Enoch Benched vs UCF | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Enoch Benched vs UCF

Reaction Score
For some reason I forgot that Gavin's coach did, in fact, downplay him to everyone on Earth. Getting old sucks.

There is a failing in this internet Boneyard ... use your eyes.

Enoch is struggling; and clearly, Kevin Ollie is not using him because of his defensive deficiencies; but that kid is athletic and has the goods in terms of hands and quickness (and I have always thought hands is a far underrated skill for hoop). He simply is not of lesser qualitative stock than Armstrong or Edwards coming in. And contrast to Tacko Fall ... is a recently turned 18 year old to a 21 year old and nothing compares to 7'6". I will continue to read the dismissive posts and hope. The clear need is for more and more game experience (and being in a daily scrum with Brimah, Facey, Durham ... and later Diarra etc) is invaluable. The summer posting in something really demanding is necessary.

The real test ... IMHO ... is how much does this kid want it. A smidge of that answer comes at us in his next game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would not mind seeing Enoch red shirt next year (assuming that we will have someone on the staff who can develop bigs).

He had more than enough size/athleticism to be a contributor but his skill level is abysmal. With the right amount of teaching we could get a couple of decent years out of him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about this. Was Edwards even ranked? I just remember his HS coach saying he wasn't good enough for the Big East. And Hilton was a 3-star, choosing UConn over LaSalle.

I think Enoch was ranked higher than all of them

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Based on our last win some may think we are going to surge our way to the NCAA or win the AAC tourney. If that is true then play Brimah and Facey as much as possible and Enoch minimal as has happened. I have no problem with those guys playing but they aren't taking us to where we need to go. Enoch has the offensive skills but he needs defense, and PT to try to get it better. I personally think that Enoch needs to play every minute he can or until he fouls out for experience as a building block for next season. If he flames out and doesn't improve what are we really losing if we are not going to the postseason anyway? I know that this does not jive with KO's thoughts, as his number one priority is to try to save this season at all costs. We are short benched enough that everyone can get in but it's s mistake to bench Enoch.
Sometimes kids learn from being benched. I think KO knows SE better than you or me.
SE would foul out within 10 minutes if left in that long vs any decent big man

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How about Jake V, he wasn't too close to top 100 was he? It was the shooting guard Michael ? that was the guy they were actually looking at originally if I remember correctly. But I'm so old I can't remember his damn name so I could be way off.

Jake was largely considered a top 100 recruit.

LeBlanc was considered the better player - top 65 or so - but Jake was not a throw-in.

Jake actually committed first - Mike committed in November on the first day of the signing period, but Jake was already signed up. Q Hardnett committed a few days after that.

Ultimately, LeBlanc just wasn't very good. He bounced from UConn to Vandy to Houston Baptist and didn't impress anywhere.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I would not mind seeing Enoch red shirt next year (assuming that we will have someone on the staff who can develop bigs).

He had more than enough size/athleticism to be a contributor but his skill level is abysmal. With the right amount of teaching we could get a couple of decent years out of him.

I could live with that.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Exactly,
Patience must be shown with Enoch. People were ready to write Facey off earlier in the year and he's turning out to be quite a player now. Bigs typically take longer to develop. Enoch has all the right moves on offense. He just needs to finish. Which will come in time. He is a big body and will be a big rebounder when the game slows down for him. Hopefully he really picks it up on defense. He is still only 19 years old.
Steve has good hands, gets good position on offense and has good mechanics on his offensive moves. He lacks confidence...when things start to click for him, he will finish at close to 60%. His court awareness on defense is poor. He is a good athlete and runs from end to end faster than most big men. His appearance of being slow-footed is largely due to the lack of court awareness. Give him time!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I know the contact time with the coaching staff is limited. He should get some extra time with whoever on the women's staff has been working with Napheesa Collier. That woman plays textbook interior basketball and is at least 50% better at it than last year!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Maybe Ollie is pushing buttons, hope it works

Maybe he's getting tougher

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I know the contact time with the coaching staff is limited. He should get some extra time with whoever on the women's staff has been working with Napheesa Collier. That woman plays textbook interior basketball and is at least 50% better at it than last year!
The end justifies the means. Whatever it takes. I cannot believe that our bigs are unmotivated, lack the requisite intellect and/or physical tools to develop. This is a team game
although a lot of folks both in the game and those watching it may not buy that. I am not criticizing any particular person either on the staff or team. If there has been an overemphasis on guard play and spacing at the expense of interior play (both offense and defense) then it needs correction. Bottom line: you cannot get around fundamentals.
Interestingly, exhibit "A" is right on the campus. Hard to deny it when it is right in your back yard.

Reaction Score

Oh harry, I am sure there is someone on the men's staff as capable as anyone on the womens staff to teach these guys. I also believe Collier is probably smarter on the court and she can bring what she is taught to the court after her drills where as some just can't. And then there's the competition, it's not like anyone is moving fast or jumping high to block her shots. She's fantastic, but really good fundamentals with a good skill set is a winner in the womens game immediately. Not the same world. But I do love her footwork wish all of our bigs had the ability to do that on the court.

Reaction Score
Oh harry, I am sure there is someone on the men's staff as capable as anyone on the womens staff to teach these guys. I also believe Collier is probably smarter on the court and she can bring what she is taught to the court after her drills where as some just can't. And then there's the competition, it's not like anyone is moving fast or jumping high to block her shots. She's fantastic, but really good fundamentals with a good skill set is a winner in the womens game immediately. Not the same world. But I do love her footwork wish all of our bigs had the ability to do that on the court.
I don't want to hijack this thread but have the women every played better than last night. They looked like they were running practice drills against a top 20 team. I know it's women's hoops:rolleyes: but an amazing display last night.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don't think harry was serious about having someone on the women's team help out. Definitely Collier is a special player for the women. She's money from five feet and closer. What a change from last season to this. She and Williams remind me of KFree if you put the two of them together.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The end justifies the means. Whatever it takes. I cannot believe that our bigs are unmotivated, lack the requisite intellect and/or physical tools to develop. This is a team game
although a lot of folks both in the game and those watching it may not buy that. I am not criticizing any particular person either on the staff or team. If there has been an overemphasis on guard play and spacing at the expense of interior play (both offense and defense) then it needs correction. Bottom line: you cannot get around fundamentals.
Interestingly, exhibit "A" is right on the campus. Hard to deny it when it is right in your back yard.

I'm not sure KO would have chosen three bigs (Amida, Kentan and Steve) who were new to the game if the apr sanctions weren't in place to hobble recruiting.

Durham and Brown have played much longer and once the apr restrictions were lifted KO was able to recruit more experienced bigs who would have been able to learn more quickly. And then Durham gets a second ACL tear and Brown loses control. Best we can do is be patient and hope Steve and Durham make big leaps next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom