Enoch Benched vs UCF | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Enoch Benched vs UCF

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Enoch is very perplexing. Sometimes he looks great in the post, but he misses the easiest layups. He is easy to strip, like all of our other bigs, as well. I don't think KO is worried about hurting his feelings by recruiting over him. They will recruit the best bigs that they can. He still has a chance to be good, but he needs to put more than 2 consecutive minutes of good basketball together.
I agree but he has put more than 2 minutes together in the past BUT he needs to stay out of foul trouble so he can be out there more than 2 minutes - as of late that has been an issue

Reaction Score
Terrible bigs beget terrible bigs.

When you spend your early years practicing against Olander, you get Nolan.
When you spend your early years practicing against Nolan, you get Facey and Brimah.
When you spend your early years practicing against Facey and Brimah, you get Enoch.

Conversely, look how Hilton Armstrong, Gavin Edwards, etc., developed practicing against Okafor, Villanueva, Boone, Adrien, Thabeet.

It's a vicious cycle that somebody has to break. I hope Durham is that guy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Gavin Edwards and Hilton Armstrong both stunk out loud for three years before having solid senior seasons. Neither one managed to average three points or three rebounds through their sophomore years, so that measuring stick doesn't hold up.

I'm not worried about Enoch. Some bigs develop slowly and this kid is very young.

Reaction Score
Gavin Edwards and Hilton Armstrong both stunk out loud for three years before having solid senior seasons. Neither one managed to average three points or three rebounds through their sophomore years, so that measuring stick doesn't hold up.

Were they bad players or were they just buried on the depth chart?

Facey has been given ample opportunities to seize the starting 4 position, and only did so this year. Brimah was anointed the starting center and has been force fed minutes because we had no alternative.

Comparing that to Edwards and Armstrong doesn't make sense, given that both of those guys were the #3 or #4 option in the frontcourt (due to the presence of the better players that I pointed out, who they learned from).

Enoch may yet come along, though the returns haven't been great so far.

My point is simply: it would make sense for bigs to develop more quickly when practicing against studs than when practicing against duds, and I think we're seeing evidence of that.

Reaction Score
My point is simply: it would make sense for bigs to develop more quickly when practicing against studs than when practicing against duds, and I think we're seeing evidence of that.

Your evidence was almost immediately refuted, though, by past history. Hilton was not buried on the depth chart, he actually spent time in the starting lineup earlier in his career essentially occupying space. He was a different player as a senior than he was the preceding three years. Probably the most dramatic change I can recall. The point being that when you have a young (in Enoch's case, very young) big man, you have to be patient.

Reaction Score
Was it Calhoun (or Chris Smith) who had a defensive drill where your hands and arms had to be at your side? Enoch could use that drill, but they need to tie his hands to his body.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Was it Calhoun (or Chris Smith) who had a defensive drill where your hands and arms had to be at your side? Enoch could use that drill, but they need to tie his hands to his body.
I still like my idea better. Between Steve and Amida I think there is validity that big dudes, like dinosaurs, need a second brain to keep track of their arms and legs.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Gavin, Hilton and Kentan were all in a different stratosphere of recruiting rankings than Enoch was. Their development led to them fulfilling expectations. Enoch would have to take a massive leap as a player to reach that level.

I hope he does, but I wouldn't hold my breath, either.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It appears Enoch is a 4 yr project.. we'll get the most out of him the last 2 years.. He's never been an immediate impact type frontcourt player... I just hope that the light comes on in the Fall of 2017...and he finally "gets it"....

He needs to put in the work this Summer. Not overseas either... Big Man camps in the USA.... train with a top notch coach of big men. He's gotta get more aggressive/assertive... aggressive on the glass as well as assert himself on the offensive end. He has that soft feathery touch in the post to take his man...
This is a recurrent theme for the past few seasons. It would be informative to me if some of the more knowledgeable BY members commented on this. First of all I am pretty sure no one can be forced to go to "big man camp". Is it against NCAA rules to bring our own "big man" coach on campus in the offseason to put the bigs who want this training
the opportunity? I mean if they are so "slow to develop" couldn't they be helped to speed it up a bit? After all, is it not in their best interests ($) at the end of their college career? No doubt I am probably oversimplifying this. One thing I remember clearly was the summer when Kemba went away with the Pro/amateur team and said practicing against Rondo showed him that he had some holes in his game which he really worked on. The result was the NC season and on to top draft status and a great NBA career. Hope to hear why intense training in the offseason is not more available for those who need to iron out weaknesses and build up their game.

Reaction Score
For the rest of this season SE needs to get 10 to 15 minutes a game minimum. There are issues but coach him up and give him a chance. The work he needs to put in in the off season to get quicker, stronger etc. is paramount to his being a starter next year but he needs to get time now. In the off season Ollie needs to self examine whether he is getting the most out of his bigs with the coaches he has on staff. SE has great instincts on the offensive end and just needs to improve on his ratio of made shots. A quicker SE will be a good rebounder. Defense is something that can be taught. Imagine Corny Thompson in that body. We have to keep working to make Steve better. It will pay off.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Terrible bigs beget terrible bigs.

When you spend your early years practicing against Olander, you get Nolan.
When you spend your early years practicing against Nolan, you get Facey and Brimah.
When you spend your early years practicing against Facey and Brimah, you get Enoch.

Conversely, look how Hilton Armstrong, Gavin Edwards, etc., developed practicing against Okafor, Villanueva, Boone, Adrien, Thabeet.

It's a vicious cycle that somebody has to break. I hope Durham is that guy.
Great post. Makes sense. If I remember correctly Thabeet was a huge project. Back then if you said anything remotely bad about him you were shot, hung and chastised. I could say it now I really didn't care for the kid. But that's just me. I guess when you are 7 feet it's okay. Look at Fall. If it wasn't for the height, I would think Enoch is better. Enoch does have a nice hook. It's those rim clangers from 6 inches away that drives everyone nuts.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Patience must be shown with Enoch. People were ready to write Facey off earlier in the year and he's turning out to be quite a player now. Bigs typically take longer to develop. Enoch has all the right moves on offense. He just needs to finish. Which will come in time. He is a big body and will be a big rebounder when the game slows down for him. Hopefully he really picks it up on defense. He is still only 19 years old.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I wish they would have redshirted him last year as he needs time being only 19 still.
I think he can be a solid player he just needs to work harder on defense positioning

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about this. Was Edwards even ranked? I just remember his HS coach saying he wasn't good enough for the Big East. And Hilton was a 3-star, choosing UConn over LaSalle.

Think he's saying that Enoch was a much more highly touted recruit than those three guys.

Reaction Score
Gavin, Hilton and Kentan were all in a different stratosphere of recruiting rankings than Enoch was. Their development led to them fulfilling expectations. Enoch would have to take a massive leap as a player to reach that level.

Gavin and Hilton yea, Facey no. Facey had an RSCI of 81, Enoch 66. The way they both blew up over one spring/summer recruiting period is also pretty similar.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Enoch, Hilton and Kentan were all fairly similarly ranked at the time. Close enough for this comparison, anyway.

No one had ever heard of Edwards and he wasn't ranked, period.

It probably didn't help that his high school coach told everyone, including me, that the kid wasn't close to being a DI basketball player.

Reaction Score
Based on our last win some may think we are going to surge our way to the NCAA or win the AAC tourney. If that is true then play Brimah and Facey as much as possible and Enoch minimal as has happened. I have no problem with those guys playing but they aren't taking us to where we need to go. Enoch has the offensive skills but he needs defense, and PT to try to get it better. I personally think that Enoch needs to play every minute he can or until he fouls out for experience as a building block for next season. If he flames out and doesn't improve what are we really losing if we are not going to the postseason anyway? I know that this does not jive with KO's thoughts, as his number one priority is to try to save this season at all costs. We are short benched enough that everyone can get in but it's s mistake to bench Enoch.

Reaction Score
Enoch, Hilton and Kentan were all fairly similarly ranked at the time. Close enough for this comparison, anyway.

No one had ever heard of Edwards and he wasn't ranked, period.

It probably didn't help that his high school coach told everyone, including me, that the kid wasn't close to being a DI basketball player.

How about Jake V, he wasn't too close to top 100 was he? It was the shooting guard Michael ? that was the guy they were actually looking at originally if I remember correctly. But I'm so old I can't remember his damn name so I could be way off.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
How about Jake V, he wasn't too close to top 100 was he? It was the shooting guard Michael ? that was the guy they were actually looking at originally if I remember correctly. But I'm so old I can't remember his damn name so I could be way off.
Mike Leblanc, I believe, although I thought he was a SF. I don't think he saw any playing time while at UConn. Jake was the big surprise of that duo. The more old games I watch, I realize that Jake was better than I thought from the very start. He was playing very smart basketball as a sophomore and was a really tough kid. His lateral movement on defense was really good. Not Emeka-like, but very good for his size.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Maybe he would do better at playing the four instead of coming in as the primary shot blocker. He's not used to protecting the rim. I think he'll be a very good player by the time he leaves. He has much to learn defensively and set a screen without moving. Better d on the perimeter can help him now

C

chiller99.5

A different way of looking at lack of growth and progress with Enoch is who he practices against. He cant match Brimah on the boards or defensively and doesnt seem to have the hustle and aggressiveness of Facey. He still just seems to be the big kid in high school he gets set up to score by the rest of the team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He misses too many bunnies for a guy that seems to have decent touch. I'd like to see him make himself money right around the rim. Work on move and counter-move and using the glass.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
For some reason I forgot that Gavin's coach did, in fact, downplay him to everyone on Earth. Getting old sucks.

Reaction Score

That's every defensive-minded coach in the history of the game, lol. Anyone worth their salt knows defense begins and ends with your feet. Calhoun was worth a hell of a lot of salt.

Crazy thing with Enoch is that he will play pretty solid D some time--at least not foul--and then the next game he's got two ridiculous fouls in a few minutes. You know the coaches are teaching him what to do; he just doesn't have the mentality to bring it to the game. Same with Rodney and travels, etc.

If you're suggested Enoch is a PF you're nuts. Nowhere near enough skill, and our floor spacing would make me want to vomit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom