East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | Page 18 | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The situation and view back up the hill are cool though. not sure where UConn would be able to build something.
A6F871F1-AAE4-4600-B1E3-B156DD0DB69B.jpeg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I happen to think anything around horse barn hill is completely out of the question. You can’t build in the iconic hillside of the campus… Otherwise I think everywhere else including that Depot campus a couple miles down the road could work.

Reaction Score
I happen to think anything around horse barn hill is completely out of the question. You can’t build in the iconic hillside of the campus… Otherwise I think everywhere else including that Depot campus a couple miles down the road could work.
Exit 4 is totally right. There could be a near riot if bulldozers come to the most scenic part of the campus.

Reaction Score
Watching the Kansas TCU game. We need to build a “Kansas type” of stadium on campus. Fans can only access their seats via portals—no standing around in an open concourse to watch the game. The cost is manageable and the design provides the optimal “home field” effect. Get on it.
Or maybe just play here. What a stadium.

1665331093854.png

CL82

Reaction Score
Exit 4 is totally right. There could be a near riot if bulldozers come to the most scenic part of the campus.
I don’t know about that, but given there are other, better alternatives, why would we? Plus, if you stick this thing on Horsebarn Hill, you would see it from everywhere. That said, it is a possible location, just not the best of the choices available.

(Although announcers saying, coming to you from Horsebarn Hill at the University of Connecticut has a great ring to it, not that that’s a reason to do it.)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
IMO, playing at the Depot Campus is not worth it. Might as well keep playing at the Rent. The goal of building on campus, which I never see happening, is to allow students to walk to the games. The Depot Campus doesn't allow this.

I also agree with others that Horsebarn Hill needs to remain untouched. Plenty of other open space has now been built on. UConn used to enjoy the openness and beauty of the surrounding area. All of the building on that land is taking some of that charm away. Gotta leave the one thing people see as they drive into campus that reminds us that we came from an Agricultural beginning.

Reaction Score
Just amazed at the numbers thrown around for the cost of an on-campus stadium. UABs new stadium was $188 million for 47,000 seating capacity and South Alabama's cost $78 million for ~25K capacity. Numbers I saw to increase South Alabama's capacity to 40K was another $40 million. I realize that labor is cheaper in Alabama, but $100-200 millon more seems crazy.

View attachment 79096
Costs can vary depending on capacity of course, but also amenities, and materials (especially the ratio in using steel and concrete for the superstructure), site geology, etc.

I say let the state give the Rent (after a cheap refurbishment) to CCSU and start the planning process on building a new stadium on campus. No use throwing good money after bad.

Reaction Score
Yale Bowl would be an option if we were playing Notre Dame or Michigan again, and we had a chance to beat them. Single game only. Not for permanent home stadium.
Why would Yale agree to that as an option?

Reaction Score
Costs can vary depending on capacity of course, but also amenities, and materials (especially the ratio in using steel and concrete for the superstructure), site geology, etc.

I say let the state give the Rent (after a cheap refurbishment) to CCSU and start the planning process on building a new stadium on campus. No use throwing good money after bad.
Central plays in 5500 seat Arute Field. There is no way in 100 years that they would ever take on the Rent. Makes zero sense for anyone involved.

Reaction Score
Central plays in 5500 seat Arute Field. There is no way in 100 years that they would ever take on the Rent. Makes zero sense for anyone involved.
If they want to upgrade the program it does, which they do. It also helps UConn by having an in state rival.

Reaction Score
Not A Dime Investment - Quite Frankly, I could care less what happens to the East Hartford Stadium, start the planning on the On Campus Facility NOW, lease The Rent year to year until the on campus stadium is completed, then let Nature take it's course on "The Mistake by The Landing Strip"

Reaction Score
……and it’s only 15 minutes from Central’s campus.

Reaction Score
If they want to upgrade the program it does, which they do. It also helps UConn by having an in state rival.
CCSU will not be going to the FBS in the next 15 years. Even if they did... they would build on-campus.

Reaction Score
Central is FCS. "UPGRADE" for that program is getting into the Colonial, where they should be, and maybe expanding their current stadium to 10k. Central is not an athletics school. It will never be an FBS school and has no interest in doing so.

The state also owns close to 1000 undeveloped acres east of route 9 that would be ideal for a new stadium if the situation ever arose. Again, there is no way CCSU taking on the Rent makes any sense to anyone with ties to the university.

Reaction Score
Yeah, don't mess with Horsebarn Hill. I like the one near the other athletic facilities up against 275. Time to eminent domain the locals. I'd be OK if they held out for maximum compensation and they widened 384 and 295 to make it accessible.

CL82

Reaction Score
Horsebarn Hill is sacred to many alumni including me. Sledding, cow tipping, etc, not to mention iconic UConn. No building anything there please.
How much do you tip a cow? Is it like the standard 20% or is it less because, really, it’s a cow, what’s it going do with money anyway?

Reaction Score
Yale plays in FCS and they have a 70,000 seat stadium. You just don't want a massive state project to sit empty. The neighbors in East Hartford do not want it to become a concert venue. Central would be great for the Colonial.

Reaction Score
The state just approved a mediocre looking new dorm in South Campus. It's price tag is $215M. I don't think $500 million for a decent stadium that can be used for other purposes, such as a single graduation ceremony, is out of line. Also, if the new stadium has inside exhibition and meeting rooms (ideal for corporate sponsors of UConn football games) they also could be used by companies for presentations. UConn is trying to get such businesses to locate research facilities on Discovery Drive.
The UConn BOT approved the new dorm complex not the state. UConn BOT has the control over on campus construction and the ability to finance construction projects. Student housing developments are typically financed with revenue bonds.

Reaction Score
Central is FCS. "UPGRADE" for that program is getting into the Colonial, where they should be, and maybe expanding their current stadium to 10k. Central is not an athletics school. It will never be an FBS school and has no interest in doing so.

The state also owns close to 1000 undeveloped acres east of route 9 that would be ideal for a new stadium if the situation ever arose. Again, there is no way CCSU taking on the Rent makes any sense to anyone with ties to the university.
I know that area, it’s in a flood plain, that’s why it’s undeveloped. The Rent is there, only 15 minutes away, and ready to be used. The state is not going to help build a stadium in swampland for an FBS or FCS school, instead of using the Rent for football, soccer, or whatever when planning for an on campus stadium in Storrs starts gaining traction. The state does not have a pro team in anything, that’s why UConn will eventually get it on campus stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom