Eric Cobb commits to UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Eric Cobb commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Big man who can't finish? Well at least he'll be good fit.

Not anymore. Next year our bigs are Enoch, Durham and Larrier really. All offense, no defense. Scoring in the post isn't going to be the problem next year. Rebounding and defense are.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't like wasting multi-year scholarships on JUCO bigs who are slow, unathletic, and more defensively lost then anyone we have on the team which is Cobb.

I've seen this wasting scholarship BS over and over again... there's no such thing. Scholarships ARE NOT MULTIYEAR. They are year to year. Lot's of players have been encouraged to leave in the past. That is unless you believe these kids that transfer really want to "spend more time closer to my family." or a year or two at Fairfield or UMass.

Reaction Score
I've seen this wasting scholarship BS over and over again... there's no such thing. Scholarships ARE NOT MULTIYEAR. They are year to year. Lot's of players have been encouraged to leave in the past. That is unless you believe these kids that transfer really want to "spend more time closer to my family." or a year or two at Fairfield or UMass.

I thought the rules changes made scholarships now multiyear. They used to be year to year, but after the lawsuits, that changed.

Reaction Score
They needed a beefy big man. Not a 6'5" wing. Holy cow.

This is the 12th scholarship. You go for need.

Ollie now has no vision when recruiting.

Absolutely ridiculous.

You would give all the scholarships away for next year, 13, with no seniors!!!!
I would fill all the scholarships, that's what we're trying to do with Sid Wilson.

Reaction Score
I would fill all the scholarships, that's what we're trying to do with Sid Wilson.

I personally would not. 12 is enough payers. But when there are no seniors at all?

It is not an absolute given that Adams will leave next year. Shabazz came back for his senior year. I don't think it is a guarantee that Adams leaves.

Reaction Score
I have been following UConn basketball since 1963 and been a fanatic since the Bialosuknia teams. I have been on the Boneyard for more than ten years. After I moved from Connecticut it has been my primary information source. I appreciate you guys, or at least most of you. I never post but this signing drove me crazy enough to post. I am a big supporter of Ollie as coach. He frustrates me at times but so did Calhoun. So I am not one of those calling for his head. But I do agree that he has some things to prove next year. I am hoping we are consistently ranked in the top 25 next year and that we see the team grow as the season goes on and peak at tournament time, something we have grown to expect from UConn teams. I am rooting for Kevin and hope he can do it.

This all being said, I just don't get this signing. We had two scholarships available this year and next, assuming no one leaves early. We just used one up on a guy who is big but slow and seems less talented than Enoch. He doesn't complement Enoch. He has many of the same deficiencies. It would be one thing if we had five scholarships available. Then maybe you take on a project like this. But we are far from a complete team and now have only one scholarship left for 2018. I know some people assume Adams and/or Larrier are likely to leave early for the NBA but I don't think that is a high probability in either case. Larrier has missed two years of basketball and Adams is still a work in progress. I think they are both highly talented and glad they are Huskies but neither is close to NBA ready and likely won't be considered first round selections a year from now. If neither leave, we have room for one recruit. Let's say we have a legitimate shot at more than one of Jalen Carey, David Duke, Simi Shittu, Sidney Wilson, AJ Reeves and a few other blue chippers. We will have to pass because we used one of our two remaining scholarships on a guy who may not see much floor time and is mostly there for depth. Normally I don't second guess these decisions because I obviously figure Ollie and his staff are far more equipped than I am to judge talent and make these kind of decisions. But this is a real head scratcher. Is he overreacting to the short bench he had this year? Or is he really worried about Enoch's ability to fill that role next year and doesn't think any of the other options can provide valuable minutes. Or, as is my biggest fear, have we fallen so far that the coaching staff has no confidence that we have a real shot at bringing in the likes of Duke, Carey, Shittu, Wilson, Reeves, etc. I don't think this is the case but if it is this program has fallen a lot farther than most of us want to believe. Sorry about the negative post. It's not my style but like I said, I don't understand this signing.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I thought the rules changes made scholarships now multiyear. They used to be year to year, but after the lawsuits, that changed.

You're right they did change. I had forgotten about that. They NCAA website though is a bit vague on it (no surprise there.)

It seems they can, but don't have to offer multi year scholarships. That being said it looks like coaches have a huge amount of a latitude in revoking scholarships but it provides more security for the kids... an appeal process etc. That being said how many of the Calhoun transfers out of the program were flat out told to leave or their scholarship was being revoked.. I think many were not so subtly encouraged to find a new place to play or had a new place to play found for them. ;)

Reaction Score

I thought it was conference specific (maybe Big 10 & Pac12?) - I don't believe the NCAA mandates 4 year scholarships.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I have been following UConn basketball since 1963 and been a fanatic since the Bialosuknia teams. I have been on the Boneyard for more than ten years. After I moved from Connecticut it has been my primary information source. I appreciate you guys, or at least most of you. I never post but this signing drove me crazy enough to post. I am a big supporter of Ollie as coach. He frustrates me at times but so did Calhoun. So I am not one of those calling for his head. But I do agree that he has some things to prove next year. I am hoping we are consistently ranked in the top 25 next year and that we see the team grow as the season goes on and peak at tournament time, something we have grown to expect from UConn teams. I am rooting for Kevin and hope he can do it.

This all being said, I just don't get this signing. We had two scholarships available this year and next, assuming no one leaves early. We just used one up on a guy who is big but slow and seems less talented than Enoch. He doesn't complement Enoch. He has many of the same deficiencies. It would be one thing if we had five scholarships available. Then maybe you take on a project like this. But we are far from a complete team and now have only one scholarship left for 2018. I know some people assume Adams and/or Larrier are likely to leave early for the NBA but I don't think that is a high probability in either case. Larrier has missed two years of basketball and Adams is still a work in progress. I think they are both highly talented and glad they are Huskies but neither is close to NBA ready and likely won't be considered first round selections a year from now. If neither leave, we have room for one recruit. Let's say we have a legitimate shot at more than one of Jalen Carey, David Duke, Simi Shittu, Sidney Wilson, AJ Reeves and a few other blue chippers. We will have to pass because we used one of our two remaining scholarships on a guy who may not see much floor time and is mostly there for depth. Normally I don't second guess these decisions because I obviously figure Ollie and his staff are far more equipped than I am to judge talent and make these kind of decisions. But this is a real head scratcher. Is he overreacting to the short bench he had this year? Or is he really worried about Enoch's ability to fill that role next year and doesn't think any of the other options can provide valuable minutes. Or, as is my biggest fear, have we fallen so far that the coaching staff has no confidence that we have a real shot at bringing in the likes of Duke, Carey, Shittu, Wilson, Reeves, etc. I don't think this is the case but if it is this program has fallen a lot farther than most of us want to believe. Sorry about the negative post. It's not my style but like I said, I don't understand this signing.
Or, additional possibility, they know of a transfer or two leaving at the conclusion of the season...

Reaction Score
I personally would not. 12 is enough payers. But when there are no seniors at all?

It is not an absolute given that Adams will leave next year. Shabazz came back for his senior year. I don't think it is a guarantee that Adams leaves.
I'm with you there, I'd like to fill that scholarship with a grad transfer if anything. It's nice to think that Adams and Larrier leave after next year so we'll have 2 spots, and I think they do. But worst case (best case?) they both come back I'd like to have some options of bringing someone in

Beyond that it would leave us in a similar position 4 years later, when if we can't bring in any 2018 guys we'd have another year where we could have an empty senior class and have to deal with this again

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I thought it was conference specific (maybe Big 10 & Pac12?) - I don't believe the NCAA mandates 4 year scholarships.

It seems they don't have too...

also... I think we should have more than 15 minutes to edit posts... I just noticed the rampant "That being saids" in my post above. :(

H

huskymagic

This is a dumb post.

If only Kevin Ollie had you on the staff to tell him to look for tall guys who can shoot, pass and defend. I cannot believe he didn't think of it.

If only he hadn't accepted a kid who has had major offers for a few years now instead of waiting until you presented your pair of scrubs who didn't get any high-major sniffs until desperation time came around.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Fish this is not a good signing I don't get your infatuation with this guy. This also wastes a scholarship we could have used on good big men like the one I posted Epperson who is higher ranked than Carlton and has offers from West Virginia, Purdue, Cinci, Iowa, Illinois, etc. The guy is a good big who would have been able to contribute from day 1 who can defend, pass, and shoot. Also, we need an elite athlete wing like a Sid Wilson or a Zhaire Smith. I look at who can play and what they bring to the table and Corn on the Cobb doesn't do either.

We have more than enough players on the roster and only should add guys who can contribute immediately with all the problems and holes we have we can't afford to wait for a guy who will be ready to contribute when he graduates from UCONN. This pretty much confirms it to me that we are out of the Simi Shittu race. This Chippola pipeline recruiting to Storrs will not cut it for a program of our stature.

PS: If we don't start dominating and sending players to the NBA as first round picks that guard/wing recruiting well will dry up as well

Reaction Score
I don't know that this is such a bad signing. It isn't like we have a stable of talented bigs coming back. The guys we have are either unproven or coming back from injury or both. Enoch might improve or he might never make the jump. All we heard off season was how great he played in the summer but when games counted he was the same big slow foul machine who missed layups. At worst Cobb is Enoch 2.0 but he also did get recruited by a D1 program and has played at this level. Hopefully he isn't a dope and keeps away from guns and weed and steps up and plays a role for us.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Back to Travis Knight. I always thought he looked like Andy Kaufman. Anyone agree? P.S. doppelgangers are my avocation.

Reaction Score
Epperson is not a day 1 contributor -- dude needs 20 pounds and will get pushed around big time for a couple of years.

Reaction Score

More scholarships will likely open up so we can go after big man talent, I just hope we can get them. As far as you not being as qualified to judge talent, I would say not so fast because IMO KO and his staff has not done a great job of projecting talent into this program. Maybe it was all they could get but they have to own their players. How many guys do we play against that eat our lunch down low? We are the 4 time national champs with the high profile. Next year is a very big year with all his players back and healthy. It will be time for results.

C

Chief00

As we all know losing Clyde Vaughan was a big blow for this program, we've never replaced what he brought to the table.

Bingo. George did a decent job though teaching offense.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score

Disregarding the fact that this may not be true, I always hated this practice. This is college ball - coaches should not be GMs. Do your recruiting homework and make sound bets. At worst you have someone on the bench for 4 years, or they decide to make a change under their own volition. Kids should not be forced out of a program.

Reaction Score
get the kid to campus now somehow and training every day with Purvis

I'm hoping we have some more Purvis' in the locker room next year who will be pushing it in the weight room. I feel like Facey certainly became a pretty shredded beast for this season. I know at least for OUR freshmen, Vital is pretty built, and I think Gilbert as well.

It seems to me this kid has already trimmed down a tiny bit if he was so big that he could only play for 5 minutes at a time, get him running up horsebarn hill and we'll have a more conditioned player for the start of next season. We can all bicker and argue but I like that we added a JUCO big, there's definitely going to be a lot of bodies in the frontcourt next year, so hopefully they like each other and really go to battle out there. I'm hoping we have a dynamic group that Ollie can use to throw different looks at teams at different times, and it definitely seems we'll be able to weather some foul trouble, which for us is a very good thing.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Disregarding the fact that this may not be true, I always hated this practice. This is college ball - coaches should not be GMs. Do your recruiting homework and make sound bets. At worst you have someone on the bench for 4 years, or they decide to make a change under their own volition. Kids should not be forced out of a program.

I'm not a big fan of it either... and UConn has seemed to handle it pretty well for the most part. It all depends on the kid though... if the kid really isn't going to see the floor and he wants to play having him go to another school is probably in his best interest.

Reaction Score

Shabazz came back because he had to. His height is detrimental. Jalen is a perfect PG height for the league

Reaction Score
It's possible, just possible, that KO knows more about our pending scholarship availability than we do. He also may already know Epperson isn't coming here. He also may already be speaking with grad transfers and know who is a no, and who is a maybe. I'm just theorizing that he many have a better handle on these topics than we do.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Shabazz had to. Adams is light years ahead when it comes to an NBA projection/potential. Mainly cause of his size and athleticism. Is it fair? No, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom