Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne | The Boneyard

Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne

Reaction Score
On Campus Media Day Coverage:

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 5m 5 minutes ago
"Everybody should be good to go, really don't have any injury concerns." #UConn coach Randy Edsall on eve of the start of preseason camp

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 6m 6 minutes ago
Noel Brouse moves from defensive line to offensive line for #UConn

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 5m 5 minutes ago
Randy Edsall said move to offensive line fits #UConn's Noel Brouse better

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly
Edsall said Noel Brouse has been moved from defensive line to offensive line, will wear No. 79. "I just felt that would be a better opportunity for him and playing on that side of the ball fits him better."

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 1m 1 minute ago
Edsall says he expects Kevin Mensah and Marvin Washington, who had academic issues in the spring, to be back in his good graces.

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 25s 25 seconds ago
Edsall says RB Kevin Mensah has "done what he has to do" in regards to academic issues last spring. Back in the good graces, it seems.

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 23s 24 seconds ago
Edsall says QB David Pindell is a much more confident, more comfortable player.

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 39s 39 seconds ago
"You guys won't see it because he doesn't say anything, but I see a more confident player." -Randy Edsall on QB David Pindell, who won't win any press conferences but will look to win some football games in 2018.

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 2m 2 minutes ago
Edsall on new OC John Dunn: "He'll call the plays" unless @jeffjacobs123 wants to call the plays.

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 11s 12 seconds ago
Randy Edsall said the way #UConn will run the offense under coordinator John Dunn is similar to what QB David Pindell ran in junior college

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 22s 23 seconds ago
OC John Dunn and QB David Pindell "have a really good relationship and knows what [Dunn] expects out of him," Edsall said. "John will play to the strengths of who we are and what our abilities are."

Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 31s 32 seconds ago
Edsall on TE Zordan Holman: “If we get him out of the jujitsu mode and MMA mode and more into a blocking tight end, there’s a role for him.”

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 37s 38 seconds ago
Edsall: "Everybody on this roster is going to have the chance to play this year" with the new redshirt rule.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 17s 17 seconds ago
Edsall on heavy losses on defense: “I’m not really concerned at all because it is what it is and this is what we have to deal with.”

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 33s 33 seconds ago
Is it harder to recruit now at UConn than it was during the Big East days? "Yeah. It's a fact," Edsall says.

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout
Edsall: “This league is a very good league. It just doesn’t get the respect that it deserves. That’s one thing we have to continue to prove to people.”

Patrick Eaton-Robb‏Verified account @peatonrobb 59s 60 seconds ago
Randy Edsall acknowledges that recruiting is harder because of #UConn's conference and that the Huskies are losing recruiting battles to Power 5 schools. "It's a fact."

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 18s 19 seconds ago
Edsall on Eli Thomas: "He reminds me of some of the guys here before, Alfred Fincher, Ryan Krug. He's just one of those guys that all he does is go hard."

Edsall on Ryan Crozier: "He's probably as healthy as he has been."

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 1m 1 minute ago
Edsall on grad transfer DL Ryan Fines: "When he got here, he wasn't in the kind of shape we expected him to be in. He's going to have an opportunity. He's a big guy that has some quickness and power to him."

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 1m1 minute ago
Edsall: "I'm excited about the four freshman we have coming in on the defensive line. We haven't had four guys like that on the defensive line."

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 16s 16 seconds ago
Edsall says the four incoming frosh D linemen -- Lwal Uguak, Pierce DeVaughn, Jonathan Pace and Travis Jones -- are intriguing. "We haven't had four guys like this come in as defensive linemen."

P.S. - thanks for the patience while it was "locked" - tough to keep the flow of treats in order without it.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Wow, huge praise for Eli Thomas. I pray those legs hold up and he stays healthy. Guy has been through a ton, really rooting for him.

We also look to be pretty deep at some key skill positions on offense. RB isn’t a huge worry, as it seems we have two proven guys and a couple more options to push for reps in Scott and Black. TE has a couple great athletes in Davis and McLean who will both be receiving threats, and Rose has ability...we just need a good in line blocker there, as most of those guys are converted TEs. WR is seven deep with talent at least...Hergy, beals, skanes, Dixon, Donaldson, Williams, buss. I’m starting to feel optimistic, this is dangerous

Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 31s 32 seconds ago
Edsall on TE Zordan Holman: “If we get him out of the jujitsu mode and MMA mode and more into a blocking tight end, there’s a role for him.”

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 37s 38 seconds ago
Edsall: "Everybody on this roster is going to have the chance to play this year" with the new redshirt rule.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 17s 17 seconds ago
Edsall on heavy losses on defense: “I’m not really concerned at all because it is what it is and this is what we have to deal with.”

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 33s 33 seconds ago
Is it harder to recruit now at UConn than it was during the Big East days? "Yeah. It's a fact," Edsall says.

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout
Edsall: “This league is a very good league. It just doesn’t get the respect that it deserves. That’s one thing we have to continue to prove to people.”

Patrick Eaton-Robb‏Verified account @peatonrobb 59s 60 seconds ago
Randy Edsall acknowledges that recruiting is harder because of #UConn's conference and that the Huskies are losing recruiting battles to Power 5 schools. "It's a fact."

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 18s 19 seconds ago
Edsall on Eli Thomas: "He reminds me of some of the guys here before, Alfred Fincher, Ryan Krug. He's just one of those guys that all he does is go hard."

Edsall on Ryan Crozier: "He's probably as healthy as he has been."

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 1m 1 minute ago
Edsall on grad transfer DL Ryan Fines: "When he got here, he wasn't in the kind of shape we expected him to be in. He's going to have an opportunity. He's a big guy that has some quickness and power to him."

Daniel Connolly‏ @DanielVConnolly 1m1 minute ago
Edsall: "I'm excited about the four freshman we have coming in on the defensive line. We haven't had four guys like that on the defensive line."

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 16s 16 seconds ago
Edsall says the four incoming frosh D linemen -- Lwal Uguak, Pierce DeVaughn, Jonathan Pace and Travis Jones -- are intriguing. "We haven't had four guys like this come in as defensive linemen."

P.S. - thanks for the patience while it was "locked" - tough to keep the flow of treats in order without it.
Sounds to me that Holman has a defensive type mind. DE or LB? a better fit?

Reaction Score
Wow, huge praise for Eli Thomas. I pray those legs hold up and he stays healthy. Guy has been through a ton, really rooting for him.

We also look to be pretty deep at some key skill positions on offense. RB isn’t a huge worry, as it seems we have two proven guys and a couple more options to push for reps in Scott and Black. TE has a couple great athletes in Davis and McLean who will both be receiving threats, and Rose has ability...we just need a good in line blocker there, as most of those guys are converted TEs. WR is seven deep with talent at least...Hergy, beals, skanes, Dixon, Donaldson, Williams, buss. I’m starting to feel optimistic, this is dangerous
Thomas is one of my favs already... Sounds like we'll be seeing a lot of him over the next few years...

Reaction Score
My dad taught me a long time ago that if the coach is riding you, that means you have potential but he is frustrated that you aren't showing it. Its worse if he ignores you -- then he has given up on you.

I hope Holman and Fines take Edsall's very public comments that way. I have always had high hopes for Holman. My experience with martial arts dudes on the football field was always positive. I was a little disappointed in Fines when I first learned he arrived on campus not in the best shape. I know we aren't the U or in the ACC, but the AAC isn't Pop Warner either. We NEED him to be good enough to start for us so the young ones get any developmental time they need. It's #earnednotgiven (Yes, I went there.)

Reaction Score
Sounds to me that Holman has a defensive type mind. DE or LB? a better fit?

Maybe. He was voted best defensive player in Maine by somebody his senior year of high school. But maybe at only 251 with a 6'5" frame, he is not strong/dense enough to be a 3-3-5 defensive lineman. As a redshirt junior maybe its a little to late to convert him.

Of course the coaches know more about what he can/can't/could potentially do than us.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Okay degenerates:

How many TDs will Pindell have tomorrow?
Will any LBs have a sack?
Who wins breakfast?

I'll go first:
-Pindell will run for three TDs and toss seven more. Its a whale of an opening day.
-Eli Thomas and Beavers each have a QB sack (sorry Bisack). The LB sack drought ends this year.
-I think Fines will win breakfast. Avocado Toast and a tall pile of turkey bacon.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@979ESPN did a nice job w/ coverage today. Bob Joyce interviews w/ Edsall, Dunn, Crocker, Pindell, Mayala, Peart, etc...
Of those, I'm most interested to hear Dunn and Crocker.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have an insight into UConn's new JUCO offense?

And has anyone talked to Jacobs on his play calling philosophy?

Reaction Score
Does anyone have an insight into UConn's new JUCO offense?

Not new - very similar to last year’s offense per Piendel - a lot of shotgun, no huddle (but paced) w/ short/moderate passing.

Reaction Score
God, its good to be back to talking about practice (sorry, A.I.), the upcoming season and depth chart based on news, actual roster, practices, etc. and beyond the speculating we all engage in to fill the offseason. Welcome back pups

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom