Facts... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Facts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1.) He needs to change his soft personality and get tough Calhoun style with the players. He needs to instill fear and discipline in his team. Drop the Mr Preacher/ Mr Nice Guy routine and get real.

2.) Drop the nonsensical Olliesms and hyperbole of players and be realistic and humble

Probably among the most ridiculous things I have read on this site. If I have to tell you why, that takes it up another notch in the absurd tree. I do however agree with your third point:

3.) Win big this season and send Jalen to the NBA via lottery and have Larrier join him in the first round. That will do wonders for recruiting

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
the dichotomy is astounding. We have supposed fans who believe that Ollie is the only saving grace for UConn. But they're supposedly the "positive" posters.

Do you know how bad this argument is? Do you want to go through the wringer?

By your logic, Kevin Ollie could coach here for 10 more years and go sub-500 every year and by your standards, he shouldn't be fired. thats how terrible your logic is.

Who the hell are you to deem someone a "supposed" fan? I don't give a crap if you question anyone as a positive or negative poster but don't question someone's level of fandom - you aren't qualified or deserved to do so

Reaction Score
Who the hell are you to deem someone a "supposed" fan? I don't give a crap if you question anyone as a positive or negative poster but don't question someone's level of fandom - you aren't qualified or deserved to do so
There are posters here that seem to care more about Kevin Ollie's job than the UConn program. Those aren't my words, those are the words expressed by more than a handful of people here.

Reaction Score
the dichotomy is astounding. We have supposed fans who believe that Ollie is the only saving grace for UConn. But they're supposedly the "positive" posters.

Do you know how bad this argument is? Do you want to go through the wringer?

By your logic, Kevin Ollie could coach here for 10 more years and go sub-500 every year and by your standards, he shouldn't be fired. thats how terrible your logic is.

You're crazy if you expect the next guy to come in here in 2018-2019, go to the NCAAs twice, and win a national championship.

That's just deranged.

I wrote it would be astonishing. Not that it's impossible. But it would be a huge surprise.

Reaction Score
1.) He needs to change his soft personality and get tough Calhoun style with the players. He needs to instill fear and discipline in his team. Drop the Mr Preacher/ Mr Nice Guy routine and get real.

2.) Drop the nonsensical Olliesms and hyperbole of players and be realistic and humble

Probably among the most ridiculous things I have read on this site. If I have to tell you why, that takes it up another notch in the absurd tree. I do however agree with your third point:

3.) Win big this season and send Jalen to the NBA via lottery and have Larrier join him in the first round. That will do wonders for recruiting

And look at the idiots who are actually "liking" that post. Amazing.

Reaction Score
You're crazy if you expect the next guy to come in here in 2018-2019, go to the NCAAs twice, and win a national championship.

That's just deranged.

I wrote it would be astonishing. Not that it's impossible. But it would be a huge surprise.
Maybe one person here has claimed that they expect another national championship soon. What the majority of people want is competency. We haven't had that since 2014.

But please, tell me how your pathetic standards were misrepresented by me? Tell me how your logic is sound? Your reasoning for keeping Ollie around is that he won a championship. By that metric he could literally be here forever and be awful forever and it wouldn't matter to you. Stop being so emotional about the coach and care about the health of the program.

Reaction Score
People can try to spin this however they want, but things are pretty bleak with the program right now. So many things need improvement that it's hard to find much reason for optimism. We have 10 scholarship players on May 20th and 3 of them missed last season due to injuries. I fear that Jalen is going to be an exceptional player on a bad team.

Things are undoubtedly bleak but things can flip in an instant. Some of this is bad luck. It was just a year ago that we were a preseason top 25 team with a top 10 class and a coach who was being whispered about in NBA circles. We just need a break. I don't think we deserve one, I don't know if we will get one, but there is still hope. Something as simple as Mamadou being much better than expected would change everything. Unless KO is truly in over his head.

Reaction Score

Can anyone else make heads or tails out of this comment?

Not asking JMick, because he is clearly out to lunch, but anyone else. He thinks he is offering an analogy to what people are saying. No wonder his posts suck so badly. When he reads other posts, he clearly has an absurdly exaggerated version of them in mind.

Reaction Score

Not asking JMick, because he is clearly out to lunch, but anyone else. He thinks he is offering an analogy to what people are saying. No wonder his posts suck so badly. When he reads other posts, he clearly has an absurdly exaggerated version of them in mind.
You said Kevin Ollie shouldn't be fired because he won a national championship in his second year. That means, he could go sub 500 for the rest of his tenure and by your standards, you wouldn't fire him.

you're the one out to lunch.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
oOtLUth.gif

Behold the glory.

It's certainly not what I've had in mind throughout, but I might like this more than anything I've seen on the court or The Boneyard since Mark Emmert handed over the 2014 trophy.

Thank you. I feel much better watching this. Thanks, too, for your avatar. Laughter is the best medicine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been called a "supposed" or "fake" fan all year long. When I said we were going to have a losing season this past year I was called a "fake" fan. When I said it's the worst UConn team I've seen in 30 years "fake" fan. When I questioned Ollie's coaching decisions "fake" fan. When I said we have recruiting problems "fake" fan. When I said there are problems much deeper than just some injuries this season "fake" fan. When I said if Ollie doesn't turn it around Benedict won't sit idly by "fake" fan.

So spare me the uproar over someone saying "supposed" fan. You guys said this cr@p to me and a few other posters all year long.

Reaction Score

I'm not going to scroll through the whole thread but I've seen you say several times in the past that firing Ollie would be the end of UConn basketball or something to that effect. The notion that we can never do better than Ollie no matter how badly he does here is what I'm guessing JMick is responding to.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
When faced with bad news, some people get angry and look for scapegoats. They think being tough and " demanding more" will go a long way toward fixing the problem. It doesn't. But it makes good critics.

Everyone here wants UConn to return to winning ways. So please get off your high horses and your magic thinking that if everyone would just be pissed off enough, like you, this would begin to straighten out.

If you don't think Ollie has at least a year (maybe 2) to straighten this out, you are the delusional ones. We know Ollie will get fired if he can't do the job. Try acting like you like the team we have versus the one to which you think you are entitled. Or don't.

Reaction Score
When faced with bad news, some people get angry and look for scapegoats. They think being tough and " demanding more" will go a long way toward fixing the problem. It doesn't. But it makes good critics.

Everyone here wants UConn to return to winning ways. So please get off your high horses and your magic thinking that if everyone would just be pissed off enough, like you, this would begin to straighten out.

If you don't think Ollie has at least a year (maybe 2) to straighten this out, you are the delusional ones. We know Ollie will get fired if he can't do the job. Try acting like you like the team we have versus the one to which you think you are entitled. Or don't.
it's not about actually effecting the program. It's about getting called bad fans because you're processing reality as a faster pace than the overly optimistic pro-Ollie crowd. The same optimistic base that claims UConn is nothing without Kevin Ollie at the helm.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to scroll through the whole thread but I've seen you say several times in the past that firing Ollie would be the end of UConn basketball or something to that effect. The notion that we can never do better than Ollie no matter how badly he does here is what I'm guessing JMick is responding to.

Nope, never said that.

But, if you're not going to read the posts, then why even bother responding? Makes no sense.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
it's not about actually effecting the program. It's about getting called bad fans because you're processing reality as a faster pace than the overly optimistic pro-Ollie crowd. The same optimistic base that claims UConn is nothing without Kevin Ollie at the helm.

Both sides say stupid stuff when things heat up.

Reaction Score
Nope, never said that.

But, if you're not going to read the posts, then why even bother responding? Makes no sense.
if you don't want your words used against you, then don't say them

Reaction Score
You said Kevin Ollie shouldn't be fired because he won a national championship in his second year. That means, he could go sub 500 for the rest of his tenure and by your standards, you wouldn't fire him.

you're the one out to lunch.

No, I responded to a post that said anyone could do what Ollie did over 3 years, one NCAA tourney and one win. I said it would be astonishing if someone came in and did 2 NCAA tourneys and 7 wins and an NC! And no one ever ever ever said he could have 10 straight losing seasons and he wouldn't/shouldn't get fired. Absurd.

Reaction Score
No, I responded to a post that said anyone could do what Ollie did over 3 years, one NCAA tourney and one win. I said it would be astonishing if someone came in and did 2 NCAA tourneys and 7 wins and an NC! And no one ever ever ever said he could have 10 straight losing seasons and he wouldn't/shouldn't get fired. Absurd.
lol. you're doing it again.

it's your logic. your logic states that because someone can't come in and recreate ollie's first three years, then he shouldn't be fired. that's your argument. not mine.

Reaction Score
if you don't want your words used against you, then don't say them

Oh, yeah, I did say Ollie should keep his job even if he goes ten straight years with losing seasons. Yep, I did say that

Reaction Score
lol. you're doing it again.

it's your logic. your logic states that because someone can't come in and recreate ollie's first three years, then he shouldn't be fired. that's your argument. not mine.

Never said that. Clearly you suck at reading comprehension.

Reaction Score
Oh, yeah, I did say Ollie should keep his job even if he goes ten straight years with losing seasons. Yep, I did say that
you said he shouldn't be fired because no other coach will win a national championship in his second year. that's your statement. I didn't say that. You did.

If that is your argument, then he could coach here, poorly, for 10 years and not get fired, because that is your criteria for keeping him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom