Evina -WNBA? | The Boneyard

Evina -WNBA?

Reaction Score
Evina has what like 24 hours now or something to announce if she is declaring for the WNBA? I don’t think CW and ONO are eligible, right?

Reaction Score
No, CW and ONO are only 20 years old - so are not eligible (since they were born in the U.S.).

Reaction Score
I'm guessing EW leaves. The only reason to come back is fight for a title, but that is far from certain. All other factors indicate declaring is best for her.

Reaction Score
I think EW should declare even though she’s not WNBA ready bc not sure how much playing time she gets next year with the incoming class to display her talents. She performed enough this year to get drafted given the pool of draftees

Reaction Score
Personally I believe she should go. I thought Westbrook was a talent at UT even if she didn't always show it. My viewings of her this year is she moves better, has shown excellent leadership, and her basketball ability is evident. She may not be a star but she can give a team some quality minutes. I would leave but it's a individual decision for everyone.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
We are just starting to see what Evina is capable of in the near triple double performance against Iowa as she impacted every area of the game so efficiently and occurring well within the flow of the game complimenting her teammates efforts it seemed almost invisible.

She has a work ethic 2nd to none in striving to come back, to continue to improve her physical health with not 1 but 2 off-season surgeries and is still readjusting to playing at the highest WBB level.

Her BB IQ is excellent but her on court at game speed decisions/executions are still developing/improving. Learning to play in a new system with new teammates in a dysfunctional season like this she showed nothing but great leadership the team needed and still needs.

She is not going to overpower anyone physically, but out-think them, brings on court aggressiveness and maturity that is a high value to the team.

I hope she is coming back to continue her improvement and gain the performance consistency required at the WNBA level as a Point Guard.

If at some point in the future she finds her WNBA aspirations don’t materialize I hope she is back on the UCONN bench as a Graduate Assistant I believe she would make a great Coach someday.

Reaction Score
We don't know what's going on with Evian's thought process. We should back away & encourage her to do what's best. Reminder, that it's a replay of a decision to transfer her career to UConn. Again , it comes down to a 'yes' or 'no' ! I appreciate all her effort she has put in her playing. She has given the team a great attitude & performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If she comes back she will have her starting spot. As will CW and ONO. Starting five is essentially the same next year. Maybe Geno plays around with Nika's spot a bit, but don't expect big changes seven months from now.
I would not hand Nelson-Ododa a starting spot. Doesn’t deserve one. Hasn’t played as a post needs to. Is always a minus in every big game. The only thing we can count on from Olivia is that she will blow layups.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we get it. How many times are you going to post the same thing?
I don’t know. Maybe when people start acknowledging the problem instead saying she’ll be a sure starter next year.

I haven’t read or heard anyone else here “get it” by the way.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I will tell you this NO UConn players are going to the WNBA this season..

Reaction Score
Evina has to leave. She's incurred serious knee injuries on which she's had two surgeries already. She has nothing left to prove in the college game. She has a great deal to lose if she incurs further injures on that knee while playing for free in the college game. On top of that, she will be contesting for playing time next year with a slew of new players, all highly ranked, all with similar skill sets.

The calculation is simple: she needs to turn pro and make as much as she can while her injured knee holds out. This is a no-brainer.

We love what she's done for us. She has nothing to apologize for when she declares for the pros. It's the rational decision.

Good luck to her.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don’t know. Maybe when people start acknowledging the problem instead saying she’ll be a sure starter next year.

I haven’t read or heard anyone else here “get it” by the way.
You are absolutely right. The simple truth of your words leaves me humbled and impressed. Thank you, thank you so very much for sharing them.

There, that should be enough validation for you. Perhaps now you can stop beating that horse. There’s no life left in it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Evina has to leave. She's incurred serious knee injuries on which she's had two surgeries already. She has nothing left to prove in the college game. She has a great deal to lose if she incurs further injures on that knee while playing for free in the college game. On top of that, she will be contesting for playing time next year with a slew of new players, all highly ranked, all with similar skill sets.

The calculation is simple: she needs to turn pro and make as much as she can while her injured knee holds out. This is a no-brainer.

We love what she's done for us. She has nothing to apologize for when she declares for the pros. It's the rational decision.

Good luck to her.
I think you are right, though I hate to see Evina go. She played a critically important role this year both on and off the court. I’d love to have her back, but I wish her every success if she decides it’s time for her to leave.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom