Eric Cobb Highlights | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Eric Cobb Highlights

Reaction Score
He can handle the ball and pass well for a big, this is a plus even against lesser comp

It's a plus so long as Cobb realizes his days of running the break are over. The first time he tries that in a game no one will have to argue about firing KO anymore, because his head will have exploded.

It is nice to see the hand-eye coordination though.

Reaction Score
Even more there than I thought. Handle is very good for a big, hope he doesn't expect to use it that much here LOL, he has a nice left hand and can pass it both in traffic and up the court from a defensive rebound. Add to that he has people bouncing off of him when he makes a move, he's not the one falling. I like what there is to work with there!

Add to it all the talk about losing weight, not so, actually just needs some cardio maybe his body of work looks solid.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
He certainly looks better in this video than the other one we saw. He looks lighter to me too here, but not a leaper. Pretty good handle, some good passes/vision, and showed some ability with this left hand. He made several nice quick moves toward the basket when openings appeared. I don't think he took a shot from further than 2 feet away, so hard to guess if he can shoot foul shots. He could and should contribute this year, hope he comes in ready to get in the best shape of his life.

Reaction Score
Cobb in JUCO highlight video > Enoch with Armenia highlight video

I have to say, I was much less impressed with Enoch in Armenia. But, the passes all the way downcourt to open guys aren't even seen in Armenia. That was a level of putrid I didn't expect.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. He can catch
  2. Doesn't wait to see if a shot is going in before thinking about position/box out
  3. He can catch
  4. Has enough bulk to establish/maintain position, but not to slow him down or anchor him to the floor.
  5. He can catch
  6. Decent handle for his size
  7. Confident (and not hesitant) in his offensive moves
  8. Did I mention that he can catch the ball?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Three things I care about here:
  1. He has hands
  2. He knows how to box out, so he's clearly been coached
  3. He can pass
If that's all he brings to the table, he'll be a good piece for us. If he brings more – specifically with his ability to establish post position and make something of it, or if he's a vocal & communicative backline defender – then we should all be very happy.

Now let's hope he lives on the treadmill between now and November.

Reaction Score
Guy has more skill from the frontcourt than anyone weve had in 10 years. He might not give the rim protecting--but HMM he can handle awesome for 6-8 280 he knows the angles soft touch good energy--I think this is a coup for Uconn.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Guy has more skill from the frontcourt than anyone weve had in 10 years. He might not give the rim protecting--but HMM he can handle awesome for 6-8 280 he knows the angles soft touch good energy--I think this is a coup for UConn.

I say this despite being fully intimidated by your bicep: stop.

The scrappy hyperbole train isn't scheduled to arrive at the station until November.

pj

Reaction Score
Guy has more skill from the frontcourt than anyone weve had in 10 years. He might not give the rim protecting--but HMM he can handle awesome for 6-8 280 he knows the angles soft touch good energy--I think this is a coup for UConn.

Lots of guys have had far better skills (Kentan Facey, Deandre Daniels, Juwan Durham, etc) but big man skills don't always translate into a lot of game usage because the guards/wings are usually better at most skills. I'd expect the same to be true of most of Cobb's skills. Cobb will from time to time give us the surprise and-one the way Brimah did against St. Joe's, and that's pretty good as long as he can defend, rebound, outlet pass, screen, anticipate play and get to the right spot on the floor.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Even more there than I thought. Handle is very good for a big, hope he doesn't expect to use it that much here LOL, he has a nice left hand and can pass it both in traffic and up the court from a defensive rebound. Add to that he has people bouncing off of him when he makes a move, he's not the one falling. I like what there is to work with there!

Add to it all the talk about losing weight, not so, actually just needs some cardio maybe his body of work looks solid.

My take was similar. In summary, we might not be screwed. This is clearly our biggest roster hole, and if this can can block out, rebound, make outlet passes, and defend without being run over, that would be huge.

Right now I'd say our opening lineup could include him at the 5 and Diarra at the 4, with Larrier playing his natural 3. Not sure for how many minutes, but it seems viable.

Reaction Score

Did you miss that whole Andre Drummond year? In high school highlights he was running the floor like a jacked up gazelle

Reaction Score
Did you miss that whole Andre Drummond year? In high school highlights he was running the floor like a jacked up gazelle

Yep. Andre was doing behind the back dribbles. Then again, Andre has run the floor like that in the NBA a few times.

Reaction Score

Are we looking for Andre or alike? Yeah but not reality, no one is saying he's the next great one and we don't need that either. We need someone who can move people on D, take some space, throw an outlet pass like a man rather than handing it off so maybe our guards can use their speed and just plain rebound the ball. No guarantee on any or all but there are some very nice things to see.

Reaction Score
Lots of guys have had far better skills (Kentan Facey, Deandre Daniels, Juwan Durham, etc) but big man skills don't always translate into a lot of game usage because the guards/wings are usually better at most skills. I'd expect the same to be true of most of Cobb's skills. Cobb will from time to time give us the surprise and-one the way Brimah did against St. Joe's, and that's pretty good as long as he can defend, rebound, outlet pass, screen, anticipate play and get to the right spot on the floor.

Not sure we're fair comparing him to forwards pj, different athletes none of those you mentioned could take up space in the middle as we know. His skills look good for a big dude is all anyone is saying. His skill set is one hundred times better than what's been playing the 5 for sure, having said that he won't impact blocking shots at all we know that. But I'm thinking that guys like that 6'7 dude who tore AB apart opening game for Wagner wouldn't be getting his shoulder into and moving this guy either. Give and take type deal here. Plus he has a left, throws a good long pass and can dribble. No alley oops though - again just looking for some impact areas while playing his minutes.

Reaction Score
Hard to evaluate what will translate to this level but I wasn't expecting to see that kind of skillset. I was expecting to see a big bodied stiff, the first couple of plays with him advancing the ball up court by himself and making those kinds of passes off the dribble threw me for a loop.

Yeah, he looked more spry than I expected as well...kind of gives me hope that maybe he can give us something in the way of rim protection & competent pick and roll defense. If he can give us something like Chris Silva gave South Carolina this year I'd be thrilled.

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah, he looked more spry than I expected as well...kind of gives me hope that maybe he can give us something in the way of rim protection & competent pick and roll defense. If he can give us something like Chris Silva gave South Carolina this year I'd be thrilled.

Chris Silva is a pretty good comp for Cobb.

Reaction Score
Cobb in JUCO highlight video > Enoch with Armenia highlight video
This JUCO highlight video made me forget about Enoch even more than I already had. Enoch clearly has size on Cobb, but it seems like Cobb has the potential to bring a hell of a lot more to the table. Jeff Adrian-eqsue???

Reaction Score
I also like the fact that he gives us a wide body that can defend other wide bodies...haven't had that in a while.

Kid definitely has some skills. His passing was impressive for a big man although he obviously won't be running the break at UConn. This video gives me confidence that he can give us a solid 15 minutes a game year one.

Reaction Score
Look we are all getting along. 2,pages and no one called an idiot or moron. Is it possible tha Cobb can bring us all together
When I put this highlight together, I was going to include the good, the bad and the ugly. Then I remembered that this board needs some positivity so I just went with the good. Glad it's working so far.

Reaction Score
Look we are all getting along. 2,pages and no one called an idiot or moron. Is it possible tha Cobb can bring us all together

What a moron to even suggest we can get along you idiot pollyanna SOB.

But I agree Cobb could be a nice piece next year imno have a great day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just be aggressive on the boards and I'll be thrilled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom