Fear the Walking Dead | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fear the Walking Dead

Reaction Score
meyers7 said:
All that changed after Darabont left (was fired) as showrunner. :rolleyes:

I remembered the zombies using rocks but I completely missed zombies climbing ability the last 5 or 6 times I watched season 1. Still a great season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I remembered the zombies using rocks but I completely missed zombies climbing ability the last 5 or 6 times I watched season 1. Still a great season.

I feel like the show has gotten more outlandish, as far as characters are concerned. The show needs more characters like Shane, and less like The Governor. Shane was more real, conflicting. You liked him at times, hated him at others. He was responsible for both infidelity and caring for the boy. The Governor, meanwhile, was just off his head.

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
I feel like the show has gotten more outlandish, as far as characters are concerned. The show needs more characters like Shane, and less like The Governor. Shane was more real, conflicting. You liked him at times, hated him at others. He was responsible for both infidelity and caring for the boy. The Governor, meanwhile, was just off his head.

The governor plot was when the show started to go down hill, imo. Not sure what could be done though because he was prominent in comics I have heard. Writing and acting (Coooooooralllll!!!) contributed greatly. Only character I really am interested in now is Carol.

Reaction Score
A flaw of FTWD compared to TWD is that it is set in LA and they seem to be using stereotypical LA people. People in LA are annoying (and I have family that I care for there).

Another difficulty is that in TWD we learned with the characters while now we know more than the characters. Very different, and less fun, perspective.

What's with the blue eyes on the zombies in FTWD? Maybe there will be differences in the virus?

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Chuck said:
A flaw of FTWD compared to TWD is that it is set in LA and they seem to be using stereotypical LA people. People in LA are annoying (and I have family that I care for there). Another difficulty is that in TWD we learned with the characters while now we know more than the characters. Very different, and less fun, perspective. What's with the blue eyes on the zombies in FTWD? Maybe there will be differences in the virus?

Fantastic avatar.

Reaction Score
Last night's episode was extremely annoying. I can't take how it is playing out like a stupid horror movie - where characters just mindlessly don't tell each other key pieces of information.

Hey Mom, you saw a guy your son killed in the last episode keep coming back to life after being run over a bunch of times. You literally bashed a guys head in who was trying to eat a ~14 year old kid. Why are you acting like things will "get better" and trying to shield your daughter from it like that? It's frustrating things like that I can't stand in these shows. At least in the original TWD, they didn't do this crap. They had Rick usually talking about things, making sense, explaining to Carl that he would need to grow up and kill zombies, etc.

Hey stepdad guy, how about telling your wife/girlfriend(?) your actual location and mentioning that there are riots going on. Stop using euphemisms and tell people exactly what you saw. You're doing nobody favors by keeping it hushed - you saw it, it's real.

I can't tell if this is a matter of the people making the show are stupid and want it to play like a stupid horror movie, or if the characters/people in California are really like that and think ignorance is bliss even in potential apocalypse situations? Mind boggling. Something I appreciated about the original TWD was that it felt like you can put yourself in the characters shoes and think about what you might do in each of those situations. These people are absolutely nothing like what I would be like if I saw the same things as them - Rick, Glenn, those guys? A lot more-so.

P.S. Who would have thought that the heroin kid would become one of the least annoying people in this episode? Like if he wasn't throwing up everywhere from having withdrawals he might be an effective leader in this situation.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Last night's episode was extremely annoying. I can't take how it is playing out like a stupid horror movie - where characters just mindlessly don't tell each other key pieces of information.

Hey Mom, you saw a guy your son killed in the last episode keep coming back to life after being run over a bunch of times. You literally bashed a guys head in who was trying to eat a ~14 year old kid. Why are you acting like things will "get better" and trying to shield your daughter from it like that? It's frustrating things like that I can't stand in these shows. At least in the original TWD, they didn't do this crap. They had Rick usually talking about things, making sense, explaining to Carl that he would need to grow up and kill zombies, etc.

Hey stepdad guy, how about telling your wife/girlfriend(?) your actual location and mentioning that there are riots going on. Stop using euphemisms and tell people exactly what you saw. You're doing nobody favors by keeping it hushed - you saw it, it's real.

I can't tell if this is a matter of the people making the show are stupid and want it to play like a stupid horror movie, or if the characters/people in California are really like that and think ignorance is bliss even in potential apocalypse situations? Mind boggling. Something I appreciated about the original TWD was that it felt like you can put yourself in the characters shoes and think about what you might do in each of those situations. These people are absolutely nothing like what I would be like if I saw the same things as them - Rick, Glenn, those guys? A lot more-so.
I can understand it can be frustrating. But you have to remember, besides the acne, geek kid, (and it looks like a couple cops) people haven't really realized what we, the viewers, know is going to happen. But think about it, if you were really in their positions, would you really believe the whole world was going to go away? Most of them are still probably thinking that the government (army, police, doctors, etc.) will eventually get it under control. They'll head out to the desert to ride it out for a couple weeks. Remember, lot's of people who have been in traumatic things, don't really want to talk about it. Even in TWD. Carol really hasn't ever told anyone what really happened at the Grove. Rick didn't tell anyone what happened in the bar. Daryl doesn't really talk about getting beat by his father. Maggie never really talked to anyone except Glenn, a little, about the Governor.

But I agree, eventually, as they learn they need to warn people.

P.S. Who would have thought that the heroin kid would become one of the least annoying people in this episode? Like if he wasn't throwing up everywhere from having withdrawals he might be an effective leader in this situation.
I figured from the 1st episode that Nick would be one to watch. I've really liked him (and the actor) in both episodes. The daughter is still annoying though. Though I have seen teens (in real life) when things are going to around them (parents getting divorces, dying, losing jobs, houses, etc.) still are worried about what they're gonna wear to the prom. They either just suppress it or just don't get it. For most teens, the world revolves around them.

Reaction Score

Fully agree! My wife and I were yelling at the TV, just freakin' talk to each other! I can understand the son ("Heroine Johnny Depp") not thinking anyone would believe him, but why the hell is the mom ignoring the daughter when she's asking what's up! It's not like this is out of nowhere. Everyone can see is going down.

Solid ending and character development besides that. Some other observations.

- Rick and friends developed into bad asses. Remember that they were very different even in their original camp, and that was probably 30 to 60 days after society collapsed. Also, Rick was already a bad ass and original Glenn was kind of like a small mammal sneaking among the dinosaurs at first.
- I like the information distribution that ranges from the acne kid to the family having the party. Not everyone would know what's coming as it's coming.
- I like that people need to see it to believe it. The dad's ex wife didn't just say "okay, there's an apocalypse, let's go."
- I like that the family said "let's go to the dessert" so that when they meet up I'm not pissed about how improbable it is that they find each other.
- I like how much fresher the zombies are, BUT they seem less capable of inflicting harm. Why do the half-decomposed Georgia zombies seem more capable of inflicting damage one on one against more seasoned fighters?

Reaction Score
I agree that the characters (or in real life, for that matter) will need to see these things to believe it. It is pretty hard to fathom a real type of zombie apocalypse going down. It also wouldn't be your first instinct to shoot someone in the head that you know if they were displaying weird zombie-like behavior without having a good idea what is going on and that they would try to eat you. If it weren't for the little internet conspiracy kid, the mom would likely be dead because she didn't think to not trust the principal/hall monitor guy who turned at the school.

It will be interesting to see them become bad asses. I suppose the characters will have to grow on me, and I will probably get more excited as they inevitably learn how to use cool weapons and stuff. Carol is the perfect example from the original. She was a sweet housewife type and now is legit BAD and it's awesome.

This is one of those shows that I'll watch no matter what, so I'm certainly interested to see it develop. I'd imagine that law enforcement will try to contain the virus and block exits to the city and they will have to find creative ways to escape LA.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fully agree! My wife and I were yelling at the TV, just freakin' talk to each other! I can understand the son ("Heroine Johnny Depp") not thinking anyone would believe him, but why the hell is the mom ignoring the daughter when she's asking what's up! It's not like this is out of nowhere. Everyone can see is going down.

Solid ending and character development besides that. Some other observations.

- Rick and friends developed into bad asses. Remember that they were very different even in their original camp, and that was probably 30 to 60 days after society collapsed. Also, Rick was already a bad ass and original Glenn was kind of like a small mammal sneaking among the dinosaurs at first.
- I like the information distribution that ranges from the acne kid to the family having the party. Not everyone would know what's coming as it's coming.
- I like that people need to see it to believe it. The dad's ex wife didn't just say "okay, there's an apocalypse, let's go."
- I like that the family said "let's go to the dessert" so that when they meet up I'm not pissed about how improbable it is that they find each other.
- I like how much fresher the zombies are, BUT they seem less capable of inflicting harm. Why do the half-decomposed Georgia zombies seem more capable of inflicting damage one on one against more seasoned fighters?
I think you're answering your own questions. Would you ever really expect anything like this to actually happen? No. So it would tough to even tell anyone what you saw, because you know they would think you were crazy. Also most of us (and them) would believe the government can come in and take control. It might be rough for awhile, riots, lot's of people getting sick, people dying, but eventually the military will get it under control.

The other thing to remember about TWD and I assume FTWD is that according to Kirkman there was no Romero in their world. No Dawn of the Dead, no Night of the Living Dead, no Zombieland, etc. There weren't comics and movies about zombies in their world. (i.e. this is a fictional LA, Georgia, etc.) Hence why nobody calls them zombies in the shows (or comics). So people coming back to life and how to kill them would be new to them. (as opposed to us, who've seen movies and shows, etc.)

Reaction Score
I think you're answering your own questions. Would you ever really expect anything like this to actually happen? No. So it would tough to even tell anyone what you saw, because you know they would think you were crazy. Also most of us (and them) would believe the government can come in and take control. It might be rough for awhile, riots, lot's of people getting sick, people dying, but eventually the military will get it under control.

The other thing to remember about TWD and I assume FTWD is that according to Kirkman there was no Romero in their world. No Dawn of the Dead, no Night of the Living Dead, no Zombieland, etc. There weren't comics and movies about zombies in their world. (i.e. this is a fictional LA, Georgia, etc.) Hence why nobody calls them zombies in the shows (or comics). So people coming back to life and how to kill them would be new to them. (as opposed to us, who've seen movies and shows, etc.)
Agreed, I had included a word that was removed by the site's filter so it implied that everyone should see a zombie apocalypse is upon us. I didn't mean that people should run around telling everyone that the world is ending. It's more of the personal relationships. The family has seen one or more zombies. It may not be enough to go on the news, but when your daughter is asking what's going on, don't just walk past her, share! Even if it's just "Teen angst daughter... there's some bad stuff going on. Your brother, my boyfriend and I saw things I'm not ready to talk about, but PLEASE, don't go outside right now."

Good info about whether zombie stories existed in TWD's world. I was wondering this when watching FTWD. I wonder if they'll dig into conspiracy theory sites that saw this coming for months or years. Maybe that's where the teen got his info and everyone just thought he was crazy after claiming that the government was hiding aliens and yetis.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fully agree! My wife and I were yelling at the TV, just freakin' talk to each other!

It's spectacularly stupid writing.

Zero people out of a million would have conversations in that fashion.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agreed, I had included a word that was removed by the site's filter so it implied that everyone should see a zombie apocalypse is upon us. I didn't mean that people should run around telling everyone that the world is ending. It's more of the personal relationships. The family has seen one or more zombies. It may not be enough to go on the news, but when your daughter is asking what's going on, don't just walk past her, share! Even if it's just "Teen angst daughter... there's some bad stuff going on. Your brother, my boyfriend and I saw things I'm not ready to talk about, but PLEASE, don't go outside right now."
Agreed. I think they are trying to portray that Madison (the mom) is coming to terms with what is going on and hasn't really yet. Maybe she doesn't quite believe it herself. And I'm not sure other than say Travis (the dad) and maybe Nick, they really realize they are coming back from the dead. She didn't know that the principle was dead, just he was different (sick) and wanted to hurt her (and the kid). And in her head she probably still thinks she killed her friend, granted he was sick and attacking her, but still. And when all this passes, which I think they believe except the kid, will the cops come looking for her for murder/self defense?? They probably haven't wrapped their heads around that yet.

Nick knows he killed his drug dealer, but Madison and Travis don't really know that. Although Travis did say at one point, they don't stay dead, so I think he's starting to get it.

Good info about whether zombie stories existed in TWD's world. I was wondering this when watching FTWD. I wonder if they'll dig into conspiracy theory sites that saw this coming for months or years. Maybe that's where the teen got his info and everyone just thought he was crazy after claiming that the government was hiding aliens and yetis.
Looks like they are kind of addressing it. At least the government angle of not telling people what's going on. Probably to prevent panic. From that part about the cop putting water in his trunk, seems they know bad stuff is coming, but aren't really telling anyone yet. But from TWD, we know, at least in GA, they set up evacuation points and medical units. We'll see if they do the same in FTWD.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree that the characters (or in real life, for that matter) will need to see these things to believe it. It is pretty hard to fathom a real type of zombie apocalypse going down. It also wouldn't be your first instinct to shoot someone in the head that you know if they were displaying weird zombie-like behavior without having a good idea what is going on and that they would try to eat you. If it weren't for the little internet conspiracy kid, the mom would likely be dead because she didn't think to not trust the principal/hall monitor guy who turned at the school.
Saw one writer who was comparing the kid (Tobias) to Morgan. He shows up, explains to the main character what is going on and then leaves, maybe to come back later??

Another thing some writers have noticed is, so far the only "walkers" they have come across are people they know. Killing them, especially when you don't really know what is going on is different than like Rick or Michonne blazing through a horde of unknown walkers.

Reaction Score
I agree with your perspective, just wish their conversations were a little more... inclusive of information. At least when they're talking to each other.

Lol and I really should learn their names. I feel like I'm going to get borderline offensive with my stereotyping here.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree with your perspective, just wish their conversations were a little more... inclusive of information. At least when they're talking to each other.

Lol and I really should learn their names. I feel like I'm going to get borderline offensive with my stereotyping here.
Well they're all new and not from the comic. I have to look up the names occasionally myself. Nick, Travis and Madison are the only ones I have down so far.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
FTWD, skipped Labor Day weekend. Will be back on the 13th. Episode 3 - The Dog.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That goes for most TV.

Yeah but the conversations are stupid. I want shows with people who have cooler conversations than I do. So that I may conversate vicariously through those conversations.

Reaction Score
Yeah but the conversations are stupid. I want shows with people who have cooler conversations than I do. So that I may conversate vicariously through those conversations.
Right, like McConaughey in the first season of True Detective. That's one of the things I like about Penny Dreadful

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really liking the slow burn on this. Glad, even though it was a bit contrived, that they didn't leave to go to the desert. Don't really need to see another TWD road trip this early in the series. Plenty of stuff to show around LA. Like that they have brought the Army/National Guard into this. Let us see how they lost control....if they ever had it.

Interesting that the Walkers are once again threatening as individuals. Only time there is really a problem with walkers in TWD is when they are in hordes. And these are still walkers they know. See what happens when someone in the family turns.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I think the druggie, Nick, is being portrayed by an EXCELLENT actor. I totally believed he was drug addled. None the less, in this world, he is a HUGE liability, as is the clueless, naive daughter. I have been working with a lot of 18 year old girls lately & find them ALL obnoxious & annoying!

I have hope for this show, but agree that the dialogue & writing has to get a lot better. The plot is moving along at a zombie crawl...

Reaction Score
I personally can't stand Travis, the dad/stepdad guy. Just little gems like "he didn't deserve that" after watching the guy eating the dog and trying to bite him! And saying "don't do something you can't undo" in reference to killing the zombie neighbor who clearly tried to bite his step daughter. Some things just make my blood boil that he says.

What I'm trying to figure out - is it bad writing, and this Travis guy is totally unrealistic and just a dumb character? Or am I reacting exactly as the writers want me to by being on the edge of my seat getting mad at the stupidity of some people? I really do try hard to put myself in their shoes watching this and gauge the level of cluelessness about the situation they have. It is really tough to do so knowing the entire premise is going to be based off of what we saw in the original Walking Dead.

Time for wild speculation and predictions:
  • I'm really thinking that Nick is going to be very vulnerable and a burden as he is withdrawing from drug use, sick, and likely to go to dangerous lengths to find his drugs (as witnessed by him attempting to break into a house). On the other hand, I feel like he is one of the few people in the group that "gets it" and realizes the real danger that these walkers pose. I think him "getting it" will ultimately save everyone at a critical point in time, just my guess.
  • As far as Travis goes, I can imagine that he will struggle at some point once he realizes his perfect world is beyond saving and do some weird and inadvisable things that put everyone in danger, despite his best intentions. His son will probably blow a zombie's head off with the buckshot in that exact shotgun to save Travis, and ultimately prove he can be a man and help them (the foreshadowing was too strong).
  • The daughter will ultimately become more likeable, and the combo of her and the mom will be a dangerous tandem (for walkers of course). She seems like she will play the sneaky role who is surprisingly good at getting supplies, stabbing walkers in the head, etc. Probably in part out of anger at how her boyfriend turned up. I also think that she will eventually be faced with the zombie version of either or both of A. Her boyfriend B. Her father.
  • The tough barber shop owner will die in a sacrifice to save the others as they find themselves in a sticky situation, and he almost feels that life isn't worth living without his wife, who inevitably dies - based on what the nurse/ex-wife of Travis diagnoses.

Reaction Score
I personally can't stand Travis, the dad/stepdad guy. Just little gems like "he didn't deserve that" after watching the guy eating the dog and trying to bite him! And saying "don't do something you can't undo" in reference to killing the zombie neighbor who clearly tried to bite his step daughter. Some things just make my blood boil that he says.

What I'm trying to figure out - is it bad writing, and this Travis guy is totally unrealistic and just a dumb character? Or am I reacting exactly as the writers want me to by being on the edge of my seat getting mad at the stupidity of some people? I really do try hard to put myself in their shoes watching this and gauge the level of cluelessness about the situation they have. It is really tough to do so knowing the entire premise is going to be based off of what we saw in the original Walking Dead.

Time for wild speculation and predictions:
  • I'm really thinking that Nick is going to be very vulnerable and a burden as he is withdrawing from drug use, sick, and likely to go to dangerous lengths to find his drugs (as witnessed by him attempting to break into a house). On the other hand, I feel like he is one of the few people in the group that "gets it" and realizes the real danger that these walkers pose. I think him "getting it" will ultimately save everyone at a critical point in time, just my guess.
  • As far as Travis goes, I can imagine that he will struggle at some point once he realizes his perfect world is beyond saving and do some weird and inadvisable things that put everyone in danger, despite his best intentions. His son will probably blow a zombie's head off with the buckshot in that exact shotgun to save Travis, and ultimately prove he can be a man and help them (the foreshadowing was too strong).
  • The daughter will ultimately become more likeable, and the combo of her and the mom will be a dangerous tandem (for walkers of course). She seems like she will play the sneaky role who is surprisingly good at getting supplies, stabbing walkers in the head, etc. Probably in part out of anger at how her boyfriend turned up. I also think that she will eventually be faced with the zombie version of either or both of A. Her boyfriend B. Her father.
  • The tough barber shop owner will die in a sacrifice to save the others as they find themselves in a sticky situation, and he almost feels that life isn't worth living without his wife, who inevitably dies - based on what the nurse/ex-wife of Travis diagnoses.
I don't love Travis, but he has a point. They don't know that a zombie bight will kill you. I also don't know that Travis has seen someone turn. He doesn't know they're dead. If a cure is found, how terrible would they feel about killing their neighbor.

The drug addict son is a solid actor. He played Tom Riddle (Young Voldemort) in a Harry Potter movie. He really seems to be channelling Johnny Depp though.

Also, what's with TWD and now FTWD and foreign actors. Travis is from New Zealand. A bunch of TWD actors are English.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom