Fagnano it is | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

Reaction Score
In fairness Rosa was also 3rd on the depth chart coming into the game and he was by far our best back so…..

Just my opinion but I always thought listing Rosa third has nothing to do with his talent and everything to do with Jim Mora sending a message.

On one long TD run Thursday night we saw why Rosa should be our top RB and why he was listed as third on the depth chart (the flip).

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Tbh. This is true. There is no evidence that Roberson is a better than option than Fagnano. None.

As far as Turner, what did we see out of Turner last year that we missed on Thrusday?
Nothing but if they are a net equal then you give the experience to the young guy. If they’re the same what’s the benefit of starting a sr vs Soph?

Reaction Score
I think if we can establish a run game it will help the passing game. Against NC State, except for one run, we had no running game. If you take away the one 71 yard run, we only had 89 yards rushing. Less yard than we had passing.

Reaction Score
D
Same typical uconn team no passing game. Can't score when it counts. Horrible tackling I'll give them a C for the first game of the season
No offense but kind of a stupid comment. I believe NC State was ahead of us 33 0 at the half last year. We have a ways to go but we are much better then we were

Reaction Score
There's a reason one QB went to Penn State and another went to Maine. Players generally find their proper level organically.

Reaction Score
There's a reason one QB went to Penn State and another went to Maine. Players generally find their proper level organically.
Roberson signing with Penn State hasn’t been relevant since 2018, neither has Fagnano signing with Maine. As highlighted by medic, both are at UConn now. Would you choose Tom Brady, or the first choice in his draft class, Chad Pennington?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Roberson signing with Penn State hasn’t been relevant since 2018, neither has Fagnano signing with Maine. As highlighted by medic, both are at UConn now. Would you choose Tom Brady, or the first choice in his draft class, Chad Pennington?
Maine is not Marshall. Would you have not chosen Randy Moss either? And if Pennington didn't injure his arm, who knows what he could've done. Always thought he'd be a terrific coach.

Reaction Score
No offense but kind of a stupid comment. I believe NC State was ahead of us 33 0 at the half last year. We have a ways to go but we are much better then we were
Yea we did get alot better but it's the samethings that made of lose in recent years. Bad tackling and no passing game.

Reaction Score
Yea we did get alot better but it's the samethings that made of lose in recent years. Bad tackling and no passing game.
Unfortunately we will have to run. Our talent level is just not there to have a decent passing attack. Run first and try to get some play action. Hopefully the tackling improves or it will be a long season.

Reaction Score
Jackson Mitchell had 0 FBS offers. UConn tried to get him PWO. Good players are good players and fcs has plenty. Porter was offered by the top programs. Hopefully he is good too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes!

It's called FCS prejudice. People are seeing what they are predisposed to see. All I'm saying is can we cut this kid some slack? He was a huge improvement over last year and we stayed competitive deep into the 4th quarter against a superior team with the refs fighting against us. Let's see what he does next week before deciding he's not the guy.
I think a lot of people are saying that he didn't seem to be a "huge improvement" over Zion. It absolutely is tough to say one way or another based upon one game against what may be the second toughest opponent on our schedule.

But here's the thing a quarterback change, particularly one that is decided shortly before the start of the season is always going to be scrutinized and questioned. In my opinion it's kind of silly to say fans shouldn't debate it. Hopefully, we're all feeling better about the choice after next weekend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In the end they both ended up at Connecticut, so isn't that your theory saying that they are roughly equivalent?

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine that we won’t see TR this season. After a loss many just assume the other one is better. I haven’t seen much of TR. is he an effective runner? Is he turnover prone?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I haven't read the last 4 pages but I believe Georgia St last opponent, URI(?), threw for 400+ yards. If we can't manage at least 300 and it looks like a Fagnano is on target on his throws, Charlton really needs to be put on notice. His offense has been very unimpressive and I'm slowly believing it wasn't ZT last year that was the issue with our passing game.....

Reaction Score
I haven't read the last 4 pages but I believe Georgia St last opponent, URI(?), threw for 400+ yards. If we can't manage at least 300 and it looks like a Fagnano is on target on his throws, Charlton really needs to be put on notice. His offense has been very unimpressive and I'm slowly believing it wasn't ZT last year that was the issue with our passing game.....
We don’t have a true Wr1…. And maybe… just me but most teams tend to not open up their playbook fully.

Reaction Score
I am a big Zion fan ..he was a highly recruited high school player and I thought he played well last year as a freshman and that as a sophomore he would make a big jump… but the coaching staff picked Fagnano… they obviously know the players better then i do… so i trust they made the right decision…I think as we play more games Fagnano will be more comfortable and get better… I don’t think Roberson is ready yet… it’s only been a year since his knee surgery

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine that we won’t see TR this season. After a loss many just assume the other one is better. I haven’t seen much of TR. is he an effective runner? Is he turnover prone?
Thing with Roberson is he really doesn’t have college film besides that Iowa game with PSU and 1 drive vs USU with UConn. I agree we probably do see him this season one way or another. As someone else on this board said a couple weeks back, we haven’t had the same QB1 from Week 1 to Week 5 in many years.

He is definitley an effective runner, that has been known as a key component to his game since High School. Turnover prone, cant say much because of lack of film.

Reaction Score
So I've had a look at four teams with new quarterbacks and how their offenses performed. UConn, NC State, Umass, and Colorado. While no definitive conclusions should be drawn after one game It seems obvious that our production fell significantly below the other three teams.

Again we should wait another week to see how things shake out but it would seem like there's only a few variants that would be in play when assessing or comparing. One would be the quality of the competition. I don't think any of those games involved teams that were far above them including ours. I thought Colorado might lose badly today. Wrooong! Second would be the quality of the offensive line and I will have to say that our QB wasn't exactly running for his life every play at least not the way Casey Cochran had to. Abd his stats were generally pretty decent. Third would be the quality of the wide receivers and not being an expert for me that's pretty hard to judge. Finally coaching preparation and play calling definitely come into play and again not being a coach it's hard to judge. One thing I will say is watching the UMass game if the standard stays the same we'd have a lot of trouble against them. It would be a very close game despite our edge in overall talent So hopefully we're able to iron out whatever inefficiencies we have at QB, or if not we have somebody chomping at the bit who can give us more of an effective dual threat which thise other three guys seem to provide. Should be interesting to see what happens.
If we're being real and honest UConn hasn't had a good QB since Orlovsky. I still firmly believe Terry Caulley is the best and most dynamic offensive player we've ever had followed by Orlovsky. It's a shame we're over 20 years later and that's still the most exciting ball the program has ever played.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing about ZT vs. Charlton. For whatever reason opponents seem to be ganged up at the point of attack on most UConn pass or run plays. Is it so easy to figure out what play UConn is running that we are at a disadvantage numerically on each play (or at least not at an advantage as should be the case)?
How many teams can be a run 1st offensive team with 2 very undersized lead backs and not a spread offense. Our RB's remind me of the real good Oregon teams 15 or so years ago but they had a lot of space due to defenses having to cover quick receivers and having a QB who could run. Seems like something fundamental is miss matched in UConn's offensive scheme.
Timing is off on UConn's wide screens and swing passes, almost like passes are too late or too lofted and DB's are not worried about deep passes so hug the line of scrimmage.
I guess I've answered my own question, think it is the scheme and only way to make it work is get a TR type running QB in there.

Reaction Score
Right, so stuff like RPOs, play action, outside runs, screens, options, etc. would have been great to see. Stuff Roberson is known for. Making the starting QB decision all the more curious.

I kept seeing the same formations over and over as the game progressed. Like I said earlier, either our personnel is limited or our playbook.

Still, the coaching staff has my benefit of the doubt. There was more positives than negatives for me from the game.
maybe it's the coaches who are limited.

Reaction Score
Roberson has the best arm of the 3…
Does he? So what is the issue? Not accurate? Can't read defenses? Doesn't understand the Offense? A kid who is recruited by Penn State can't beat out a kid who was recruited by St. Francis & Maine? What am I missing?
Maybe he's injured and Mora isn't disclosing.

Reaction Score
If we're being real and honest UConn hasn't had a good QB since Orlovsky. I still firmly believe Terry Caulley is the best and most dynamic offensive player we've ever had followed by Orlovsky. It's a shame we're over 20 years later and that's still the most exciting ball the program has ever played.
I would say Donald Brown. Kid ran for 2k yards with no real threat of a passing game. I think Rosa is the best talent we've had at RB since then, and yes i think he will surpass Todman.

Reaction Score
What kills me is all the great college QBs you see in the MAC and other G5s and we struggle like its the 1940s to throw the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom