OT: - Favorite Hip Hop Artist | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Hip Hop Artist

Reaction Score
Only built for Cuban links is up there with illmatic for best albums

Big pun had crazy flow and gets forgotten about

One of the most underrated/overlooked artist is Joe Budden. Dude can spit. Had a solid 1st album, mood muzik series is great and then his others mixtapes are solid.

Reaction Score
College dropout, late registration, and graduation I can listen to for days

Freshman Year the advanced copy leaked on the Hub for college drop out. That was the soundtrack for the first couple of weeks of freshman year. Jesus Walks is still my favorite. I do find myself listening to 808s the most.

Favorites right now: chance the rapper, Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, J Cold, Run the Jewels.

Always love me some Rick Ross too. Can't forget about big Rick

Reaction Score
For me it is Guru(RIP) Gang Starr, Phife Dog(RIP) and Q-Tip and Tribe Called Quest, Method Man and Wu Tang, Leaders(Saw them live at UCONN Spring Break as you know I'm old LOL!), Mos Def, Pete Rock & CL Smooth (TROY love that song), Pharcyde and my name sake 3rdbass LOL!

Almost forgot I need to represent the dirty south so Andre 3000(I think that is what he is called now LOL!) and Outkast!

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Blondie and Sugar Hill Gang.
Truth be told, Eminem at best. Generally dislike the genre and most of the crossover rock bands that bridge the gap. Every once in a while I hear a song that sounds OK, but they are few and far between.

Reaction Score
Jadakiss, Rakim, Nas, Wu, Big, ATCQ, Mos Def & Talib Kweli, Snoop, Eminem, Childish Gambino, Bootcamp, Busta Rhymes, Run DMC, KRS One, Jay Z

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
-Gang Starr-Moment of Truth...great album.
-A Tribe Called Quest
-different than the first two, but enjoy Atmosphere
-Mos Def

Reaction Score
I agree with others that Illmatic by Nas is the greatest. I also have a spot in my heart for the original Wu-Tang album and Raekwon's first album is great (PEACE CONNECTICUT).

I don't listen to much rap, but the last two albums by Kendrick Lamar have been amazing. There's something about his flow and consciousness that I find really interesting.

I tried RTJ but it was all very fast and hard for me to follow, but I've heard great things.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
No workers yet today. I wonder if they will indeed complete by tomorrow. Don't care one way or another, except if it's negatively impacting neighbor(s) w/o service. Interesting traffic-calming technique...

^ and that's what happens when you mistakenly put a reply txt about the porta-potty delivered to the street in front of your house into a thread about hip hop

Reaction Score
No workers yet today. I wonder if they will indeed complete by tomorrow. Don't care one way or another, except if it's negatively impacting neighbor(s) w/o service. Interesting traffic-calming technique...

^ and that's what happens when you mistakenly put a reply txt about the porta-potty delivered to the street in front of your house into a thread about hip hop

Sorry to hear about the porta-potty probs!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I forgot to include that " Mecca and the Soul Brotha" album. Smh . Perfection

Yup. If I did Albums above, I would have put that first on the list.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Jay-z, Nas, Jadakiss, Redman, eminem, outcast, mos def, killer Mike, biggie, pac, big pun, pharoahe monch, gza (liquid swords) , rza, method man, ghost, reakwon, canibus, sticky Fingaz , Busta rhymes, scarface, Beanie Segal, slick Rick (was dying to Indian girl yesterday), Rakim, phife dawg, q tip... off the top of my head. I'm stuck in the 90s though.

Slick Rick! My elementary school anthems!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nah, you just have good taste. I was going to ask if Grandmaster Flash counts. Other than that I'll rather have my fingernails pulled out with pliers than listen to this stuff. I'm sure these guys feel the same way in our old rock threads.

Of course he counts, he the Grandmaster!

I like the old rock threads to btw.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For me it is Guru(RIP) Gang Starr, Phife Dog(RIP) and Q-Tip and Tribe Called Quest, Method Man and Wu Tang, Leaders(Saw them live at UCONN Spring Break as you know I'm old LOL!), Mos Def, Pete Rock & CL Smooth (TROY love that song), Pharcyde and my name sake 3rdbass LOL!

Little known fact: I like LOTNS.

Post/Handle

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Very random but I've been listening to a lot of Australian hip hop. Hilltop Hoods and Bliss n Eso are my favorites

Not that random. Hilltop can actually be good. There's some good Aussie hip hop if you put in the work.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ugh I'm so happy you made this thread.

My hip hop and rap taste is very diverse, but I hate the usual comparisons people draw. Each artist is unique and hard to compare. With that being said here are my favorites and thoughts.

I am not a fan of fake rappers talking about shooting and killing and drugs if they never lived it. See Kanye, Drake, Lil Wayne, Logic, etc. I respect the artists that came from that and use that in their lyrics. I much prefer good lyricism over beats and catchy songs, but I understand the difference. I enjoy good club bangers and simple lyrics too - just can't compare them. These are your Rae Sremmurds, Lil Yachty, Rich Homie Quan, etc.

Biggie's "Ready to Die" is a great album. Transcends time.

Kendrick Lamar is the best rapper in the game right now. Listen to "Good Kid mAAd City" and "To Pimp a Butterfly" - the story in these albums is so deep and to combine that with awesome lyrics, lush visualizations and imagery, and fantastic beats? These projects were some of the best ever made IMO.

Isaiah Rashad's "Cilvia Demo" and "The Sun's Tirade" are some of the best albums produced lately.

I love old school rap too. Gang Starr, Wu Tang Clan, and Mobb Deep to name a few. All of them lived thru what they say. And all their stuff is killer.

I'm a fan of "Illmatic" but Nas in general is OK. People don't realize Illmatic didn't sell when it came out - it was rated poorly. Illmatic caught fire in like 1999ish (?). His other stuff is garbage IMO. I do like AZ tho. He has some fun stuff.

MF Doom, Rakim, Jadakiss, older stuff from Royce da 5'9", and Deltron all had amazing stuff. "3030" is one of my favorite albums. Really one of the first ones to mesh the new-age beat and sounds to rap.

J Cole's stuff is all good. "2014 Forest Hills Drive" is a fantastic album.

Most of Drake's songs are ripped from other people. See Quentin Miller.

Kanye sucks. He has too many writers and his first few albums although considered classics, just didn't do it for me. It's mainly the vibe and message he puts out - it's not about the rap it's about him. Hate that. He thinks he's bigger than the game and you can tell in his music.

I love Lil Yachty and Ugly God because their fun rappers. Lyrics suck and all, no message, but it's entertaining as hell to listen to. Plus Boat is a good dude too watch some of his interviews. Listen to Kyle. He's good. Got a lisp, but he's a good listen. "iSpy" is a banger.

21 Savage is the most real rapper out right now. Even tho his stuff is...good but only to a select crowd.

Chance the Rapper is ok. I think he gets a lot of credit because he's unique but his voice is just awkward. His stuff when you really listen to it isn't that unique or amazing.

I feel like I'm missing someone...

Anyways someone dissect this and rip it apart. Love talking hip hop.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didn't put the obvious, founding acts on my list because their beyond list .
Run Dmc , LL cool J , PE , etc. I went with personal favorites. Music in my IPod at the gym.

Yep, tho I do shuffle in BDP on occasion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom