editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Some of these campuses have academic unions and organizations driven by Ken Krayeske's brothers and sisters and they carry some real clout. They hate the whole athletics thing and gripe constantly about the money going into athletic facilities.

FSU might be one of the few where these activists have clout
There are the Krayeskes, and there are the (wannabe) T Boone Pickenses of the world as well. I imagine FSU has more of latter..

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
If you list their top schools against our bottom sure it looks lopsided. The BE has Navy. Which ACC school tops that? SMU? Uconn and Rutgers are two of the top ranked public universities. ND, St. John's, and Georgetown are quite solid as well.
I give the ACC the edge, but I don't think it's that big a gap.

When was the last game Navy played in the Big East ? Oh, that's right, they won't play ANY for another 3 years. Try pumping up the Big East academically without resorting to teams that aren't even in the league yet.

The Big East is pretty good - Georgetown, Rutgers, UConn come to mind. Nova is good, but it's a regional school, not a national one,. But the conference did take a hit in losing BC, then Pitt and Syracuse. The replacements are not on the same level.

Reaction Score
what other obvious choices?

Apparently you've forgotten all the great Frank the Tank articles at the time Jim Delaney first went public with the Big 10's expansion plans. It was all about who among Pitt, Syracuse or Rutgers might be enough to sway Notre Dame to join so that they could move east and capture the NYC market. Then it was about the Big 10 wanted AIA schools (or whatever that consortium is) - like UConn. Then it was about geographic proximity, which meant that Missouri was the likely choice. Then, it was going to be Texas, and Texas would lure Notre Dame. Then it was about cable households who would carry the Big 10 network. Then it was going to be about getting a travel partner and rival for Penn State (Pitt).

I guess it all runs together after a while, but it turned out to be none of those teams. It was Nebraska - a team from a small market, not a contiguous state, not an AIA member, hell, not even a top 100 university. But a hell of a football brand, even in relatively down times.

Reaction Score
Misery loves company, and UConn is about to get some company.
That's a classic line right there.

What I find funny is how half the SU board believes the way for SU to return to prominence is for UConn and RU to fade into total irrelevancy, yet we should be rooting for nothing but great things for SU in the ACC?

In the perfect world all three our school would be part of healthy, vibrant, financially viable conferences, but we know the ACC has tried to put the Big East out to pasture on multiple occasions already.

Reaction Score
That's a classic line right there.

What I find funny is how half the SU board believes the way for SU to return to prominence is for UConn and RU to fade into total irrelevancy, yet we should be rooting for nothing but great things for SU in the ACC?

In the perfect world all three our school would be part of healthy, vibrant, financially viable conferences, but we know the ACC has tried to put the Big East out to pasture on multiple occasions already.

Regrettably, I don't think there is enough football talent in the tri-state area to support 3 major division 1 programs. SU's decline coincided with Rutgers' rise. Then, Rutgers slipped back into being Rutgers, UConn started playing better. Now that UConn is stuck with Pasqualoni for a few years, and Schiano has bolted town, Syracuse has a chance to start getting that talent again. After going 8-5 and winning a bowl, and then going 5-2 to start the season with a win at West Virginia, SU fans had a right to think that they may have turned the corner. Then the wheels came off and we lost 5 straight to end the season. This is the make or break year for Marrone. If he isn't back in a bowl this year, eventually he will be gone, and SU will likely never get back to the McNabb years again.

Reaction Score
Regrettably, I don't think there is enough football talent in the tri-state area to support 3 major division 1 programs. SU's decline coincided with Rutgers' rise. Then, Rutgers slipped back into being Rutgers, UConn started playing better. Now that UConn is stuck with Pasqualoni for a few years, and Schiano has bolted town, Syracuse has a chance to start getting that talent again. After going 8-5 and winning a bowl, and then going 5-2 to start the season with a win at West Virginia, SU fans had a right to think that they may have turned the corner. Then the wheels came off and we lost 5 straight to end the season. This is the make or break year for Marrone. If he isn't back in a bowl this year, eventually he will be gone, and SU will likely never get back to the McNabb years again.
Eh, I just don't buy that line of thinking. There is a lot of talent that goes FCS or MAC level in the tri state area that is good enough. At UConn lone we have scored players like Lyle McCombs and Shamar Stephen who are near all league caliber and I believe UConn was their only offer. SU's downturn was more due I believe to facilities that fell behind the times, and with replacing a decent coach in Pasquolini with a train wreck in GRob.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I find it curious that Uconn fans would be activelyt rooting for the ACC's destruction when their best case scenario in realignment is that the ACC adds Notre Dame.

The potential for the ACC's destruction may be a motivator to accelerate that happening. If you believe that ND has interest in parking all sports in the ACC for all the reasons already discussed then the threat of their destruction coupled with the Big East's gutting could push them over the edge.

Obviously this assumes: a) they don't believe they can stay independent and effectively schedule and compete for a title given the current changes, and b) have no interest in the Big10.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's impact in any thing going on is grossly overstated. ND is the top target for any expansion, but they are not capable of holding a league together just by joining it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I find it curious that Uconn fans would be activelyt rooting for the ACC's destruction when their best case scenario in realignment is that the ACC adds Notre Dame.
Our best case scenario would be the B1G adding us, ND and 2 other northeast teams. Not likely, but best case and big payday.

I think most UConn fans would prefer to be in a conference with regional rivals such as SU, RU, BC. After reading some of the posters on the SU board who are rooting for UConn's (and RU's) demise now that they're in the ACC, there's some animosity building. Not to mention the fact that the ACC has twice severely damaged our conference.

Reaction Score
At this point, I'd be happy to see SU sink on the ACC like Leonardo Di Caprio did on "Titanic".

You can cheer against SU and all of the other teams that have left the BE for better conferences but you also have to admit that if Herbst's admin assistant told her the ACC, Big 12, Big 10 was on the line she would pick up the phone and say 'yes' even before she said 'hello.'

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You can cheer against SU and all of the other teams that have left the BE for better conferences but you also have to admit that if Herbst's admin assistant told her the ACC, Big 12, Big 10 was on the line she would pick up the phone and say 'yes' even before she said 'hello.'

why would uconn say yes to the acc now?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The right move was to hold tight and wait for the NBC payday. Syracuse screwed everyone over by abandoning the ship. We will never know what UConn would have done in the same situation.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Absolutely :)

Reaction Score

Finally something I completely agree with Obs on. My only additional comment would be that Herbst also would be screaming at her admin about what the took her so long to pick up the phone.......

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Wwwwwweeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll.... I've been in the "Let's of here ASAP / #BegHarder" camp but if it were me I'd take a long hard look at whether any of the ACC's Big Ten targets had a realistic chance of leaving, and be very insistent on a guarantee of rights or some kind of deal to stabilize the conference we're moving to before saying "I Do".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wwwwwweeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll.... I've been in the "Let's of here ASAP / #BegHarder" camp but if it were me I'd take a long hard look at whether any of the ACC's Big Ten targets had a realistic chance of leaving, and be very insistent on a guarantee of rights or some kind of deal to stabilize the conference we're moving to before saying "I Do".

UNC and UVa have to be at the very top of any Big 10 expansion list. Fantastic state schools in fast growing border states with large media markets. UNC has one of the best basketball programs in the country, and UVa has...great academics and is in a big state.

I have to think that if UNC and UVa called, the Big 10 would answer. Maryland is a little less clear, because their finances are so messy. I think the SEC would take VTech in a heartbeat. They probably would want a North Carolina school, which leaves them with NC State. The SEC didn't add Missouri and Texas A&M with the plan of stopping there. I think they want two eastern schools in a state they are not already in.

Rumors are teams are already trying to abandon ship from the ACC. If the Big 12 only takes two schools, can the ACC stabilize at 12? Possible, but I would want a Grant of Rights if I was thinking about joining that league after a departure.

Reaction Score
UNC and UVa have to be at the very top of any Big 10 expansion list. Fantastic state schools in fast growing border states with large media markets. UNC has one of the best basketball programs in the country, and UVa has...great academics and is in a big state.

I have to think that if UNC and UVa called, the Big 10 would answer. Maryland is a little less clear, because their finances are so messy. I think the SEC would take VTech in a heartbeat. They probably would want a North Carolina school, which leaves them with NC State. The SEC didn't add Missouri and Texas A&M with the plan of stopping there. I think they want two eastern schools in a state they are not already in.

Rumors are teams are already trying to abandon ship from the ACC. If the Big 12 only takes two schools, can the ACC stabilize at 12? Possible, but I would want a Grant of Rights if I was thinking about joining that league after a departure.

I understand the "fit" of UNC and UVA in the Big Ten. But I don't see how that produces more per capita revenue for Big Ten teams, as neither has a football following that would be in the top half of the Big Ten. And failing that I don't see it happening.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree with anyone about UNCand Virginia to the Big 10. Some things are a bridge too far, and that seems like one of them. Culturally, and in every other way, those schools are just not good fits any more than a northeastern urban Catholic Boston College was a good fit in the southern ACC. You just need to walk onto those campuses compared with Michigan or Ohio state or Iowa and you see and feel a totally different vibe. And basketball is clear ACC king. Not so in the Big. Could someone do something that dumb for money? Sure. But I don't really think UNC or UVA would tend to go that route. Maryland is a different sort of animal, probably more north than south and it could likely make such a move but unless things look pretty desperate i wouldn't look for UNC or UVA to do it. UVA's other problem is VaTech. although UVA is the flagship, Tech is the largest public university in the state and no governor or legislature is going to let VaTech be left high and dry, even for the B-10. Not happening, so unless and until VPI has a home, UVA ain't going anywhere.

The funny thing to me would be if the ACC spiraled out of control and Pitt Syracuse BC and Maryland all ended up in a new league with UCONN, Rutgers Louisville, Cincinnatti, and south florida...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I understand the "fit" of UNC and UVA in the Big Ten. But I don't see how that produces more per capita revenue for Big Ten teams, as neither has a football following that would be in the top half of the Big Ten. And failing that I don't see it happening.
It won't. Larry Scott and Jim Delaney were very pointed as to the future: a 9-game conference schedules, one BiG/PAC cross conference game for each team, the one home gate game (against the MAC or whoever as the opener) which is big revenue for the 100,000 seat stadiums, and 1 free schedule game against a large regional rival like Notre Dame or marquee program like Texas or BiG/PAC event like a game in Asia. Then there's the Rose Bowl :)

In US markets outside the BiG and PAC footprint that don't carry the Pac or BiG they can work together on a Network offering with Fox that merges content and possibly adds some Sports Movies or single Events to guarantee cable adds. That hasn't happened yet but is proposed. The PAC Network launches in 4 Months. Scott isn't stupid. He will monetize the assets and the conferences don't gain as much by expanding as they do by pooling content and working with Fox to get the 'merged' network placed nationally for decent carriage fees.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The important thing for the Big 10 is how many people get the Big 10 network at the in market rates. It's something like a dollar a subscriber a month in Ohio and Michigan but 10 cents for people like me in CT w DTV.

They could use the recruiting grounds of VA and NC if they want to not get blown out by the SEC in bowl games.

I don't think UNC or UVA has any interest until the ACC implodes to the point where NCSU and VPI are elsewhere, but it makes sense in a vacuum.

Reaction Score
Our best case scenario would be the B1G adding us, ND and 2 other northeast teams. Not likely, but best case and big payday.

I think most UConn fans would prefer to be in a conference with regional rivals such as SU, RU, BC. After reading some of the posters on the SU board who are rooting for UConn's (and RU's) demise now that they're in the ACC, there's some animosity building. Not to mention the fact that the ACC has twice severely damaged our conference.

Well if you are going to bring up the big ten then we should explore other equally likely scenarios like oil being discovered under the rent or a sinkhole swallowing all the Northeastern football schools but UCONN.

I used to hate the ACC as well..until I realized that the real culprit in all this was the extreme shortsightedness of the Big East the past three decades.....starting with giving Penn State the Heisman.

Reaction Score
Holy **** the crazy is strong here.

your not bringing much to the table here. at least be entertaining and list 10 schools with slashes between them on who the acc will bring in once it's raided. I'd love to hear how SU fans think the ACC will survive working under a similar model as the old big east minus bball only schools.

Reaction Score
your not bringing much to the table here. at least be entertaining and list 10 schools with slashes between them on who the acc will bring in once it's raided. I'd love to hear how SU fans think the ACC will survive working under a similar model as the old big east minus bball only schools.

Yeah I'll get right on that....if there's any source on realignment that has been accurate it's Internet message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom