OT: - Favorite Hip Hop Artist | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Hip Hop Artist

Reaction Score
Not that you need to or anything, but, why?

Just one of those groups I never liked. Hated the Licensed to Ill gimmicky stuff. I suppose I can appreciate a couple songs across Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, or Ill Communication for nostalgia's sake but I just never enjoyed their music.

Reaction Score
I am thankful for this thread because it reminded me of how much I like Lupe Fiasco. He has put out a lot of wack music so that blemishes his reputation but Food and Liquor 1 and 2 are up there with my favorite rap albums ever. I always appreciated that I could listen to his tracks and pick up on a new double entendre with each listen. Gotta Eat is a fantastic track.

Reaction Score
yall like some pretty sub-par stuff. to each his own though. I wish I knew the average age of the yard members but two things stick out to me. 1) have some respect for the old school, watch straight outta compton and do some homework. 2) listen to jay-z and eminem. 3) figure out what you like about rap music before you comment. Some like the beats, some like the chorus, some like metaphors... you get my point. This post is not to judge or demean. Thanks to the OP, but lets leave this thread to people who actually are fans of hip hop. No more janky posts please

Reaction Score
yall like some pretty sub-par stuff. to each his own though. I wish I knew the average age of the yard members but two things stick out to me. 1) have some respect for the old school, watch straight outta compton and do some homework. 2) listen to jay-z and eminem. 3) figure out what you like about rap music before you comment. Some like the beats, some like the chorus, some like metaphors... you get my point. This post is not to judge or demean. Thanks to the OP, but lets leave this thread to people who actually are fans of hip hop. No more janky posts please

I imagine you are a lot younger and have listened to way less hip hop than people you are critiquing. If anything, the artists mentioned ITT trend especially old school.

Edit. You are telling people to have respect for the old school by watching a movie that came out last year. That is just plain laughable.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I haven't gone through the whole list but here are some that pop into my mind, outside of the well-known ones, though some were already mentioned:

MF DOOM
Anderson.Paak
The Roots
De La Soul
Mos Def
KRS-One
Pushsa T
Danny Brown
Wiley (yeah, some americans listen to UK grime)
Q-Tip (as a a solo artist)

Oh... and if you like Outkast but haven't checked out Big K.R.I.T., you're missing out!

Reaction Score
yeezy, tribe, the clipse, mos def, madlib/quasimoto (his albums with freddie gibbs and doom too), outkast

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
yeah i completely agree, tried to give "To pimp a butterfly" a try, really couldnt get into it. Maybe its good by today's standards. And Kamasi Washington is great, seen him live twice.
To be fair, some of Kendrick's best verses aren't even on his own songs. But that's besides the point.

So GKMC and To Pimp a Butterfly are two totally different albums. GKMC is more of a story - it showcases Kendrick's life in Compton. To Pimp a Butterfly is more of a social commentary. GKMC you can pick up and understand right from the get-go. His 3rd album is not so easy to pick up - you need to listen to it more than once. So with all Kendrick albums, I suggest listening to them straight thru with no stoppages. They're not some collection of songs like Drake or Kanye's albums. They tell stories and the songs are placed where they are for a reason.

So everyone can analyze it differently. I can go on for hours about Kendrick's albums. Just listen to the message and the layered messages in To Pimp a Butterfly, its eye-opening. Plus the songs are dope as hell.

Reaction Score
To be fair, some of Kendrick's best verses aren't even on his own songs. But that's besides the point.

So GKMC and To Pimp a Butterfly are two totally different albums. GKMC is more of a story - it showcases Kendrick's life in Compton. To Pimp a Butterfly is more of a social commentary. GKMC you can pick up and understand right from the get-go. His 3rd album is not so easy to pick up - you need to listen to it more than once. So with all Kendrick albums, I suggest listening to them straight thru with no stoppages. They're not some collection of songs like Drake or Kanye's albums. They tell stories and the songs are placed where they are for a reason.

So everyone can analyze it differently. I can go on for hours about Kendrick's albums. Just listen to the message and the layered messages in To Pimp a Butterfly, its eye-opening. Plus the songs are dope as hell.
GKMC, in my opinion, is one of the greatest rap albums of all time. There is literally nothing wrong with it. TPAB is more dense, it took some time for me to really vibe with it, but i'm putting it right with GKMC as far as my favorite albums. If any of you haven't, listen to the song "u" off of it, the second part of it is one of the best free verses I have ever heard, Kendrick puts his heart in it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
GKMC, in my opinion, is one of the greatest rap albums of all time. There is literally nothing wrong with it. TPAB is more dense, it took some time for me to really vibe with it, but i'm putting it right with GKMC as far as my favorite albums. If any of you haven't, listen to the song "u" off of it, the second part of it is one of the best free verses I have ever heard, Kendrick puts his heart in it.
I'm also in the camp that GKMC is a better album from a rap/lyrics perspective. But the message in To Pimp a Butterfly..man it doesn't get much deeper than that. I love both for their uniqueness.

I think this all boils down to one thing. Kendrick is the man. Hell even Section.80 was amazing.

Reaction Score
Andre's verse at the end of Aquemini is yet to be rivaled in my opinion.

My mind warps and bends floats the wind count to ten
Meet the twin Andre Ben. welcome to the lion's den
Original skin many men comprehend
I extend myself so you go out and tell a friend
Sin all depends on what you believing in
Faith is what you make it that's the hardest since MC Ren
Alien can blend right on in wit' yo' kin
Look again 'cause I swear I spot one every now and then
It's happenin' again wish I could tell you when
Andre this is Andre y'all just gon' have to make amends
He's one of the best ever. Great lyricist, conceptually intelligent, crazy flow. Two of my other favorite versus- R.A. The Rugged Man's verse in Uncommon Valor (2nd verse)

Kool G Rap's verse in The Symphony (3rd verse)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Edit. You are telling people to have respect for the old school by watching a movie that came out last year. That is just plain laughable.

You wanna watch a foundational hip hop movie, put on Beat Street. Or Breakin'! :cool:

Reaction Score
I'm also in the camp that GKMC is a better album from a rap/lyrics perspective. But the message in To Pimp a Butterfly..man it doesn't get much deeper than that. I love both for their uniqueness.

I think this all boils down to one thing. Kendrick is the man. Hell even Section.80 was amazing.
Exactly, and don't even stop at section.80, Overly Dedicated was an amazing mixtape as well. Kendrick is the best of the generation, and next friday he's gonna reiterate it again.

Reaction Score
I haven't gone through the whole list but here are some that pop into my mind, outside of the well-known ones, though some were already mentioned:

MF DOOM
Anderson.Paak
The Roots
De La Soul
Mos Def
KRS-One
Pushsa T
Danny Brown

Oh... and if you like Outkast but haven't checked out Big K.R.I.T., you're missing out!
Took a while but finally some love for The Roots. Not sure anyone has mentioned Snoop Dog either. Hard to leave him off in my opinion. Definitely a fun thread even though I don't listen to that much hip hop anymore. Pharcyde's Runnin' used to get me so pumped.

Reaction Score
As someone who will have a 6 in front of his age before the end of the decade, I'm obviously from the original generation of Hip Hop heads who spent their 20s in the 1980s. I still have my 12 inch of the original "Superrappin" by Flash and the Furious Five from 1979. To me, Melle Mel was the greatest rapper from the first era of recorded rap, which would run from King Tim III, up until Run DMC turned the genre on it's head in 1983. Then you have what I call the "beat box" era. Stripped down beats, with few instruments. LL is the king here. The 12 inch acoustic version of Rock The Bells (not the album version, which is also a monster), is in my opinion, one of the greatest examples of MC-ing ever put to wax. Then comes the sample heavy, Golden Era, of Hip Hop. This gave us a quartet of royalty. KRS-One, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, and Kool G Rap, as well as Public Enemy, and De La Soul. To me, it never got better than this. Still, there was plenty to like in the early 90s from Cube, Dre, Snoop, Cypress Hill, The Geto Boys etc. Illmatic was really the last album that truly moved me. By that time, I was in my late 30s, and my interest in rap began to wane, although I did like Outcast. I have become a card carrying member of the "today's music sucks" crowd. This cuts across all genres. I satisfy my need for "new"music by looking to the past, beyond my era of the late 60s, to the mid 90s. I've been enjoying artists from the original jazz era, such as Ellington, Cab Calloway, Ella, etc. I've gotten into the ska music that came out of Jamaica in the early 60s, and set the table for reggae. Lately, I've been digging into the endless supply of doo wop records, made in the 50s, and early 60s, and enjoying it immensely.

Reaction Score
As someone who will have a 6 in front of his age before the end of the decade, I'm obviously from the original generation of Hip Hop heads who spent their 20s in the 1980s. I still have my 12 inch of the original "Superrappin" by Flash and the Furious Five from 1979. To me, Melle Mel was the greatest rapper from the first era of recorded rap, which would run from King Tim III, up until Run DMC turned the genre on it's head in 1983. Then you have what I call the "beat box" era. Stripped down beats, with few instruments. LL is the king here. The 12 inch acoustic version of Rock The Bells (not the album version, which is also a monster), is in my opinion, one of the greatest examples of MC-ing ever put to wax. Then comes the sample heavy, Golden Era, of Hip Hop. This gave us a quartet of royalty. KRS-One, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, and Kool G Rap, as well as Public Enemy, and De La Soul. To me, it never got better than this. Still, there was plenty to like in the early 90s from Cube, Dre, Snoop, Cypress Hill, The Geto Boys etc. Illmatic was really the last album that truly moved me. By that time, I was in my late 30s, and my interest in rap began to wane, although I did like Outcast. I have become a card carrying member of the "today's music sucks" crowd. This cuts across all genres. I satisfy my need for "new"music by looking to the past, beyond my era of the late 60s, to the mid 90s. I've been enjoying artists from the original jazz era, such as Ellington, Cab Calloway, Ella, etc. I've gotten into the ska music that came out of Jamaica in the early 60s, and set the table for reggae. Lately, I've been digging into the endless supply of doo wop records, made in the 50s, and early 60s, and enjoying it immensely.
My dad is in the same boat as you, literally all the same. If you are willing, you should really listen to Joey Bada$$. I know the name is ignorant, but besides Kendrick and Cole, he is my favorite rapper. He has the boom bap of the late 80's and 90's, and his lyrics are really articulate for a kid that just turned 22. He definitely can compare to rappers like BDK, Tupac and Nas in a lyrical sense. Listen to his mixtape 1999 and you would think it came out in the early 90's.

Reaction Score

I'm similar to you, only being in my mid 30s I'm more into the nas , Jay-Z, biggie Era, although it's a mix because I like some older stuff like pharcyde, and tribe, wreck n effect, onyx and smiff n wessun. But today? I have my rap play list with all my oldies and that's it. The rest is old R&B, jazz (Charlie Parker, train, monk, mile, Getz, Paul Desmond, dexter Gordon, ect...), reggae (old stuff like Marley and toots) and international stuff ( fela kuti, alpha blondy).
Maybe it's an age thing? But this stuff? I just don't enjoy it.

But then this is what I hear

Reaction Score
Not a rapper but I always thought Debbie Harry had an intriguing rap sound.

Reaction Score

MF DOOM
Anderson.Paak
The Roots
De La Soul
Mos Def
KRS-One
Pushsa T
Danny Brown

Was just chiming in here to add big K.r.i.t. One of my favorite southern artists right now. He's legit.

Another Mississippi artist who I enjoy is tito Lopez.

Scarface is always getting slept on.

Enjoy curren$y but he's def not a beast on the mic.

Wish little brother was still together

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom