Fanta: St. John's Hiring Rick Pitino | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fanta: St. John's Hiring Rick Pitino

Reaction Score
His commentary at the presser about the defeat by UConn showing him what it takes to win was telling. He wants a bigger stage again. He knows he can't win at Iona. I question if he can win at St. John's either, but that's another matter. St. John's isn't a very attractive school to top recruits who have other options.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Because it would be really poor form. Providence has done everything right by Cooley. They kept extending him with major pay increases, he's one of the best paid coaches out there, they gave him the pay increases for his assistants, he's from Providence, all he does is preach loyalty and family...

I think he quit on his team and it showed the past few weeks.
If he did in fact do those things he’s got to go. And providence can’t pay him what Georgetown will. Plus Ed has a feeling for the Georgetown program from his relationship with the Thompson’s, and other reasons I can recognize but never really understand. Also, F providence.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Because it would be really poor form. Providence has done everything right by Cooley. They kept extending him with major pay increases, he's one of the best paid coaches out there, they gave him the pay increases for his assistants, he's from Providence, all he does is preach loyalty and family...

But all this is happening to Providence.

This is the good part.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think it’s gonna happen but Fanta’s “news” is that SJU wants to hire Pitino and that Pitino is interested. My dog could have broken that “story.”

caw

Reaction Score
If/When Cooley leaves PC how quickly does that team collapse. Faster or slower than they did against UK?

Reaction Score
PC fans now praying they can put a full court press on Pitino before the clock strikes midnight. Sad.

Reaction Score
His commentary at the presser about the defeat by UConn showing him what it takes to win was telling. He wants a bigger stage again. He knows he can't win at Iona. I question if he can win at St. John's either, but that's another matter. St. John's isn't a very attractive school to top recruits who have other options.
Having a great coach is the biggest factor in being able to attract top players. Look at Gonzaga, Bama, Arkansas, Baylor etc. None of these schools are historic basketball powers, but they've been able to attract top recruits because they all have some of the best coaches in the sport. I think Pitino will be able to get top 25-40 recruiting classes at SJU and his coaching will elevate those players to likely being a top 25 team year in year out.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
IMO Hurley and his men are the best recruiters in the conference, but I'm not sure that would be the case anymore with Pitino (and his hookers) in the mix. Would anyone else be a little concerned about Pitino moving into Kimani territory? I would expect Kimani to move on soon, too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why? I want that bad.
Maybe the ‘secret mole’ FriarJ was talking about the Friar board was actually Cooley.
See I Know GIF by Tristen J. Winger

Reaction Score

providence has done more for cooley than cooley has done for providence. he's totally overpaid and a bona fide loser when it matters.

Reaction Score
Why? I want that bad.
Coaches that can do what Cooley's done at PC are very few and far between. Georgetown could have their pick across the country and I wish they had brought in another big name to improve the conference. By default, PC will come out of this with a downgrade

I'm enjoying it now of course. But it will be less fun when they're a dumpster fire in a year or two

Reaction Score

-> The billionaire alumnus is firmly behind the potential hire and ready to get involved, he told The Post in an exclusive interview.

With the advent of Name, Image and Likeness (NIL), his deep pockets would certainly benefit the Red Storm, who are involved in the NIL space with a collective, Storm Marketing.

“As a proud and passionate St. John’s alum, I’ve waited over 15 years for St. John’s to hire a Hall of Fame coach like Rick Pitino,” Repole, the Vitamin Water co-founder, business mogul and Queens native, said Saturday afternoon, as St. John’s continued its pursuit of Pitino, the Iona coach. “He’s the type of coach that the University has deserved since the day Louie Carnesecca retired.” <-

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

-> The billionaire alumnus is firmly behind the potential hire and ready to get involved, he told The Post in an exclusive interview.

With the advent of Name, Image and Likeness (NIL), his deep pockets would certainly benefit the Red Storm, who are involved in the NIL space with a collective, Storm Marketing.

“As a proud and passionate St. John’s alum, I’ve waited over 15 years for St. John’s to hire a Hall of Fame coach like Rick Pitino,” Repole, the Vitamin Water co-founder, business mogul and Queens native, said Saturday afternoon, as St. John’s continued its pursuit of Pitino, the Iona coach. “He’s the type of coach that the University has deserved since the day Louie Carnesecca retired.” <-

Heard Isaiah Wong has reached out to Repole.

This is the smart way!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom