world goes away and the group becomes more "a group", I think you'll get more character development.

Personally I really like Nick (herion addict). Or at least I like the actor (Frank Dillane) and the way he portrayed a heroin addict. It will be interesting how it plays out as he, presumably, has to go through withdrawal and deals with the world falling around him. See if he wants to live or check out (which I think a lot of heroin addicts would prefer).

In TWD, we got 4-5 main (semi) characters in the first episode. Rick, Shane, Morgan, Duane and Glenn at the end. But mostly it was about Rick and Morgan. Last night we got 4 probably main characters (Travis, Madison, Nick and Alicia) along with a little bit about a couple others (Liza-the ex, and Chris). I'm sure we'll get more stuff on them and some more characters next week. In TWD we knew the show was gonna be about Rick. We don't as yet know really who the show (FTWD) is gonna be about.

Kim Dickens (Madison) is a decent actress and has been in a couple decent other shows, Deadwood and Treme. The showrunner, Dave Erickson, was an executive producer on Sons of Anarchy. (not sure if that's good or bad). And as it turns out, he went to school with my wife. :D

Reaction Score
I haven't got a chance to watch it, but I have it on the DVR at home to watch soon. I remember the original Walking Dead started off pretty slow too, so I'm sure this one will pick up soon enough. Unlike most shows, however, if the characters are annoying you can always root for them to get mauled by zombies. And I have no doubt the writers will play into that soon enough.

Reaction Score
I liked Walking Dead for the first two seasons but it became unwatchable and I never watched another episode. Can't believe they are doing a spinoff, doubt I'll watch but Kim Dickens is always good.

Reaction Score
I could see this show having a good season or two, but I don't see any way they sustain success.

The last few seasons of TWD have basically been a bunch of crap, with 2-3 great episodes sandwiched in between a whole lot of filler (which is usually what happens when you don't have talented writers). I expect more of the same from this show.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was slow, but first episodes always are.

The actor who plays the son is immediately a threat to be more annoying and more nonsensical than Rick's wife.

Kim Dickens just kinda squints at stuff and yells periodically while the guy playing her husband is like a 50-year old Kumar on mood suppressants.

Really, really weak start, but we'll see.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Starting off pretty well.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/fea...ets-all-time-cable-ratings-record-1201575876/

Pulled in 10.87 mil. total viewer. For comparison, slightly better than Breaking Bad's Series finale (10.28mil). Not up with TWD though (which was running 13-17 mil. last season).

Talking Dead pulled in 4.1, 2nd highest Cable for the night.

Guess we'll see how much of a drop off comes next week. If they could pull in around 7 mil., I think that would be pretty good.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The pilot was a meh for me. They had to pick a meth head to be the focal point of the show?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if they have different writers or directors for this show than the original Walking Dead?

I thought the show was pretty captivating while watching it, but it really just seems SO predictable. What will happen that we don't already know about with the zombies? The coolest part about the original, IMO, was learning about the zombies and seeing new inventive ways they kill and manipulate the zombies (think Michonne). I'm most interested in seeing the origin of the zombies and how they got there. That's about it.

Don't really care for any of the characters. All seem like super sensitive people with problems, like the heroin kid. Give me the tough Southern cops in the original like Rick and Shane any day over the sensitive California people. It's obvious, by the way, that everyone in LA is going to freak out and the cops/military are going to be jerks and try to quarantine people, kill people, etc. and the family will somehow make it out - hopefully with more captivating characters.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The pilot was a meh for me. They had to pick a meth head to be the focal point of the show?
Well it's heroin, but I'm not sure he's gonna be the focal point. I think the kids a pretty good actor though, so I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of him. Though, not sure as the focal point. I'm guessing the mom is going to be the focal point.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if they have different writers or directors for this show than the original Walking Dead?
Some of the Executive Producers are the same, Gale Hurd and Dave Albert. The show runner (Dave Erickson) was a writer for Sons of Anarchy. Of course Greg Nicotero is doing the FX stuff. And Robert Kirkman (the creator of the comics) is writing some. But it looks like the other writers and directors are different. Different music guy too.

Reaction Score
Some of the Executive Producers are the same, Gale Hurd and Dave Albert. The show runner (Dave Erickson) was a writer for Sons of Anarchy. Of course Greg Nicotero is doing the FX stuff. And Robert Kirkman (the creator of the comics) is writing some. But it looks like the other writers and directors are different. Different music guy too.

Good to know, maybe it will watch differently and add some different insight that the original lacks.

Reaction Score
I love Kim Dickens.

I'll watch anything with her in it. What can I say, she just does it for me.

Reaction Score
I thought it was decent. Interesting enough to keep watching for now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good to know, maybe it will watch differently and add some different insight that the original lacks.
Well you should be different in that TWD is pulled pretty much straight from the comics (source material). Whereas FTWD has no real source material. All the characters are new, the setting is new. The only thing they really have to maintain is the zombie rules (how to kill, how they turn, etc.). Other than that, they can pretty go wherever they want with the story.

Reaction Score
meyers7 said:
Well you should be different in that TWD is pulled pretty much straight from the comics (source material). Whereas FTWD has no real source material. All the characters are new, the setting is new. The only thing they really have to maintain is the zombie rules (how to kill, how they turn, etc.). Other than that, they can pretty go wherever they want with the story.

This is what should help FTWD.

On a different note, I started to watch season one of TWD last week. Zombies could climb fences, use rocks to break windows and climb up ladders.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is what should help FTWD.

On a different note, I started to watch season one of TWD last week. Zombies could climb fences, use rocks to break windows and climb up ladders.
All that changed after Darabont left (was fired) as showrunner. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom