Fair pay to play act just signed in to law in CA. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Fair pay to play act just signed in to law in CA.

Reaction Score
There is an old saying that every problem has a solution that is simple, straightforward and completely wrong. That applies in this case. If the problem is Conference commissioner and coaches are getting paid too much, the solution isn’t to create a different problem by paying players. It is university officials acting responsibly and taking control. And setting rational salaries. Randy Edsall is getting paid $1 million/ year and that is considered a bargain basement salary. If the problem is shoe companies or boosters or coaches are illegally paying players, the solution isn’t paying players, it is cracking down HARD on the cheaters.

Reaction Score
How are you going to feel if you are the offensive guard , tackle, or any member of the defense who watchs his quarterback, wide reiever, or running back as they start to get this money because I'm not sure what percentage of the photos on shirts or anything else will be on any other position.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
How are you going to feel if you are the offensive guard , tackle, or any member of the defense who watchs his quarterback, wide reiever, or running back as they start to get this money because I'm not sure what percentage of the photos on shirts or anything else will be on any other position.
You'll have to suck it up and be happy you are on tv and still getting a free education. What else are you going to do, quit?

Reaction Score
The squirrelly issue will be determining fair value for someone’s name and likeness. If it’s a market driven system what’s to prevent a booster from telling a high school QB recruit “come to My Favorite University and I’ll put your face on billboards around town and I’ll pay you $100,000 for displaying your likeness.” Who determines what fair value is—and is it relevant when determining whether this new policy is a positive for the sport or the slippery slope many predicted.

Reaction Score
You'll have to suck it up and be happy you are on tv and still getting a free education. What else are you going to do, quit?

Transfer portal. Go play for a team like us with no primadonna superstars and let my old QB teammate take a few for the team.

Reaction Score
There is an old saying that every problem has a solution that is simple, straightforward and completely wrong. That applies in this case. If the problem is Conference commissioner and coaches are getting paid too much, the solution isn’t to create a different problem by paying players. It is university officials acting responsibly and taking control. And setting rational salaries. Randy Edsall is getting paid $1 million/ year and that is considered a bargain basement salary. That is insane If the problem is shoe companies or boosters or coaches are illegally paying players, the solution isn’t paying players, it is cracking down HARD on the cheaters.
The coaches get paid insane money, because the money is there. If the money is not there and you want to compete with the places that have the money you create a subsidy. The real answers is for the schools that don't have the money is to tell the schools with the money. You know all 20 or 30 of them to go form their own division. The rest could then play on a level playing field. I wonder why they don't do that?

Reaction Score
This is when you start to learn, life isn't fair, and some people are just going to value what others do more than what you do.

Reaction Score
This is when you start to learn, life isn't fair, and some people are just going to value what others do more than what you do.

Under these new rules, that player (or his parents) just starts contacting all teams that appear to need an offensive lineman. Start a bidding war. Top offer gets your services.

Reaction Score
Under these new rules, that player (or his parents) just starts contacting all teams that appear to need an offensive lineman. Start a bidding war. Top offer gets your services.
Lets wait to see what the rules are. I find the teeth gnashing over this stuff amazing. Here is an opportunity for the NCAA to get out in front this before 2023. Is there any justification for paying Mark Emmert millions?

Reaction Score
Is there any justification for paying Mark Emmert millions?

Of course there is... he gets to play the role of piñata while the University Presidents sit back and laugh while counting their money.

Reaction Score
Lets wait to see what the rules are. I find the teeth gnashing over this stuff amazing. Here is an opportunity for the NCAA to get out in front this before 2023. Is there any justification for paying Mark Emmert millions?

Is your concern that players should be able to negotiate a payment, or that Emmert gets paid too much.

Reaction Score
Is your concern that players should be able to negotiate a payment, or that Emmert gets paid too much.
I have no complaint. Just that this is coming to a head and there will be changes.

Reaction Score
Of course there is... he gets to play the role of piñata while the University Presidents sit back and laugh while counting their money.
He gets paid a lot. Its the least he could do.

Reaction Score
By the way the analysis by yahoo is nonsense. Urban schools are not benefitting. Too much competition. Who do you want selling your product , Tom Brady or the quarterback from BC? Daquan Barkley or the starting running back from Rutgers? Point guard for the Knicks or point guard for St Johns. This is the wrong solution to a problem.

Reaction Score
My point was that there is bound to be jealousies between teammates and that will eventually affect their play on the field.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My point was that there is bound to be jealousies between teammates and that will eventually affect their play on the field.

There will be some crazy stuff going on for sure when you now add $ to the mix. More kids are bound to row for themselves and not for others or the team.

Reaction Score

I definitely think it’s coming. I see 3 “super power” leagues breaking away from the NCAA and forming its own governing
The coaches get paid insane money, because the money is there. If the money is not there and you want to compete with the places that have the money you create a subsidy. The real answers is for the schools that don't have the money is to tell the schools with the money. You know all 20 or 30 of them to go form their own division. The rest could then play on a level playing field. I wonder why they don't do that?

Good points. I definitely think it’s coming. I see 3 “super power” leagues breaking away from the NCAA and forming its own governing body.

Reaction Score

What would be the advantage for the power 5 schools that don’t go with the top 20 or 30 to their new division? It seems like all that would do is eliminate the bulk of the money that the rest of the power 5 teams get from their TV contracts that are generated from the interest in those same top 20 or 30 teams.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
While this was not my original thought and I can't remember who to attribute it to, I think their own need for a winning record, especially a high win percentage, is a factor in that.

If the top 30-40 break out, the pressure to maintain their high winning percentage will remain. They will not have the abilty to beat the bottom half or two-thirds of their conference to prop the win total. Every game will be that much more important.

My take is that while that may make great TV, the work and recurring and coaching and scheduling just get harder. They will be the semi-pro league, where the NFL will eventually feed from.

These are teams that don't schedule in the northern states at all or never late in the year. They are not signing up for additional adversity.

Reaction Score
Ralph Russo AP College Football Writer: Analysis: Lacking foresight, NCAA playing defense again

>>It is important to point out the NCAA is the schools. The rules are made and passed by school administrators and university presidents. Emmert does not have power to enact policy and there is not a cabal of bureaucrats in Indianapolis pulling the strings. The one time Emmert did try to get out in front of something was in 2011, when he pushed for a $2,000 a year cost-of-attendance stipend for athletes. Membership rebelled. Wilken later ruled the NCAA could not prohibit cost-of-attendance stipends, and now most schools are paying more than they would have under Emmert’s plan.<<

>>But forward-thinking leadership across the board in college sports is lacking, and it worries many athletic directors who don’t see allowing athletes access to a free market as an unmanageable problem. The prospect of a wide receiver, point guard or midfielder becoming a social media influencer, starting a side business giving lessons in their sports or making $25 a pop for leaving fans personalized voice messages through companies such as Cameo is not keeping administrators up at night.

There will be challenges. Especially, as it relates to recruiting in the most high-profile sports. But athletic programs are already facing those challenges and it’s possible a regulated free market could eat into a black market of payments to players that is near impossible for NCAA enforcement to disrupt.<<

Reaction Score
Ralph Russo AP College Football Writer: Analysis: Lacking foresight, NCAA playing defense again

>>It is important to point out the NCAA is the schools. The rules are made and passed by school administrators and university presidents. Emmert does not have power to enact policy and there is not a cabal of bureaucrats in Indianapolis pulling the strings. The one time Emmert did try to get out in front of something was in 2011, when he pushed for a $2,000 a year cost-of-attendance stipend for athletes. Membership rebelled. Wilken later ruled the NCAA could not prohibit cost-of-attendance stipends, and now most schools are paying more than they would have under Emmert’s plan.<<

>>But forward-thinking leadership across the board in college sports is lacking, and it worries many athletic directors who don’t see allowing athletes access to a free market as an unmanageable problem. The prospect of a wide receiver, point guard or midfielder becoming a social media influencer, starting a side business giving lessons in their sports or making $25 a pop for leaving fans personalized voice messages through companies such as Cameo is not keeping administrators up at night.

There will be challenges. Especially, as it relates to recruiting in the most high-profile sports. But athletic programs are already facing those challenges and it’s possible a regulated free market could eat into a black market of payments to players that is near impossible for NCAA enforcement to disrupt.<<

When giving $100,000 (or more) to top high school athletes becomes an acceptable practice, the whole environment of college athletics will change. Even paying a freshman football or basketball player $200,000 to transfer will become a practice you will see. Why contribute to the school’s athletic department when you can give the money directly to the athlete.

Reaction Score
When giving $100,000 (or more) to top high school athletes becomes an acceptable practice...
We should stop recruiting athletes and instead recruit boosters. They would then pay the good athletes recruited by other schools. Billboards with player photos would save our coaches a lot of travel and lodging expense.

Reaction Score
We should stop recruiting athletes and instead recruit boosters. They would then pay the good athletes recruited by other schools. Billboards with player photos would save our coaches a lot of travel and lodging expense.

If you pay them enough, you won’t need billboards. I’m sure the UConn Club of Fairfield County could raise enough to get 3-4 four star athletes to Storrs.

Reaction Score
If you pay them enough, you won’t need billboards. I’m sure the UConn Club of Fairfield County could raise enough to get 3-4 four star athletes to Storrs.
You need the billboards. We'd be paying for their "likeness" not their talent.

Reaction Score
2023 is a ways away and things will likely change but worth a read for perspective:

>>First, student athletes will likely be prohibited from signing deals with companies either not already an athletic department sponsor or in direct competition with a current sponsor. Professional athletes often derive a large portion of sponsorship money, especially in early years, from lucrative shoe does, which will likely be unavailable to student athletes.

“As I understand it, students cannot sign endorsement deals that conflict with the school’s endorsement contracts, which takes the shoe money off the table,” said Powell. “Footwear deals are where the big money is.”<<

>>Second, even if a student athlete finds a potential brand sponsorship that avoids conflict with university and athletic department deals, it’s unlikely they’ll have the right to use any university or athletic department intellectual property. That means no jerseys, logos or other related apparel or marks in any content they produce with the sponsor. That would likely limit the pool of student athletes who could benefit from the new law, as they’d have to rely on name or facial recognition alone.<<

>>It’s also worth noting that student athletes will be taxed on any revenue derived from licensing their name, image or likeness.

“Whatever they receive in terms of compensation, whether salaries, incentives, royalties, etc., will be taxable as of the time they receive it,” said Paul Creasy, a partner at independent compensation consultancy Organizational Consulting Group, by email. “This may prove fertile ground for financial planners, tax attorneys, et al.”<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom