Evina Waived. Burke and Harrigan as well | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Evina Waived. Burke and Harrigan as well

Reaction Score
Some are looking at this as they kept Lavender or Gray instead of Westbrook, but to me it's more of Prince or January. I called that as soon as she was drafted. Cunane is the one who was hurt by them keeping Lavender/Gray.
I agree with you there on Prince/January. I’m also curious about Jade Melbourne being the only rookie still listed on the roster. I know that she’ll be playing in Australia and won’t be coming over anytime soon. If anyone has any insight as to why she hasn’t been waived, I’d be interested in hearing about it.

Reaction Score
It's a bad situation. The salary cap for a team is about 1.39 M this year. The older veterans have nowhere to go. They are finally making some money with the salary increases but it's not like they can retire on what they earn. They try to stay around as long as they can and play in Europe also. Evina would have earned 50k this year with very modest increases the next 2 years. Like someone said for all these players, stay the extra year in college, get a Masters degree, if you do get cut you are better equipped for the marketplace. As for the WNBA, I don't know what the answer is, but it sure as hell isn't cutting young, vibrant players that fans know about from college and that can rejuvenate the league. I loved Evina as a Husky. Very upset with the team, the coach, the league and the stupidity of all those who are responsible for this poorly run fiasco they call the W.
Why should someone earn the right to retire at 30-35 just because they play a sport that has no intrinsic market value? When they're done with their playing career, they can go get a job and retire at 65 like the rest of us schlubs.

They get from $60k-200k+ for 4 months of work AND they got a free college education. They are better off than probably 90% of the country, but act like they are victims. Cry me a river already!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree with you there on Prince/January. I’m also curious about Jade Melbourne being the only rookie still listed on the roster. I know that she’ll be playing in Australia and won’t be coming over anytime soon. If anyone has any insight as to why she hasn’t been waived, I’d be interested in hearing about it.
I think it's simple -- she hasn't signed a contract and won't be paid by the Storm, so her salary cap hit is $0.00. Hence they Storm have no reason to waive her and allow another team to sign her.

Reaction Score
Why should someone earn the right to retire at 30-35 just because they play a sport that has no intrinsic market value? When they're done with their playing career, they can go get a job and retire at 65 like the rest of us schlubs.

They get from $60k-200k+ for 4 months of work AND they got a free college education. They are better off than probably 90% of the country, but act like they are victims. Cry me a river already!

Professional athletes pretty much work year-round on their craft even if they may only pay 4 months. It's a full-time job! I would estimate that they work more at their job than most people in the "real" world.

Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook did not fulfill her collage dream of a championship and may have a short lived pro career. But she’s a smart, confident Husky and her journey now begins. Two Final Fours and she’s never going on whatever we now call the Wall. But she’s forever welcome in Storrs and forever a UConn teammate. Evina will be noticed -and liked- wherever she heads. Have you met Kelly Schumacher ?

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, the wnba needs to start getting younger, nalyssa smith said it best, the wnba needs more youth, imo there cutting young talent that can bring them viewers, which eventually brings in more money. I’m not saying to just start cutting a lot of veterans, but there has to be a balance, that’s what’s good about the nba there’s a mix of great veterans mixed with some really good up in coming young talent. Wnba is cutting these girls before they even get a chance to prove themselves.

Reaction Score
So...UConn fans are gonna boycott Seattle despite Stewie still playing there and maybe Bird being on her last lap around the league? Really?
My answer to your question is YES! For me, personally, I was looking forward to watching the Seattle games to follow Evina‘s progress. The same for Olivia and the Sparks. I may watch a game to see Sue in her last year, but I was most interested in following our newest draftees throughout the season. Evina’s success as well as Olivia’s during the training camp proved they would be great additions to their teams. Bringing in Reshanda Gray late in the preseason and keeping so many of the older veterans, is disrespectful to these drafted college athletes. If you look at the previous year’s stats for many of these veteran players, they do not deserve to be kept on a roster just because they are veterans. The WNBA should draft less players, one round only, rather than carrying on this charade. Social media is lighting up for the WNBA, but not in a good way. The negative press of having a draft of extremely talented players, only to be cut, is not what the league needs to build its fan base. The WNBA is a disaster, and this fan is so very disappointed.

Reaction Score
Lindsay Allen,, a 5 uear vet, was waived from Indiana today, but they kept Henderson??? Damn, I'd keep ND pedigree long before the one game wonder.

Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook did not fulfill her collage dream of a championship and may have a short lived pro career. But she’s a smart, confident Husky and her journey now begins. Two Final Fours and she’s never going on whatever we now call the Wall. But she’s forever welcome in Storrs and forever a UConn teammate. Evina will be noticed -and liked- wherever she heads. Have you met Kelly Schumacher ?
Collage, as in a poster with a bunch of pictures? Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Reaction Score

Umm, this is why Britney Griner is in Russia. It’s why Taurasi and Bird played in Russia.

Reaction Score
I think it's simple -- she hasn't signed a contract and won't be paid by the Storm, so her salary cap hit is $0.00. Hence they Storm have no reason to waive her and allow another team to sign her.
Thank you! Makes sense.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, the wnba needs to start getting younger, nalyssa smith said it best, the wnba needs more youth, imo there cutting young talent that can bring them viewers, which eventually brings in more money. I’m not saying to just start cutting a lot of veterans, but there has to be a balance, that’s what’s good about the nba there’s a mix of great veterans mixed with some really good up in coming young talent. Wnba is cutting these girls before they even get a chance to prove themselves.
Well said! I agree 100%

Reaction Score
I expect Ododa to be cut as well, that would mean all 3 Uconn players got cut. I think they should have comeback, one more run at the title wouldn't have hurt.

Reaction Score
It was Kaela Davis, one of the players from SC 2017 National Championship team. She gave up her last year of eligibility and was a 1st round draft pick, played 2 years for Dallas and got waived. She’s killed it overseas but hasn’t been able to stick with a WNBA team. She got waived by CHICAGO today.
This just proves that the WNBA is not ready for prime time!

Reaction Score
Dang! This is the sad part about this whole process. Some players, especially the ones we have watched over the years, struggle to make the roster or find a team to play for and it just sucks!
We tell these girls, especially our high school girls, work hard on your game. Keep the grades up. Do all of the little things correctly and then...boom! Get drafted. Show up early for practice. Stay late for practice. Putting in the work. Then you get wavied 2-3 days before the season opener. Just sucks!

And it's not the fault of the League. Like the NBA in its early stage, they had 8-12 teams for awhile. Some legends couldn't make an NBA team. They would show up for tryouts ans bust their buns back in the 50s and 60s and not make it in the League.

Not trying to spin it but hopefully some other team, with an extra slot or two, can pick up Evina. This is just the sad part of this business that hopefully they figure something out soon. Because there is a whole bunch of talent coming up over the next several years and if the league doesn't figure things out, they will lose loyal fans and potential fans.

Reaction Score
My answer to your question is YES! For me, personally, I was looking forward to watching the Seattle games to follow Evina‘s progress. The same for Olivia and the Sparks. I may watch a game to see Sue in her last year, but I was most interested in following our newest draftees throughout the season. Evina’s success as well as Olivia’s during the training camp proved they would be great additions to their teams. Bringing in Reshanda Gray late in the preseason and keeping so many of the older veterans, is disrespectful to these drafted college athletes. If you look at the previous year’s stats for many of these veteran players, they do not deserve to be kept on a roster just because they are veterans. The WNBA should draft less players, one round only, rather than carrying on this charade. Social media is lighting up for the WNBA, but not in a good way. The negative press of having a draft of extremely talented players, only to be cut, is not what the league needs to build its fan base. The WNBA is a disaster, and this fan is so very disappointed.
I think they bring Gray Because Mercedes Russell is injured and need to another center, which is not Evina's position.
Personally I will still watch, I mean if Uconn fans won't even watch one of their legend's last dance like Sue, or their best player in Stewie or Gabby that is one of fan's fav, I'm sure those fans won't watch Evina or ONO either in one or two years.

Reaction Score
UConn WBB is my favorite team, men’s or women’s, at any level, in any sport. But I love basketball generally. I watch women’s and men’s college basketball, the NBA (especially Golden State and the Bulls), the EuroLeague (ASVEL and Monaco; Kevin Durant and Emma Stone were in the stands at the Monaco game yesterday) … and the WNBA (Seattle is my favorite).

I’m super bummed about E, and I hope she’ll be picked up by another team. But I’m not going to boycott the W and be part of the problem. The underlying problem in the WNBA is a lack of people in the stands and especially viewers on TV. Sure, the NBA needs to spend more money on promoting the women’s game, but the WNBA is getting more coverage in the press, and there are more games on TV now. It’s making progress, but it’s going to take time for the financial situation to change.

Even if the number of players in the WNBA doubled from 144 to 288 players, it would still be extremely difficult to get on a team. Professional sports are like that. In all sports amazing players do not get on a pro team, or they do and are cut after a few years. Teams are trying to win. It’s not about fairness.

Reaction Score
I am also bummed about E. I doubt she gets picked up by another team. Who has any open spots? There's always Europe, and if E. doesn't want to go overseas, how about broadcasting? In my opinion the camera is very friendly to E.

Reaction Score
Much like what Seattle did with Ezi, Laureen Jackson is one of the heads of. Australia basketball. They knew Ezi was 19, and wouldn't come to America the 1st year.
Same with Melbourne, she is on their national team will stay in Australia this year, and come over next year.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't get the WNBA. She gets drafted 21st overall and gets cut?? This makes no sense. If it was for salary reasons, wouldn't veterans get cut and young players be retained? It's really amazing this league is still in business.

Reaction Score
The WNBA really needs to just have two rounds of the draft. At this point when first round selections are getting cut, then there is no reason to have three.

What's seemingly happened is the mid range players are getting relatively large deals which leaves little to no room for additional players beyond one or two spots, which is why lots of teams are carrying 11. The "144" number is deceiving as now it can be a few as 132. There will be rookies who hang around due to them being on the low end of the food chain but it appears the last two classes have been sacrificial lambs as a ripple effect of the new collective bargaining agreement.

Reaction Score

Obviously nobody has that right but I was pointing out the issues with the league and the effect on young players like Evina. Many first round picks were waived this year and the league can't expand due to poor revenues and the CBA allowed for higher salaries for certain players. It will not change without new blood, just like the NBA with Larry and Magic.

Reaction Score
It was Kaela Davis, one of the players from SC 2017 National Championship team. She gave up her last year of eligibility and was a 1st round draft pick, played 2 years for Dallas and got waived. She’s killed it overseas but hasn’t been able to stick with a WNBA team. She got waived by CHICAGO today.
Kaela Davis WNBA stats are horrible. Playing good overseas stats doesn't mean that going to transfer over in the WNBA because the level of competition is higher in the WNBA.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I expect Ododa to be cut as well, that would mean all 3 Uconn players got cut. I think they should have comeback, one more run at the title wouldn't have hurt.
four attempts wasn't enough? give the youths a chance, i say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom