Fanta: St. John's Hiring Rick Pitino | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fanta: St. John's Hiring Rick Pitino

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
“As a proud and passionate St. John’s alum, I’ve waited over 15 years for St. John’s to hire a Hall of Fame coach like Rick Pitino,” Repole, the Vitamin Water co-founder, business mogul and Queens native, said Saturday afternoon, as St. John’s continued its pursuit of Pitino, the Iona coach. “He’s the type of coach that the University has deserved since the day Louie Carnesecca retired.” <-
Repole is big into the horses (owns the Derby favorite) and Pitino used to be. I'm sure they have crossed paths over the years.

Reaction Score
Q: How can you tell Pitino is lying?

A: His lips are moving.
Would they take him back?
Pitino isn’t turning down St. John’s for Providence. As down as it has been for so long, St. John’s has a higher upside than Providence and Pitino isn’t moving from his house near Winged Foot to go somewhere else If he can avoid it.

Reaction Score
Interesting move. A few years ago he didn't want to get back into big-time basketball. Iona was just right. Now that he's getting back in St John's is an interesting move. It seems difficult to consistently win there. I suspect their budget is pennies. That worked in the Carneseca days. Back when 1/2 the best guards came from NYC. Back when you could take a cab to visit recruits.

Wonder if he considered Cuse... or even Providence.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Interesting move. A few years ago he didn't want to get back into big-time basketball. Iona was just right. Now that he's getting back in St John's is an interesting move. It seems difficult to consistently win there. I suspect their budget is pennies. That worked in the Carneseca days. Back when 1/2 the best guards came from NYC. Back when you could take a cab to visit recruits.
And SJU could legally pay recruits back then because they didn't have housing.

Reaction Score
Assuming Pitino does leave, Iona could do much worse than Tobin Anderson as a replacement. He's taken these FDU guys to another level. Should have won the NEC tournament as well, they got hosed down the stretch in that final game.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If ST. Johns was smart they would settle this right now. Watch them go the UConn route and totally botch it though.
I think they will handle it better than UConn did Ollie. That said, isn't it impossible for them to "go the UConn route" since they are a private school and don't have to jump through the same union-related hoops that our state school did (or should have done)?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think they will handle it better than UConn did Ollie. That said, isn't it impossible for them to "go the UConn route" since they are a private school and don't have to jump through the same union-related hoops that our state school did (or should have done)?

Thats true, but they certainly dont want a 5 year court case dragging around. Just give the guy some money and get on with it with Pitino.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t know how realistic the comparison to Connecticut really is. UConn includes its coaches in its teachers union collective-bargaining agreement, and that produced a quirky result where the NCAA compliance provisions were completely written out of the agreement.

That said, it’s always better if the parties can come to an it’s always better if the parties can come to a mutual agreement, rather than litigate.

Reaction Score
assuming pitino to SJ and pending PC's next hire, it's a tossup between Nova and Depaul for worst coach in the conference. kinda shocking.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This is a very bad look for SJU, and a case that they are virtually guaranteed to lose. "Cause" is an incredibly high bar, as UConn learned. I have no idea if Anderson is a member of a union or not. Just because SJU is private does not mean there is not a union.

If I was Pitino, I would tell them to pay Anderson or fudge off. I wouldn't work at a place that wipes their butt with contracts they signed.

Reaction Score
Have a hard time trusting a guy who is always wearing a white Adidas track suit.. Think Rick is just playing PC vs SJU to bump up his asking price..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom