editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12 | The Boneyard

editor of FSU board on FSU to Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So a meathead from the Internet says don't listen to other meatheads on the Internet, listen to him......

They have to be looking at it, that is their duty to the school, if they do it or not, who knows, I don't and he doesn't.....

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I just don't get this "we need FSU and Clemson to leave the ACC for the Big12 in order for us to be invited" idea. What am I missing?

If an odd number of teams leave the ACC we might be invited (either 1 or 3). If FSU and Clemson were to both leave, the ACC would be at 12 teams--they would not be in a hurry to expand because of that. 14 teams is a weird number for a conference to have...ideally you either have 12 or 16 teams. The way I see it, the only way UConn goes to the ACC is if either 1 team leaves the conference (we are the replacement), or the ACC goes to 16 (then we would go with either Notre Dame or Rutgers).

I just don't see FSU and Clemson leaving as a positive for us. I really do not believe that it would change the ACC's thinking on expansion--if anything it would reduce the chances of the ACC expanding and adding UConn. At least if they stay at 14, they may eventually decide to go to 16 for scheduling purposes. But if they are down to 12, I am not sure they would be in a rush to get back to 14 (unless of course ND was in play). Just my opinion I guess.

Reaction Score
That's fair. The better chance for UConn is via Notre Dame's movement (if it ever happened)

Reaction Score
I just don't get this "we need FSU and Clemson to leave the ACC for the Big12 in order for us to be invited" idea. What am I missing?

If an odd number of teams leave the ACC we might be invited (either 1 or 3). If FSU and Clemson were to both leave, the ACC would be at 12 teams--they would not be in a hurry to expand because of that. 14 teams is a weird number for a conference to have...ideally you either have 12 or 16 teams. The way I see it, the only way UConn goes to the ACC is if either 1 team leaves the conference (we are the replacement), or the ACC goes to 16 (then we would go with either Notre Dame or Rutgers).

I just don't see FSU and Clemson leaving as a positive for us. I really do not believe that it would change the ACC's thinking on expansion--if anything it would reduce the chances of the ACC expanding and adding UConn. At least if they stay at 14, they may eventually decide to go to 16 for scheduling purposes. But if they are down to 12, I am not sure they would be in a rush to get back to 14 (unless of course ND was in play). Just my opinion I guess.

In this day and age, you might want to always have a couple extra teams around. Especially if the B10 or SEC get the itch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The FSU/Clemson thing has its legs on the internet.

They're not going to the Big 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So who does the Big 12 add if FSU and Clemson are officially off the table according to the folks in this thread? Louisville and Cincinnati?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So who does the Big 12 add if FSU and Clemson are officially off the table according to the folks in this thread? Louisville and Cincinnati?

Unless you think adding Louisville + Cincy will increase the Big12's current tv payout per team (~$20M per team), you don't add anyone.

Even with a Conference Championship game included, are Louisville and Cincy worth anywhere near $40M to a tv network?

This isn't a case of ACC adding SyraPitt to open up a tv negotiation, the Big12 was just pretty much finalized.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Unless you think adding Louisville + Cincy will increase the Big12's current tv payout per team (~$20M per team), you don't add anyone.

Even with a Conference Championship game included, are Louisville and Cincy worth anywhere near $40M to a tv network?

This isn't a case of ACC adding SyraPitt to open up a tv negotiation, the Big12 was just pretty much finalized.

i have a hard time seeing the b12 leave the ccg $$ on the table and not adding 2.
i mean who knows maybe they grab bsu/byu and go west after the acc teams don't bite or something.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
i have a hard time seeing the b12 leave the ccg $$ on the table and not adding 2.
i mean who knows maybe they grab bsu/byu and go west after the acc teams don't bite or something.

If none of the ACC teams go, Louisville is a lock to the Big 12. I don't know if the benefit of just having a 12th team justifies Cincinnati or not.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If none of the ACC teams go, Louisville is a lock to the Big 12. I don't know if the benefit of just having a 12th team justifies Cincinnati or not.

You think Louisville adds over $20M/year to an athletic conference?

Not saying I do or I don't - I don't know specifics of how they value these deals.

Just seems a bit steep.

Reaction Score
There is definitely smoke with FSU and Clemson. I think the fact that Louisville is now sending out feelers to the ACC is proof that something is going on. The B12 may have turned attention away from them and they are know that if the ACC get's poached they are pretty well positioned to get into the ACC. I hope we go with them.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
how does lville ever get into the acc if wvu couldn't?

Reaction Score

Maybe they can't but my feeling is that if the ACC starts actually getting poached that there may be some changes of perspective. There is no reason for the Big 12 to be in a rush about this though. The ACC won't be getting a raise until 2026 or something so the Big 12 has plenty of time to get their deal finalized and prove that their members will be making much more by comparison.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Maybe they can't but my feeling is that if the ACC starts actually getting poached that there may be some changes of perspective. There is no reason for the Big 12 to be in a rush about this though. The ACC won't be getting a raise until 2026 or something so the Big 12 has plenty of time to get their deal finalized and prove that their members will be making much more by comparison.

if the acc ever gets ripped apart to the point where they need to add teams like lville/ucf/usf on top of ading ruty/uconn/temple lets say, they are screwed and no one should go. they thought they were big dogs on the block by telling wvu they wern't smart enough. how do u like wvu now acc? they would have helped the acc contract and def help keep fsu/gt/clem happy. they could have gone with wvu/pitt/cuse/uconn or ruty. they would have been set and no way anyone leaves. but they got to dam high on themselves meanwhile half the schools in the conf have classroom problems to boot. just a joke. if a lot of moves happen and the acc adds any school thats not the greatest ever in the classroom, i will laugh hard and at that point would rather be accless.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
if the acc ever gets ripped apart to the point where they need to add teams like lville/ucf/usf on top of ading ruty/uconn/temple lets say, they are screwed and no one should go. they thought they were big dogs on the block by telling wvu they wern't smart enough. how do u like wvu now acc? they would have helped the acc contract and def help keep fsu/gt/clem happy. they could have gone with wvu/pitt/cuse/uconn or ruty. they would have been set and no way anyone leaves. but they got to dam high on themselves meanwhile half the schools in the conf have classroom problems to boot. just a joke. if a lot of moves happen and the acc adds any school thats not the greatest ever in the classroom, i will laugh hard and at that point would rather be accless.

I always thought that the smart move would have been for the ACC to have taken West Virginia and UConn.

West Virginia was the best football program and had won a recent Big East Championship in basketball.
UConn was the best basketball program and had won a recent Big East Championship in football.

I obviously understand why Syracuse was selected, as a good hoops program with a tradition in football and they are popular in NYC.

I still don't get Pitt though. Hoops has been regular season good lately, but the football program is a constant underachiever that doesn't have good fanbase. Maybe it's me, but I just don't get a buzz with the program.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I always thought that the smart move would have been for the ACC to have taken West Virginia and UConn.

West Virginia was the best football program and had won a recent Big East Championship in basketball.
UConn was the best basketball program and had won a recent Big East Championship in football.

interesting. lets look at it for a sec.

wvu brings 20mil ish to the table add the t3 for them and lets just say 20 is not a problem. uconn brings about 15ish but its tier 3 for fball and mbball would be for the acc to spread. considering uconn contracts i have learned thru the t3 thread we easily are worth 20mil to the acc. so if the acc got uconn/wvu then they would have got 18-20 from espn a couple days ago, they would have added a fball team thats actually won bcs games, a bball team that can join unc/duke and both schools are good very good at other sports also. then the acc can sit at 14, not have to worry about fsu/clem wanting more fball and the bball prpduct form 2-12 dying so much. they gain 2 publics 1 high ranked and 1 that has potential with its new friends. they can now sit and wait on nd knowing that cuse/pitt/ruty/temple are all there for 16 or 18 1 day if needed.

this all begs the question, wtf was the acc doing? i mean let me take off my uconn glasses and say instead of uconn they add wvu and pitt lets say, switch uconn and pitt in the above situation. pitt bball while not uconn would be still a good add and fball wise they bring a history to the table. this would have also solved alot of there problems. wtf was the acc doing lol??? i dream of a east coast all sports league like others. the acc could have gotten it and they didn't and now possibly never will. sad...

Reaction Score
interesting. lets look at it for a sec.

wvu brings 20mil ish to the table add the t3 for them and lets just say 20 is not a problem. uconn brings about 15ish but its tier 3 for fball and mbball would be for the acc to spread. considering uconn contracts i have learned thru the t3 thread we easily are worth 20mil to the acc. so if the acc got uconn/wvu then they would have got 18-20 from espn a couple days ago, they would have added a fball team thats actually won bcs games, a bball team that can join unc/duke and both schools are good very good at other sports also. then the acc can sit at 14, not have to worry about fsu/clem wanting more fball and the bball prpduct form 2-12 dying so much. they gain 2 publics 1 high ranked and 1 that has potential with its new friends. they can now sit and wait on nd knowing that cuse/pitt/ruty/temple are all there for 16 or 18 1 day if needed.

this all begs the question, wtf was the acc doing? i mean let me take off my uconn glasses and say instead of uconn they add wvu and pitt lets say, switch uconn and pitt in the above situation. pitt bball while not uconn would be still a good add and fball wise they bring a history to the table. this would have also solved alot of there problems. wtf was the acc doing lol??? i dream of a east coast all sports league like others. the acc could have gotten it and they didn't and now possibly never will. sad...

UCONN and SU were the original top 2 choices. Pitt was the third. BC AD Flipper decided to go against UCONN. I believe ACC had a 4-4-4 expansion committee or something like that with both BC and Miami on it. BC got Miami to block UCONN and they did not have a problem with Pitt. Please there was some rumor B12 wanted Pitt and ACC did not want B12 move into East Coast, so they invited Pitt instead of UCONN. Frankly, the only reason I think SU got invited is because schools like Miami and BC wanted more private schools in the league with them.

Reaction Score

In discussions of the new ACC-ESPN deal there have been mentions that the deal re-opens every five years for purposes of adjusting the payments to reflect then current market conditions. If that is correct the ACC numbers are not cast in stone until 2026.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In discussions of the new ACC-ESPN deal there have been mentions that the deal re-opens every five years for purposes of adjusting the payments to reflect then current market conditions. If that is correct the ACC numbers are not cast in stone until 2026.

That's why ESPN added 5 years to the deal, so they could reset the contract at "market rates" every 5 years. Sure.

My favorite part of your post is that Funster "liked" it. Funster has his ACC pom poms out again.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1363940

Chip Brown thinks its possible. I can find Internet meatheads "in the know" to support my position too!
Everyone knows that Chip Brown is a Texas/B12 shill, but if they weren't aware of that they are now. I don't think it could be any more transparent. What I found interesting though, is that he couldn't come up with anything more definitive than "After having conversations with people dialed into the administration at Florida State, there appears to be a sense that the board of trustees at FSU might be willing to explore all options." (italics added)

Maybe this will wind up happening. But if Chip Brown can't come up with something other than the flimsiest of evidence from his sources, it tells us that nothing is going down yet. I imagine that when FSU starts talking to the B12 we'll hear about it in the media.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows that Chip Brown is a Texas/B12 shill, but if they weren't aware of that they are now. I don't think it could be any more transparent. What I found interesting though, is that he couldn't come up with anything more definitive than "After having conversations with people dialed into the administration at Florida State, there appears to be a sense that the board of trustees at FSU might be willing to explore all options." (italics added)

Maybe this will wind up happening. But if Chip Brown can't come up with something other than the flimsiest of evidence from his sources, it tells us that nothing is going down yet. I imagine that when FSU starts talking to the B12 we'll hear about it in the media.
Jungle, that is exactly my point, Observer puts up an FSU shill, I can put up a Big12 shill, and I think the Big12 shill has shown himself to be more of a player and knowledgable and out in front of conference expansion than the FSU shill. Which shill people choose to believe is up to them, but to trot out some meathead from an FSU board and say he has "real insight" is laughable, I think Brown has shown he has more insight by his past reporting than this guy.

I also think that the silence from FSU is deafening, dont you? If FSU has no interest, and the ACC contract is basically a done deal, why havent they put out a statement? FSU can end this debate with a simple one paragraph press release and yet they havent.......

Reaction Score

They won't. Louisville does not fit the ACC. The ACC does not need to be desperate at this stage. In fact their demise seems greatly exaggerated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom