Evina -WNBA? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evina -WNBA?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don’t know. Maybe when people start acknowledging the problem instead saying she’ll be a sure starter next year.

I haven’t read or heard anyone else here “get it” by the way.
perhaps that should tell you something about the quality of the insight you offer. Keep barking at the moon, but it won't go away. Evidently Liv does more for this team than you see.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I feel certain Evina has a tremendous love for her teammates. The love and mutual affection on this team is something she helped create How much does not wanting to say good bye enter into her decision? Looking at Tuck's career, Evina's financial decision should be to go where she will be a top 10 pick. Only she knows her heart and how much she wants/needs a national championship. It's my belief that the pain of defeat will begin to wear off and she will make the sound decision for herself. Just like she has exemplified throughout her season of sound decisions.

Reaction Score
I feel certain Evina has a tremendous love for her teammates. The love and mutual affection on this team is something she helped create How much does not wanting to say good bye enter into her decision? Looking at Tuck's career, Evina's financial decision should be to go where she will be a top 10 pick. Only she knows her heart and how much she wants/needs a national championship. It's my belief that the pain of defeat will begin to wear off and she will make the sound decision for herself. Just like she has exemplified throughout her season of sound decisions.

Yes, look at Tuck. Tuck's career was shortened by injuries in high school and college. She went pro, but never came close to reaching her potential due to injuries. What if Evina's knee gets injured again during next year's season? I'm guessing that if she talks to Shea Ralph, whose career was ended by yet another knee injury during college, she'll see that no matter how much she wants to return, and how much the team would appreciate her returning, she has to go pro. This year.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. Maybe when people start acknowledging the problem instead saying she’ll be a sure starter next year.

I haven’t read or heard anyone else here “get it” by the way.
She will be a starter next year unless someone blows her out of the water. Olivia has helped us get to where we are, she’s also hurt us at times as has CW. We can just hope she gets better and we have better options to relieve her next year. She’s an excellent player, but is a role player at that unless we’re playing big East games where she comes alive.

Reaction Score
If she comes back she will have her starting spot. As will CW and ONO. Starting five is essentially the same next year. Maybe Geno plays around with Nika's spot a bit, but don't expect big changes seven months from now.
nothing against EW but Fudd is already a better player and will be starting from day one..........she's the missing link that will give UConn the consistent scoring they need to make it to the finals next season......

Reaction Score
I would not hand Nelson-Ododa a starting spot. Doesn’t deserve one. Hasn’t played as a post needs to. Is always a minus in every big game. The only thing we can count on from Olivia is that she will blow layups.
Thought this was a thread about Evina, but since you brought this up, overreacting re:ONO? Without her, who would guard Boston, Baylor bigs, etc.-all teams we beat. Particularly against the teams with 2 strong bigs, who would guard them next year? Truely a horrid game on offense last night but was solid on defense and rebounding. Takes pressure off Edwards. Take a deep breath.

Reaction Score
With her injuries, she should move on. It will benefit the team as well. It’s apparent after last night that we don’t have a post presence. So developing Aaliyah to be that low post threat, is crucial to next year’s success.

Reaction Score
If she comes back she will have her starting spot. As will CW and ONO. Starting five is essentially the same next year. Maybe Geno plays around with Nika's spot a bit, but don't expect big changes seven months from now.
I think you are right. However, as always....if a player forces her way into the starting line-up, due to consistently superior play, the roles will change. You can't tell me that if Azzi Fudd is " healthy," she won't force her way into the starting #2 guard. What we really need to happen is for someone to force Olivia into a bench role. That may be asking too much, unless the new recruit ( DeBerry) is like Ajai or Boston. But UCONN left too many points in the paint last night, not to mention the foul line.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I would love for Evina to return, but she is currently projected as a top-10 draft pick and her history of injuries would strongly point to declaring for the draft now.
Yes, in fact a certain sports network recently bumped her up to #5. More important is what Geno's soliciting of GM opinions reveals. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching her play this year, would hate to see her go, but will root for her either way.

On the positive side, the breadth of her skill set is impressive. She's big enough to be a combo guard in the pros, at least overseas. She's savvy and very competitive. It appears as though her mindset throughout a game is even-keel. That said, I've never felt like she was a 1st-round pick. Her handle could use work. She is not a consistent three-point shooter. She's athletic, but not supremely quick. And frankly, in a typical game there would be two or three plays she would make/attempt that left me scratching my head. I don't know if another year of coaching could help with that.

I've felt most of the year that she was not 100%, and suspect she still is not. In my mind, her decision turns on whether her knee could get better/stronger with another year of workouts/rehab. I recognize the risks and don't wish to minimize them. Of course, you could go pro, tear a ligament in the first month and be laid up for a long time. The obverse of the knee problems being a good reason to leave is that if you anticipate such problems the rest of your career, maybe getting a good start on a master's is a good idea (probably I'm an old-fashioned idealist on that one).

One thing about this that brings out the sentimental in me is that I would hate for this perverted year to be the only one she plays at UConn. That has nothing to do with losing last night. I just think it would be great for her to play in front of thousands of adoring fans and if not get on the wall, at least go down as one of UConn's better players. That would be something she could hold onto her whole life.

Finally, Evina versus Azzi: I know a lot of posters are over the moon about Azzi. If E were to come back, I don't see Azzi (or Caroline Ducharme or Poff) supplanting E in the starting lineup. I don't see Azzi being able to rebound or defend like E, and possibly not pass like her. If I'm wrong, great. And of course, many former UConn players found some success in the pro ranks after being a sub in college.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you are right. However, as always....if a player forces her way into the starting line-up, due to consistently superior play, the roles will change. You can't tell me that if Azzi Fudd is " healthy," she won't force her way into the starting #2 guard. What we really need to happen is for someone to force Olivia into a bench role. That may be asking too much, unless the new recruit ( DeBerry) is like Ajai or Boston. But UCONN left too many points in the paint last night, not to mention the foul line.
Oh yeah I'm sure if Fudd is otherworldly it'll be hard to keep her out of the lineup, but next year may be a situation where Geno has some starters in name only. I could see heavy subbing of our seniors very early in the game mainly for Edwards and Fudd. I still think we need to develop a deeper bench. If we're up 30 in games next year, rather than try to win by 40, the starters need to come out and let the bench figure some ish out for themselves in game situations. We can't keep having a bench that plays as many minutes in big games as I do.

Reaction Score
your talking about the backbone of UConn's defense who averaged 12 points and 8 rebounds in 26 minutes per game sand was third on the team in assists...................she needs to get stronger and become a better finisher but she starts next season for sure....

Reaction Score
While it is a weak draft, you still have to make the team. Or you might think one more year might improve your draft stock, as Mya Hollingshed, a projected 19th pick, did in deciding to play a fifth year. If Evina’s is a physical question, she might want to focus on a college NC or AA, rather than being a bust or short lived in WNBA.

Reaction Score
Just curious. How much money are we talking about if Evina goes pro and is a first round pick?

Reaction Score
What WNBA team would not want to have Evina on their roster....??

And with the cards she is currently holding health wise, I think she needs to make the big move.....

Reaction Score
I think Evina will go to the WNBA. When Michelle Voepel asked her, post game, Evina replied "I'm not thinking about that right now ".

I take that as a yes, I'm going to the draft.

We shall see if I interpreted her answer correctly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just curious. How much money are we talking about if Evina goes pro and is a first round pick?
In an interview yesterday or the day before Sue Bird said the salary is just part of the picture and there is endorsement money that is a very significant part of the deal. She wasn't talking her situation but more generally for mere mortals.

Reaction Score
i'd be shocked if she stayed. take the $$ and run while you still can. shell definitely go in the 1st round.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
If I were a GM, I would not gamble on an Injured player who has not recovered to at least 90+% unless they were that dominant. There are healthy players who don't make the cut in the WNBA, so why exactly take that chance. I Love Mama E, but at this stage, it would be best to focus on getting healthier...

Reaction Score
Life changing money. A whole $69K as a rookie, picks 1-4 non guaranteed. Picks 5-8 get about $66.5K. But second year it can jump all the way up to .......$70K. And they actually have to make a roster to get it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom