Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To be fair Westbrook played point guard at Tennessee, she did avg 27 points her senior year of high school to go along 8 assist, so there’s no telling what her numbers will be at UConn playing along side Paige, also Williams and Liv are a little inconsistent at times so Westbrook could be asked to score a lot. Still I think Howard at Kentucky will be the top scorer in the country next year.
In 2018-19, her last year at UTenn, she took more shots than anyone on her team and only shot 41%. Which would’ve made her the worst percentage shooter on this past year’s UConn team. She’s not an efficient scorer and I doubt she’ll get 400 shots with UConn. And obviously HS stats mean nothing at the college level.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In 2018-19, her last year at UTenn, she took more shots than anyone on her team and only shot 41%. Which would’ve made her the worst percentage shooter on this past year’s UConn team. She’s not an efficient scorer and I doubt she’ll get 400 shots with UConn. And obviously HS stats mean nothing at the college level.

Would not trust any stats under Holly either. She will have many more good shots in the scheme of a well run offense. Of course, it is predicated on how well she masters the system but nothing happening at TN should be held against her.

Reaction Score
How many of those were forced shots because there was no real offense and she had to try and make something happen when things broke down in a possession....I don't really pay much attention to Tenn stats for her. Plus it seems she was playing hurt.

Reaction Score
Westbrook isn’t close to being the best scorer in the country. There are well over a dozen scorers returning this year who average better than Westbrook’s 14.9 a game. And I only counted major programs. She’ll do well to be the best scorer on her own team.
She is 2 years older and better from that time, she put those numbers while playing on a dysfunctional team, an unimaginative coach, and in the best conference in the country. She is as good a scorer as ANYONE in the country, she will put up HUGE numbers this year!

Reaction Score
How many of those were forced shots because there was no real offense and she had to try and make something happen when things broke down in a possession....I don't really pay much attention to Tenn stats for her. Plus it seems she was playing hurt.
I wasn't speculating or making excuses for her. Just responding with facts to the guy who said she's arguably the best scorer in the country. We'll see what she does.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Westbrook is completely healthy, she will be a "full go" at the beginning of pre-season. There is ZERO chance that Westbrook, arguably the best scorer in the country, will not start.

De ja vu, almost exactly 1 year ago.

"Westbrook had left knee surgery June 4. The school says both players are expected to fully recover in the next four months."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is 2 years older and better from that time, she put those numbers while playing on a dysfunctional team, an unimaginative coach, and in the best conference in the country. She is as good a scorer as ANYONE in the country, she will put up HUGE numbers this year!

Would not trust any stats under Holly either. She will have many more good shots in the scheme of a well run offense. Of course, it is predicated on how well she masters the system but nothing happening at TN should be held against her.
It is probably time to look past the crappy coaching and the dysfunction and look more closely at the player.
Despite that crappy coaching and dysfunction Rennia Davis didn't seem to have a problem making shots for TN and having her best shooting season as a freshman. Wether she is playing 1,2, 3 in the UCONN offense Evina is going to have to shoot the ball better than she did in her two seasons at TN. A realistic target is about 47% FG and 38% on 3PT FGA. Realistically that's not huge numbers.

Reaction Score
I don't think many players are brought to Uconn to be high volume low efficiency scorers. With many other good scoring options, Geno can try to wean all players from 2pt shots in the low 40's percentage range. It is possible Westbrook has the ability to get that kind of a shot frequently, but that doesn't mean it will be encouraged.

She had a little better than average efficiency and significantly better volume if I remember right her last year at Tennessee. That is compared to average players. By Uconn starter standards her volume would probably be pretty good, but efficiency worse than they are used to. She might be the best go to option with the shot clock running out, but would have to increase efficiency in a major way to earn enough shots on a great team to be one of the nation's leading scorers. Uconn teams look for 50% two point shots and only settle for less than than that when they have too.

Evina will be a beneficiary of more good looks because of players like Anna, Paige and Nika, and I would like to see her in the game with one or two of those players, but that benefit will more relate to her 3pt shots than her ability to create one on one.

Reaction Score
It is probably time to look past the crappy coaching and the dysfunction and look more closely at the player.
Despite that crappy coaching and dysfunction Rennia Davis didn't seem to have a problem making shots for TN and having her best shooting season as a freshman. Wether she is playing 1,2, 3 in the UCONN offense Evina is going to have to shoot the ball better than she did in her two seasons at TN. A realistic target is about 47% FG and 38% on 3PT FGA. Realistically that's not huge numbers.
Westbrook and Davis' shooting stats are very similar Westbrook FG% 42%, 3PT% 38% vs Davis FG% 46%, 3PT% 37%.

I will bet you that Westbrook has a FG% over 50% and a 3pt% over 40% this year!

Reaction Score
Westbrook is completely healthy, she will be a "full go" at the beginning of pre-season. There is ZERO chance that Westbrook, arguably the best scorer in the country, will not start.
Best scorer in the country? whatca smokin’?

Reaction Score

If you watched Tenn in 18/19 you would have seen a pretty inept offense. It's difficult to rate Westbrook's shooting at Tenn since she was the shooter of last resort and Tenn often was in the position of the shot clock being down to 3.
UConn now has what may be the best passer in wcbb. That tells me that her team mates will be getting the ball in the right spot and at the right moment and that translates into more efficient scoring. I thought that Walker's problem early in the year was that along with the rest of the team she was forced to create her own shots. Late in the season that changed back to the more familiar "find the best shot" with passing and movement and UConn's offense started to again look like UConn.

Reaction Score
Best scorer in the country? whatca smokin’?

She averaged 15ppg two years ago as a sophomore, while playing in the toughest conference in the country, a brain dead coach, and on a dysfunctional team! She is 2 years more developed from that time(despite missing time to injury), she is now playing for the GOAT Auriemma and in a system that lost its best scorer, she will be among the best scorers in the country this year!

Reaction Score
She averaged 15ppg two years ago as a sophomore, while playing in the toughest conference in the country, a brain dead coach, and on a dysfunctional team! She is 2 years more developed from that time(despite missing time to injury), she is now playing for the GOAT Auriemma and in a system that lost its best scorer, she will be among the best scorers in the country this year!

yeah she will be close, watched her a lot at Tennessee and I agree with Geno when he said she’s aggressive. That led to some bad shots but totally different system, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if she shot those percentages. I think people are underestimating her and CW

Reaction Score
Westbrook and Davis' shooting stats are very similar Westbrook FG% 42%, 3PT% 38% vs Davis FG% 46%, 3PT% 37%.

I will bet you that Westbrook has a FG% over 50% and a 3pt% over 40% this year!
Watching her latest workout drill above it is obvious that her trainer is trying to build her knee back up. We have been assuming that she will be able to play with no real residuals from her surgeries and no real rust from the year off. She still has about 3.5 months to get there. Assuming she is ready, and averages 3 FTs a game which is surprisingly all that Meg averaged last year, and shoots about six 3 point shots a game which is what Meg did and about ten 2 point shots ( what Meg did also) she gets 16 shots a game. She gets 7.5 points a game on average off of 3 pointers at 40%, and 10 points off of regular field goals at 50% for about 18 points before free throws for which she will make at least 2. That gives her 20 points a game or so same as Meg. Meg shot 47% from the field but 45% from the 3 point line. Meg had to score last year because we had to make up the points we lost from Pheesa and KLS and Geno gave her a permanent green light. This is a different team and I don't think that number of shots is likely game in and game out. The percentages are a different matter however. I don't see a problem with her shooting 40% from 3s but an overall FG% of 50% from a guard is a very difficult accomplishment. There is a way that happens however. Evina will be a beneficiary of the transition passing by both Anna and Paige and if we play the same defense to begin the season that we played to end last season which I believe is a given, especially with Jamelle back, that 50% number may not be as unrealistic as it sounds for her because there will be several steals, outlet passes and layups. This has been my very long winded way of saying that I won't take that bet.

Reaction Score
No disagreement that she is capable of huge numbers but fortunately with all the talent on this team will not have to. Westbrook moves well around the court and just as Anna did last year, will open things up for other players. Predict she will have huge scoring games but will be equally important facilitating the team offense.

Reaction Score
One other comment I haven't seen specifically mentioned. With virus related issues, there has been no summer trip to Europe and the frosh will be at a disadvantage due to lack of practice time. Westbrook was at practice all last year and likely is in full sync with Geno's and the team's offensive and defensive strategies. Would be surprised if Westbrook didn't begin the season as starter. The debate then becomes in what role (i.e. point or shooting guard?) and then how that affects others like Paige, CW, etc. Love having this conversation since means we have significantly more talent than at this time last year.

Reaction Score
One other comment I haven't seen specifically mentioned. With virus related issues, there has been no summer trip to Europe and the frosh will be at a disadvantage due to lack of practice time. Westbrook was at practice all last year and likely is in full sync with Geno's and the team's offensive and defensive strategies. Would be surprised if Westbrook didn't begin the season as starter. The debate then becomes in what role (i.e. point or shooting guard?) and then how that affects others like Paige, CW, etc. Love having this conversation since means we have significantly more talent than at this time last year.
Actually, I would be shocked if Evina didn't start unless there is a physical issue. She can play either guard position on offense and so can Anna. Which guard position also depends on what set Geno runs at a given time. If it is the classic UCONN 1-4 with the four players across the foul line and foul line extended I would expect to see Evina on the wing. My starting team at first is Anna, Evina, Aubrey, CW and ONO with Paige coming in first for one of the three guards and Edwards coming in first underneath for Aubrey or ONO but I expect to see ONO on the court a lot( barring foul trouble) because of what she does underneath against drives on defense and also because of scoring. Lobo said constantly last year that ONO needed moves underneath from both shoulders meaning the ability to finish strong on the left side of the basket as well. Also, because we didn't see Evina play last year, I don't think we have fairly evaluated her leadership capabilities. I think she is a very tough and determined young woman who has gone through a lot to play here and she is both experienced, talented, and as you point out, knowledgeable of the offensive and defensive systems. Averaging 20 ppg? Unlikely in the Geno system with all the talent as you noted. Leading scorer? More likely and if she is it will be one hell of a season.

Reaction Score
Westbrook looks pretty healthy to me, she’s moving well and her jump shot looks good. Here she is working out with Brink (Stanford), Brink has a lot of potential its to bad she didn’t pick UConn, I think she could have been a starter for the next four years here.

Reaction Score
Westbrook looks pretty healthy to me, she’s moving well and her jump shot looks good. Here she is working out with Brink (Stanford), Brink has a lot of potential its to bad she didn’t pick UConn, I think she could have been a starter for the next four years here.

Evina has a very quick release on her outside shot with good range which is great to see. She also threw some perfect passes. It didn't show any 8-12 foot range pull ups in the 3 on 3 game but it looks like she can shoot the same shot from the outside from closer range as well. It's not a pure jumper in the sense that the ball is released at the top of her jump (like CW does from shorter range) as opposed to on the way up but that's not to say from this clip that she doesn't have it. If she can get that same shot off in traffic in close she won't need it.Thanks for posting this.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Evina is moving well. :)

I, too, would have liked Brink at UConn. She's lanky like Stewie, but with shorter arms. She could be really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom