Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There are posters on here who state in a matter of fact way who the starters will be. Why would they do that when Geno does not know who the starters will be? soxfan23, you say you can't just play a kid at the four who has never done so in her life. Using that logic, how can you start a player who has never played a minute of college ball in her life? I believe Makurat is going to be hard to keep out of the starting rotation. How can Westbrook be a lock until she has proven she is healthy and knows the UConn system?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Who is she going to start over? You need size at the 4 or they will get killed off the boards, Williams is a lock, Westbrook is a lock, and you need a legit ball handler point guard. Makurat is a good player, she just doesn't fit in the starting lineup.
I remember a person that was started at the 4 and had no size......Gabby, how did that turn out? She also moved to the 5 to make room for Pheesa to play the 4 spot.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Depending on the schedule and number of actual games, I think Geno is going to use my Blue Team/White Team concept. Each team will be used interchangeably in most BE games and Geno may even switch players on each team. By the end of the conference regular season Geno is going to have his starting 5 figured out and will be able to sub in players confidently. And still have another undefeated conference season.

Because there are allegedly 10 players that will be able to contribute from day 1.

Reaction Score
Depending on the schedule and number of actual games, I think Geno is going to use my Blue Team/White Team concept. Each team will be used interchangeably in most BE games and Geno may even switch players on each team. By the end of the conference regular season Geno is going to have his starting 5 figured out and will be able to sub in players confidently. And still have another undefeated conference season.

Because there are allegedly 10 players that will be able to contribute from day 1.

Nope.

Reaction Score

Allegedly according to whom? Just don't hold your breath waiting for any of this to happen.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Allegedly according to whom? Just don't hold your breath waiting for any of this to happen.
Multiple posters here on the BY. All 5 incoming freshmen have been declared ready for UConn basketball. I think the only frosh that has been referred to as on the fence when it comes to being ready is Piath Gabriel.
And I am sure that one of the two "Teams" will not be made up entirely of the freshmen.

Reaction Score
Multiple posters here on the BY. All 5 incoming freshmen have been declared ready for UConn basketball. I think the only frosh that has been referred to as on the fence when it comes to being ready is Piath Gabriel.
And I am sure that one of the two "Teams" will not be made up entirely of the freshmen.
No wonder Auriemma laughs at the BY.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

I don't believe it has ever taken Geno until the start of the conference tourney to decide on a starting line-up. I believe he will decide on a starting five long before the end of the conference season.

Reaction Score

I would love to see the Blue Team/White Team concept where the second unit was a full court pressing and fast breaking unit, with Nika pressuring the point and leading the break, either Westbrook or Makurat as a scoring/passing wing, and bigs that could run the floor like Griffin, McLean or Edwards, maybe Gabriel.

I realize many believe all three of Bueckers, Westbrook, and Makarat must start, even if it is like four guards and Olivia, with Williams being the fourth. While I think that lineup might have great success, I doubt if it is best for the team. That kind of a choice is generally made when you have four really good guards and only one big that you want on the court. The first condition may be met, but we have players who can be above average college starters at the PF position in Griffin and Edwards, and McLean might be a better than average backup from the get go.

We don't need to play someone out of position there, and there is somewhat of a minutes crunch everywhere but center. I think Geno just has to make the tough decision and pick two from the three to start, and the loser winds up getting plenty of minutes as a star off the bench that could substitute for multiple positions.

Westbrook and Anna could play 1,2 or 3. Bueckers could easily play either 1 or 2 and maybe 3 in a pinch. Edwards in my opinion could cover Liv's backup minutes at center, so with Griffin you could in a short rotation have a three big rotation and the loser of the starter competition at 1-3 cover the backup minutes at those three positions. That would be using just 7 players like some of Geno's short rotations in recent years.

Like the four guard starting lineup the 7 player rotation could be very good, but the best would be if Nika earned the backup PG minutes as #8, Mir could be an asset of the bench some at 3-4, and be 9th in minutes, and Piath could run the floor, rebound and defend to earn minutes so we could have a Blue Team and White Team for significant parts of the game, wear other teams out, and cut our starters minutes closer to 25 a game.

Reaction Score
I realize many believe all three of Bueckers, Westbrook, and Makarat must start, even if it is like four guards and Olivia, with Williams being the fourth. While I think that lineup might have great success, I doubt if it is best for the team. That kind of a choice is generally made when you have four really good guards and only one big that you want on the court. The first condition may be met, but we have players who can be above average college starters at the PF position in Griffin and Edwards, and McLean might be a better than average backup from the get go.

The reason why some of us believe "the 3 Must start" (though I'm not sold Anna must start. I can also see her coming off the bench for Griffin - or maybe Edwards.) is that we aren't sure if Griffin or Edwards or Mir can be be better. Just because they are taller or more physical doesn't mean they are better. Frankly, if Evina can't defend a bit like Walker then I don't think they can go 4 guards. So I am also with you or anyone who says start others in that I understand the pov. BUT - the little I've seen of her though- I think she can play like Walker on defense- but not sure ofc. I am less sure of Edwards and Mir. Slightly less sure with Griffin. Though I understand starting the others. Though would be shocked if it is Mir.

Anyhow, off the top of your head wouldn't you agree that Evina, Paige and Anna are the better players than Griff and Edwards? I agree if Edwards or Griffin for example are better - sure. But if they aren't -- we played small last year - why can't we play small again? This team might be better than last years team playing small, right? UCONN was 5th in the country last year and UCONN might be much, much better this upcoming year even if they play small. So why fight it?

Reaction Score
Like the four guard starting lineup the 7 player rotation could be very good, but the best would be if Nika earned the backup PG minutes as #8, Mir could be an asset of the bench some at 3-4, and be 9th in minutes, and Piath could run the floor, rebound and defend to earn minutes so we could have a Blue Team and White Team for significant parts of the game, wear other teams out, and cut our starters minutes closer to 25 a game.

As far as the bold above, having the bench of 9-10 players "to wear down the opposition" get brought up quite a bit -- but it's a myth. In regulation you're not going to wear down 18-22 year old kids much if at all because of numbers. A tired superior player could gain enough distance vs the weaker player in which you can't make that difference back up. You're mostly going to wear down an opposing team because of the quality of your players not just throwing lesser quality players and think volume of lesser players playing over 35% of the game will do the job vs the elite teams. .

As an example, putting Olivia on the bench with Piath to battle someone like Boston is a reason why you lose the game. Boston could relax on defense and on offense she'll probably destroy Piath. Potentially it could put you in a hole. There's a reason why they are "bench players." Instead why not play Olivia 35+ so you could try to wear down Boston? The superior player or near equal will wear down the opponent moreso than numbers. Why put additional pressure on your starters to have to come in and possibly have to change momentum along with being possibly being behind - have to have additional ice water in their veins because our bench got beaten up pretty bad? Now with the starters back in, "South Carolina taking a lead because of they beat the bench" can slow down the game if they are tired. Now we've put pressure that our press must work or something similar. By using the bench in mass scale of giving them 75 minutes (37.5% of the game) - you have allowed the opposing team's defense to not have to play as hard. The elite teams will not wear down because of that. This is why in WCBB you have not seen any great teams recently employ this strategy of starters only playing 25 minutes. The elite teams with their stars will kill the bench.

And playing your stars such as Paige for 25 minutes with lesser players because you hope to wear down 18-22 year old's - is wrong. You play your best. You go down fighting with your best. Not "hoping" you "might" wear down another "very fit" team just by numbers of players.

Reaction Score
My prediction is:

PG-Westbrook-bring the ball up
SG-Williams
SF-Makurat-run the offense in the half court
PF-Griffin
C-Nelson-Ododa

Paige comes off the bench first and totally changes up the game by playing traditional PG. Aliyah becomes the new Aubrey as the energy off the bench in thevfront court.
This line up makes the most sense to me to start the season. This was my prediction after Megan decided to go pro.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Frankly, if Evina can't defend a bit like Walker then I don't think they can go 4 guards. So I am also with you or anyone who says start others in that I understand the pov. BUT - the little I've seen of her though- I think she can play like Walker on defense- but not sure ofc.

I must be miss-remembering. When was Walker a stout defensive player? Her strengths were hitting threes and defensive rebounds, plus the ability to create her own shot pretty well.

Reaction Score
I must be miss-remembering. When was Walker a stout defensive player? Her strengths were hitting threes and defensive rebounds, plus the ability to create her own shot pretty well.

Who said she was "stout?" She was good enough for being a 1st team all-american while leading her team to number 5 in the country. That's pretty good, isn't it?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Who said she was "stout?" She was good enough for being a 1st team all-american while leading her team to number 5 in the country. That's pretty good, isn't it?

I don't think she got that recognition for her defense. She wasn't very quick or active defensively though she got better over the years.

Reaction Score
I don't think she got that recognition for her defense. She wasn't very quick or active defensively though she got better over the years.

I am not arguing that point. I didn't say anything about stout before nor did I say anything about recognition. Not a big deal at all - just want to point out that you're misinterpreting the point of my comment that you 1st quoted. Nor am I saying anything about her freshman year and even her soph year -- I preferred the slim down jr year. Not abig deal at all but you're reading more into my post than what I said about Evina vs Walker.

If Evina is ever to be a PF - she doesn't need to be "stout" nor does she need to get "defensive recognition." Walker didn't need to be either as well. Walker was "good enough" to be the leader on the number 5 team despite her shortcomings defensively at the PF. UCONN "survived" being number 5 in the country with this shortcoming. A similar shortcoming from Evina but not a lot worse -- UCONN "can survive" again and still possibly be better as a team as long as Evina is very close to Walker defensively.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I am not arguing that point. I didn't say anything about stout before nor did I say anything about recognition. Not a big deal at all - just want to point out that you're misinterpreting the point of my comment that you 1st quoted. Nor am I saying anything about her freshman year and even her soph year -- I preferred the slim down jr year. Not abig deal at all but you're reading more into my post than what I said about Evina vs Walker.

If Evina is ever to be a PF - she doesn't need to be "stout" nor does she need to get "defensive recognition." Walker didn't need to be either as well. Walker was "good enough" to be the leader on the number 5 team despite her shortcomings defensively at the PF. UCONN "survived" being number 5 in the country with this shortcoming. A similar shortcoming from Evina but not a lot worse -- UCONN "can survive" again and still possibly be better as a team as long as Evina is very close to Walker defensively.

Walker and Westbrook wouldn't guard many of the same types of players anyway. Walker was strong and not overly quick, better suited to using her size and strength down low. Westbrook should be fleeter of foot and better off defending quicker players on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Walker and Westbrook wouldn't guard many of the same types of players anyway. Walker was strong and not overly quick, better suited to using her size and strength down low. Westbrook should be fleeter of foot and better off defending quicker players on the perimeter.

That was my point. If Westbrook can't guard the pf's in a similar manner then the 4guard may not work. She doesn't have to be "as strong" but if she could be "near as strong."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reason why some of us believe "the 3 Must start" (though I'm not sold Anna must start. I can also see her coming off the bench for Griffin - or maybe Edwards.) is that we aren't sure if Griffin or Edwards or Mir can be be better. Just because they are taller or more physical doesn't mean they are better. Frankly, if Evina can't defend a bit like Walker then I don't think they can go 4 guards. So I am also with you or anyone who says start others in that I understand the pov. BUT - the little I've seen of her though- I think she can play like Walker on defense- but not sure ofc. I am less sure of Edwards and Mir. Slightly less sure with Griffin. Though I understand starting the others. Though would be shocked if it is Mir.

Anyhow, off the top of your head wouldn't you agree that Evina, Paige and Anna are the better players than Griff and Edwards? I agree if Edwards or Griffin for example are better - sure. But if they aren't -- we played small last year - why can't we play small again? This team might be better than last years team playing small, right? UCONN was 5th in the country last year and UCONN might be much, much better this upcoming year even if they play small. So why fight it?
I expect that Evina and Paige are very likely to be better players this year than Griff and Edwards if they are playing their natural positions. Anna and Griff in my opinion might be close, as might be Edwards vs. Anna, and there is much uncertainty but I expect Edwards in time to be better than Griff and a future WNBA player.

You could grade every player by what position they play. In my opinion Westbrook's best position is SG, so maybe on a scale of 1-10 she might be a 9 at that position, a 7 or 8 at the point or small forward, but only say a 5 at PF. Maybe a better player but not necessarily at the PF position. If Westbrook or Anna come off the bench either could reasonably backup 1-3, and be number 6 on minutes played overall.

Or look at the bench with four guards starting. In that case your two best bench players would both have PF as their best natural position in my opinion, although a good argument could be made for Nika. The entire pattern of rotation has to be taken into account.

We have pretty good versatility with this roster for 1-3 with a couple of exceptions. Nika is a pure point with probably a mediocre shot, and I feel her effectiveness as a 2 would drop off substantially. I think CW is much better at 2 than any other position. If CW is in with Westbrook it is better to keep her at the 2 and have Westbrook be the 1 or 3. Same thing with CW and Anna. If Nika is in with Paige who could be very good at 1 or 2, Nika should take the point with Paige as the 2.

Up front I would play a better player out of position to cover minutes behind Liv. Griff and Edwards might be close for their abilities this year at the 4, but Edwards is bigger and more suited to play against bigger players. I think Edwards playing her 2nd or third best position is very likely to be better than Piath playing her natural spot. So there unless Piath shows a-lot maybe Liv, Griff and Edwards share the 4/5 minutes with Liv getting all of hers at C, Griff getting all of hers at PF (maybe a few at SF), and Edwards splitting hers between both positions.

Reaction Score
I can’t see Westbrook going from point guard, to power forward. Williams at 5’11 is the better rebounder, and looks a little more physical then Westbrook. If UConn runs with a 4 guard line up, I expect Williams or Anna to play the 4 on defense, the good thing only teams like Baylor, and South Carolina should give the huskies fits since they both go with size at both the front court positions.
Also Westbrook has 3 double digit assist games in her college career and 2 games with at least 9, clearly setting up her teammates is one of the strongest parts of her game.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
No wonder Auriemma laughs at the BY.
I think that you have picked up on the true intent of my original post...even though in a small way, I am actually in favor of "my" dual team concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom