Eric Cobb Highlights | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Eric Cobb Highlights

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
When I put this highlight together, I was going to include the good, the bad and the ugly. Then I remembered that this board needs some positivity so I just went with the good. Glad it's working so far.

Good call. There's gonna be ugly during the season (with hopefully a healthy serving of good). No need for that now.

There's things to like there. Let's hope he develops this offseason.

Reaction Score
When I put this highlight together, I was going to include the good, the bad and the ugly. Then I remembered that this board needs some positivity so I just went with the good. Glad it's working so far.

I'm just going to assume that he plays exactly like those highlights 100% of the time.

Reaction Score
That was awesome film. Hope lives at the 5 spot. Someone named RudyG 2006 posted in another thread out of the blue that Cobb was going to be a beast. He very well might be.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Oh so this is #FakeNews? Nice job, idiot.

Reaction Score
Oh so this is #FakeNews? Nice job, idiot.
tumblr_nj0b0eVXIn1t55xupo1_500.gif

Reaction Score
If he can stay on the floor we might have something here.

Reaction Score
My take was similar. In summary, we might not be screwed. This is clearly our biggest roster hole, and if this can can block out, rebound, make outlet passes, and defend without being run over, that would be huge.

Right now I'd say our opening lineup could include him at the 5 and Diarra at the 4, with Larrier playing his natural 3. Not sure for how many minutes, but it seems viable.
I don't see how we play this lineup unless Diarra and Cobb can score. We already know how bad it is to play 3 on 5 with other teams. I can see Cobb or Diarra starting at the 5 with TL at PF and JA, CV and AG filling it up. That way we have one rebounder and a bunch of shooters. I know KO wanted a bigger guy to play SF with skills like Wilson but he whiffed there.

Reaction Score
Cobb in JUCO highlight video > Enoch with Armenia highlight video

But Enoch showed a variety of useful post moves in Armenia. Cobb is just squaring towards the backboard and putting in layups, as defenders get out of his way.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
But Enoch showed a variety of useful post moves in Armenia. Cobb is just squaring towards the backboard and putting in layups, as defenders get out of his way.

Some good those post moves were this past year.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the highlights, it was uplifting and a relief that Cobb is coming :). As mentioned in the threads, good hands for big, I really like that he moves people around without committing fouls, sets up in decent position for boards, looks like he is able and willing to battle. Like the fact that he uses both hands on layups, however seems to favor his right hand only on low post moves. Something to watch and trust he is working, or being monitored that he is developing that.

Yet to see stamina and whether that may be an issue.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
  1. He can catch
  2. Doesn't wait to see if a shot is going in before thinking about position/box out
  3. He can catch
  4. Has enough bulk to establish/maintain position, but not to slow him down or anchor him to the floor.
  5. He can catch
  6. Decent handle for his size
  7. Confident (and not hesitant) in his offensive moves
  8. Did I mention that he can catch the ball?
Catching and passing are the things that stood out. Also that he eats up space

Reaction Score
Clearly Enoch's post moves didnt transalte well from Armenia to major D-1 basketball. I'm not sure how Cobb's post offense will translate either, but he definetly has a skillset that will help Uconn in multiple ways.

Reaction Score
We saw those post moves this year and the shots ended up as bricks and airballs, and Enoch shot terribly in that FIBA bside tourney as well. Cobb's effectiveness will be TBD, but I don't really care how the skills look in the post, only result that matters is a bucket.

Reaction Score
Some good those post moves were this past year.

We saw those post moves this year and the shots ended up as bricks and airballs, and Enoch shot terribly in that FIBA bside tourney as well. Cobb's effectiveness will be TBD, but I don't really care how the skills look in the post, only result that matters is a bucket.

Sure, Enoch didn't convert on them. But the moves were there and he could get his shot off and up onto the rim whenever he wanted. Cobb will not be able to get those shots off against D1 defense. The JUCO defenders in that vid are literally getting out of his way on some of those. But it doesn't matter, he's not here for that purpose. He's here to be a big body, box out, and set good SOLID screens. If he can play that role well we should all be happy :)

Reaction Score
I call BS. He uses his body to displace the defense (technically a player control foul that is rarely called), getting them off balance before he goes up for the shot. He can get that shot off at UConn due to his size. Shot blockers need to be balanced. One of the reasons Brimah had problems with fouls is guys would go into his chest which would cause his arms to come down, and lead to more fouls called.

For all the talk about Enoch's post moves, finishing is what matters. Enoch shot 41% for fcks sake. This guy showed he can finish with both hands, and he has better vision than some guards. He also didn't panic when the double team came and made a nice pass. He squared up the defender at the elbow and drove by him.

I don't expect him to be Jeff Adrien on offense. But he's got more potential than 5 fouls and eating up space.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't see how we play this lineup unless Diarra and Cobb can score. We already know how bad it is to play 3 on 5 with other teams. I can see Cobb or Diarra starting at the 5 with TL at PF and JA, CV and AG filling it up. That way we have one rebounder and a bunch of shooters. I know KO wanted a bigger guy to play SF with skills like Wilson but he whiffed there.

The problem playing 3 on 5 last year was that our bigs could neither rebound, set screens, pass, or score.

If Cobb and Diarra can rebound, set screens and pass, we would be fine with that lineup.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I call BS. He uses his body to displace the defense (technically a player control foul that is rarely called), getting them off balance before he goes up for the shot. He can get that shot off at UConn due to his size. Shot blockers need to be balanced. One of the reasons Brimah had problems with fouls is guys would go into his chest which would cause his arms to come down, and lead to more fouls called.

For all the talk about Enoch's post moves, finishing is what matters. Enoch shot 41% for Scalitos sake. This guy showed he can finish with both hands, and he has better vision than some guards. He also didn't panic when the double team came and made a nice pass. He squared up the defender at the elbow and drove by him.

I don't expect him to be Jeff Adrien on offense. But he's got more potential than 5 fouls and eating up space.

And let's be honest, Jeff wasn't a world beater on O his first year or two. He developed.

Reaction Score
It took Oljuwon a while to figure it out. I'm not saying I'm just saying ;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They can dunk, therefore they can score. I'll say it now, Larrier won't be at the PF spot all game long. Somebody from that collection of guys we have coming in, plus Diarra, is going to get minutes there. I'm sure the matchup will dictate that in part. We'll see what happens, but we have even less depth on the perimeter, in sheer numbers (not talent), than we do inside.

Reaction Score
They can dunk, therefore they can score. I'll say it now, Larrier won't be at the PF spot all game long. Somebody from that collection of guys we have coming in, plus Diarra, is going to get minutes there. I'm sure the matchup will dictate that in part. We'll see what happens, but we have even less depth on the perimeter, in sheer numbers (not talent), than we do inside.

Agreed. The unfortunate thing about us losing Wilson is that Larrier is the only SF on the team, and none of our guards are taller than 6'2". I'm sure we'll play a 3 guard lineup a decent amount, but with only 4 guards we can't play 3 guards all the time. I think we'll see a lot of Larrier at the 3, Diarra at the 4, and Cobb/Carlton at the 5 as well.

Now, if somehow we pull a rabbit out of our hat with Waters, we will play a 3 guard lineup more (unlikely).

Reaction Score
Just rebound, defend and make put backs. Anything more is a bonus.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If this kid can get a reliable 7 rebounds in 20 or so minutes and finish on the 2-3 bunnies he gets each game I will be thoroughly satisfied with his freshman season.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
If this kid can get a reliable 7 rebounds in 20 or so minutes and finish on the 2-3 bunnies he gets each game I will be thoroughly satisfied with his freshman season.

Technically a junior

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom