Fair pay to play act just signed in to law in CA. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fair pay to play act just signed in to law in CA.

Reaction Score
Lol a) I love that you never include Notre Dame in these examples and b) I’m pretty deeply involved in southern football culture and, while this stuff absolutely goes on, it’s not nearly as extravagant (for lack of a better term) as many of you seem to imagine it to be.

It’s a lot of the stereotypical car dealership owner, small businessmen, lawyer-types etc.

They don’t exactly have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around to throw at every single recruit every single year for a signed photo. Maybe for a Cam Newtown or other generational talent...

I’m also deeply involved in southern football. I have family members that graduated from Georgia and Tennessee. And good friends from high school that went to and played at Alabama and Auburn. And I believe that the Atlanta Auburn Club would be able to raise a significant amount to send one or two top recruits to Auburn. And the clubs in Nashville and Birmingham would probably easily match the Atlanta club. All this would become the common practice once it was determined to be legal in the eyes of the NCAA.

I left ND out of the conversation because I think it’s pretty obvious that ND could raise the money to pay the top athletes out of the athletic budget, and certainly there are enough wealthy donors who would be willing to contribute to the cause. And if they didn’t, there is a $13 Billion endowment which might find its way to help the cause. I think this rule change would absolutely change all college sports into professional sports.

Reaction Score
I’m also deeply involved in southern football. I have family members that graduated from Georgia and Tennessee. And good friends from high school that went to and played at Alabama and Auburn. And I believe that the Atlanta Auburn Club would be able to raise a significant amount to send one or two top recruits to Auburn. And the clubs in Nashville and Birmingham would probably easily match the Atlanta club. All this would become the common practice once it was determined to be legal in the eyes of the NCAA.

I left ND out of the conversation because I think it’s pretty obvious that ND could raise the money to pay the top athletes out of the athletic budget, and certainly there are enough wealthy donors who would be willing to contribute to the cause. And if they didn’t, there is a $13 Billion endowment which might find its way to help the cause. I think this rule change would absolutely change all college sports into professional sports.

I just don't think it would.

Of course, it’s impossible to know how it would play out till it happens; and, I remain somewhat dubious on the chances that actually happens, especially once it works it’s way through the courts.

But, let’s say it does to pass; I think the state would probably allow a decent amount of oversight (I.e I don’t think it’ll be the Wild West like some here are describing)

Reaction Score
I just don't think it would.

Of course, it’s impossible to know how it would play out till it happens; and, I remain somewhat dubious on the chances that actually happens, especially once it works it’s way through the courts.

But, let’s say it does to pass; I think the state would probably allow a decent amount of oversight (I.e I don’t think it’ll be the Wild West like some here are describing)

Which state do you think would give that oversight? Alabama? Mississippi? Texas?
Do you really think Texas would have a problem with Texas or Texas A&M winning national championships? And if Texas did it, do you really think Oklahoma would be far behind? And as for private schools? ND, Stanford, Duke, USC May like the idea of excelling at football.

Why pay $8 million for a coach when you can pay 40 top players $200,000 each.

Reaction Score
What cut does the school get from these kid's earnings? They wear thier colors, school logo, and are publicised to a certain degree by thier attended school. Thier likeness value, is due in part to a small dregree, due to the school they go to. Where's the schools skim off the top?

Reaction Score
Which state do you think would give that oversight? Alabama? Mississippi? Texas?
Do you really think Texas would have a problem with Texas or Texas A&M winning national championships? And if Texas did it, do you really think Oklahoma would be far behind? And as for private schools? ND, Stanford, Duke, USC May like the idea of excelling at football.

Why pay $8 million for a coach when you can pay 40 top players $200,000 each.

Despite the apocalyptic claims to the contrary, I don’t think this will lead to the NCAA dissolving; so there would still be oversight from (which I believe these states would allow).

To your second point, nothing about this bill involves the school paying players so I’m not even sure why you bring it up...?

Reaction Score
Just blow the system up. Football players and basketball players are already being paid . . . they are getting a free college education - no student loan debts to strangle them when they leave. Of course, many could care less about education - free or otherwise. The business of paying student athletes will simply create a minor league system that uses schools (many funded on taxpayers $) and their facilities to further their football/basketball dreams. It's crap and the whole system should be disassembled.

Reaction Score
I think there needs to be options. For instance, if you agree to be compensated then you should also have to pay tuition/room and board. Only the ELITE athletes would accept that trade off.
And charged for use of facilities and coaching services . . . and charged an exorbitently licensing fee for use of the school name, including colors, fight songs, etc.

Reaction Score
Just blow the system up. Football players and basketball players are already being paid . . . they are getting a free college education - no student loan debts to strangle them when they leave. Of course, many could care less about education - free or otherwise. The business of paying student athletes will simply create a minor league system that uses schools (many funded on taxpayers $) and their facilities to further their football/basketball dreams. It's crap and the whole system should be disassembled.

You know this bill doesn’t allow for schools to pay the athletes, right?

Reaction Score
You know this bill doesn’t allow for schools to pay the athletes, right?

So let the boosters, car dealerships, lawyers, etc, start a minor league and leave the college game alone.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So let the boosters, car dealerships, lawyers, etc, start a minor league and leave the college game alone.
Ha, elected officials wont be able to help themselves. The CA bill will probably be mirrored in other states well before 2023. Once we open the door for sponsorships, direct pay from universities could soon follow.

Reaction Score
So we all agree that all college football and basketball games should be 5 dollar general admission seating, first come first serve throughout the stadium or arena, right? There should no advertising in the stadium, right? No TV commercials and all broadcast should be on PBS, right? Coaches and ADs should be paid like professors and be required to teach PE classes, right?

Because college athletics is just a an amateur sporting event, not a business, right?

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So we all agree that all college football and basketball games should be 5 dollar general admission seating, first come first serve throughout the stadium or arena, right? There should no advertising in the stadium, right? No TV commercials and all broadcast should be on PBS, right? Coaches and ADs should be paid like professors and be requested to teach PE classes, right?

Because college athletics is just a an amateur sporting event, not a business, right?
The concern is about competitive balance. An open market for talent will push bagman prices up...way up and give a lot of sizzle to the transfer market.

But now that we are here, lets have at it. Rip open the market, let's see how it works out. I happen to think it will kill fan interest in bottom 25% of FCS programs. Fans will become acutely aware they are wasting their time supporting a program that doesn't have the financial firepower. #CulltheFCSherd.

Enough out of me on this...I'll be quiet now.

Reaction Score
Just further ruins the game by creating greater disparities among teams and even among players. If they want to get paid, they can join a football farm system... which doesn’t exist because without school brand name recognition they would earn less than the value of their education and board. More money means more graft.

Reaction Score
Just further ruins the game by creating greater disparities among teams and even among players. If they want to get paid, they can join a football farm system... which doesn’t exist because without school brand name recognition they would earn less than the value of their education and board. More money means more graft.

What football farm system??

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The concern is about competitive balance. An open market for talent will push bagman prices up...way up and give a lot of sizzle to the transfer market.

But now that we are here, lets have at it. Rip open the market, let's see how it works out. I happen to think it will kill fan interest in bottom 25% of FCS programs. Fans will become acutely aware they are wasting their time supporting a program that doesn't have the financial firepower. #CulltheFCSherd.

I’m not sure the opposite won’t be true. Boosters love being insiders - the thrill of getting 50k to a recruit to commit is much cooler than paying them to plug your business.

Fans seems to be figuring out that outside of 15 programs you are wasting your time. Look at the stadiums they are painfully empty outside of the tradition laden bluebloods.

I guess the best argument against your post is this... the NCAA agrees with you and generally they are wrong.

Are there really that many small business people dying to feed cash to recruits? The shoe companies have been picking winners for a while...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

god i hope alabama and clemson and ohio state arent in the top four... EVERY year

Reaction Score
California is the world's largest outdoor insane asylum.

The proper way to work through these issues is to have a player bring suit and see if it is within the law. This can be done without the state staking out a position. If no player brings a suit, why butt in?

Reaction Score
I’m not sure the opposite won’t be true. Boosters love being insiders - the thrill of getting 50k to a recruit to commit is much cooler than paying them to plug your business.

Fans seems to be figuring out that outside of 15 programs you are wasting your time. Look at the stadiums they are painfully empty outside of the tradition laden bluebloods.

I guess the best argument against your post is this... the NCAA agrees with you and generally they are wrong.

Are there really that many small business people dying to feed cash to recruits? The shoe companies have been picking winners for a while...
god i hope alabama and clemson and ohio state arent in the top four... EVERY year
14F784A1-8255-4DE2-B4D9-B1B2BCC128C3.jpeg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I have flipped. I'm all for paying the players. If it narrows the 130 FBS field - so be it. If it pushes UConn out, so be it. Get the cash flowing.

Reaction Score
California is the world's largest outdoor insane asylum.

The proper way to work through these issues is to have a player bring suit and see if it is within the law. This can be done without the state staking out a position. If no player brings a suit, why butt in?
Umm. This was the crux of Ed Obannon lawsuit. The NCAA settled that one remember?

Reaction Score
Despite the apocalyptic claims to the contrary, I don’t think this will lead to the NCAA dissolving; so there would still be oversight from (which I believe these states would allow).

To your second point, nothing about this bill involves the school paying players so I’m not even sure why you bring it up...?

The bill says that the players can get paid for their image. It doesn’t say that the school can’t pay them. Why should a car dealership be allowed to pay them, but the school not be allowed.

Reaction Score
The bill says that the players can get paid for their image. It doesn’t say that the school can’t pay them. Why should a car dealership be allowed to pay them, but the school not be allowed.

The bill is specifically written to allow “athletes to sell their image and likeness to outside bidders” (outside bidders=not the school).

In addition, this bill did not dissolve the NCAA so the school’s would still be subject to the NCAA’s rules and, I’m not if you’re aware or not, but the NCAA does not allow schools to pay players.

C’mon, you went to Notre Dame, you must be smarter than this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom