Eric Cobb commits to UConn | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Eric Cobb commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Adams needs to get a lot better if he wants to enter the draft early. He's not a natural PG, but he isn't big enough and doesn't shoot well enough to play the 2 in the NBA. He needs to learn to finish with his left, improve his jumpshot, and cut down on the turnovers. He's got the height/athleticism, but Shabazz was a better shooter/PG.

Reaction Score
Shabazz had to. Adams is light years ahead when it comes to an NBA projection/potential. Mainly cause of his size and athleticism. Is it fair? No, but it is what it is.

No offense to shabazz, but sure it is definitely fair. Shabazz Craftiness and IQ which made him so elite at the college level don't cut it in the NBA. Kemba had the glorious combination of both, which is why he'll always be number 1 to me. Look a this NBA resume right now and shabazz.

Jalens size give him a better shot. He can be taught the IQ that shabazz had, but could still work on athleticism--another thing that can be improved. Can't teach Napier to grow 4 inches.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
KO has done a good job in developing bigs, but I wouldn't say he can't develop bigs. As you said, the sample size is small, the prospects were very raw, and even top 40ish bigs tend to take a while to develop. I am not confident but I'd say the jury is out. That said, add me to the mix of folks advocating for a new big man coach.

This is a point that is not made enough: Sample size is tiny. With regards to bigs, you've got to have a guy 3-4 years (if they are raw or average coming in) in order to realistically assess development.

We've had one full cycle of guys come through so far. Most of which were decent recruits at best. Results have been mixed, cloudy actually.

I mean just look at this list:
  • Brimah - got better, just enough for our taste (nor team)
  • Facey - def developed, just took a while
  • Nolan - dead flat development
  • Daniels - stretch 4; def developed
  • Miller - N/A - only here one year
  • Lubin - transferred
  • Wolfe - transferred
Is it any wonder there hasn't been much development? That is NOT a list of who's who of bigs.

And currently:
  • Enoch - jury - still out
  • Durham - jury still out - injured
  • Diarrha - jury still out - injured
My problem with Ollie era is not big development. It is big recruiting. We haven't been able to land any studs, until Durham, and to a lesser extent Diarrha. And both those guys couldn't even get out of the starting blocks due to injury.

Reaction Score
I remember Roscoe playing a fair bit of 4 next to Oriakhi.

He did at times, and in fact that was usually our most successful lineup in 2011, with Bazz/Kemba/Lamb/Roscoe/Oriakhi.

But the 4 was Roscoe's natural position, and he was out of position when we would start with something like Kemba/Lamb/Roscoe/Olander/Oriakhi.

DD was the opposite case, where our best lineup and in 2014 our starting lineup came with him at the 4. But he's not a natural 4. He's a 3 who was forced to play the 4.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He did at times, and in fact that was usually our most successful lineup in 2011, with Bazz/Kemba/Lamb/Roscoe/Oriakhi.

But the 4 was Roscoe's natural position, and he was out of position when we would start with something like Kemba/Lamb/Roscoe/Olander/Oriakhi.

DD was the opposite case, where our best lineup and in 2014 our starting lineup came with him at the 4. But he's not a natural 4. He's a 3 who was forced to play the 4.

But Olander was only in there for 5 minutes at most. I think JC put him in there just to get the opposition playing one way, only to switch it up with the Roscoe/Lamb combo (his preferred lineup).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No offense to shabazz, but sure it is definitely fair. Shabazz Craftiness and IQ which made him so elite at the college level don't cut it in the NBA. Kemba had the glorious combination of both, which is why he'll always be number 1 to me. Look a this NBA resume right now and shabazz.

Jalens size give him a better shot. He can be taught the IQ that shabazz had, but could still work on athleticism--another thing that can be improved. Can't teach Napier to grow 4 inches.

Adams right now is way more athletic than Shabazz imo.

I was talking about 'fairness' rhetorically, in that Shabazz was an amazing basketball player. He's got NBA game. He just doesn't have NBA size nor athletic ability, which kills him (see his shooting).

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It's possible, just possible, that KO knows more about our pending scholarship availability than we do. He also may already know Epperson isn't coming here.
Why? Did Calipari make a phone call?

Reaction Score
It's possible, just possible, that KO knows more about our pending scholarship availability than we do. He also may already know Epperson isn't coming here. He also may already be speaking with grad transfers and know who is a no, and who is a maybe. I'm just theorizing that he many have a better handle on these topics than we do.

No c'mon how could he 80's, he sucks!:eek:

Reaction Score
Courant:

I think KO saw the "skill set" and thinks he can get through to him, and I do like this move. Kids saying the right things and I think he just needs to get to a good program again and do all the right things to get in shape and prepare. Love his size, we haven't had that look in the middle for a long time, Hayward. Hey South Carolina and Frank Martin liked him just 2 years ago and he's a tough SOB. I'm guessing KO may have even reached out to Frank?

Reaction Score
Adams right now is way more athletic than Shabazz imo.

I was talking about 'fairness' rhetorically, in that Shabazz was an amazing basketball player. He's got NBA game. He just doesn't have NBA size nor athletic ability, which kills him (see his shooting).

Ahh gotcha. My bad I misread you. Can we start doing hashtags like the teenagers do?

#onlyslighylysarcastic

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 12.56.02 PM.png

Reaction Score
Unreal move to post a computer screenshot of a tweet haha you just have to put the URL into the post and it embeds it automatically

... or maybe not today. Weird it won't load

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Unreal move to post a computer screenshot of a tweet haha you just have to put the URL into the post and it embeds it automatically

... or maybe not today. Weird it won't load

I screen-shotted it because he has a private account, if I embedded the tweet it wouldn't be available to the public.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Adams needs to get a lot better if he wants to enter the draft early. He's not a natural PG, but he isn't big enough and doesn't shoot well enough to play the 2 in the NBA. He needs to learn to finish with his left, improve his jumpshot, and cut down on the turnovers. He's got the height/athleticism, but Shabazz was a better shooter/PG.

I agree with this.

I don't think Adams is close to NBA ready.

IMO, in his own best interest, unless he goes full on Kemba, he should be a 4 year guy.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I remember Roscoe playing a fair bit of 4 next to Oriakhi.
That is correct. He wanted to play 3 but the staff saw him as a 4. He really was good at rebounding, DHam had that ability as well. Neither had the handle or consistent outside shot while here to make it as a three.
I think they saw that their physique/strength was not of the 4 at the NBA level and undoubtedly that (NBA) was where they aspired to end up. We have had others who we saw could best flourish for us in one position rather than another that was the more likely place they could possibly make it in the pro's. Interestingly Boat came to us as a scorer and more of a two. We needed him to be a one after Bazz and I believe JC convinced him that if he was going to be a pro it most certainly was going to be as a PG.

Reaction Score
Should we post screen shots of people's social media posts if their profiles are set to private? I'd say probably not...

As dumb as it is to have a private Twitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom