Emmitt Matthews Jr Commits to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Emmitt Matthews Jr Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Well TL will definitely see some time at PF this year like he did last year. Either way I think EM is being groomed more as a 3 as his handle doesn't seem tight enough to play 2 at UCONN. He might see some spot minutes at the 2 and the 4 but I see him more of a 3. I think Sid Willson will play the 4 when they are in together. That is why I think we can still sell JC on playing the 2 and some 1 here at UCONN.

Exactly. Thanks for proving my point WingU!

Reaction Score
Gentlemen - is there any other reason than "having to be right" that you are getting pissy with each other with this argument about whether Mr. Matthews will be a 2, 3 or 4 here at UConn?

Our head coach has said over and over and over again... he wants players that are versatile and can play multiple positions depending upon situations and matchups within each game to execute his schemes. Matthews' game fits the mold of proto-typical Kevin Ollie player. That is seemingly a great thing for our program's future.

Why would you be stubborn about an argument that has no basis in fact based upon what our coach has said and done for 5 years whenever he had the players and versatility to execute his schemes?

For example: WingU-Conn, you tend to make good points in other threads... so why would you continue to argue that Matthews will never play the 4, when we all saw Niels Giffey play the 5, even in a National Championship game?
"Matthews is never going to play the 4." I will take the other side of that and all but guarantee that at some point Matthews will be playing the 4 in a game... in addition to the 2 and 3. I base that on the only thing that should really count: proof of actual games coached by KO.

Better to speculate on all the different combinations that KO and staff might come up with to best utilize this young man's blossoming talents once he is here, don't you think? Much more fun, too.

Agreed. This is why I defended the original poster who was getting crushed for saying he'd play more 4 than 2. He may be wrong, but everyone was acting like it was an insane thing to say.

Reaction Score
Okay, I take it back. Sure Ollie COULD play Matthews at the four, if the rest of our frontcourt is so bad/injured/foul prone he has no choice but to play a guard there, then yeah, it could happen.

If Matthews plays the 4, then we swung and missed on Diarra, Williams, Cobb, Whaley, Carlton, and potentially Polley, and whoever else we bring in for the frontcourt in the next few years.

I don't see a frontcourt as thin as when Giffey played.

@3rdbass Same with Larrier last year. Durham wasn't ready, Diarra was out for the year, Facey had to spell Brimah at the 5, because Enoch couldn't stay on the floor, and no we had no frontcourt depth at all. If Larrier plays anything more than a few minutes at the 4 it's because we have nothing but freshman and juco transfers in the frontcourt who aren't ready to contribute. not because that's where he is best suited to play.

Jackson, who is 50 pounds heavier, played the 4 and transferred because of it.

Yes, Matthews could play the 4 out of necessity, you're right. But he's not more likely to play the 4 than the 2. His skills are 2/3. Not 4.

Reaction Score
Okay, I take it back. Sure Ollie COULD play Matthews at the four, if the rest of our frontcourt is so bad/injured/foul prone he has no choice but to play a guard there, then yeah, it could happen.

If Matthews plays the 4, then we swung and missed on Diarra, Williams, Cobb, Whaley, Carlton, and potentially Polley, and whoever else we bring in for the frontcourt in the next few years.

@3rdbass Same with Larrier last year. Durham wasn't ready, Diarra was out for the year, Facey had to spell Brimah at the 5, because Enoch couldn't stay on the floor, and no we had no frontcourt depth at all. If Larrier plays anything more than a few minutes at the 4 it's because we have nothing but freshman and juco transfers in the frontcourt who aren't ready to contribute. not because that's where he is best suited to play.

Yes, Matthews could play the 4 out of necessity, you're right. But he's not more likely to play the 4 than the 2. His skills are 2/3. Not 4.

Vance Jackson and his father were a head case. They would never be happy here it seemed.

The college game has changed as there are players that play the PF with Larrier's size. I mean look at Villanova year in and year out with undersized 4's. I bet you TL plays more than a few minutes at the 4 this year with a small lineup at times. It will be a big advantage to us scoring points if we can go small. We have him and Williams Polley and hopefully Wilson who are interchangeable at the 3 or 4. I don't think we will have this defined 4 like Diarra who I can see playing center at times. I think with our present talent , hoping that Wilson can play immediately, we just have a better lineup going small this year. None of our bigs can really play together as they just don't have the offensive skills to do so or are too young right now.

Reaction Score
I think with our present talent , hoping that Wilson can play immediately, we just have a better lineup going small this year. None of our bigs can really play together as they just don't have the offensive skills to do so or are too young right now.

Yup, if Larrier plays the 4 it's because our frontcourt isn't very good. Same with Matthews.

Reaction Score
Yup, if Larrier plays the 4 it's because our frontcourt isn't very good. Same with Matthews.

Partially right but not completely. I mean there may be times they will play "small" because they need to score the ball and maybe the new front court is a bit short on offensive ability right? Tough even for a great trio like AG, JA and TL to get open space with 2 guys who can't score the ball so only at times and certain match ups could we see maybe 3 guards and Terry with a Cobb or alike or even 2 guars, Polley and Terry with a 5.

But we do need to be able to put 2 big rebounding bodies out there most often to be really effective I agree.

Reaction Score
I don't think we'll being seeing much Matthews at the 4. I have faith in the future of the UConn front court. I think Mamadou and Carlton are both going to be really good. Williams may take some getting used to D1 but I think he will give us great energy, rebounding, and jumping ability at the 4. Whaley will take a year or two but I could see him averaging 10 and 8 before he graduates. Matthews will likely split his time between the 2 and 3.

Reaction Score
I don't think we'll being seeing much Matthews at the 4. I have faith in the future of the UConn front court. I think Mamadou and Carlton are both going to be really good. Williams may take some getting used to D1 but I think he will give us great energy, rebounding, and jumping ability at the 4. Whaley will take a year or two but I could see him averaging 10 and 8 before he graduates. Matthews will likely split his time between the 2 and 3.
I think we have no idea how any our bigs are going to do. It really is a crapshoot as we have no sure thing up front. That is why predicting a lineup with this many question marks going into the season is not worth it. The only people we have an idea on are JA, , CV while to a lesser extent AG and TL. That is why you see alot of posters going with the small lineup because at least we have an idea these players can score which has been our Achilles heel the last few years. Playing with two non scoring bigs last year was crippling at times.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Partially right but not completely. I mean there may be times they will play "small" because they need to score the ball and maybe the new front court is a bit short on offensive ability right? Tough even for a great trio like AG, JA and TL to get open space with 2 guys who can't score the ball so only at times and certain match ups could we see maybe 3 guards and Terry with a Cobb or alike or even 2 guars, Polley and Terry with a 5.

But we do need to be able to put 2 big rebounding bodies out there most often to be really effective I agree.
Exactly. If KO utilizes TL at the 4 because he wants to go small and create match up problems like the 2014 terrific. If he plays TL at the 4 because none of the bigs are decent we can be in trouble.

Reaction Score
Not saying they aren’t out there, but does anyone have a link in which it states Matthews has grown to 6’9? I haven’t seen it, but a few people have mentioned it.

The 6'9 statement comes from a Washington State high school coach that KansasHusky reported on Sept 19th in the other Emmitt Mathews thread. I tried to link that quote with yours in this reply, but evidently I'm too technologically challenged

Reaction Score
Larrier, Polley and Williams could all play some 4. The determining factor will be matchups and most importantly, if one of them turns out to be a great rebounder. Much easier to play a small 4 with offensive skills if he plays good D and has a nose for the ball. I suspect KO actually does see the roster as 5's, PGs, and everyone else. From there it will be situational.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The 6'9 statement comes from a Washington State high school coach that KansasHusky reported on Sept 19th in the other Emmitt Mathews thread. I tried to link that quote with yours in this reply, but evidently I'm too technologically challenged

That was from me. To make my wording clear, he is 6'7 now, but growing and supposed to top out at 6'9. He was 6'4 last March.

Reaction Score
That was from me. To make my wording clear, he is 6'7 now, but growing and supposed to top out at 6'9. He was 6'4 last March.
Thanks boys

Reaction Score
Larrier, Polley and Williams could all play some 4. The determining factor will be matchups and most importantly, if one of them turns out to be a great rebounder. Much easier to play a small 4 with offensive skills if he plays good D and has a nose for the ball. I suspect KO actually does see the roster as 5's, PGs, and everyone else. From there it will be situational.

Williams will play the 4 because he is a 4

Reaction Score
Exactly. If KO utilizes TL at the 4 because he wants to go small and create match up problems like the 2014 terrific. If he plays TL at the 4 because none of the bigs are decent we can be in trouble.

It will probably be a little of column A and a little of column B.

There is a not-insignificant chance that, at least this year, zero of our frontcourt players (Cobb, Carlton, Onuorah, Whaley, Diarra, Williams) are UConn-caliber. The law of probabilities is in our favor that not all of them are busts, but who of that group do you look at and say "yup, that's the guy"?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Everybody knows UConn. It's a storied program. Shabazz [Napier] holding his jersey up, telling everybody, 'I told you so.'

Yeah, this is the main quote I was thinking of. How do you watch that on TV as a young basketball player and not want to come play for UConn? Love that it resonated with Matthews.

Reaction Score
Wait, I thought today's recruits didn't even know who Shabazz was?

Reaction Score

You say you don't see a frontcourt as thin as when Giffey played. How do we know this? Out frontcourt could be good but to my knowledge no one has played yet and Larrier and Diarra are coming off injuries.

Reaction Score
You say you don't see a frontcourt as thin as when Giffey played. How do we know this? Out frontcourt could be good but to my knowledge no one has played yet and Larrier and Diarra are coming off injuries.
We don't "know". Like everyone else, I'm speculating.

We're also talking about 2018-19, so Larrier is irrelevant, he won't be around next year.

2013/14 - Brimah (FR), Nolan (SO), Olander (SR), Facey (FR) and Daniels (JR).
2018/19 - Cobb (SR), Williams (JR), Diarra (R.SO), Carlton (SO), Whaley (SO), and maybe even Polley (SO) and/or Wilson (R. FR) available to "go small".

In 13/14 there were 4 guys who could play the 4 and nothing else.
In 18/19 there will be at least 5, possibly 6 or 7 players with experience before "I" get to Matthews.

Polley/Wilson have similar builds but (IMO) are already wing players who could likely transition to a stretch 4 easier, than a guy who's been a 2 forever and had a growth spurt. He said himself he's a guard.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but that's how I see it. More depth, other more likely options to take that position in a small lineup.

Reaction Score
It's funny, I look at that lineup of Brimah, Nolan , Olander and Facey and I wonder how, but Daniels was pretty talented and anything can happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom