Eric Cobb Highlights | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Eric Cobb Highlights

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Steve also committed offensive fouls very often on his post moves. He would hook a fair amount and arm bar and push off a lot. Many times it wasn't called even though it was pretty blatant. I remember commenting in the chat room during one of the games that he kept fouling on his post moves and was lucky they weren't called. A few minutes later he got whistled. During one of the games I believe I remember Vital pointing out to him in the huddle he was doing it. You could see him talking to Steve and motioning with his forearm.

Vital did that with different players on quite a few occasions this year. Love that IQ and confidence in a freshman.

Reaction Score
I see some Eric Hayward in him. Has decent hands and can carve out space which should result in more rebounds. His passing really stood out also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm going to go with a different guy he reminds me of. I see a little bit of DeJuan Blair - that old Pitt guy who I severely miscalculated in expecting to be an undersized Barkley type NBA player. But, I see a bit of him - that size, ability to get off shots using backboard effectively, and that bulk to help rebounding. Somebody is going to say I'm way off. But, I like what I see.

This was my exact comparison - D. Blair - not today, but could be.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just from watching the film, I don't care who its against, he does things AB could only dream of doing
Not going to say he is going to be All Conference but he just may be the most versatile big guy UConn has had in a while
We'll see

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It's a crap shoot until he gets to UConn and practices with his teammates and see what happens. He has some skill but again the competition is suspect at best.

Reaction Score
Things I liked:(albeit in a highlight tape)
Passes well
Anticipates well
Spacial awareness
Good IQ
Outlet passing(can't run if you don't rebound and outlet- I miss those days)
Lighter on his feet than I thought
Plays with energy

A pleasant surprise. I'll be pullin for the big fella!!

Reaction Score
Here are some facts: UConn has won with the likes of Brimah/Nolan, and Olander/Okwandu.

They did their marginal thing while the Kembas, Lambs, Napiers and Danielses went crazy. Glue guys like Roscoe, Giffey, Kromah, and Boatright did their part.

Looking at Diarra, Carlton and Cobb, they should be able to do what Brimah/Nolan/Olander/Okwandu did, and perhaps more.

The sad thing is that they need seasoning. But, the fact is, so do Larrier and Gilbert. By some miracle, I hope the only seasoning they need is November/December/January, and that Adams is ready to go by game 1.

Reaction Score
Lots of guys have had far better skills (Kentan Facey, Deandre Daniels, Juwan Durham, etc) but big man skills don't always translate into a lot of game usage because the guards/wings are usually better at most skills. I'd expect the same to be true of most of Cobb's skills. Cobb will from time to time give us the surprise and-one the way Brimah did against St. Joe's, and that's pretty good as long as he can defend, rebound, outlet pass, screen, anticipate play and get to the right spot on the floor.
Daniels had the skills, the other two ?

Reaction Score
Cobb appears to have lots of natural ability and if he works hard in practice, S&C, and the classroom he will
get better & better the more he plays. Which brings me to another subject, CV's work habits. Reportedly CV
was a gym rat last year and worked very very hard on all aspects of being a student athlete. Whaley expressed a desire to work hard and improve and if Cobb and Whaley and others get on the " CV plan " the sky's the limit. I think KO should make CV and JA captains next year as that would give those two some confidence and focus and responsibility and I think both could be terrific leaders.

Reaction Score
Facey and Durham have considerably more skills than Cobb. Many of those skills didn't show in our games, but if you ever saw them practice, they were there.

Facey, a better athlete for sure but better skills, not sure about that? passing - nope. Ball handling, doesn't look like it. Get up for an offensive rebound, yep no doubt. Defensive rebound, block out - not so much. Scoring, probably.

Facey's athletic ability was really good and he finally figured out how to get a shot off and had a run where he made a lot, but then missed a lot again. It took the 4th year so I think we need to see more. Again, 2 totally different players who rely in different sets of skills and who makes the biggest impact in the end, we will wait to see.

pj

Reaction Score
Facey, a better athlete for sure but better skills, not sure about that? passing - nope. Ball handling, doesn't look like it. Get up for an offensive rebound, yep no doubt. Defensive rebound, block out - not so much. Scoring, probably.

Facey's athletic ability was really good and he finally figured out how to get a shot off and had a run where he made a lot, but then missed a lot again. It took the 4th year so I think we need to see more. Again, 2 totally different players who rely in different sets of skills and who makes the biggest impact in the end, we will wait to see.

Facey is an excellent shooter. Hard to tell who has better dribbling and passing from highlight videos. Here's a high school Facey video from 2013 (2-3 years younger than Cobb in tcf's video) and he rarely takes more than one dribble and never passes, but you can see that he shoots better than Cobb and moves well:

Reaction Score
Facey is an excellent shooter. Hard to tell who has better dribbling and passing from highlight videos. Here's a high school Facey video from 2013 (2-3 years younger than Cobb in tcf's video) and he rarely takes more than one dribble and never passes, but you can see that he shoots better than Cobb and moves well:

I don't need a HS video pj to know Facey wasn't at all a good passer and couldn't dribble it more than once. We haven't seen Cobb shoot but maybe he is. Remember as good as KF was for a stretch he couldn't make a shot for 5-6 games again late. While his improvement was really good and I have nothing but good things to say about it, he wasn't overly skilled but he was a great athlete which made up for his lack thereof. Just me!

Reaction Score
Facey and Durham have considerably more skills than Cobb. Many of those skills didn't show in our games, but if you ever saw them practice, they were there.
Brilliant. Wish I could give more than 1 like.

We should have a like allotment system. You get 3 per day, use them as you wish.

Reaction Score
[Facey] wasn't overly skilled but he was a great athlete
I must have been watching a different guy. Facey's singular skill was having a nose for the ball. As in Marcus White level. Dribbling, shooting, screening, defending . . . all suspect. Enjoyed his 4 years here, but don't believe "great athlete" comes close.

Reaction Score
I actually was impressed with Kentan the whole year. Everything wasn't always working for him but I saw plenty of effort, aggressiveness and heady play from him. Compared to the three previous years, he took a jump this past year getting his head right and his body stronger and it showed. He was a much improved player.

Reaction Score
That's like saying somebody as a beautiful swing, but he hits .245.
Plus they were probably going up against Enoch in practice. Definitely a confidence builder. Heard they weren't as successful against the chair

pj

Reaction Score
That's like saying somebody as a beautiful swing, but he hits .245.

It's all relative. The guy who hits .245 against MLB pitching will hit .450 against American Legion pitching.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's all relative. The guy who hits .245 against MLB pitching will hit .450 against American Legion pitching.

The problem is, we aren't facing American Legion pitching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom