Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember a person that was started at the 4 and had no size......Gabby, how did that turn out? She also moved to the 5 to make room for Pheesa to play the 4 spot.

You are seriously comparing a once in a generation athlete/jumper like Gabby Williams to Makurat? Come on, let's be a little realistic here!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
For those who cannot see Makurat at the four I wonder if you realize the following:

She is at least 6'1", probably taller (as EricLA mentioned)
She is built solid
From day one Auriemma praised Griffin's athleticism ... but he praised Makurat's strength
She has an advanced understanding of the fundamentals from pro ball, including boxing out

In other words, she is maybe an inch short of fitting the prototypical PF if it were not for two little details, last year she became the best passer on the team and she is a good (though streaky) shooter. I have no idea if that is how Auriemma will use her, but she is probably more physically suited for PF than any other player except Edwards. (Griffin could defend all five positions, but her athleticism would lend itself best towards becoming DPOY at the 3). On the other hand, speaking of Edwards, I am not one to bet against Canadians that make it on the National Team in high school and win DPOY awards. We have a good track record with that.

Reaction Score
I can’t see Westbrook going from point guard, to power forward. Williams at 5’11 is the better rebounder, and looks a little more physical then Westbrook. If UConn runs with a 4 guard line up, I expect Williams or Anna to play the 4 on defense, the good thing only teams like Baylor, and South Carolina should give the huskies fits since they both go with size at both the front court positions.
Also Westbrook has 3 double digit assist games in her college career and 2 games with at least 9, clearly setting up her teammates is one of the strongest parts of her game.

Westbrook doesn't need to be a better rebounder. She has more size and longer arms though to potentially keep balls away form the opposing PF. IMO Anna isn't athletic enough and CWill is just too small.

Further imo if Westbrook was the PF she wouldn't need to play at all on offense inside. So she would still be handling the ball on the perimeter and I think she'll have more opportunity for assists throwing to Olivia, Anna, CWill and Paige combo than throwing to either Edwards or Griff.

Reaction Score
There are posters on here who state in a matter of fact way who the starters will be. Why would they do that when Geno does not know who the starters will be? soxfan23, you say you can't just play a kid at the four who has never done so in her life. Using that logic, how can you start a player who has never played a minute of college ball in her life? I believe Makurat is going to be hard to keep out of the starting rotation. How can Westbrook be a lock until she has proven she is healthy and knows the UConn system?

To put things in perspective, Makurat averaged virtually the same number of rebounds per game playing the 3 as 5'7 Dangerfield did running the point! Westbrook averaged 15pts and 5ast as sophomore playing in arguably the best conference in the country, there is no way she just doesn't start! Her injury history is blown out of proportion on this board, her latest surgery was elective and she chose to have it only after being ruled ineligible last season. She has also had a year and a half learning the UConn system.

Reaction Score
For those who cannot see Makurat at the four I wonder if you realize the following:

She is at least 6'1", probably taller (as EricLA mentioned)
She is built solid
From day one Auriemma praised Griffin's athleticism ... but he praised Makurat's strength
She has an advanced understanding of the fundamentals from pro ball, including boxing out

In other words, she is maybe an inch short of fitting the prototypical PF if it were not for two little details, last year she became the best passer on the team and she is a good (though streaky) shooter. I have no idea if that is how Auriemma will use her, but she is probably more physically suited for PF than any other player except Edwards. (Griffin could defend all five positions, but her athleticism would lend itself best towards becoming DPOY at the 3). On the other hand, speaking of Edwards, I am not one to bet against Canadians that make it on the National Team in high school and win DPOY awards. We have a good track record with that.

She averaged less than 4 rebounds a game last year while playing the 3!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To put things in perspective, Makurat averaged virtually the same number of rebounds per game playing the 3 as 5'7 Dangerfield did running the point!

Yes, but in 9 fewer minutes per game. Prorated she'd average 1.5 more boards than Crystal Dangerfield.

To be clear, Makurat's not a 4, but she's actually a good rebounder for a guard/wing.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Chasing rebounds from the perimeter is different than fighting for rebounds in the post. If Auriemma wanted her to fight for rebounds in the post she has the physical tools for accomplishing that. Makurat would have trouble beating Dangerfield in chasing a rebound; Dangerfield would have trouble fighting Makurat for a rebound in the post. Last year Makurat would have had to mainly chase rebounds, not box out and fight for them.

Not making predictions about who will start or how they would be used, outside of pointing out that Makurat is the most physically suited for the four out Westbrook, Bueckers or Williams.

On edit: Once again, not predicting Makurat will be used this way, but imagine our transition offense if Makurat became responsible for defensive rebounding. You would have Dolson/Walton-esque outlet passes to Bueckers or Westbrook, who then would find one of many great athletes running the floor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree that other freshmen will play later in the year. Anna will not be starter.
All opinion here. I believe Anna will again be a starter. She made tremendous improvement throughout the season. She was in the drivers seat and I don't believe Geno will now make her sit in the back seat to a freshman. If it doesn't work out, he will make a change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not making predictions about who will start or how they would be used, outside of pointing out that Makurat is the most physically suited for the four out Westbrook, Bueckers or Williams.

On edit: Once again, not predicting Makurat will be used this way, but imagine our transition offense if Makurat became responsible for defensive rebounding. You would have Dolson/Walton-esque outlet passes to Bueckers or Westbrook, who then would find one of many great athletes running the floor.

Don't think she is athletically suited. Don't see her as 4. But if you're right would be terrific.

Secondly, Walton did over the head passes. He was 6'11. Anna can't do any of that.

Reaction Score
I would have to agree with you that her initial shot results were not “super”; however, her rebounding and passing showed the kind of skill and effort Geno was looking for. And Geno’s “0 for America“ comment and sitting her for a while and working in practice did hone her shot trajectory pretty well.

When her shooting numbers skyrocketed her overall performance got a lot better. I don’t believe her effort increased even one percent during that time. So I am uncomfortable with the term underperforming for her, or for Paige or Evina should another teammate be performing at a super, super level. This is a “glass half full -glass half empty” discussion. When talking about these players I prefer to see “glass half full and better/super” a lot more than “glass half empty and bad/under- performing. That’s my feeling; I hope you’re OK with it.
Anna really didn’t do a lot of sitting. For a while she technically wasn’t starting but she was getting the minutes.

Reaction Score
I disagree, I can’t see Anna losing her starting job, I think Griffin will be a starter at the begging of the year, but I expect Pagie to move into the starting spot similar to Lou and Gabby.
Paige
Westbrook
Williams
Anna
ONO Would be my starting five with Griffin, Edwards, and Mir the first 3 subs off the bench.
Anna makes this team her team. Her skills plus her bb iq puts her in charge on the floor. She doesn’t bring ball up court but once past midpoint she controls the game.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you are smoking or sniffing but she is a starter!

NOW you can be sure: I don't smoke. And I'm no sniffer. (Am not putting big bucks on this on either outcome, but time will tell who starts)

Reaction Score
Nobody knows. It's just great fun to speculate.

If Edwards is the real deal she would fit easily in a conventional manner. I'd like to see how quick she is as compared to Griffin and Mir. Also could be fine - very fine in pressng/trapping too.

If Griffin improves her shot- why can't UCONN have trapping halfcourt zone defenses? How many teams have 1.) good enough guards to handle the trap, 2.) not only handle it but get into an offense quick enough, 3.) while having TWO bigs that are very good in combination of passing and scoring (you just can't have one big that is good inside and the other good passing. You need at least one that is good at both while able to shoot pretty well at 15+ feet) to wipe you out inside 4.) while having good enough shooters to blast the zone? Keep in mind Griffin will get stronger.

I have no idea - none - what to expect from Mir. Same with Piath.

We lose our best scorer and best passer. We have 6 new players. The crazy thing is UCONN could be better. Could be "much" better too. Though to start the season I suspect Geno will tell all that he expects to finish worst than last place in the Big East this year. After the 1st week of practice he'll make quips like Evina and Paige are the worst passers he has ever seen,.

Just exciting to think what will evolve.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nobody knows. It's just great fun to speculate.

If Edwards is the real deal she would fit easily in a conventional manner. I'd like to see how quick she is as compared to Griffin and Mir. Also could be fine - very fine in pressng/trapping too.

If Griffin improves her shot- why can't UCONN have trapping halfcourt zone defenses? How many teams have 1.) good enough guards to handle the trap, 2.) not only handle it but get into an offense quick enough, 3.) while having TWO bigs that are very good in combination of passing and scoring (you just can't have one big that is good inside and the other good passing. You need at least one that is good at both while able to shoot pretty well at 15+ feet) to wipe you out inside 4.) while having good enough shooters to blast the zone? Keep in mind Griffin will get stronger.

I have no idea - none - what to expect from Mir. Same with Piath.

We lose our best scorer and best passer. We have 6 new players. The crazy thing is UCONN could be better. Could be "much" better too. Though to start the season I suspect Geno will tell all that he expects to finish worst than last place in the Big East this year. After the 1st week of practice he'll make quips like Evina and Paige are the worst passers he has ever seen,.

Just exciting to think what will evolve.

I think you will see UConn be a lot more aggressive on defense next year! They simply have not had the numbers or talent to do so over the past couple of years, but all that changes with this class.

Reaction Score
I think you will see UConn be a lot more aggressive on defense next year! They simply have not had the numbers or talent to do so over the past couple of years, but all that changes with this class.

Also- I think you're going to see much better offensive execution vs the elite teams next year. The three games vs the top 3 last year they had 36 assists vs 40 turnovers.

I fell in love with UCONN WCBB because of Auriemma not only winning ofc but because of the offense. They run such beautiful basketball offense. That's why imo they land so many of the number 1 recruits while competing against the P5 schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The second rebounder could be Aaliyah.

Does Evina start at the 1 or the 3/4? Maybe she and Anna are the 2nd rebounders.
I expect Aaliyah to substitute for Aubrey or maybe even Liv at times with Piath depending on the other team. Aubrey will have access to the best training imaginable this summer due to her Dad who has said publicly that we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg with her. Don't forget, she was a very young freshman. I think you are going to see a Meg like "bump" next year for her. As for Evina, she was the starting point guard on a forgettable Tennessee team as a sophomore and averaged 15 points and 5 assists with 3.6 rebounds per game. She is a point guard and a very good one and not a 3 or a 4. Geno liked Anna a lot as the secondary ball handler last year and I expect to see that again this year. BTW, she is probably going to have a "bump" this year too. She is an innate passer and when she had her confidence in her shot she was deadly and changed the team. She has to finish her drives more this year and develop an 8 foot pull up which even Meg didn't really have last year and hopefully she will become more athletic over the summer which will enable her to do so. I just think Geno will go with the strengths he has and have the new players meld into that. On the other hand, Paige could change everything. I just think there is too much pressure on her already. She will be playing against women 3 years older than her. As Geno said, the only one who ever was truly ready was Maya and we know how many Mayas there have been anywhere. Geno has said he can't wait to start coaching Paige and this new team and we can't wait to see them I dare say..

Reaction Score
Don't think she is athletically suited. Don't see her as 4. But if you're right would be terrific.

Secondly, Walton did over the head passes. He was 6'11. Anna can't do any of that.
As for two handed over the head outlet passes among current NBA players Kevin Love is very good but the best of all time way back was probably Wes Unseld.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I would think that it is very important to get Piath up to speed and have her playing meaningful minutes by the end of the season. Shes big and needs work however you dont find girls like her often and imo the sooner she is able to compete on the college level the farther UConn will go.

I think players with experience start next season so I would think if healthy and if up to speed, Ono CW Anna and Griff and Westbrook will start. Paige Edwards Mir and Nina will see alot of time. Those 4 are very talented and without any pressure they can play and learn the system. Are they ready to start. I dont think so not on UConn will all their talent. If some one gets hurt then Geno will start them.

It is very important to get these freshman experienced, confident and developed. Starting one of them means you live with their mistakes and they could be overwhelmed. Dont forget we are playing in the Big East which is a tuffer conference then the AAC.

Ono will be very dominate this season and much improved. Anna showed up how good she is becoming towards the end of last season. She has tremendous potential and great fundementals. CW will bounce back she has too much talent. Westbrook is really really good. It will take her some time to learn the UConn system and after sitting out a season it may take her some time to get back up to speed from where she was. She's gonna be really good on this team with the players surrounding her. Griff with a consistent outside shot is going to be special. Perhaps a 1st team AA and POY.

Piath is big strong and has great potential and wants to become a star. At UConn they will do everything they can to get her up to speed. Shes a difference maker underneath. Remember one thing this season....inch by inch its a sinch...yard by yard its very hard.

Reaction Score
I think we are Loaded with super talented players
this year.....WOW! It’ll be interesting to see which players learn Geno’s system quickly! Especially looking forward to see Evina play! I’m hoping that the season will start in November! Everything crossed! Miss basketball terribly.......Go UCONN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom