Fair pay to play act just signed in to law in CA. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fair pay to play act just signed in to law in CA.

Reaction Score
The bill is specifically written to allow “athletes to sell their image and likeness to outside bidders” (outside bidders=not the school).

In addition, this bill did not dissolve the NCAA so the school’s would still be subject to the NCAA’s rules and, I’m not if you’re aware or not, but the NCAA does not allow schools to pay players.

C’mon, you went to Notre Dame, you must be smarter than this.

The NCAA does not allow boosters to pay players either. I think they are more concerned with the boosters paying the athletes than the school. The school already gives then tuition, room and board, and books. But if a booster can endow the coaching position at a school, why not endow payments to 40 scholarship positions. If the athletes can be paid, which other NCAA rules are you worried about.

Reaction Score
The NCAA does not allow boosters to pay players either. I think they are more concerned with the boosters paying the athletes than the school. The school already gives then tuition, room and board, and books. But if a booster can endow the coaching position at a school, why not endow payments to 40 scholarship positions. If the athletes can be paid, which other NCAA rules are you worried about.

Ok but these are all hypotheticals and not related to what is in the bill being discussed in this thread.

Reaction Score
Ok but these are all hypotheticals and not related to what is in the bill being discussed in this thread.

Isn’t the bill being discussed in this thread involving the payments to players?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not by schools
You see a wall on this subject, I see a screen door.

Doesn't really matter though. What matters is when we are pitching for another JUCO QB from Lackawanna this winter and we lose out to some Temple funny money; thats when it smarts. Whether its 1k, 3k, 5k or 50k, are we ready for the open market? AD David Benedict better has some faux endorsement deals ready to go.

The opaque market suppressed prices and say what you want - it did discourage many from doing any price discovery what so ever....

Reaction Score
You see a wall on this subject, I see a screen door.

Doesn't really matter though. What matters is when we are pitching for another JUCO QB from Lackawanna this winter and we lose out to some Temple funny money; thats when it smarts. Whether its 1k, 3k, 5k or 50k, are we ready for the open market? AD David Benedict better has some faux endorsement deals ready to go.

The opaque market suppressed prices and say what you want - it did discourage many from doing any price discovery what so ever....
So instead of boosters giving money to the athletic departments, they set up booster clubs with the sole purpose to funnel money to the top recruits.

I love that you guys just state these things as if it’s a forgone conclusion that this is what will happen.

There’s simply no way in knowing for sure.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I love that you guys just state these things as if it’s a forgone conclusion that this is what will happen.

Walks like a duck, talks like a duck...

Reaction Score

What do you think will happen. If its OK to pay the players, boosters will pay them. Some pay them now, when is isn’t OK, why do you think payments to top recruits won’t explode once it is OK.

Reaction Score
What do you think will happen. If its OK to pay the players, boosters will pay them. Some pay them now, when is isn’t OK, why do you think payments to top recruits won’t explode once it is OK.
What's gonna happen is that the ncaa is going to have to come to some agreement to let players earn some money. This may come from signing autographs, appearing on billboards, etc. At the heart of this is the athletes that bring in money. Trevor Lawrence getting a full ride isn't being compensated equal to the value he brings vs a kid on a full ride for playing tennis.

Reaction Score

I don’t know what will happen!

What I do know is you are taking something that is very nebulous and making hard and fast pronouncements about what the outcome will be.

All I can work with right now is the bill that has been passed.

If 2023 comes around and this bill is actually implemented, and everything else in college athletic stays the same, then the NCAA is still going to have vast control over how schools recruit and how money flows through programs.

So, yes, I think the scenarios that you and others have laid out are a bit hyperbolic

Reaction Score
What's gonna happen is that the ncaa is going to have to come to some agreement to let players earn some money. This may come from signing autographs, appearing on billboards, etc. At the heart of this is the athletes that bring in money. Trevor Lawrence getting a full ride isn't being compensated equal to the value he brings vs a kid on a full ride for playing tennis.

Signing autographs? Just give them the money. Yes, the athletes bring in the money, and the expenses. There are very few profitable athletic departments. Should athletic departments who lose money, charge the athletes for contributing to the losses? Notre Dame sells out the stadium, and gets money from the NBC television contract, and the ACC. If some athlete decides to transfer, do you think it will decrease the revenue that ND football will generate? I don’t think it is the athletes that bring in the money, I think it’s the program. I buy tickets to the games, regardless of which players are playing. I bought tickets during the Holtz years, and I bought tickets during the Weis disaster. I’m not buying a ticket to see an individual player.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what will happen!

What I do know is you are taking something that is very nebulous and making hard and fast pronouncements about what the outcome will be.

All I can work with right now is the bill that has been passed.

If 2023 comes around and this bill is actually implemented, and everything else in college athletic stays the same, then the NCAA is still going to have vast control over how schools recruit and how money flows through programs.

So, yes, I think the scenarios that you and others have laid out are a bit hyperbolic

Yes, the NCAA may still have control over how money flows through the system. But now, the NCAA will have no control on how money flows outside the system. Boosters will have free rein to pay a recruit or a player to get them to their school. Paying a player to transfer from one school to another ( after they prove to be top talent) will also become a common practice.

I think the scenarios that we have laid out are just the start of where this will go. There will be no need for boosters to contribute to the schools to get them to improve their facilities, now they can go directly to the athletes to pay them to attend.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This could be the demise of college sports as we know it.

Not a fan, especially since the I never went to college Lebron being behind it

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Watch- there will be a push to standardize these new “sponsorship” contracts rather quickly. Rules on “signing bonuses,” “claw backs” and what happens when players transfer, quit, become academically ineligible etc, etc.

Reaction Score
Signing autographs? Just give them the money. Yes, the athletes bring in the money, and the expenses. There are very few profitable athletic departments. Should athletic departments who lose money, charge the athletes for contributing to the losses? Notre Dame sells out the stadium, and gets money from the NBC television contract, and the ACC. If some athlete decides to transfer, do you think it will decrease the revenue that ND football will generate? I don’t think it is the athletes that bring in the money, I think it’s the program. I buy tickets to the games, regardless of which players are playing. I bought tickets during the Holtz years, and I bought tickets during the Weis disaster. I’m not buying a ticket to see an individual player.
Okay that's you. But if ND was putting out UConn level stinkers of seasons out there, you may find yourself in the stadium with friends and families. The argument that a full ride is payment enough is flimsy, when a kid that throws the discus could be on the same full ride as Tua Tagovaiola. That's why in essence it has to be taken out of the hands of the NCAA because their argument the scholarship is enough.

I really don't care personally if the kids get paid or not but there is a reason Nick Saban isn't paid the same as the field hockey coach. Why should the athletes in those respective sports be viewed the same?

Reaction Score
Okay that's you. But if ND was putting out UConn level stinkers of seasons out there, you may find yourself in the stadium with friends and families. The argument that a full ride is payment enough is flimsy, when a kid that throws the discus could be on the same full ride as Tua Tagovaiola. That's why in essence it has to be taken out of the hands of the NCAA because their argument the scholarship is enough.

I really don't care personally if the kids get paid or not but there is a reason Nick Saban isn't paid the same as the field hockey coach. Why should the athletes in those respective sports be viewed the same?

Yes, instead of paying Nick Saban $8 million a year, pay the 40 top football players $200,000 a year to play. Even one of the worst coaching staffs could win with the 40 best players. And it’s not just the value of the scholarship. Players like Tua go to schools like Alabama to have access to the top coaches and equipment which helps them get spots in the NFL. And probably 90% of the players at even the top schools don’t make it in the NFL, so claiming that the tuition and room and board isn’t of value is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Yes, instead of paying Nick Saban $8 million a year, pay the 40 top football players $200,000 a year to play. Even one of the worst coaching staffs could win with the 40 best players. And it’s not just the value of the scholarship. Players like Tua go to schools like Alabama to have access to the top coaches and equipment which helps them get spots in the NFL. And probably 90% of the players at even the top schools don’t make it in the NFL, so claiming that the tuition and room and board isn’t of value is ridiculous.
Not of value? Who said that? Arguing that a top FB player or a Zion Williamson brings no more value than a golf player on scholarship is what is truly ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Not of value? Who said that? Arguing that a top FB player or a Zion Williamson brings no more value than a golf player on scholarship is what is truly ridiculous.

I think it makes no sense to say that a basketball player or a football player has to go to college to play in the NBA or the NFL. If they are good enough, like a Zion Williamson they should have the right to play wherever they can. If they think that they need the coaching and physical training to make that step up, they should go to college, or join a gym. But once you make the decision that the college coaching and training is necessary to make it to the next level, you have to play by the rules in place. Very few athletic programs make money. My guess is that Alabama had its SEC money and ticket sales well established long before Tua decided to go there. And they will be selling out their stadium long after he leaves.

Reaction Score
I think it makes no sense to say that a basketball player or a football player has to go to college to play in the NBA or the NFL. If they are good enough, like a Zion Williamson they should have the right to play wherever they can. If they think that they need the coaching and physical training to make that step up, they should go to college, or join a gym. But once you make the decision that the college coaching and training is necessary to make it to the next level, you have to play by the rules in place. Very few athletic programs make money. My guess is that Alabama had its SEC money and ticket sales well established long before Tua decided to go there. And they will be selling out their stadium long after he leaves.
Agreed but nothing is forever. The rules are about to change. The NCAA has taken some weird stances. There was a UCF punter a few years ago who refused to demonitize his YouTube channel and couldn't play. It's those type of things that have led to this crossroad.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nothing earth-shattering but some interesting scenarios:

Per the last thought in the yahoo story, can’t wait for that kid to threaten in season not to play until his Venmo/ go fund me account reaches X level. It’s going to happen.

The pro sports could benefit from this chaos. Kids walking mid season over money and annual portal free agency mania will make pro sports the “stable” alternative.

Reaction Score
This is one of those things that sound good but will have unintended consequences. Sure the starting quarterback at Alabama stands to make a bundle but the left tackle is getting nothing more than he currently gets. The star of the women’s cross country team gets zip.

I also worry that firms like Nike and adidas will happily make legal payments to individual players but will cut back on deals with athletic departments.

Lastly it will utterly destroy competitive balance in recruiting. It is just the NBA/NFL free agent market on a different scale.

I’m not naive enough to think some of this doesn’t happen but because it is illegal it is relatively limited. FWIW for UConn I suspect we will be competing in D3 within a decade as a result of this. That’s the bad news. The good news is so will lots of our long time opponents. It will be the only way to maintain a broad athletic program.

Reaction Score
You know this bill doesn’t allow for schools to pay the athletes, right?
Doesn’t matter. How much would, say Ray Allen in his UConn days, have been worth to the Ford dealer in Glastonbury? But a big part of that value to that company came from his UConn ties. Can he wear his uniform?

Reaction Score
There is an old saying that every problem has a solution that is simple, straightforward and completely wrong. That applies in this case. If the problem is Conference commissioner and coaches are getting paid too much, the solution isn’t to create a different problem by paying players. It is university officials acting responsibly and taking control. And setting rational salaries. Randy Edsall is getting paid $1 million/ year and that is considered a bargain basement salary. That is insane If the problem is shoe companies or boosters or coaches are illegally paying players, the solution isn’t paying players, it is cracking down HARD on the cheaters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom