OT: - Favorite Hip Hop Artist | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Hip Hop Artist

Reaction Score
Damn wasn't that great. Way below his earlier albums.
Damn is amazing. Can't really tell yet if it's on the level of GKMC and TPAB but to say it's "way below" is a huge exaggeration. "Love", "Fear", "God", "DNA" and especially "Duckworth" are great.

Reaction Score
Damn is amazing. Can't really tell yet if it's on the level of GKMC and TPAB but to say it's "way below" is a huge exaggeration. "Love", "Fear", "God", "DNA" and especially "Duckworth" are great.

I see people dumping on Loyalty, God and Love as they are are more pop sounding than his past work and I can respect that even though I think they fit in with the album. The lyricism isn't as immediately stunning as some of TPAB but I think it is truly unique and impressive production wise. I like that it is immediately accessible and has good stand alone songs but as you continue to listen to it, you pick up more and more and realize this is another cohesive album. XXX is a crazy track and my favorite may be Pride (or Duckworth).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. He has set his expectations so unbelievably high and the fact that basically everyone is going batsh!t over this album says something.

Reaction Score
I see people dumping on Loyalty, God and Love as they are are more pop sounding than his past work and I can respect that even though I think they fit in with the album. The lyricism isn't as immediately stunning as some of TPAB but I think it is truly unique and impressive production wise. I like that it is immediately accessible and has good stand alone songs but as you continue to listen to it, you pick up more and more and realize this is another cohesive album. XXX is a crazy track and my favorite may be Pride (or Duckworth).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. He has set his expectations so unbelievably high and the fact that basically everyone is going batsh!t over this album says something.
Exactly. As I said earlier in the thread, I think GKMC is a top 5 rap album of all time, it's gonna be near impossible to top it in my book. But this album is so good. There aren't really any soft spots. Neither of us even mentioned "Feel" or "Element" which are amazing too. Give it a few weeks and people are gonna start to realize how good this is.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Humble is the only song people will go back and listen to years from now. His other albums had multiple bangers. He has higher expectations.

Reaction Score
Humble is the only song people will go back and listen to years from now. His other albums had multiple bangers. He has higher expectations.

See, I think Humble is good but is one of the "weaker" tracks on the album. Nothing on this album hits like DNA IMO especially when the beat switches up. Not many from his previous albums either, really, probably just Alright, MAAD City, Ronald Reagan era maybe.

Reaction Score
See, I think Humble is good but is one of the "weaker" tracks on the album. Nothing on this album hits like DNA IMO especially when the beat switches up. Not many from his previous albums either, really, probably just Alright, MAAD City, Ronald Reagan era maybe.
Agree on humble, IMO the video overtakes the actual song. Good song don't get me wrong, but the video is better. And yeah, K Dot isn't really a rapper who goes hard on tracks, not that he can't, see his Control verse, but he chooses to stick with his flow, which is sick. The ones you mentioned and Ignorance is Bliss are the only ones off the top of my head I can think of where he aggressively kills a verse. But that's the thing with him, he doesn't need to do that to put on a show. He's super flexible in his techniques.

Reaction Score
Agree on humble, IMO the video overtakes the actual song. Good song don't get me wrong, but the video is better. And yeah, K Dot isn't really a rapper who goes hard on tracks, not that he can't, see his Control verse, but he chooses to stick with his flow, which is sick. The ones you mentioned and Ignorance is Bliss are the only ones off the top of my head I can think of where he aggressively kills a verse. But that's the thing with him, he doesn't need to do that to put on a show. He's super flexible in his techniques.

I think the versatility is what I loved so much on this album. The flows vary so much throughout the album. He damn near sounds like Frank Ocean on a few tracks, then goes back to tearing up a beat, then goes passive and introspective, then completely bites/mimics Drake on LOVE, which I enjoyed a lot more than I actually enjoy Drake.

Reaction Score
I think the versatility is what I loved so much on this album. The flows vary so much throughout the album. He damn near sounds like Frank Ocean on a few tracks, then goes back to tearing up a beat, then goes passive and introspective, then completely bites/mimics Drake on LOVE, which I enjoyed a lot more than I actually enjoy Drake.
True. And not sure if Frank has been mentioned here, not really a rapper but Blonde was amazing in it's own right.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Fwiw the heart part four was a level above everything but humble imo.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
BDPByAllMeans.jpg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Like any Kendrick album, you need to listen to it multiple times to get its true meaning to really appreciate it.

With that being said:

Reaction Score
He probably makes more $$ singing on the big pop hits like "Bad Blood," Maroon 5 tune, etc.

He is smooth. My kids always turn on 93.7 in car, so hear lots of popular stuff. Like some stuff from all of the bigger ones now Drake, Future, Big Sean, Post Malone, etc.

Like any Kendrick album, you need to listen to it multiple times to get its true meaning to really appreciate it.

With that being said:

Reaction Score
He probably makes more $$ singing on the big pop hits like "Bad Blood," Maroon 5 tune, etc.

He is smooth. My kids always turn on 93.7 in car, so hear lots of popular stuff. Like some stuff from all of the bigger ones now Drake, Future, Big Sean, Post Malone, etc.

Did someone hijack your computer? You never cease to shock me. Kudos to you. If you like those artists, you will probably like some of the tracks off this new Kendrick album, at least sonically. Maybe skip the tracks where he bashes Fox News ;).

Reaction Score
So who thinks new kendrick dropping tonight?

I don't. But I am hyped regardless. Reading the gossip on r/kendricklamar, it seems like a stretch to me but I wouldn't put it past him. goshdarn, can you imagine if he actually dropped an album tmo/tonight that turned out to be a classic? People would already start calling him the GOAT.

On another note, you seem like you are pretty in tune with the rap scene right now and I have been on the outskirts the past 2-3 years. Do you have any under the radar guys you think people need to be listening to? I like Logic and don't think he would qualify but your other rec was a good one and a guy I had never even heard of.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't. But I am hyped regardless. Reading the gossip on r/kendricklamar, it seems like a stretch to me but I wouldn't put it past him. goshdarn, can you imagine if he actually dropped an album tmo/tonight that turned out to be a classic? People would already start calling him the GOAT.

On another note, you seem like you are pretty in tune with the rap scene right now and I have been on the outskirts the past 2-3 years. Do you have any under the radar guys you think people need to be listening to? I like Logic and don't think he would qualify but your other rec was a good one and a guy I had never even heard of.
Thanks.

$avage - 6 God Remix (Official Video) Shot By @WillKilledEm

In case you didn't listen to the FGE cyphers, they're really good. 1 2 3

I'll think of more and post later.

Reaction Score
Listen to daddy's birthday by young thug if you wanna know where hip hop at rn. Hit

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Listen to daddy's birthday by young thug if you wanna know where hip hop at rn. Hit

dude really coulda come up with a better name.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom