Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne

Reaction Score
Agree. We have to look for progress during the season. But 3 of the first 4 games are UCF, @Boise and @ Cuse. It's hard not to see a young defense struggle with that. I don't see 6 wins this season and I am a glass half full fan, but I just don't.

Having true freshman get significant time on the lines is good for the future but not so good for short term. The D is going to struggle mightily again. While there was little hope for future last season I do see some signs that some players like Coyle and Beavers are ready to really break out. So that is what my focus will be on this year. Bracing myself for 2-3 wins.

Reaction Score
Having true freshman get significant time on the lines is good for the future but not so good for short term. The D is going to struggle mightily again. While there was little hope for future last season I do see some signs that some players like Coyle and Beavers are ready to really break out. So that is what my focus will be on this year. Bracing myself for 2-3 wins.

Exactly where I am.

Reaction Score
I want to see this team at least go 6-6. They can do it if they are competitive
Hell, I want 13-0. But I am curbing my enthusiasm, keeping a jaundiced eye. We have seen this movie before and it never turns out as well as we think it will in fall practice when all the rose colored Oakleys are being worn. Three wins would meet expectations. Anything more would exceed expectations and send expectations for next year soaring into bowling territory.

Reaction Score
Exactly where I am.
I disagree. If team wins 2 games HCRE should be coaching for his job in year 3. Preseason Massey ratings for 6 worst opponents are 188, 121, 108, 106, 91, and 86 with 4 of those at home. UCF is at #12 while the other 5 opponents average about #48 with the best at 37. This is a schedule that should never get only 2 victories.
Enough pre season excuses. Talent last year was better than team played. HCRE coached last year with an eye for the future (defensive scheme in spite of type talent had) so future starts this year.
This team needs to score, not just move ball for 400 yards a game. This team needs to put pressure on opponents QB, not have 3 slow guys chasing QB and so many defenders in no man's land guarding no one.
His job is to win games. So, start winning. This is not year one, this is year 2. Teams are supposed to take a big step up in performance the 2nd year with a new coaching staff, get it done.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy to look at our roster and realize that most of our starters will still be here two years from now. The only major guys we lose will be Peart and Hergy
That’s the part that I love about this roster. And it will be full of guys that Randy has recruited and developed over the course of those years.
Even next year when we play both Big Ten schools we’ll have a more experienced defense to be competitive in those games. Even though both schools were at the bottom of their leagues, a good showing there could create some positive momentum. I would say Indiana is the better of the two but both are winnable games in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt Randy is taking us in the right direction. And showing an improvement in wins from last year would be great. But even if we get good QB play, it's hard seeing the defense getting to anywhere near average given what we lost from last year's horror show. And, even those who are thrilled Edsall is back should know from history that he's not a miracle worker -- he's someone who can get it done only after tearing down what existed and rebuilding it his way.

I expect another tough season. But if we have a good QB for 2019, that's when I want to be pushing back to .500.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt Randy is taking us in the right direction. And showing an improvement in wins from last year would be great. But even if we get good QB play, it's hard seeing the defense getting to anywhere near average given what we lost from last year's horror show. And, even those who are thrilled Edsall is back should know from history that he's not a miracle worker -- he's someone who can get it done only after tearing down what existed and rebuilding it his way.

I expect another tough season. But if we have a good QB for 2019, that's when I want to be pushing back to .500.
We were sllllloooooowwwww up front on D last year.. then , on top that, we wore down late in games (i.e. Boston College game).. Teams could do what they wanted to do to our D, AT WILL, in the 2nd half of football games.. we were like running water on that side of the ball..
This year... I'd be shocked if we see the same end result.. That's why I see us surprising some people..

Reaction Score
Reminder guys.. we're not playing a top 10 BCS playoff schedule, which, in turn means we gotta realistic shot at some of these games... If any of Edsall 1.0 rubs off on 2.0, 6-6 is attainable..

Reaction Score
We were sllllloooooowwwww up front on D last year.. then , on top that, we wore down late in games (i.e. Boston College game).. Teams could do what they wanted to do to our D, AT WILL, in the 2nd half of football games.. we were like running water on that side of the ball..
This year... I'd be shocked if we see the same end result.. That's why I see us surprising some people..

It is possible that, despite all the individual question marks, we are better on D. It's also possible (I view it as likely) that we are going to miss Shirreffs a lot more than some here think.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents is the defense will be burned by big passing plays like past seasons because the cornerback position is still at square 1 basically and we're still young at safety, but this squad will force more turnovers and have more sacks than previous years. I am confident of that.

Reaction Score
I disagree. If team wins 2 games HCRE should be coaching for his job in year 3. Preseason Massey ratings for 6 worst opponents are 188, 121, 108, 106, 91, and 86 with 4 of those at home. UCF is at #12 while the other 5 opponents average about #48 with the best at 37. This is a schedule that should never get only 2 victories.
Enough pre season excuses. Talent last year was better than team played. HCRE coached last year with an eye for the future (defensive scheme in spite of type talent had) so future starts this year.
This team needs to score, not just move ball for 400 yards a game. This team needs to put pressure on opponents QB, not have 3 slow guys chasing QB and so many defenders in no man's land guarding no one.
His job is to win games. So, start winning. This is not year one, this is year 2. Teams are supposed to take a big step up in performance the 2nd year with a new coaching staff, get it done.

Yes, that's exactly what we need next year is our 5th HC and our 7th OC this decade coaching a team littered with guys recruited by other staffs. Good plan.

Reaction Score
I have complete confidence the O will move the ball if the play calling is as imaginative as last year. But I rather doubt that the D can get as many stops as the opponents can get on UConn. I also think the D will give up yardage in big chunks. So that leaves us with likely wins over URI and ECU. There are enough opportunities to get a couple or even three more depending on the learning curve and injuries.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I keep thinking no matter how much younger the defense gets, it can't be any worse than last year's defense.

Then I have 100 "Hold My Beer" memes flash through my head of real life events and I get nervous about this year's D.

Agree with most that teams will routinely pass for 400 yards and hang 40 on this team. As of now there is no known ability to rush the passer, cover receivers and back or tackle once ball is caught.

Reaction Score
No

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I keep thinking no matter how much younger the defense gets, it can't be any worse than last year's defense.

Then I have 100 "Hold My Beer" memes flash through my head of real life events and I get nervous about this year's D.

Agree with most that teams will routinely pass for 400 yards and hang 40 on this team. As of now there is no known ability to rush the passer, cover receivers and back or tackle once ball is caught.

I think we’ll be as bad, but the numbers won’t be as bad because our offensive style of play will be a bit slower. Our corners are babies

Reaction Score
Here is why it will be a winning season:
  • The running game will be much, much better. Vastly improved OLine, good backs and a QB with serious wheels.
  • The passing game will be way better. Tight ends in the mix, good group of experienced receivers.
  • The pace of play will limit opponent's possessions.
  • Turnovers. Last year was a bad year for takeaways. A few more will make a difference.
  • Tackling and aggressive play will be much better. The freshmen can hit and some of returning players are improved.
  • Attitude is way better and there is a expectation to compete.
An earlier comment about missing Sherriffs could also be true IF the Line and running game fail. Most of his value was in playing a sandlot game when he had to. I expect our overall game to improve enough to actually run plays and progressions.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's exactly what we need next year is our 5th HC and our 7th OC this decade coaching a team littered with guys recruited by other staffs. Good plan.
OK. After the 2-10 season in 2018 what's ok next? How about another 2-10, still his job is ok? What about all the HCRE "competition" talk? Each player is competing every day for his job/playing time. Why wouldn't HCRE be competing to keep his job. 3-9, 2-10; got to expect big improvement following year, no?
No way is it ok to go 2-10 against this schedule. Bob Diaco went 2-10 and he treated OOC games his 1st year as practices. After 2 years his teams were 8- 17 with a bowl appearance. So, its ok for HCRE2.0 to be 5-19 after 2 seasons?
Bob Diaco, who couldn't coach at all had a team lead by Shirreffs, Newsome and Summers and went 6-7 while HCRE2.0 had the senior version of these guys and went 3-9.
No way, shape or form is a 2-10 season ok in 2018. Coach to win this year.
Not saying he has to take 0-12 team to 6-6 and then 13-0 but taking a 3-9 team to 3-9 and 2-10 isn't good enough.
I expect a minimum of 4 wins with an reasonable upside of a bowl. 2 wins puts HCRE2.0 and his staff on notice.

Reaction Score
It's starting to sound like our LB's will not be as deficient as first predicted. But they will have a learning curve throughout the season so some costly miscues are expected.

I think the D line could be decent as the year goes on. We should be rotating due to inexperience but we have some big athletes, and if Murphy can up his game a bit we have stability in the middle. If someone starts taking snaps from him that tells me they're pretty good.

DBacks are a work in progress but most people expect improvement with guys already in the system.

Offense continues to be about the o-line. If they can give a little time and open some holes we could really surprise some teams. Pindell could be very productive in that scenario if he just does what's asked.

5 wins should be the likely bar to reach. 4 would be a disappointment relative to expectations in year 2.

UCF is going to light a lot of teams up on offense so lets not freak out after week 1. It may take until Cincy before expectations solidify for wins and losses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Massey has us ranked at 114, so why would we be expected to win more than 2-3 games based on that logic?

Edsall isn't going anywhere after this season unless he is accused of murder. He's got a heck of a rebuild on his hands and half his defense isn't shaving yet. I think we'll really start to see his efforts bare fruit in year 3-4, but I think the first half of this season could be pretty brutal. I certainly hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
I do think the offense will be better and with a bad defense having some ability to run the ball and change tempo (not to Diaco style glacial slow but to run time off the clock when the d is struggling) will be helpful. I’ve said a million times Lashlee didn’t help matters when we went 3-out in about 10 seconds.

Reaction Score
OK. After the 2-10 season in 2018 what's ok next? How about another 2-10, still his job is ok? What about all the HCRE "competition" talk? Each player is competing every day for his job/playing time. Why wouldn't HCRE be competing to keep his job. 3-9, 2-10; got to expect big improvement following year, no?
No way is it ok to go 2-10 against this schedule. Bob Diaco went 2-10 and he treated OOC games his 1st year as practices. After 2 years his teams were 8- 17 with a bowl appearance. So, its ok for HCRE2.0 to be 5-19 after 2 seasons?
Bob Diaco, who couldn't coach at all had a team lead by Shirreffs, Newsome and Summers and went 6-7 while HCRE2.0 had the senior version of these guys and went 3-9.
No way, shape or form is a 2-10 season ok in 2018. Coach to win this year.
Not saying he has to take 0-12 team to 6-6 and then 13-0 but taking a 3-9 team to 3-9 and 2-10 isn't good enough.
I expect a minimum of 4 wins with an reasonable upside of a bowl. 2 wins puts HCRE2.0 and his staff on notice.
You underestimate how screwed up the program was. Edsall gets 5 years. If we still suck then he might be our last football coach

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom