Facey's Presence in the Mix | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Facey's Presence in the Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I haven't seen him, but from what I gather, his contributions will be far more in the rebounding/energy/shot blocking department than in any sort of stretching. He may be able to hit a 12-footer, but he won't be able to lure defenders away. I'm thinking a Marcus White role with a little more defensive presence (he had 10 blocks in a NY State semi against good comp). But we'll see.

Agree 100%. Marcus White is the comparison. And guys like that are very valuable. I don't know where this "stretch 4" stuff comes from with Facey. He's not going to be putting up threes off the secondary break. He's in to rebound, block shots, clean up misses and defend.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Marcus White is the comparison. And guys like that are very valuable. I don't know where this "stretch 4" stuff comes from with Facey. He's not going to be putting up threes off the secondary break. He's in to rebound, block shots, clean up misses and defend.

cause he's "short" for the position

Reaction Score
cause he's "short" for the position
Facey is not a short PF, and Jeff and KFree were not as tall as Facey is and neither were 'stretch' 4s. the whole concept of being a stretch 4 comes from the player's skillset, not their size.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Giffey is a senior with bounds of experience. I think e will be on the court late in close/important games where experience matters more than talent.

The question really is who is the 5 on the court against Louisville/Florida in a 5 point game with 5 minutes left?

I say Giffey, Bazz, Boat, DD and 5? Unfortunately I see Omar getting left out here in favor of experience.

Finally I have no issue with (and want) Giff being on the court at that time.

Giffey has to make shots. I'm not sure experience is an issue. Omar showed he knows what to do late in a close game. I trust his jumper over Giffey's.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I haven't seen him, but from what I gather, his contributions will be far more in the rebounding/energy/shot blocking department than in any sort of stretching. He may be able to hit a 12-footer, but he won't be able to lure defenders away. I'm thinking a Marcus White role with a little more defensive presence (he had 10 blocks in a NY State semi against good comp). But we'll see.

If he could be Marcus White on the offensive glass, I'd gladly settle for that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Facey is not a short PF, and Jeff and KFree were not as tall as Facey is and neither were 'stretch' 4s. the whole concept of being a stretch 4 comes from the player's skillset, not their size.

i'd say that 6'8 is short for pf

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
i'd say that 6'8 is short for pf

Who was our PF when we won it all in 2011? How did he compare physically to Facey? My guess is same height, Facey a few pounds heavier (but KF likely wont heave a 90 foot shot with 10 seconds left).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Who was our PF when we won it all in 2011? How did he compare physically to Facey? My guess is same height, Facey a few pounds heavier (but KF likely wont heave a 90 foot shot with 10 seconds left).

this team doesn't have kemba. but he won't be starting anyway so this argument is kinda irrelevant. im not saying hes a bad player, but right now hes small for a pf

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
napier samuel
boatright kromah
calhoun giffy tolksdorf
daniels facey
nolan olander brima

thats most likely the depth chart

Sounds reasonable to me. I think we're all more concerned with whether or not Giffey starts than Giffey is concerned with the matter himself. Whether he does it as a starter or as our 6th man, he'll bring the same all-out effort and do all the little things that make for wins. From all appearances, he doesn't seem to be an ego guy at all and I think he cares more about playing well and contributing to a W than he does about being on the court when the jump ball is thrown.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
you're watching a different version of college basketball than I am

Adrien, though listed at 6'7'' is actually only 6'5'' and didn't perform too poorly as a PF.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
you're watching a different version of college basketball than I am

its not just the height, thought i read somewhere he was not even 200 lbs. im just saying if we are concerned about being to small facey is not going to help with that. however i still think he will be a great player for us no matter what position he plays

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sounds reasonable to me. I think we're all more concerned with whether or not Giffey starts than Giffey is concerned with the matter himself. Whether he does it as a starter or as our 6th man, he'll bring the same all-out effort and do all the little things that make for wins. From all appearances, he doesn't seem to be an ego guy at all and I think he cares more about playing well and contributing to a W than he does about being on the court when the jump ball is thrown.

i hope giffy starts, i just don't think he will going in to the season, could earn it by the end though. He's my favorite player on the team besides bazz

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can see Facey getting situational time at the 5. KO is emphasizing speed, he may give up size to get that is some situations. I can't wait to watch this team this year. We're in for some entertaining basketball.

Reaction Score
The issue isn't that Facey is under-sized for a 4 in college.

The issue is that Facey is likely under-sized for a 5 in college, but might be under-skilled for a 4 (depending on how Ollie wants to play his lineup). He could have trouble finding a role. That's the concern.

Reaction Score
The issue isn't that Facey is under-sized for a 4 in college.

The issue is that Facey is likely under-sized for a 5 in college, but might be under-skilled for a 4 (depending on how Ollie wants to play his lineup). He could have trouble finding a role. That's the concern.
Ollie is not playing traditional combinations and I don't think there is a back to the basket 5 on the team. That said, Facey was not the 5 for the 2012 LI Lutheran H S program. He was a forward.

Reaction Score
Ollie is not playing traditional combinations and I don't think there is a back to the basket 5 on the team. That said, Facey was not the 5 for the 2012 LI Lutheran H S program. He was a forward.
nah he played the 5, he was the tallest player on the team and the rest were guards who jacked up shots.

Reaction Score
its not just the height, thought i read somewhere he was not even 200 lbs. im just saying if we are concerned about being to small facey is not going to help with that. however i still think he will be a great player for us no matter what position he plays

if DeAndre just cleared the 200lb mark as has been reported I'd be shocked if Facey isn't over 200 because he has considerably more muscle definition in his upper body while being about the same height. he's a lil bit before your time but Gurleyman brought up a pretty good comparison in Marcus White, he has a similar body type and game as Facey, wouldn't surprise me if he fills the same kind of role that White did his freshman year.

Reaction Score
nah he played the 5, he was the tallest player on the team and the rest were guards who jacked up shots.

Mr. Boon - I would not make a statement that was not clearly an opinion without a source. I do agree that Facey seemed to be the tallest player on his team, but Li Lu is a successful program and the 6' 7" center was a beast, not a "guard who jacked up shots."
https://secure.timesunion.com/ASPStories/Story.asp?storyID=1128316&newsdate=2/6/2012&BCCode=MBTA
"After a seesaw contest that featured nine lead changes and seven ties, Long Island Lutheran took control with superior work in the paint — led by the combination of 6-foot-7 senior center Ryan DiNicola, 6-9 junior forward Kentan Facey and 6-3 junior forward K.J. Lee. The trio combined for 48 points and 34 rebounds, including 20 points and 21 boards by DiNicola."

Reaction Score
Ah yes. Marcy White: 'never met a rebound he didn't like.'

Reaction Score
Mr. Boon - I would not make a statement that was not clearly an opinion without a source. I do agree that Facey seemed to be the tallest player on his team, but Li Lu is a successful program and the 6' 7" center was a beast, not a "guard who jacked up shots."
https://secure.timesunion.com/ASPStories/Story.asp?storyID=1128316&newsdate=2/6/2012&BCCode=MBTA
"After a seesaw contest that featured nine lead changes and seven ties, Long Island Lutheran took control with superior work in the paint — led by the combination of 6-foot-7 senior center Ryan DiNicola, 6-9 junior forward Kentan Facey and 6-3 junior forward K.J. Lee. The trio combined for 48 points and 34 rebounds, including 20 points and 21 boards by DiNicola."

the link you posted was from his jr season, not his sr season. between sny and msgvarsity, Facey was on tv/online about 5 times, he was most definitely their C.

edit, I now see you said 2012 season, understood. I was referring to his sr season, bad reading on my part.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Using the "eye test," Kentan does resemble Deandre in overall size. Probably a little bit heavier, but not a lot. Both are definitely on the slender side and likely to get knocked around inside by heavier players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom