OT: - Favorite Hip Hop Artist | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Hip Hop Artist

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
LordWillin%27.jpg

Reaction Score
Surprised to see only 1 mention of Outkast. Have to add Dre, Ice Cube, Tribe, Beastie Boys to the list I'll still listen to. I'm sure there are others I missed.
I think there was 2 for outkast including me but they are were a huge band and the reason why Dirty South Music is so popular even though there music actually had way more creativity and writing skillz than your regular music down here. I know I'm a huge Andre 3000 fan.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Apologies to their fans, but God I hate the Beastie Boys.
They were an acquired taste for me. I hated them for years when all I knew was "Brass Monkey," which they played at 3:00 a.m. every night--err, morning--at some godforsaken dance bar in Buffalo when my then-girlfriend, now-wife was in school there.

I became interested some years later when a combination of stuff I read and the recommendation of a friend whose musical tastes I usually trust reintroduced me to them, and my wife got me The Sounds of Science compilation for Christmas that year. "Shadrach" grabbed me immediately, and the rest grew on me from there. Give that one a listen if you don't know it. It's raw and sloppy in spots, but brilliant and full of the kind of "Look what we found!?!" energy that infects the best parts of their music imo.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Saw them at Toads way back. This reminds me (both albums were Neptunes beats I think) of this thing I saw on Twitter thats pretty cool.

nice I saw them at the Middle East in Cambridge, MA & Lupo's in Providence.

Hell Hath, No Fury is a great ablum too.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I don't listen to hip hop myself, but an ex girlfriend of mine was obsessed with Oran Juice Jones if that counts. Then again he was kind of more in the R&B category.

Reaction Score
Saw them at Toads way back. This reminds me (both albums were Neptunes beats I think) of this thing I saw on Twitter thats pretty cool.

Cool post. I had no idea he produced Alright.

Reaction Score
I tried to get into Kendrick Lamar but couldn't. But I was glad that that led me to Kamasi Washington, whose album The Epic lives up to its name and is one of the most interesting new jazz releases I've heard in a long time. I've probably listened to that album more than any other in the past year because I have found it a great album to play while I am doing work that requires focus and creativity.

yeah i completely agree, tried to give "To pimp a butterfly" a try, really couldnt get into it. Maybe its good by today's standards. And Kamasi Washington is great, seen him live twice.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
yeah i completely agree, tried to give "To pimp a butterfly" a try, really couldnt get into it. Maybe its good by today's standards. And Kamasi Washington is great, seen him live twice.
Yeah, I saw him in New Orleans last year. Great show.

Reaction Score

I think to TPAB is extremely overrated and this is coming from someone who loves both of Kendricks mixtapes (Section 80 and Overly Dedicated) and his first album. I guess it's an accomplishment as a piece of art or something but to me it's not a great listen. Definitely not accessible for a first-time listener. It did turn me on to Flying Lotus and Thundercat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom