Enoch is transferring | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Enoch is transferring

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, all we can do is root for the players who remain. I hate to see Steve go, and I would hate to see Vance and especially Alterique go. But the program is bigger than any of them. The program is bigger than KO. I may be putting too much faith into someone I know very little about, but I truly believe we are in very good hands with Dave Benedict as our AD. And even if some of the rumors hit, today could still be a net positive, albeit disappointing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Alright I agree - sort of an above and beyond post. I'll dial back.

You could say Brimah was an absolute liability on offense, it was hard to watch unless he caught a Daniel Hamilton alley-oop at the rim. His chase down blocks and shot altering were formidable, yes. Enoch was essentially, or on the track to be the opposite player. Good on offense, bad on defense. But how do you get so bad at defense? How does it get that bad without even a slight improvement? You could also argue Brimah's defense never really got better over time.

To me Brimah got all the chances in the world to succeed on offense. But Enoch didn't get those chances to succeed on defense. It was always a missed assignment and a quick hook.

The problem is that you can hide guys on offense to an extent, but it's impossible to do the same on D. Especially at the center position. Layup/O-reb city.

C

Chief00

husky99 is saying AG and VJ are leaving. Is he credible? Have a serious love hate for this stupid message board
I have been hearing that / was hoping Enoch was persuadable

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The problem is that you can hide guys on offense to an extent, but it's impossible to do the same on D. Especially at the center position. Layup/O-reb city.
I'll agree there, but to an extent running an offensive set with 4 players is very difficult as well. Especially when the center sets these baby soft screens.

Reaction Score
I have been highlighting lack of Big development and poor S&C program for two years and every step of the way you have disagreed. Here we are and the events of this week speak for themselves.

Chief has shown some cred on some big surprises. He was all over Drummond, the Diaco firing, he hated the S&C guy and he hated Miller. He was ridiculed for all of these forecasts and opinions. To deny that he's made some good calls is dishonest. It doesn't matter that he's said some inaccurate things, I still like when he posts a rumor, because they tend to be true.

Reaction Score
Chief has shown some cred on some big surprises. He was all over Drummond, the Diaco firing, he hated the S&C guy and he hated Miller. He was ridiculed for all of these forecasts and opinions. To deny that he's made some good calls is dishonest. It doesn't matter that he's said some inaccurate things, I still like when he posts a rumor, because they tend to be true.

If you post 75 rumors and 2 are true, are you really worthwhile?

Reaction Score
Not even Diamond Stone would have taken minutes from Brimah. Ollie cemented him as "the center." Probably would have tried to play them both at the same time.

I think Steve got a bad deal here, but that's just me.

I think that is just you.

Enoch couldn't stay on the floor because he was lost on defense. Completely lost. On offense he'd show signs of decent moves, but shot 41% from the field this year. FORTY-ONE.

His numbers were ugly. 3 points, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls and 1 turnover per game, and he was a defensive liability.

Reaction Score
Alright I agree - sort of an above and beyond post. I'll dial back.

You could say Brimah was an absolute liability on offense, it was hard to watch unless he caught a Daniel Hamilton alley-oop at the rim. His chase down blocks and shot altering were formidable, yes. Enoch was essentially, or on the track to be the opposite player. Good on offense, bad on defense. But how do you get so bad at defense? How does it get that bad without even a slight improvement? You could also argue Brimah's defense never really got better over time.

To me Brimah got all the chances in the world to succeed on offense. But Enoch didn't get those chances to succeed on defense. It was always a missed assignment and a quick hook.
Some of ya'll overrate the hell outta Enoch's offense, dude was good for a moment here and there where he put together some offense but most of the time his moves in the post led to bricks and airballs. Just because the initial moves looked smoother than Brimah's it didn't really mean much if dude was shooting a terrible percentage 10ft from the rim.

Reaction Score
Usually, transfers hurt your depth, not your core. If UConn's core remains in tact, there are many ways the depth can be immediately replenished. I have yet to hear a credible source mention a name that will cripple next season.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Some of ya'll overrate the hell outta Enoch's offense, dude was good for a moment here and there where he put together some offense but most of the time his moves in the post led to bricks and airballs. Just because the initial moves looked smoother than Brimah's it didn't really mean much if dude was shooting a terrible percentage 10ft from the rim.
At the same time, Facey and Durham shot under 50% from the field. But to each their own, I was high on Enoch throughout high school and his time here. Call me bitter to see him leave like this I guess.

Only can move forward though. Hopefully Diarra comes in and is a stud. Or someone idc who.

Reaction Score
At the same time, Facey and Durham shot under 50% from the field. But to each their own, I was high on Enoch throughout high school and his time here. Call me bitter to see him leave like this I guess.

Only can move forward though. Hopefully Diarra comes in and is a stud. Or someone idc who.
I didn't want him to leave, I just don't feel that KO did him some injustice by not playing him ahead of Brimah. If you want to blame the staff for not having him prepared is another story, but he got his opportunities to play and for the most part it wasn't pretty. I believe it was @Matrim55 who posted his ESPN scouting report from coming out of HS about how he was a product of the workout generation and lacked a feel for how to operate in a structured game setting and given what we saw the past couple of years its hard to argue with that assessment.

Reaction Score

He looked the part of a center but he didn't play it. It sucks that there is no depth but if he didn't have confidence that he would get big minutes next year then maybe this is for the best...

Reaction Score
Are people really surprised by the moves? We just finished with a listing record. There are going to be people leaving under these circumstances and hopefully a good coach brought in to stabilized the staff. KO definitely is being pressured by Benedict to produce as we can't become irrelevant in the college basketball landscape. What would we have then? Just UCONN Women's b-ball?

Enoch had nice post moves but had no feel for the game especially on defense. I hope we can bring in a post grad player who can be consistent down low.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think that is just you.

Enoch couldn't stay on the floor because he was lost on defense. Completely lost. On offense he'd show signs of decent moves, but shot 41% from the field this year. FORTY-ONE.

His numbers were ugly. 3 points, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls and 1 turnover per game, and he was a defensive liability.
BUT he looked so much like what a great big should look like.

pj

Reaction Score
FWIW Oz, on TOS, says Alterique isn't going anywhere.

That's the best news in this thread. All of the other moves are potential improvements to the roster and staff. Alterique would be a big-time loss, and moreover it would be psychically bad, as it would make all the other losses look like fleeing a sinking ship rather than weaker players and staff leaving because the program is upgrading.

Reaction Score
There is your answer, of course it's not about playing time. Enoch came in raw with tools and two years later is still raw with tools. He cares about his future and wants to make the league. He looks at himself and isn't seeing the development and looks around at other UConn big men and isn't seeing the development.

One wonders how Phil Nolan or Olander figured it out. They didn't have an ounce of the Ability that Enoch has, and yet they were in defensive position. They certainly weren't lost.

The outcome of this: Enoch is going to go to someplace and play a lot if it's a low major, or he will go to a place and sit the bench because his new mid major coach will not tolerate defensive lapses. Meanwhile, Uconns reputation for not developing Brimah, Facey and Enoch will hurt badly in recruiting. Rinse and repeat.

UConn needs to go back to recruiting solid if underwhelming bigs as in the past. Hopefully Carlton is just such a kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom