Evina -WNBA? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Evina -WNBA?

Reaction Score
Life changing money. A whole $69K as a rookie, picks 1-4 non guaranteed. Picks 5-8 get about $66.5K. But second year it can jump all the way up to .......$70K. And they actually have to make a roster to get it.
But they earn that money in like four months don't they? That's an annualized pay rate of $210k. $70k by itself is a pretty good salary in most of the country.

Reaction Score
While it is a weak draft, you still have to make the team. Or you might think one more year might improve your draft stock, as Mya Hollingshed, a projected 19th pick, did in deciding to play a fifth year. If Evina’s is a physical question, she might want to focus on a college NC or AA, rather than being a bust or short lived in WNBA.
While I agree that this is a relatively weak draft, there is another factor in the opposite direction. There are very very few roster spots that are really open in the WNBA this year. Last year it was easier to get one of those roster spots because many players sat out for health reasons or didn't want to play in the bubble.

This year you have the players from last year plus the players returning who sat out, and the draftees. I followed WNBA free agency closely and some teams do not have room to sign their first round draft picks. Dallas for example has already done a buyout and trade to free up spots, and still doesn't have room for the 5th and 7th pick. They also have #1 and #2. The new union contract has also resulted in a reduced number of WNBA spots.

With the new caps, many WNBA teams are saying rather than have a 12th player, they would rather spend that money on upgrading one of the first 11. Because of a weak draft, the bubble last year, and the new contract, there probably will be more first round picks waived than in most years, and more teams carrying just 11.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
A high draft pick in the WNBA can be quite sure that she will be offered a lucrative foreign contract for the winter after her first season in the W finishes. That, plus any endorsement dollars that may be available, have to be weighed in addition to the player's "summer league" salary.

Looking at all this, Evina would be making a significant financial sacrifice to remain in college. But maybe she thinks that she can make her body more durable and her basketball skills more compelling by staying another year.

Reaction Score
This is an Olympic year (delayed) so I wonder if some foreign players will stay home to train, freeing up a few extra roster spots?

Reaction Score
Unless E is a top 8pick she should stay, any lower and she could get cut, and this is a weak draft. Next year’s draft isn’t very strong, unless any of the 2019 kids who are stars declare early, E has a better chance of going in the top 8 next year. Howard, Cunane, Smith, Austin, and Hillmon will likely be the 1st 5 player taken, Westbrook could go as high as 6th next season if she shows some consistent scoring, better defensive, and better decisions with the ball, and she could also be named an All American, and add a national championship.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Unless E is a top 8pick she should stay, any lower and she could get cut, and this is a weak draft. Next year’s draft isn’t very strong, unless any of the 2019 kids who are stars declare early, E has a better chance of going in the top 8 next year. Howard, Cunane, Smith, Austin, and Hillmon will likely be the 1st 5 player taken, Westbrook could go as high as 6th next season if she shows some consistent scoring, better defensive, and better decisions with the ball, and she could also be named an All American, and add a national championship.
Awak Kuier should be the number 1 pick in this draft.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Listen to me no one from UConn is going to the WNBA this season. Nobody. They will all be back.
:eek: Some of us heard and believed you the first time you said it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
While I agree that this is a relatively weak draft, there is another factor in the opposite direction. There are very very few roster spots that are really open in the WNBA this year. Last year it was easier to get one of those roster spots because many players sat out for health reasons or didn't want to play in the bubble.

This year you have the players from last year plus the players returning who sat out, and the draftees. I followed WNBA free agency closely and some teams do not have room to sign their first round draft picks. Dallas for example has already done a buyout and trade to free up spots, and still doesn't have room for the 5th and 7th pick. They also have #1 and #2. The new union contract has also resulted in a reduced number of WNBA spots.

With the new caps, many WNBA teams are saying rather than have a 12th player, they would rather spend that money on upgrading one of the first 11. Because of a weak draft, the bubble last year, and the new contract, there probably will be more first round picks waived than in most years, and more teams carrying just 11.
Appreciate the info.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"History of injuries" is an exaggeration. Evina has never missed an NCAA game due to injury.
True, but had she been granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA, like some transfers, Evina would have sat out most, if not all of last season after undergoing a second successive knee operation.

We also know from Geno that Evina was not 100% this season. Geno did a good job managing her minutes throughout the season to keep Evina in the lineup. To her credit Evina was then able to play 37+ mpg in the NCAA Tournament.

I’m sure Evina will make the best choice for her. She knows better than anyone else how well her body held up this season and whether or not it’s better to jump to the pros sooner, in a relatively weak draft, or return to UConn for another season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
True, but had she been granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA, like some transfers, Evina would have sat out most, if not all of last season after undergoing a second successive knee operation.
What has been reported is that Evina had a first surgery immediately upon her arrival from TN along with Crystal Dangerfield. Both players were deemed ready to play by the start of fall official practices. Evina was ready to go and would have deferred the second surgery until after the season. Since the NCAA did not rule Evina eligible she elected to have the second surgery in January instead of waiting until April. Evina also stayed over the summer at UCONN to rehab so as to be ready for the start of this current season. Evina has never missed a game at UCONN nor at TN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm encouraged that Christyn said postgame that everyone will be back.

Also liked her candor when she said she didn't like the (last) question.
What was that last question?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Westbrook likely plays fewer minutes and takes on a smaller role with the emergence of the freshmen. She'll be sharing minutes with Fudd, Ducharme, and Makurat and as a result I dont see her usage or production increasing. She definitely isn't playing 30.7 minutes per game next year. I dont see her being in the mix for AA honors either with Bueckers/Williams returning and all of the roster depth.

Next year's draft also appears to be deeper and stronger. Westbrook has the frame and skills to be a solid pro but lacks consistency and production. Of the players mentioned, I'd also expect her to go behind C. Williams, Queen Egbo, Ashley Joens, Destanni Henderson, Rae Burrell, Jessika Carter and Sedona Price. ONO too is a better prospect IMO if she can hit score against decent teams. She has a better shot of going in the 1st round this year. Realistically I don't think she's lasting in the league for more than a handful of seasons but if she wants to make a roster and get her foot in the door, her best bet is this year IMO.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I would not hand Nelson-Ododa a starting spot. Doesn’t deserve one. Hasn’t played as a post needs to. Is always a minus in every big game. The only thing we can count on from Olivia is that she will blow layups.
Here he is! Your Troll of the Week winner by unanimous consent., @MuchoDogYears Congratulations Mr. or Mrs or Miss or Ms MuchoDogYears for your series of ill-informed yet combative posts.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Cheryl Reeve Minnesota coach, Drafting UConn players as “plug-and-play players" who are groomed for success by Auriemma’s demanding program. ESPN has her going #5 to Dallas:

5. Dallas Wings: Evina Westbrook*, PG, UConn

Zach Bolinger/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
We don't know yet if Westbrook will declare for the WNBA draft, but she's eligible as a redshirt junior. After two seasons at Tennessee, she sat out a year, and is in her first season playing for UConn. She is a 6-foot point guard with good size, something that might be an asset for the Wings, and has shown a lot of leadership and maturity. In UConn's first two NCAA tournament victories -- in which they cruised over High Point and Syracuse -- she had a combined 14 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists. Westbrook can make a big impact on a game without big stats.

Reaction Score
What was that last question?

It's not the last question. What CW said was "I did not like that last question" during the presser to some guy from the Hartford Courant. Here is the time indexed question

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What has been reported is that Evina had a first surgery immediately upon her arrival from TN along with Crystal Dangerfield. Both players were deemed ready to play by the start of fall official practices. Evina was ready to go and would have deferred the second surgery until after the season. Since the NCAA did not rule Evina eligible she elected to have the second surgery in January instead of waiting until April. Evina also stayed over the summer at UCONN to rehab so as to be ready for the start of this current season. Evina has never missed a game at UCONN nor at TN.
You already mentioned that Evina never missed a game, which I acknowledged. Evina’s first surgery was in June. According to the Hartford Courant, Evina’s second surgery took place in December. While it did take place after she was ruled ineligible, there was no mention in the article I read that indicated the surgery would have been deferred had she been eligible. Regardless, two knee surgeries in 7 months time is hardly routine.

Reaction Score
I don't see where $65,000 is life changing money. I'm sure many UConn graduates will make that much
when they get out of school without the potential to lose it at any minute by injury.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I do realize you were being sarcastic about the "life changing money".

Reaction Score
IMO Evina knee is still a problem and may need to have another MRI to check it out. She has slowed down from her Freshman year and it shows against the quicker teams. It's so stupid to have these players have to decide so quickly. I can see her as a future Coach at this level and if she decided against the WNBA and another year here with 2 years as a grad asst. would give her a big jump in that field. Good luck with what you decide for your future! It was great to watch you play this year!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom