Fagnano it is | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

Reaction Score
I think Fagnano has the arm... I don't think Charlton puts him in a good position to succeed. The screen passes on first down, the completely random thrown-in trick plays that kill momentum, the switch from multiple straight runs to a low-percentage bomb play... It's just really hard for a QB to get into any rhythm with that type of playcalling. I do not understand why when a QB is doing good, and the ball is moving, the decision to throw in a low-percentage trick play or to suddenly switch QBs and inject the wildcat (as done in the past). Keep with what has been working for that drive. So many of our WR's don't even get used and when they do its for low-percentage plays like down field bombs. The play calling from an OC standpoint has been head-scratching and plays a big part in our lack of passing threat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Fagnano has the arm...

I think Fagnano is a very good dart thrower on throws under 15 yards, he also makes good short throws on the run. His arm motion gets funky on the deep throws, and he loses accuracy. It is possible to score a lot of points with an under 20 yard passing attack, we saw it happen with Cochran whose arm was probably weaker the Fagnano and Casey couldn't run at all.

To be like Cochran, Fagnano needs to make quicker decisions and move to the secondary options faster. There were secondary options that were missed on Thursday, if Fagnano can learn from those mistakes, he can be good. Fagnano's success or failure at UConn will be determined by his ability to quickly go through a progression (Casey's best skill). They should put Fagnano in touch with Casey to see if there are tips he can pass on.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think Fagnano has the arm... I don't think Charlton puts him in a good position to succeed. The screen passes on first down, the completely randomly thrown-in trick plays that kill momentum, the fix from multiple straight runs to a low percentage bomb play... It's just really hard for a QB to get into any rhythm with that type of playcalling. I do not understand when a QB is doing good, and the ball is moving, then adding a low percentage trick play or suddenly switching QBs and injecting the wildcat (as done in the past). Continue to do what has been working for the drive. The play calling from an OC standpoint has been downright head-scratching and plays a big part in our passing threat.
I don't know at this point whether Fagnano has a decent arm or not. I know I didn't see much completed downfield nor did I see any out patterns completed - and only one tried I can recall, where he overthrew Ross. So I'll wait before judging, it's simply too small a sample.

I will say this, I think Charlton neglected the run game and the size/talent of our OL. I say this after comparing our game vs the one I was dragged to yesterday, Pitt vs Wofford. Wofford is terrible. And even with that, Jurkovic was being booed by the 2nd series. In the first series he completed one pass for no yards, ran twice for a total of six yards, and was sacked for 12. He started the 2nd series with a loss of 1 on a pass play and another bad incompletion. But the running game got a 1st down and Jurkovic finally completed a pass to a wideout for a good chunk.

Based on that and what I've seen from his previous work, Jurkovic is fine as long as there's NO pressure on him. If there is any, he folds. He has a better arm than NC St's QB, but none of the escapability - or desire to extend a play, it seems. And that, to me, is a bigger part of whether Fagnano is going to succeed here or not than if he can hit a bomb. While I didn't see "happy feet" from Fagnano, I also didn't see decisiveness as to whether he was going to run or pass. And that hesitation cost him yards.

Pitt went very run heavy for remainder of 1st half. And while Jurkovic compiled a respectable stat line, it was the running game (45 for 217, or a 4.8 average) that set the tone and allowed Jurkovic to play the 2nd half with virtually no pressure while finding wide open receivers.

Having an air assault is fun. But given our roster and strengths, IMHO, it's the run game (and YAC on screens) that is going to win for us and provide Fagnano with greater opportunity to succeed. And by the 'run game' I mean taking it to the opponent right up the guy more often than running sweeps. Why we ran so many sweeps confounded me more than any other aspect of Charlton's gameplan.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What kills me is all the great college QBs you see in the MAC and other G5s and we struggle like its the 1940s to throw the ball.
When was the last time we've had an OC that was good and called plays that were pass heavy? This includes our current OC....I think we are finding our constant here.....every time a new OC comes in we hear about this modern spread and all this hogwash. Yet every season we avg 150 (a total guess) passing yards a game.....that's a complete joke in today's CFB. This has been the constant since Diaco was hired......you can't tell me we haven't had a single QB since the early 2010's that isn't capable of putting up big numbers and yet still struggle to have a dominant pass game?

Reaction Score
When was the last time we've had an OC that was good and called plays that were pass heavy? This includes our current OC....I think we are finding our constant here.....every time a new OC comes in we hear about this modern spread and all this hogwash. Yet every season we avg 150 (a total guess) passing yards a game.....that's a complete joke in today's CFB. This has been the constant since Diaco was hired......you can't tell me we haven't had a single QB since the early 2010's that isn't capable of putting up big numbers and yet still struggle to have a dominant pass game?

Pindell and Shirreffs were both very good. They needed better teams around them. Cochran was excellent and would have had a great career if healthy. There were a couple others that were pretty good too. The names escape me.

McDonald and Welliver should be genuine FBS QBs. Zion, Fagnano and Roberson are all serviceable, with potential to be better. I don’t think we are lacking talent at this point. We have decent talent and much more talent down the road with the two younger guys.

Game planning and play calling need improvement. I go back to two years ago when Spanos brought in his buddy as an offensive consultant and improved the team dramatically almost overnight. We all went from suicidal to enjoying football again in the span of a week. We really need the coaches to step up and put these guys in a position to perform. This is a pretty solid roster. We’ll see if Charlton can give them the tools to move the ball next week. I’m getting a little concerned that he might be in a little over his head at this level. Then again, the team is once again better year over year, so I’ll reserve judgment for a few weeks.

Reaction Score
I don't know at this point whether Fagnano has a decent arm or not. I know I didn't see much completed downfield nor did I see any out patterns completed - and only one tried I can recall, where he overthrew Ross. So I'll wait before judging, it's simply too small a sample.

I will say this, I think Charlton neglected the run game and the size/talent of our OL. I say this after comparing our game vs the one I was dragged to yesterday, Pitt vs Wofford. Wofford is terrible. And even with that, Jurkovic was being booed by the 2nd series. In the first series he completed one pass for no yards, ran twice for a total of six yards, and was sacked for 12. He started the 2nd series with a loss of 1 on a pass play and another bad incompletion. But the running game got a 1st down and Jurkovic finally completed a pass to a wideout for a good chunk.

Based on that and what I've seen from his previous work, Jurkovic is fine as long as there's NO pressure on him. If there is any, he folds. He has a better arm than NC St's QB, but none of the escapability - or desire to extend a play, it seems. And that, to me, is a bigger part of whether Fagnano is going to succeed here or not than if he can hit a bomb. While I didn't see "happy feet" from Fagnano, I also didn't see decisiveness as to whether he was going to run or pass. And that hesitation cost him yards.

Pitt went very run heavy for remainder of 1st half. And while Jurkovic compiled a respectable stat line, it was the running game (45 for 217, or a 4.8 average) that set the tone and allowed Jurkovic to play the 2nd half with virtually no pressure while finding wide open receivers.

Having an air assault is fun. But given our roster and strengths, IMHO, it's the run game (and YAC on screens) that is going to win for us and provide Fagnano with greater opportunity to succeed. And by the 'run game' I mean taking it to the opponent right up the guy more often than running sweeps. Why we ran so many sweeps confounded me more than any other aspect of Charlton's gameplan.

Either way I think we can agree that the playcalling on OC has been killing our momentum and setting us up for failure...Look no further than our points per game. Is Charlton an upgrade over what we had prior? ABSOLUTELY ... but come on guys that's an incredibly low bar to set. I just don't feel it under Charlton. Hope he proves otherwise going forward.

Reaction Score
Either way I think we can agree that the playcalling on OC has been killing our momentum and setting us up for failure...Look no further than our points per game. Is Charlton an upgrade over what we had prior? ABSOLUTELY ... but come on guys that's an incredibly low bar to set. I just don't feel it under Charlton. Hope he proves otherwise going forward.

Charlton should get a lot of credit for our ground attack. It's easily the best approach to running the ball we have ever had. We are at least running a state-of-the-art style offense, something we have hardly ever been able to say. Play calling is questionable but the style of offense is sound. Saturday will be a good litmus test for Charlton and Fagnano, no lack of talent excuses against Georgia State.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Pindell and Shirreffs were both very good. They needed better teams around them. Cochran was excellent and would have had a great career if healthy. There were a couple others that were pretty good too. The names escape me.

McDonald and Welliver should be genuine FBS QBs. Zion, Fagnano and Roberson are all serviceable, with potential to be better. I don’t think we are lacking talent at this point. We have decent talent and much more talent down the road with the two younger guys.

Game planning and play calling need improvement. I go back to two years ago when Spanos brought in his buddy as an offensive consultant and improved the team dramatically almost overnight. We all went from suicidal to enjoying football again in the span of a week. We really need the coaches to step up and put these guys in a position to perform. This is a pretty solid roster. We’ll see if Charlton can give them the tools to move the ball next week. I’m getting a little concerned that he might be in a little over his head at this level. Then again, the team is once again better year over year, so I’ll reserve judgment for a few weeks.
This is exactly my point. The OC who was worth anything was TJ Weiss (sp?) When he was OC and Cochran was QB to end that season, we were passing all over. However, the other QBs were capable of putting up bigger numbers but the story was the same, play calling was predictable and some just went run heavy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The thing about that is from what I've seen this game and last season our backs have more breakaway speed and explosion than our WRs. I believe our backs are more capable of getting YAC than the wideouts. Don't really know about the TEs other than Joly yet.

Reaction Score
The NC State-Notre Dame game is at noon on Saturday…a lot of our current thoughts on our team (especially offense & QB) are going to change heading into our 7pm game based on how that turns out…

If NC State competes with ND and slows/shuts down their offense, then I think we all feel much more positive

If they lay an egg and lose 42-3, then the worry level will increase exponentially…

As of now, the sharps have ND as a 7.5pt favorite…

Reaction Score
There is a lot of talk on this blog about UConn football being able/unable to attract TV eyeballs. Sad to say, Thursday’s offense was BORING, which will not motivate TV executives.

Didn’t motivate me either. Looked like last year 2.0.

Reaction Score
Being at the game it was clear to me that Fagnano clearly has the arm strength. After 1 quarter I remember thinking “wow we’ve got something here”. If anything he put too much zip on the ball. Things definitely went down hill after that. The other team had something to do with that, but I also think he got banged up on play along the sidelines. That said, a QB needs to find a way to step up when things go sideways.
If the Rosa dive/call doesn’t happen, we pin them down, get the ball back, and JF leads us to a winning TD, the narrative would be much different.

Reaction Score
Being at the game it was clear to me that Fagnano clearly has the arm strength. After 1 quarter I remember thinking “wow we’ve got something here”. If anything he put too much zip on the ball. Things definitely went down hill after that. The other team had something to do with that, but I also think he got banged up on play along the sidelines. That said, a QB needs to find a way to step up when things go sideways.
If the Rosa dive/call doesn’t happen, we pin them down, get the ball back, and JF leads us to a winning TD, the narrative would be much different.
True, but we weren’t moving the ball other than Rosa breaking one.

Reaction Score
The NC State-Notre Dame game is at noon on Saturday…a lot of our current thoughts on our team (especially offense & QB) are going to change heading into our 7pm game based on how that turns out…

If NC State competes with ND and slows/shuts down their offense, then I think we all feel much more positive

If they lay an egg and lose 42-3, then the worry level will increase exponentially…

ND has had the luxury of watching our game. If they spy the QB and force punts rather than letting him run to another frustrating first down, it will be a rout. ND fans won’t be pulling their hair out like we did. ND -7.5 is a gift.

Reaction Score

It’s been forever since I rooted for NCSt, but that what I’ll be doing for that game.

Reaction Score
If we're being real and honest UConn hasn't had a good QB since Orlovsky. I still firmly believe Terry Caulley is the best and most dynamic offensive player we've ever had followed by Orlovsky. It's a shame we're over 20 years later and that's still the most exciting ball the program has ever played.
Bro it’s obvious Victor Rosa should be getting 20 if not 30 touches a game but he’s a sophomore so “gotta give the ball to the senior”. Rosa should be also going out in designed pitch and go or screen passes which I’m sure will be utilized in the future.

Reaction Score
Would love if Nate Carter was still here as the lead back. He had 113 yards for Michigan St this weekend. Averaging 6.3 yards a carry (same as his season average last year). He is someone who is capable of breaking off 4,5 and 6 yards at a pop on consecutive plays. Our backs now all seem like home run hitters. A bunch of one, two yard runs and break one occasionally. We need a work horse back like him. Scary thing about the NC State game is, they never loaded the box and we didn't have a dominate running game. They actually had extra DB's in on a lot of plays and we couldn't jam it down their throats.

Reaction Score
Would love if Nate Carter was still here as the lead back. He had 113 yards for Michigan St this weekend. Averaging 6.3 yards a carry (same as his season average last year). He is someone who is capable of breaking off 4,5 and 6 yards at a pop on consecutive plays. Our backs now all seem like home run hitters. A bunch of one, two yard runs and break one occasionally. We need a work horse back like him. Scary thing about the NC State game is, they never loaded the box and we didn't have a dominate running game. They actually had extra DB's in on a lot of plays and we couldn't jam it down their throats.
We didn't even really try to run it. 19 runs spread out between the three backs. The playcaling was just bad.

Reaction Score
We didn't even really try to run it. 19 runs spread out between the three backs. The playcaling was just bad.
The lack of a trunning game left us in a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs. We need to recruit a workhorse running back for next year. Unfortunately that back will probably leave for greener pastures like Carter did.

Reaction Score
He may be alright, but you have to wait until Michigan State plays someone decent, not a lower tier G5. Last year he looked great against what turned out to be a Utah State team that barely made a bowl and CCSU. When we got to the big boys his production dropped like a rock.

Reaction Score
He may be alright, but you have to wait until Michigan State plays someone decent, not a lower tier G5. Last year he looked great against what turned out to be a Utah State team that barely made a bowl and CCSU. When we got to the big boys his production dropped like a rock.
He had a season ending injury during his fourth game. Man, you're posting some dopey cr@p.

Reaction Score
He did earn the starting spot for Michigan State.

Reaction Score
He did earn the starting spot for Michigan State.
Yeah and all I am saying is that I am not going to judge him off of their game against a crap G5 opponent because last year he rocked the first two games and then we hit a marginal P5 opponent and his production dropped in half.

Reaction Score
Absolutely gutted here. I trust Mora, but I really wanted it to be Roberson or Turner. Either would seemingly offer us more than a year at the position, better dual threat options, and give us more hope for future growth. I very much hope to be proven wrong and that Fagnano shines against NCST.
Unfortunately, I appear to have been right. I have to wonder what Fagnano showed in camp, other than being Nick C.s right hand man, to earn the job over two incumbents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom