Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread | The Boneyard

Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Per IG...
D106C22F-1DA1-4455-9534-DD03D88F0828.jpeg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This removes any "speculation" about her status and health going into the season. For the sake of discussion, we can now assume she is 100% healthy. Now, all we have to figure out is how she fits into the equation, and who the 5 starters will be (It's THAT time of the year :D). We will also assume that the 3 returning starters (ONO, Williams & Makurat) will be starters again THIS year.

Some think she's a starter for sure, others think she comes off the bench. I think it's too early to tell at this point. November is 5 months away. There are several leading candidates for the two openings: Evina Westbrook, Aubrey Griffin, Paige Bueckers, Aaliyah Edwards and Nika Muhl. I believe the two new starters will come from this group. Query: What if Geno decides to run a 3 guard offense? :eek:

Anyone of these players can muscle their way into the starting lineup. I can't see Aubrey Griffin coming off the bench again this year. She paid her dues. There are some here that want to keep her as 6th man. I say start her, and develop a new 6th man. She's too valuable to come off the bench. Edwards, because of her experience with the Canadian National Team, is the only newbie coming in that has experience at a higher level of play than Griffin, and the only newcomer that (IMO) has any chance of moving ahead of her on the depth chart.

Edwards (and the others) still have to gain Geno's trust and have a clue of the system before he puts then in a game for long periods of "meaningful" minutes. When Geno looks down the bench this year for a sub, he'll have lots of options that he didn't have the last two years. Geno will put the freshmen on the floor at the appropriate time in situations they can handle and have success in.

1589998096741.png

This is a new year. Expect Griffin to make the anticipated sophomore leap. She should know what's she's doing now. She's a year older, stronger and more mature. She's a play maker!! I look for her to be more aggressive on offense, and not defer to others as much as she did last year. THAT ship has sailed. I also look for Geno to give her a little more leeway this year.........perhaps a lot more leeway.

"Before the season, Auriemma said neither he nor Griffin knew how good she could be. Thirty-two games into her collegiate career, that sentiment still holds true. While she showed flashes of greatness with performances such as the 25 point, 12 rebound game vs Seton Hall, or the 16-point, 15-rebound night in the AAC Tournament, those games barely scratched the surface of her potential.

Most of Griffin’s points either came off offensive rebounds or from the free throw line — which isn’t a knock on her. Instead, it just shows how dangerous of a player she already is without much of a refined offensive game. If Griffin can smooth out the edges and have more moments where she’s aggressive and unstoppable going to the rim instead of the deer-in-headlights moments, the sky is the limit for the rising sophomore."

She can still do things no one else on the team can do. The freshman mistakes she made last year, won't be made THIS year. In short, if there's somebody on the team that has "earned" to start over her (smh), UConn is going to have one hell-of-a-team this season. I don't know who the 5th starter will be (I like Westbrook for lots of reasons), but I'm betting Aubrey will be #4.

Note - No guarantees here, but the 6th man has a fairly consistent track record of starting for Geno the next year. We'll see. :cool:

Geno said that NONE OF US here in the yard have a clue, so that means that this comment and all of the other comments posted here and $5.00, will get you a cup of coffee at Starbuck's. :confused: There are only so many combinations he can put out there. Some of us have got to be right with our choices. :)

One thing I do know.......... I'm going to root and cheer hard for whoever he puts out there.......................ALL SEASON LONG!! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I expect Evina to start from day 1. She’ll have had a year of practice with the team and, I would guess, will be much more of a “under control” player than she was with the Vols. I think she’ll be a difference maker. Of course we all know that starting or not starting, isn’t always critical under Geno. I remember the year Doty started most games and played less than most of the starters.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This removes any "speculation" about her status and health going into the season. We can assume she is 100% healthy. Now, all we have to figure out is how she fits into the equation this year. For the sake of argument, can we assume that the 3 returning starters will be starters again THIS year?

Some think she's a starter for sure, others think she comes off the bench. I think it's too early to tell at this point. There are several leading candidates for the two openings: Evina Westbrook, Aubrey Griffin, Paige Bueckers, Aaliyah Edwards and Nika Muhl. The cream ALWAYS rises to the top. Geno may not have to choose. The players may make the choice for him. If two of them stand out in practice like a 6 footer at a "little people's" convention, the decision will be easy. :cool:

Anyone of these players can muscle their way into the starting lineup. I can't see Aubrey Griffin coming off the bench this year.
You make some excellent points. NO ONE knows for sure, and Geno was quoted as saying he has no idea who will start. He hasn't seen any of the freshmen in person on campus and those decisions won't be made until November probably.

My $.02... I think Evina and Paige are starters #4 and 5. Paige because she's a natural PG, has the moxie and temperament to lead the team as a freshman, and will likely be the best PG on the team from day 1.

Evina because she may be the best player on the team (will be close between her and Chrystyn IMHO).

I don't disagree that Aubrey will get lots of minutes. IF she has worked on her mid-range game and passing from the top of the key, I could see her vying for a starting role, but I don't think she's quite there yet.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In my opinion, Westbrook has a more complete offensive game than Walker had and she is going to get better. She is a very good finisher. Her erratic play at UT can be attributed to the coaching she got and the under developed talent she played with, at least some of it. I agree if Griffin starts it means she has improved a great deal and if so, look out! She will have beaten out some very good, young, talent.

Reaction Score
You make some excellent points. NO ONE knows for sure, and Geno was quoted as saying he has no idea who will start. He hasn't seen any of the freshmen in person on campus and those decisions won't be made until November probably.

My $.02... I think Evina and Paige are starters #4 and 5. Paige because she's a natural PG, has the moxie and temperament to lead the team as a freshman, and will likely be the best PG on the team from day 1.

Evina because she may be the best player on the team (will be close between her and Chrystyn IMHO).

I don't disagree that Aubrey will get lots of minutes. IF she has worked on her mid-range game and passing from the top of the key, I could see her vying for a starting role, but I don't think she's quite there yet.
Have to ditto Eric's comments and add that if Griffin starts, it means either Paige or Evina are underperforming. One of Griffin's key strengths was the energy she brought to the team. Offense is unproven. Players with these skills typically come off the bench - expectations are that Paige and/or Evina are more well rounded.

Reaction Score
Have to ditto Eric's comments and add that if Griffin starts, it means either Paige or Evina are underperforming. One of Griffin's key strengths was the energy she brought to the team. Offense is unproven. Players with these skills typically come off the bench - expectations are that Paige and/or Evina are more well rounded.
How about Aubrey starts because she has become super, super fantastic and is slightly better than super fantastic Paige and Evina? Time to stop the negativity. By definition, UConn Husky Women do not underperform. Some of them may get “outperformed” by others, but that is a positive, not a negative.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Again........................IF Griffin is forced to come off the bench, that means the 5 starters ahead of her are going to be AWESOME..........and playing some serious ball. I'm from Missouri, I've got to see 2 other players performing better than her. We know what she can do. Remember, We'll never see the freshman Griffin we saw last year again. I expect to see a moderate but impressive sophomore leap. If she doesn't start, she'll be the 6th man again this year. Whether she starts or comes off the bench, she will get lots of minutes!!

If my perception is wrong, I'm OK with 5 others starting that are playing better. I’m also OK with others that have a different perspective than I do. That just means our team is going to be very formidable this year. THAT is the bottom line, it's what we all want!!! Ask no quarter, give none. Come as close to Nolan Richardson's (Arkansas) "40 minutes of hell" as possible in every game. I think Geno has the personnel THIS year to pull that off. UConn fans can't wait for them to be bad for WCBB again!! For what it's worth, I expect Westbrook (the elder statesman on the team) to be that 5th starter. :rolleyes: Lot's of things can happen between now and November. Geno might decide to go with a 3 guard offense. I just hope this team lives up to their preseason hype.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the starters are up in the air. I would say the only completely sure thing is Liv at center. It may not be the 5 best players as starters, but rather a combination of players with synergy, both starters and the bench.

Evina doesn't have a clear starting job anywhere, but arguably is in serious competition at three spots. We have three that could play point guard. Nika is a natural PG, Paige is too, and more highly regarded, but could also get minutes some of the time at SG. Her and Nika in the game at the same time might be fun. Evina could be a good PG but I consider her best position as SG. I guess I am rooting for Paige to prove she is too good to come off the bench

At SG, putting CW on the bench wouldn't be easy, but she had a disappointing second year and Evina has at least a chance to do that since it is her best position.

At SF Evina might project as a better player overall than Anna, and maybe this is her best bet, but it would be playing small ball a little, and Anna appears to be a pretty good fit there.

Regardless if Evina doesn't start, because she is a legitimate candidate at three positions she will get minutes, either as a starter or covering multiple positions off the bench.

Up front I think it could be close to 50/50 who starts at PF, AG or AE, but regardless when Liv is sitting I think Edwards needs to slide over for short term minutes at C unless PG surprises and is ready. In essence a three person rotation using two PF's and one C for the minutes at those positions.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Putting it on a Frosh doesn’t always work, but if Bueckers is what her reputation is, she needs to start because of her ball handling and plsymaking skills. The team will need scoring, too and Westbrook seems the one. But it looks like GA has a lot of options, especially if the new players including Westbrook are able to contribute sooner than later and he is willing to use a deep line up.

Reaction Score
If 3 are 6' (or more) and the 4th is as strong as a bull and all can pass, penetrate and shoot the 3, I am good. :D

It's possible. It would be hard to keep those 4 guards out of the starting lineup. Paige and Evina are talented enough to start and there is no reason to think Christyn or Anna will lose spots. Other candidates are Aubrey or Aaliyah down low next to ONO.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I know I've said this before, but I just don't see Paige starting from day one, and that for two reasons: Strength and conditioning. Also her dietary habits leave much to be desired. She's still a twig and she continues to profess that running is not her favorite exercise. Yes, she's a natural at the 1, yes she has the temperament. All of that may get her up to the first option off the bench, but she has much to learn about off court preparation. As I've also said before, January and February may be her turning point with Geno, but she's going to go through a gauntlet, and at times she is going to be in his doghouse.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Posts derail but c’mon, people. There is a current and active thread about next year’s starting lineup already.

Let’s try this again...

CONGRATULATIONS EVINA FOR FINISHING REHAB! IT HAS BEEN A LONG YEAR HAVING TWO KNEE SURGERIES AND WE’RE ALL EXCITED THAT YOU’RE FINALLY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF IT!

Reaction Score
Count me as one who was fairly impressed by Westbrook at UT. It was clear she has talent and she improved her outside shooting between year one and two. She didn’t look like a “natural” PG to me but again showed improvement between years one and two.

Hopefully this year allowed her to get healthy and she will be at her best this upcoming season.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Again........................IF Griffin is forced to come off the bench, that means the 5 starters ahead of her are going to be AWESOME..........and playing some serious ball. I'm from Missouri, I've got to see 2 other players performing better than her. We know what she can do. Remember, We'll never see the freshman Griffin we saw last year again. I expect to see a moderate but impressive sophomore leap. If she doesn't start, she'll be the 6th man again this year. Whether she starts or comes off the bench, she will get lots of minutes!!

If my perception is wrong, I'm OK with 5 others starting that are playing better. That just means our team is going to be very formidable this year. THAT is the bottom line, it's what we all want!!! Ask no quarter, give none. Come as close to Nolan Richardson's (Arkansas) "40 minutes of hell" as possible in every game. I think Geno has the personnel THIS year to pull that off. UConn fans can't wait for them to be bad for WCBB again!! For what it's worth, I expect Westbrook to be that 5th starter. :rolleyes: Lot's of things can happen between now and November. I just hope this team lives up to their preseason hype.
You should probably add a word to your last sentence. You hope this team lives up to the BONEYARD preseason hype. However, if Westbrook is fully healed, expect the team to be very good. She may even add some leadership to the team.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
This removes any "speculation" about her status and health going into the season. We can assume she is 100% healthy. Now, all we have to figure out is how she fits into the equation this year. For the sake of argument, can we assume that the 3 returning starters will be starters again THIS year?

Some think she's a starter for sure, others think she comes off the bench. I think it's too early to tell at this point. There are several leading candidates for the two openings: Evina Westbrook, Aubrey Griffin, Paige Bueckers, Aaliyah Edwards and Nika Muhl. The cream ALWAYS rises to the top. Geno may not have to choose. The players may make the choice for him. If two of them stand out in practice like a 6 footer at a "little people's" convention, the decision will be easy. :cool:

Anyone of these players can muscle their way into the starting lineup. I can't see Aubrey Griffin coming off the bench this year.

View attachment 54533

This is a new year. Expect her to make a HUGE sophomore leap. She should know what's she's doing now. She's a year older, stronger and more mature. She's a play maker!! "Before the season, Auriemma said neither he nor Griffin knew she could be. Thirty-two games into her collegiate career, that sentiment still holds true. While she showed flashes of greatness with performances such as the 16-point, 15-rebound night in the AAC Tournament, those games barely scratched the surface of her potential.

Most of Griffin’s points either came off offensive rebounds or from the free throw line — which isn’t a knock on her. Instead, it just shows how dangerous of a player she already is without much of a refined offensive game. If Griffin can smooth out the edges and have more moments where she’s aggressive and unstoppable going to the rim instead of the deer-in-headlights moments, the sky is the limit for the rising sophomore."

She can still do things no one else on the team can do. The freshman mistakes she made last year, won't be made THIS year. In short, if there's somebody on the team that deserves to start over her, UConn is going to have one hell-of-a-team this season. I don't know who the 5th starter will be, but I'm betting she'll be #4. :cool:
Having the ability to consistently hit mid-range jumpers would only make Aubrey Griffin a more dangerous offensive threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom