editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
so your saying Cuse and its running mate Pitt were the only teams of value to any conference in America and the realignment puzzle has been completed? Why are you even here in our world of potential hypothetical situations then?

Reaction Score
why would uconn say yes to the acc now?

Because they still have a 15 year contract that will pay you at least 50% more than any Big East contract will, and in truth, everyone knows the ACC isn't going to collapse. The league has been around for 60 years. The Big East on the other hand, likely won't last another 10 years, except in name only. The football might no longer exist. How about Boise going all TCU on you ? Who's the most at risk again ?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
your not bringing much to the table here. at least be entertaining and list 10 schools with slashes between them on who the acc will bring in once it's raided. I'd love to hear how SU fans think the ACC will survive working under a similar model as the old big east minus bball only schools.

I will entertain this crazy.

Syracuse/Boston College/Maryland/Georgia Tech/Connecticut/Rutgers/Wake/Duke/South Florida/Cincinnati

Fifth best football league and a 4-5 bid basketball league.

What do I win?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Well if you are going to bring up the big ten then we should explore other equally likely scenarios like oil being discovered under the rent.
You up for some fracking in East Hartford?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Because they still have a 15 year contract that will pay you at least 50% more than any Big East contract will, and in truth, everyone knows the ACC isn't going to collapse. The league has been around for 60 years. The Big East on the other hand, likely won't last another 10 years, except in name only. The football might no longer exist. How about Boise going all TCU on you ? Who's the most at risk again ?

It might not collapse but it won't serve your interests. If Clemson and FSU aren't getting a fair shake what makes you think you will? We might be in a worse position ATM but if you look real close at what you have in your hand you'll see that it's just a lump of fool's gold.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Syracuse screwed everyone by leaving the Big East. It jumped into a crappy, long-term, under-market contract in the ACC, and kept the Big East from scoring a bigger deal, which was coming, from NBC and/or ESPN. The smart move was to merge the ACC into the Big East, opening the door for any programs that wanted to leave for "greener" pastures. Whatever was left would have scored a big deal from NBC/ESPN/Fox/whoever.

Syracuse and Pitt have cost two conferences hundreds of millions of dollars with one incredibly stupid move.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Syracuse and Pitt have cost two conferences hundreds of millions of dollars with one incredibly stupid move.

Why are you always so polarizing and extreme?

Syracuse left for a more stable conference and a guaranteed better payday. Seemed reasonable at the time.

On the other hand, you proclaim UConn to be playing in the Yankee Conference. Say Cuse said no and we went with Pitt to the ACC. Syracuse would be on the verge of playing with your so-called Yankee Conference.

Reaction Score
I will entertain this crazy.

Syracuse/Boston College/Maryland/Georgia Tech/Connecticut/Rutgers/Wake/Duke/South Florida/Cincinnati

Fifth best football league and a 4-5 bid basketball league.

What do I win?

Where are the other NINE schools going to go ? Are the big 4 conferences all going to go to 18 to accommodate everybody ? Your premise is ridiculous on its face. Why would the Carolina schools or UVa EVER EVER leave their own conference? They have NONE of the structural problems of the Big East. It's beyond stupid to compare the two.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where are the other NINE schools going to go ? Are the big 4 conferences all going to go to 18 to accommodate everybody ? Your premise is ridiculous on its face. Why would the Carolina schools or UVa EVER EVER leave their own conference? They have NONE of the structural problems of the Big East. It's beyond stupid to compare the two.

Thanks stupid. Thanks for the post.

- honeybadger

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
can i get a thread recap from mets right now before i blow the roof off this place with some slashes?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You guys, take it easy on the orange fans! It's not their fault that they are 2-6 versus a relative newcomer UConn in Big East play. It's not their fault that they haven't beaten us since 2006. It's not their fault that they have been the laughing stock of the Big East for quite some time. Oh wait.....no, it's their fault. I'm sorry. My bad.

Reaction Score
Stay on topic. We're talking about how the ACC is going to turn into the MAAC...and how UCONNs Big Ten invite is in the mail.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to come around on letting Uconn wither on the vine.....It would be very unfortunate to see our rivalry go by the wayside. Wish that teams like Uconn fade into obscurity is just bitter loser talk.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why are you always so polarizing and extreme?

Syracuse left for a more stable conference and a guaranteed better payday. Seemed reasonable at the time.

On the other hand, you proclaim UConn to be playing in the Yankee Conference. Say Cuse said no and we went with Pitt to the ACC. Syracuse would be on the verge of playing with your so-called Yankee Conference.

When Pitt and Syracuse left, many were expecting the Big East to match or surpass the ACC on a per team basis when the contract came up for negotiation in September 2012. The ACC was locked into a long-term deal that virtually everyone but you and a handful of Syracuse posers thinks is way under-market. The ACC's best path to getting a market deal would have been to merge into the Big East, not do what they did. Now, despite adding Syracuse and Pitt, the ACC is about to get raided and has an under-market deal.

The right move for everyone was to sit tight, and see what the Big East would get from NBC. The Big 12 did it, and look how it worked out for them. I think the OBE would have gotten close to $20MM an all=sports school. If it started to look like NBC wasn't going to come through, then the Big East schools could explore other options. Jumping in September 2011 was the worst outcome for everyone. Stupid all the way around.

Reaction Score
When Pitt and Syracuse left, many were expecting the Big East to match or surpass the ACC on a per team basis when the contract came up for negotiation in September 2012. The ACC was locked into a long-term deal that virtually everyone but you and a handful of Syracuse posers thinks is way under-market. The ACC's best path to getting a market deal would have been to merge into the Big East, not do what they did. Now, despite adding Syracuse and Pitt, the ACC is about to get raided and has an under-market deal.

The right move for everyone was to sit tight, and see what the Big East would get from NBC. The Big 12 did it, and look how it worked out for them. I think the OBE would have gotten close to $20MM an all=sports school. If it started to look like NBC wasn't going to come through, then the Big East schools could explore other options. Jumping in September 2011 was the worst outcome for everyone. Stupid all the way around.

This was never going to happen. Ever. If Pitt or SU declined, someone else from the BE would have gladly jumped at the spot.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Even more FSU - Big12 talk going on. According to BOT member and former RB Brooks, the Big12 contacted FSU:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...s-far-as-i-know-the-big-12-reached-out-to-us/

I'm not sure if I remember the rules correctly; is it the conference that is allowed to contact the team first, or the team that is allowed to contact the conference (probably chicken and egg, really). But it is getting harder for FSU and the Big12 to hide what seems to be the real story, in my opinion.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This was never going to happen. Ever. If Pitt or SU declined, someone else from the BE would have gladly jumped at the spot.

"They would have done it too" is not a justification for a move that has made a few schools a little worse off, and a lot of schools a lot worse off, than they would have been otherwise. TCU and WVU are the only two programs that really came out ahead in all this, and I think WVU will fade a bit as a national program outside of the Big East. All anyone had to do was ask for a Grant of Rights, that could have had some minimum revenue hurdle in the NBC deal. If the NBC deal doesn't show up, everyone can bail in a year. NBC was a free option for everyone, and Syracuse and Pitt decided they didn't want to see it.

Jumping was a stupid thing to do, and triggered a wave of dominoes that could very well result in Syracuse back in a league with a bunch of teams they just left, with a worse TV deal than they could have gotten if everyone just held tight.

Next time you screw up at work, tell your boss that some other coworker would have screwed up too if put in the same situation. Let me know how it goes. Although what Syracuse did was much worse, because Syracuse also totally screwed its old business partners.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It would have sent a powerful message to the other schools. It could have been a rallying point.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be so sure about that. It would have sent a powerful message to the other schools. It could have been a rallying point.

I agree that it wasn't a given, although I'm not sure if it wouldn't have ultimately happened. Keep in mind that TCU was still on board at the time of the announcement. The Big East was going to try to build slowly from that point (in hindsight, they needed to build fast!). I don't know who the next team would have been, although recent reports pointed to UCF as being an important piece that would have swayed some opinions to leave the Big East. I certainly think that Pitt and Syracuse leaving (Pitt especially) is the reason why WVU left. If your main rival is heading for the hills, and your conference is down to six teams, you are going to look to run too...

Reaction Score
I rarely agree with nelson, but in this instance he is right on the money. Though I hold Pitt more responsible than Syracuse if only because Pitt's President was Chairman of the Big East. In tha position he had a responsiblity to the Big East. Morally, ehtically and maybee ven legally he shoud have resigned his position in the leadership of the Big East once he began to serioulsy have discussions with another conference.

Reaction Score
I rarely agree with nelson, but in this instance he is right on the money. Though I hold Pitt more responsible than Syracuse if only because Pitt's President was Chairman of the Big East. In tha position he had a responsiblity to the Big East. Morally, ehtically and maybee ven legally he shoud have resigned his position in the leadership of the Big East once he began to serioulsy have discussions with another conference.

The whole fiduciary duty thing is a pretty sticky wicket. Hard for schools to stay a member of a conference, attend meetings, etc. while be plotting to leave. Of course it has happened nut carefully in most cases. Think back to how the SEC told A&M that they would not talk with them, etc. until after they had withdrawn from the Big 12 because Baylor had either filed a lawsuit or made noises that they would.

The whole tortious interference thing presents a huge problem for those who think that 4, 5 or 6 schools are going to simultaneously leave the ACC for the Big 12. While a single departure or two can sort of happen on a wink-wink basis a larger number raises the likelihood that the conference that those teams are joining will be sued by the ACC and the remaining individual schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom