Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For one, she is taller, has played a professional type European transition passing game for years, and has a great sense of the play developing. She is a natural passer with the ball. I am not saying Crystal wasn't but this year the emphasis was placed on CD to score because we needed it and she did her job as instructed. Do you think anyone on this team could have, would have, made the highlight reel jump behind the back pass to CW except for Anna? Secondly, if she plays the 4, what inside moves did you see her make this year on offense that would be forthcoming next year? How about none. She rarely finished, frequently turned sideways on the court away from the basket when she had a clear path to the basket, didn't finish strong and does not have a pull up or quick first step. She also is nowhere near the defender that Griff is. You are arguing for a 4 perimeter player offense because Anna cannot, I repeat cannot, be a typical 4 on the low block. Clearly, you are giving up rebounding as well .So let's go back again. My team was EW,AM, CW,AG, and Liv with Paige starting for Anna( unless EW was not physically ready) if Paige was ready and Anna being the first off the bench replacing the 1, 2, or 3 position, not the 4. Edwards would replace Griff at the 4 with Piath obviously replacing Liv and Nika filling in at the 1 or 2 and the team pressing in the same manner as the end of last season. Obviously I think very highly of EW and Griff( I was at the Seton Hall game this year and the talent was unmistakeable) as players but I fail to see the logic in giving up a position closer to the basket on both offense and defense. How often did Anna guard under the basket this year? Rare if ever. She would have to learn technique as well. She can shoot from the perimeter and make plays and would be wasted at the 4. Meg was not a 4 but was athletic enough to play the position and guard it but even she had her deficiencies there which we discussed in length before and she was there because there was no other choice.

*****I love your starting 5 as an option (just as I like a lot of others different 5) if Evina is the pg you say and Griff can be pretty good putting the ball in the basket. I'm with ya. :)
I guess the biggest disagreements I have with your posts are some of the reasons you give to back up your points.

1--- For all our back-and-forths and your comments about "size and power" being so important - now you’re telling me that Anna - a freshman - a non-al-American- was the best playmaker on the team and yet you could barely even blame the backcourt for the losses?????? She is the best playmaker according to you on the team last year but this year if Paige is ready you are going to put Anna on the bench? Yet you don't blame last year's backcourt much at all for not being strong in terms of offense and defense? You realize that nearly all the title teams had an A/A caliber guard whether it be pg or sg yet that doesn't matter to you? By the way, I wasn't arguing with you about Anna being the best playmaker I wanted to know if you believed it. And I just want to reiterate in our back-and-forths and even now I'm skeptical she can be a PF (unless ofc we play a team that uses their pf on the wing too.).

2--- Again I don't understand some of your comments in terms of relevance. You did the same thing with Walker. How can you ask the question about Anna's inside game at the PF spot? How can you not understand that when someone is saying put someone like Anna or Evina etc at the PF that it should be understood that you aren't getting any inside game from them? If you do understand then why are you asking the question? You know whoever has her as the PF is telling us that they expect to try to win the game on the perimeter with 4 and one center down low, right?

3--- A minor point-- not arguing that Anna wasn't a playmaker but you're using one example of a pass to justify that? I saw it. Yes she was a playmaker. I wasn't arguing that she wasn't. But I'm not implying as you seem to be that UCONN can't afford to lose her on the wing if Paige and Evina are set.
---------------------------------------
*****I would just like to ask again - what is the relevance of highlighting that Anna was the best playmaker last year if we have Paige and Evina for this year? If you have these two- why is it big deal on offense to lose her when you would have Paige and Evina and CWill? Isn't this a tremendous transition group?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
*****I love your starting 5 as an option (just as I like a lot of others different 5) if Evina is the pg you say and Griff can be pretty good putting the ball in the basket. I'm with ya. :)
I guess the biggest disagreements I have with your posts are some of the reasons you give to back up your points.

1--- For all our back-and-forths and your comments about "size and power" being so important - now you’re telling me that Anna - a freshman - a non-al-American- was the best playmaker on the team and yet you could barely even blame the backcourt for the losses?????? She is the best playmaker according to you on the team last year but this year if Paige is ready you are going to put Anna on the bench? Yet you don't blame last year's backcourt much at all for not being strong in terms of offense and defense? You realize that nearly all the title teams had an A/A caliber guard whether it be pg or sg yet that doesn't matter to you? By the way, I wasn't arguing with you about Anna being the best playmaker I wanted to know if you believed it. And I just want to reiterate in our back-and-forths and even now I'm skeptical she can be a PF (unless ofc we play a team that uses their pf on the wing too.).

2--- Again I don't understand some of your comments in terms of relevance. You did the same thing with Walker. How can you ask the question about Anna's inside game at the PF spot? How can you not understand that when someone is saying put someone like Anna or Evina etc at the PF that it should be understood that you aren't getting any inside game from them? If you do understand then why are you asking the question? You know whoever has her as the PF is telling us that they expect to try to win the game on the perimeter with 4 and one center down low, right?

3--- A minor point-- not arguing that Anna wasn't a playmaker but you're using one example of a pass to justify that? I saw it. Yes she was a playmaker. I wasn't arguing that she wasn't. But I'm not implying as you seem to be that UCONN can't afford to lose her on the wing if Paige and Evina are set.
---------------------------------------
*****I would just like to ask again - what is the relevance of highlighting that Anna was the best playmaker last year if we have Paige and Evina for this year? If you have these two- why is it big deal on offense to lose her when you would have Paige and Evina and CWill? Isn't this a tremendous transition group?
So let me answer your question again. I think Anna proved she belonged in a big way once she started starting again. She got her confidence and got over her "0 for America" and you saw the beginnings of a very talented player. What were her strengths? Defense? No. Inside play? No. Rebounding? No. Drives? No. Post ups? No. So clearly she can't be the 4 on this team not when you would then put your best defender and garbage player in Griff on the bench. Since Anna is proven as a playmaker for this team, in this offense, with this defense, why take her out of her natural position when you don't have to? You just don't. Anna is a special player with the ball and the point of the highlight reel play was to show that she is special. Leaving a talent like that untapped in the 4 position is just poor coaching and is not going to happen next year just like it didn't happen this year. Evina is a scorer too and don't think she won't benefit immensely from Anna on the floor. In short, you never have enough playmakers, especially not when your 2 other playmakers in EW and Paige can score as well. Did you watch Evina on the bench last year? See her expressions? This young woman is hungry to prove who she is on the court. She has gone through a lot. The eligibility problem, the surgeries, the rehab. Plus she was a great high school player stuck in a bad college situation. Listen, I agree with you about the guard play and the historical importance. I just viewed those games from a different perspective as to size and power and the failure of Meg to show up which I though was more due to size than anything else. So here is my answer to #1- You can put Anna on the bench if you have to because of Paige because she can handle it emotionally and would be a devasting weapon this year as 6th man. Instant offense. #2- My point is I don't think a 4 player perimeter team can go all the way. You are just creating a glaring weakness for the bigger talented teams. If Liv gets into foul trouble you are almost done without a true 4. #3- You can't afford to lose Anna on the wing because she will be that good this year but she can be in that role off the bench if necessary. Now, as to the losses. It was the backcourt in part, it was the front court mostly but it also was coaching in this respect. Geno realized after the losses he had to change the team and he couldn't do it by offense so he did it by defense. If we were in that same full court trap/pressure mode all season, well who knows? Unlike most BYers, I think the second Oregon game, which seemed likely, would have been a nail biter. And, you heard it here first. Anna will be an AA caliber guard before she leaves Storrs.

Reaction Score
So I don't necessarily think your conclusions about Anna's abilities are final. Geno says all the time that particularly with freshman he tells them to do what they are really good at in games and then practice other aspects of the game. I think Anna has inside skills that we haven't seen yet in games and I think Aubrey has midrange and outside shots we haven't seen yet in games.. .. I'm interested in seeing where their games expand in their sophomore campaigns.

Reaction Score
Your concerns and Coco's are completely warranted and you are exactly right. Having to play small was not without its own consequences. One other factor in general that can counteract a deficiency like size is depth. Even if there is that weakness at the 4/5, the fact that there are players who can spell each other and rotate one position over can be enough to prevent fatigue and fouls on the starter. Also, the offense changes if the defense does. I expect to see constant pressure defense with rotating substitutions next year and if it is effective enough, the deficiency at 4/5 may be minimized. I still am expecting Griff to play a lot of 4 and to come back stronger and much improved offensively for the season. If Geno decides to continue last season's late defensive emphasis and change, Griff is the logical choice.
I expect Griff to play mostly at the 4. Regardless of what anyone thinks regarding her size, her stats scream PF. Per minute etc. she would be very good for rebounds and blocks even for a center, and great for a PF. On the other hand while her size might suggest a 3/4, her ball handling numbers, FT and 3 pt shooting does not support the SF argument at all. If you had never seen her play and didn't know her size, and just looked at her stats you would conclude she must be a big.

Ideally I would like to see the bigger Edwards get the start at PF, but with Griff getting about as many minutes there, then Edwards getting some minutes as a backup center, and Griff some but not much at SF when defense is more needed there.

Reaction Score
So I don't necessarily think your conclusions about Anna's abilities are final. Geno says all the time that particularly with freshman he tells them to do what they are really good at in games and then practice other aspects of the game. I think Anna has inside skills that we haven't seen yet in games and I think Aubrey has midrange and outside shots we haven't seen yet in games.. .. I'm interested in seeing where their games expand in their sophomore campaigns.
I agree. They are definitely not close to final. In addition to improving the other aspects of their games, they will also assuredly improve their current strengths. The other things for Anna to me are her physical strength, quickness, drives all the way and a short pull up (6-8 feet) and solid 10-15 foot shot off the dribble. For Aubrey, as you point out it's the mid range game and 3 ball but she also needs a baby jumper as a put back under the boards and a stronger finish with right arm extended above her head on the drive. She also needs to head and ball fake from close range. I am sure her father and brothers will be working hard with her this summer. I really expect a "who is this kid?" reaction by many of us this coming season and I can't wait to see Anna also or for that matter the entire team. It's very exciting as a fan to think about.

Reaction Score
Paige will be the starter at point.
Anna, Chrystyn and ONO will be the starters at 2/3/5. They were the starters last year and it is there jobs to lose. Nika will get a lot of minutes behind Paige and alongside (ipo Anna, Evina) Paige.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a four guard lineup.
I have to see how Aubrey progressed over the summer but I do see her splitting time with Edwards whenever Geno extra play underneath.
Evina may get the start but I think she will get short minutes because of her knee at least until conference play.

By January Paige will have made it her team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the season starts on time and all players can come back, it will probably like last season take about 10 games or so to really flesh out what the starting line up will be...not saying that I just came up with anything profound..lol

Reaction Score
So let me answer your question again. I think Anna proved she belonged in a big way once she started starting again. She got her confidence and got over her "0 for America" and you saw the beginnings of a very talented player. What were her strengths? Defense? No. Inside play? No. Rebounding? No. Drives? No. Post ups? No. So clearly she can't be the 4 on this team not when you would then put your best defender and garbage player in Griff on the bench. Since Anna is proven as a playmaker for this team, in this offense, with this defense, why take her out of her natural position when you don't have to? You just don't. Anna is a special player with the ball and the point of the highlight reel play was to show that she is special. Leaving a talent like that untapped in the 4 position is just poor coaching and is not going to happen next year just like it didn't happen this year. Evina is a scorer too and don't think she won't benefit immensely from Anna on the floor. In short, you never have enough playmakers, especially not when your 2 other playmakers in EW and Paige can score as well. Did you watch Evina on the bench last year? See her expressions? This young woman is hungry to prove who she is on the court. She has gone through a lot. The eligibility problem, the surgeries, the rehab. Plus she was a great high school player stuck in a bad college situation. Listen, I agree with you about the guard play and the historical importance. I just viewed those games from a different perspective as to size and power and the failure of Meg to show up which I though was more due to size than anything else. So here is my answer to #1- You can put Anna on the bench if you have to because of Paige because she can handle it emotionally and would be a devasting weapon this year as 6th man. Instant offense. #2- My point is I don't think a 4 player perimeter team can go all the way. You are just creating a glaring weakness for the bigger talented teams. If Liv gets into foul trouble you are almost done without a true 4. #3- You can't afford to lose Anna on the wing because she will be that good this year but she can be in that role off the bench if necessary. Now, as to the losses. It was the backcourt in part, it was the front court mostly but it also was coaching in this respect. Geno realized after the losses he had to change the team and he couldn't do it by offense so he did it by defense. If we were in that same full court trap/pressure mode all season, well who knows? Unlike most BYers, I think the second Oregon game, which seemed likely, would have been a nail biter. And, you heard it here first. Anna will be an AA caliber guard before she leaves Storrs.

Well again there is very little I agree with you on. But that’s why we wait and watch the games play out. What makes this fun is that I think there are many options. Yours included. Cannot "argue" with EW, CW, AM, AG and Liv. :)

1--- I just wanted you to understand that people that have Anna as the PF don't agree with your assessment that you can't win vs having someone like Griff. Your posts just seem "incredulous" when you hear it.

2--- You say "You never could have enough playmakers" and you are expecting a huge year from Anna - but then you are okay with putting her on the bench ("if necessary" as you say.). I don't understand how your statement has any meaning of "cannot ever have enough playmakers" then you are okay with having her on the bench. It's a contradiction.

3-- Further, with your projections of this past year's team- a team that was historically speaking weaker than many, many other UCONN teams of the past - you do suggest they were right there to beat Oregon in their home area. And Griff wasn’t even a starter. So how is it that small ball wasn't working?

4-- I have a complete opposite perspective than you. In his last two years he again showed small ball could win even though the team had less talent. He didn't make the mistakes you suggest. He got a team by your very words had to rely (on a non-honorable mention all-American) a young Anna as its top playmaker and a team very young and small - and yet UCONN still "had a chance." There are no mistakes or big "realizations" here from Geno.

It's called being a great coach. It's why he gets number 1 recruits KLS, Walker, Cwill, Paige and in the hunt for Fudd.

5------- How many teams of the past UCONN championships had just one all-American? And those teams that had one - didn't they have a top 2 unreal tremendous POY candidate? Now where would we put Walker as a comparison vs other 1st team A/A's? Auriemma did an amazing job for what he had-- and he did it by playing small. OFC we would prefer he wouldn’t have to. He took the team as far as one could reasonably expect. :)

Reaction Score
Not sure I want to enter this debate since if we have Anna or Griff as a "4," likely there are issues. That being said, a few thoughts:
-Anna is strong enough to play the 4 against many but not all teams. She would be quicker and a better shooter than most of her competition. Against pure power players she would suffer but so would Griff who is quick but not strong. Anna boxes out well; Griff can sky - rate this as a wash-hoping a true 4 emerges.
-Similarly, we saw a great shooter in Walker having to play the power forward position this past year. I felt it clogged things up. Anna emerged as one of the best 3 point shooters and fast break players on team - would be a sin to force her down low.
-Anna is not a playmaker in the Crystal mode. She cuts well and opens the floor up for others. Not a point guard. While nice she has the skills to play almost anywhere, we should have enough players for her to play her natural positions - shooting guard or small forward.

Reaction Score
Well again there is very little I agree with you on. But that’s why we wait and watch the games play out. What makes this fun is that I think there are many options. Yours included. Cannot "argue" with EW, CW, AM, AG and Liv. :)

1--- I just wanted you to understand that people that have Anna as the PF don't agree with your assessment that you can't win vs having someone like Griff. Your posts just seem "incredulous" when you hear it.

2--- You say "You never could have enough playmakers" and you are expecting a huge year from Anna - but then you are okay with putting her on the bench ("if necessary" as you say.). I don't understand how your statement has any meaning of "cannot ever have enough playmakers" then you are okay with having her on the bench. It's a contradiction.

3-- Further, with your projections of this past year's team- a team that was historically speaking weaker than many, many other UCONN teams of the past - you do suggest they were right there to beat Oregon in their home area. And Griff wasn’t even a starter. So how is it that small ball wasn't working?

4-- I have a complete opposite perspective than you. In his last two years he again showed small ball could win even though the team had less talent. He didn't make the mistakes you suggest. He got a team by your very words had to rely (on a non-honorable mention all-American) a young Anna as its top playmaker and a team very young and small - and yet UCONN still "had a chance." There are no mistakes or big "realizations" here from Geno.

It's called being a great coach. It's why he gets number 1 recruits KLS, Walker, Cwill, Paige and in the hunt for Fudd.

5------- How many teams of the past UCONN championships had just one all-American? And those teams that had one - didn't they have a top 2 unreal tremendous POY candidate? Now where would we put Walker as a comparison vs other 1st team A/A's? Auriemma did an amazing job for what he had-- and he did it by playing small. OFC we would prefer he wouldn’t have to. He took the team as far as one could reasonably expect. :)

Maybe you and BBallF need to get a room. :rolleyes:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
It doesn’t seem like anyone is considering that Geno may be cooking up an offense without a traditional four and using four guards and Liv.

The best five will be on the floor when the game starts and the play will be adjusted accordingly. I feel like that has always been Geno’s way...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure I want to enter this debate since if we have Anna or Griff as a "4," likely there are issues. That being said, a few thoughts:
-Anna is strong enough to play the 4 against many but not all teams. She would be quicker and a better shooter than most of her competition. Against pure power players she would suffer but so would Griff who is quick but not strong. Anna boxes out well; Griff can sky - rate this as a wash-hoping a true 4 emerges.
-Similarly, we saw a great shooter in Walker having to play the power forward position this past year. I felt it clogged things up. Anna emerged as one of the best 3 point shooters and fast break players on team - would be a sin to force her down low.
-Anna is not a playmaker in the Crystal mode. She cuts well and opens the floor up for others. Not a point guard. While nice she has the skills to play almost anywhere, we should have enough players for her to play her natural positions - shooting guard or small forward.

I can't see her as SG. I think that spot is log-jammed. I would think between EW, CW, Paige and Nikki - these 4 in combo can fill the spot directly / indirectly.

But at PF there are only 2 - Griff - who has flaws as you point out, and the frosh Edwards - which possibly won't be very good at all this year (ofc she could be terrific). I think Piath is project this year and I'm not sure if another frosh Mir can play as a PF vs the power teams as a frosh. SO UCONN might only have Griff as "near a natural" for this year.
-----------------

JONATHAN-- sorry-- normally I would have stopped long ago with bb1f --- but there just isn't anything else to talk about. And our conversations have been very civil.

Reaction Score
JONATHAN-- sorry-- normally I would have stopped long ago with bb1f --- but there just isn't anything else to talk about. And our conversations have been very civil.

No need to apologize. Your conversations have been very civil and basketball related. But it got to the point where I felt that I was intruding when I read the posts. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's been almost 4 months (Feb 15) since Evina Westbrook was given a clean bill of health by the doctors and trainers, and was cleared to participate in ALL team activities. Since then, we've gone through 11 pages of dialog in this thread on who the starters SHOULD be come November in that first preseason game, and why. Some of you have given some very compelling and insightful arguments to support your case. At this point in the year, all any of us can do is offer our best ”expert” opinions/speculations/guesses on who the starters will be, keeping in mind that they have not had a single practice together yet.

One area that few have mentioned or taken into consideration is the incoming freshmen’s ability to play defense at this level, and stay in front of older college level players. I understand that Bueckers was great in high school, and is projected to be great at this level. All I’m saying is I need to see her learn and understand the offense, be able to run it, and play some semblance of defense before I hand her the keys.

Some are willing to toss her the keys the first day she enters the gym. Again, I’m from Missouri. I can’t do that for her or any other player!! We have a veteran pg that has proven in 60+ games she can play the position, why the rush? When Paige proves she can handle the point on both ends of the court, then she gets the keys, and I'll be her biggest fan/advocate. She may be able to do that during the first 3 weeks of practice, we'll see.

Only a scant few posters have assumed that the 3 returning starters AND the new Griffin, will make a significant leap over the summer. It will be interesting to see who in their infinite wisdom was right (correctly picked/guessed the 5 players Geno sends out there for the first regular preseason (non exhibition) game). The 7 listed below will see significant playing time, and will no doubt be the first 7 off the bench. Not much mention or support for the remaining 3 players. I think it's fair to say (and the consensus seems to be) that the starting 5 will come from this group:

*Makurat
*Williams
*Ododa-Nelson
Westbrook
The "new" Griffin ;)
Edwards
Bueckers

* Returning starters

Disclaimer: I really don't care which 5 players Geno trots out there to begin a game. I'll be elated to have the season begin (hopefully on time), and watch them play. I'm enjoying reading all the different comments and opinions. I'm guessing who GENO will put out there, not who "I" would put out there. There's a difference. In essence, I'm reading his mind 5 months from now.

I realize that all of us see the roster differently, and measure the skill sets of our players differently. You know the old adage of a group of people's perception when viewing a "partially" filled glass of water. THAT'S what I'm reading in these comments, and that's OK. Perception is reality, you see what you see. :) This would be a very "boring" thread if we all thought and perceived things the same. Ahem......carry on yarders.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I never intended our conversation to be exclusive and I know you didn't either. This thread is really about much more than who will start next year and so is our dialogue and there had been some very insightful remarks in it by a large number of BYers. Having said that, I never said Geno "made mistakes". I basically just paraphrased what he said when he changed the defense last year after our third loss. Of course he is a great coach, the best in the game by far but he is great because he is flexible as well. Small ball can beat a bigger and better team at times but look what happened the last 3 times there was a Big Dance. We had small ball teams and lost in the semis. In my view, size and power have been a thematic weakness the last 4 years and if you disagree I respect that but I also don't think it was a mere noteworthy fact. I think it was much more critical than that and that it was not mere happenstance that these last 4 years were what they were. So what about next year? Argonaut is accurate I think in saying that the best 5 players will start, which I assume he meant irrespective of natural position. I don't disagree with that. I am just opining that one of those players will be the "New Griff". At the end of the day, take any 5 of the 7 that Carnac named, start them, and bring the other 2 in as first subs and what do you have HH? Maybe we can agree on something.

Reaction Score
It is a beautiful situation for 2020-2021 with many options in standard 1/2/3/4/5 basketball, as well as a four guard + ONO/Edwards full court press for 3 - 5 minutes to break open games.

The four guards that I have in mind are: Paige, Evina, Anna & Mir/Nika. The substitutions can be made at the standard TV time-outs with three players at a time. If the desired effect is not working towards the end of the half, a time-out can be used (surprise factor). Geno tends to NOT need regular time-outs when he has this much talent.

As for the standard lineup(s):
First several games:
Starter*: Back-up(s):
1: Evina Paige/Nika
2: C. Williams Anna/Evina(with Paige as PG)/Mir
3: Anna Aaliyah/Mir/Evina(with Paige and C. Williams in)
4: Aubrey Aaliyah//ONO(with Piath as center - may be a while before this is tried...)
5: ONO Piath

*All the proposed starters have the most time with each other, Geno, CD & company.

It may be 6 or more games before the change is made at point guard to Paige. It will be interesting to see what the "ripple" will be in 2 - 4 at that point.

Reaction Score
It's been almost 4 months (Feb 15) since Evina Westbrook was given a clean bill of health by the medical staff, and was cleared to participate in ALL team activities. Since then, we've gone through 11 pages of dialog on who the starters SHOULD be come November in that first exhibition game, and why. Some of you have given some very compelling arguments to support your case.

Only a scant few posters have assumed that the 3 returning starters AND Griffin, will make a significant leap over the summer. It will be interesting to see who in their infinite wisdom was right. These 7 will see significant playing time, and will no doubt be the first 7 off the bench. Not much mention or support for the remaining 3 players. I think it's fair to say (and the consensus seems to be) that the starting 5 will come from this group:

*Makurat
*Williams
*Ododa-Nelson
Westbrook
Griffin
Edwards
Bueckers

* Returning starters

There isn't a "right answer" or "a wrong answer." This was just a lot of fun to talk about. Not much else to talk about in terms of basketball. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I tell ya what. This team needs to build chemistry. We are still young and with Evina starting and who has not played in a year and has never played a game at UConn, well shes gonna have to learn all over again. Shes going to have to be developed by Geno and learn on the go. It will take a little bit of time. Along with that we have to get the freshman some playtime and work them into the system too. Having to many inexperienced players on the floor will make it tuffer to build chemistry continunity and execution. Therefore Anna Liv CW will start. Evina has experience at this level and I think she will be the 4th starter. The last spot will depend on who Geno thinks is ready and who he wants on the floor. Does he want Paige or Griff or somebody else. They have different skills and the team has different needs. We are not going to be playing alot of lower class clubs this season. We are in the Big East and its tuffer. Then again we are loaded. So does Geno need another guard starting or does he need a rebounder or defender? We dont know because we havent seen them in practice. One other point Anna is a great passer as is Paige. They learn to work together and that would make the team very strong. To much inexperience starting at the same time could hurt this team. Our OOC schedule to start the season has some tuff teams. Execution is vital as is putting our freshman in positions to gain confidence. They will all need to grow together and they will but it will take a little bit of time.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t seem like anyone is considering that Geno may be cooking up an offense without a traditional four and using four guards and Liv.

The best five will be on the floor when the game starts and the play will be adjusted accordingly. I feel like that has always been Geno’s way...
Totally agree that Geno typically plays the "best" 5 with an added spin. Geno is looking to win a national championship. While he cares about the in league games, he REALLY cares about the top competition and how we match up. Who he starts against Baylor may be different than SC, etc. Who starts the first game is interesting but means a lot less than who Geno is targeting for the end of year and/or the big in season games.

Reaction Score
For one, she is taller, has played a professional type European transition passing game for years, and has a great sense of the play developing. She is a natural passer with the ball. I am not saying Crystal wasn't but this year the emphasis was placed on CD to score because we needed it and she did her job as instructed. Do you think anyone on this team could have, would have, made the highlight reel jump behind the back pass to CW except for Anna? Secondly, if she plays the 4, what inside moves did you see her make this year on offense that would be forthcoming next year? How about none. She rarely finished, frequently turned sideways on the court away from the basket when she had a clear path to the basket, didn't finish strong and does not have a pull up or quick first step. She also is nowhere near the defender that Griff is. You are arguing for a 4 perimeter player offense because Anna cannot, I repeat cannot, be a typical 4 on the low block. Clearly, you are giving up rebounding as well .So let's go back again. My team was EW,AM, CW,AG, and Liv with Paige starting for Anna( unless EW was not physically ready) if Paige was ready and Anna being the first off the bench replacing the 1, 2, or 3 position, not the 4. Edwards would replace Griff at the 4 with Piath obviously replacing Liv and Nika filling in at the 1 or 2 and the team pressing in the same manner as the end of last season. Obviously I think very highly of EW and Griff( I was at the Seton Hall game this year and the talent was unmistakeable) as players but I fail to see the logic in giving up a position closer to the basket on both offense and defense. How often did Anna guard under the basket this year? Rare if ever. She would have to learn technique as well. She can shoot from the perimeter and make plays and would be wasted at the 4. Meg was not a 4 but was athletic enough to play the position and guard it but even she had her deficiencies there which we discussed in length before and she was there because there was no other choice.
Actually, Anna came on strong with pull up jumpers at the end, just as she came on strong in virtually every category, and as a freshman was barking out plays on the court. Since I consider her the key player by a mile on this team I am really worried when she will return to U.S.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's been almost 4 months (Feb 15) since Evina Westbrook was given a clean bill of health by the doctors and trainers, and was cleared to participate in ALL team activities.
That is not correct. Evina Westbrook competed her rehab on May 20th as documented in her social media and posted by @Argonaut which started this thread. In April amid COVID-19 concerns and while most other students had vacated the campus Evina stayed behind to complete her rehab. According to Geno he and Evina were the only ones in the bldg, when Geno occasionally went to the office. The completion of rehab does not necessarily "clear" a player to participate in all team activities. Normally after rehab there is a gradual progression starting with individual workouts, then 2 X 2, 3 X 3 and eventually 5 X 5 before a injured players is fully cleared. The completion of rehab is a great milestone for Evina; 5 months of rehab (Jan -May) from an injury that required a second surgery (June 2019 & Jan 2020) is enough reason to be cautious.

Reaction Score
Paige will be the starter at point.
Anna, Chrystyn and ONO will be the starters at 2/3/5. They were the starters last year and it is there jobs to lose. Nika will get a lot of minutes behind Paige and alongside (ipo Anna, Evina) Paige.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a four guard lineup.
I have to see how Aubrey progressed over the summer but I do see her splitting time with Edwards whenever Geno extra play underneath.
Evina may get the start but I think she will get short minutes because of her knee at least until conference play.

By January Paige will have made it her team.

Westbrook is completely healthy, she will be a "full go" at the beginning of pre-season. There is ZERO chance that Westbrook, arguably the best scorer in the country, will not start.

Reaction Score
Westbrook is completely healthy, she will be a "full go" at the beginning of pre-season. There is ZERO chance that Westbrook, arguably the best scorer in the country, will not start.
Westbrook isn’t close to being the best scorer in the country. There are well over a dozen scorers returning this year who average better than Westbrook’s 14.9 a game. And I only counted major programs. She’ll do well to be the best scorer on her own team.

Reaction Score
Westbrook isn’t close to being the best scorer in the country. There are well over a dozen scorers returning this year who average better than Westbrook’s 14.9 a game. And I only counted major programs. She’ll do well to be the best scorer on her own team.
To be fair Westbrook played point guard at Tennessee, she did avg 27 points her senior year of high school to go along 8 assist, so there’s no telling what her numbers will be at UConn playing along side Paige, also Williams and Liv are a little inconsistent at times so Westbrook could be asked to score a lot. Still I think Howard at Kentucky will be the top scorer in the country next year.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
To be fair Westbrook played point guard at Tennessee, she did avg 27 points her senior year of high school to go along 8 assist, so there’s no telling what her numbers will be at UConn playing along side Paige, also Williams and Liv are a little inconsistent at times so Westbrook could be asked to score a lot. Still I think Howard at Kentucky will be the top scorer in the country next year.
What about this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22