Evina Waived. Burke and Harrigan as well | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evina Waived. Burke and Harrigan as well

Reaction Score
Could anyone explain to me why they added Reshanda Gray to the roster?
If I’m not mistaken there starting center Mercedes’ Russell is out, so I think they are just temporarily replacing her. I think since Russell is out, Seattle probably needed a post player at the moment, more then they needed another guard

Reaction Score
Par for the course. Seattle was choosing to keep over the hill veterans long before Quinn was the HC...in fact Quinn as a player is a glaring example of this.
And rather then promote the guy who won the championship in 2020 when Hughes couldn't coach they promoted Quinn. Management in Seattle is messed up.
If Sue hadn't come back Stewie would have left.

Reaction Score
If I’m not mistaken there starting center Mercedes’ Russell is out, so I think they are just temporarily replacing her. I think since Russell is out, Seattle probably needed a post player at the moment, more then they needed another guard
Thanks, she just came out of nowhere, they added her to the training camp a few days ago. Felt like that move may have hurt Evina‘s chances for the last spot.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
For almost all college players, max out your college eligibility, whatever that might be. Unless you are at the very very top of the food chain, the WNBA has no use for you. Its finances are a mess and the local Walmart has more employees than the WNBA has players.
And the local WalMart employees have more job security.

Reaction Score
Thanks, she just came out of nowhere, they added her to the training camp a few days ago. Felt like that move may have hurt Evina‘s chances for the last spot.
Yea exactly, somebody on twitter made a good point, like once Russell comes back, will they waive gray, and like bring someone back

Reaction Score
It seems more obvious this year because high draft picks are being waived, but it’s been going on for years. Those “generational” (I hate that term) type players come into the league and take up a roster spot for many years. Think Fowles, Griner, McCoughtry, Taurasi, Bird, Parker, Delle Donne, Ogwumike, Vandersloot, Charles and Stewart. That’s basically 10% of the league. In the past, vets would get cut in favor of rookie contracts. Rookies would stick for a year or two and turn over. But for some reason, the cba is reversing that trend. But then again, you look at some of the awful wnba teams and think these are the best players out there? There’s just such a big disparity between the top tier players and the rest. So many players get to this level and are just role players, and sometimes you favor having a vet with experience over a rookie for that role.

I don’t have any answers, I think the league needs to expand. But if they do, the talent needs to be dispersed evenly. The bottom teams are already so bad, last thing you need is another 2-4 irrelevant franchises. Money is such an issue unfortunately.

Also recently, the drafts haven’t been deep at all. Jackie young, Charli collier, and Rhyne Howard as 3 of the last 4 one picks has to be the weakest stretch of talent in quite a while. If the incoming talent isn’t beating out the returning, this is bound to happen. Sorry for rambling, but I think in a few years time the leave will look very different. A lot of mainstays will retire and there will be opportunity for a new generation. Geez I got off topic. Shame about Evina.

Reaction Score
Yea exactly, somebody on twitter made a good point, like once Russell comes back, will they waive gray, and like bring someone back
They already have Lavender as a backup, they sure don't need Gray.

Reaction Score
Well that stinks. I hope Evina can catch on with another team.

Reaction Score
Very true, one of the wnba players said this, I forgot her name, but she tweeted that if you have any college eligibility stay in school in use it all up, because making the wnba is tough, at the end of the day, it’s a veterans league, 9 times out of ten, the veteran will make the team before a rookie. Some of these teams I can name about 2-3 veterans that should have been cut over some of these rookies
It was Kaela Davis, one of the players from SC 2017 National Championship team. She gave up her last year of eligibility and was a 1st round draft pick, played 2 years for Dallas and got waived. She’s killed it overseas but hasn’t been able to stick with a WNBA team. She got waived by CHICAGO today.

Reaction Score
I am sure Evina will get picked up by another team. She performed well in preseason and seemed to have a lot of positive things about her said by the organization.
But who? All of these teams are cutting 1st round draft picks.

Reaction Score
Very true, one of the wnba players said this, I forgot her name, but she tweeted that if you have any college eligibility stay in school in use it all up, because making the wnba is tough, at the end of the day, it’s a veterans league, 9 times out of ten, the veteran will make the team before a rookie. Some of these teams I can name about 2-3 veterans that should have been cut over some of these rookies
There have consistently been two narratives on this subject.

1) The salary cap is shutting off marginal veterans.

2) The league is showing a preference of marginal veterans over promising rookies

To quote “Fiddler on the Roof”; they can’t both be right.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So...UConn fans are gonna boycott Seattle despite Stewie still playing there and maybe Bird being on her last lap around the league? Really?
Well. I had the NY Liberty / Seattle Storm game on June 19th singled out as one of the few games I can make at Barclays. I imagine I will still go but I lost some excitement.

Maybe I will wear an E got screwed T-Shirt. :mad:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Some are looking at this as they kept Lavender or Gray instead of Westbrook, but to me it's more of Prince or January. I called that as soon as she was drafted. Cunane is the one who was hurt by them keeping Lavender/Gray.

Reaction Score
i was looking forward to rooting for seattle while phee is out in Minn. seattle has gabby bird stewie... and i thought evina. bummer.
and i read somewhere else that ONO will probably make opening night roster with LA but will be cut once some starters return

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I was having a good day until I read this. :(

Reaction Score
Having a league where any 1st round pick gets waived is crazy and embarrassing. I have tried over and over to watch the games but they are hard to watch anyways, so I can definitely see why the league is in the position it’s in.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I've noticed several posters reference lack of wcbb viewers tuning into the WNBA.

I'm a total UConn WBB fan. I'll even watch some games that does have UConn as one of the teams.

For me. When the kids leave college, it becomes totally about an "entertainment"" business". No longer kids, they're now adults, as far as I'm concerned. College graduates pursuing their career. If they didn't get a degree that greatly enhances their ability to generate a really good income. That's on them.

Occasionally I'll check out the ladies who have graduated by follow a link or watch a shot video clip. But watch the W or NBA? Not interested. Never will be.

Reaction Score
It's a bad situation. The salary cap for a team is about 1.39 M this year. The older veterans have nowhere to go. They are finally making some money with the salary increases but it's not like they can retire on what they earn. They try to stay around as long as they can and play in Europe also. Evina would have earned 50k this year with very modest increases the next 2 years. Like someone said for all these players, stay the extra year in college, get a Masters degree, if you do get cut you are better equipped for the marketplace. As for the WNBA, I don't know what the answer is, but it sure as hell isn't cutting young, vibrant players that fans know about from college and that can rejuvenate the league. I loved Evina as a Husky. Very upset with the team, the coach, the league and the stupidity of all those who are responsible for this poorly run fiasco they call the W.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom