East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | Page 16 | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
JDB50 How about taking a drive on Discovery Drive. They widened the road and there is plenty of space off of that road. It takes you to Route 44. That could mean 195 in Mansfield Center is not used for stadium traffic.
They considered Discovery Drive/Tech Park when siting out a location for the Toscano Family Ice Forum and nixed it in 2020: Guessing a Football Stadiium would meet same demise as a bad fit for area (use/size):

map2.png

map comment.png

Reaction Score
CL82 if you are on Depot campus students are riding the shuttle buses to the game. By the hockey barn there is no room to tailgate. Most parking on campus is in garages more so now with the new stem building in the lot by Huskies. The open parking lots are gone. Tailgate in the parking garage? Go ahead.

Reaction Score
The only place on campus that could be a legit site for a football stadium is at the top of the hill off 195 by Towers and the water tanks. It is has the room, it is closest to the existing road net that can handle traffic (195 and 44},and there is the possibility of some surface tailgating lots.
Not sure the current residents of the cemetery would complain much but that site could be a tough sell:
map1.png

The pic is a bit clearer here (Chapter 2-2): https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/UConn/Ice-Hockey-Arena-Development/FINAL_UC_HOCKEY_EIE_021320.pdf

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CL82 if you are on Depot campus students are riding the shuttle buses to the game. By the hockey barn there is no room to tailgate. Most parking on campus is in garages more so now with the new stem building in the lot by Huskies. The open parking lots are gone. Tailgate in the parking garage? Go ahead.
You keep saying that there’s no room to tailgate on the Separatist Tract. That’s just not accurate. It’s a huge piece of land that’s more than large enough to accommodate the stadium plus parking.

734A5781-D2E6-4478-9143-EFC61FBF5649.jpeg

The red outline is the rough boundary of this tract of land. The blue dot is roughly where the Toscano ice rink is located. If you look up at the top of the picture you can see the practice field behind the Fieldhouse. That gives you a sense of scale. I think we might be able to squeeze a canopy or two in there.

If I were building it, I would design in a dedicated “student tailgate area“ where the school could provide low-cost food, entertainment, etc. to get kids in the habit of going to games. I would also think about a dedicated husky walk into the stadium for the team and large walkway to campus. With a little bit of forethought, this could be a very nice venue.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You keep saying that there’s no room to tailgate on the Separatist Tract. That’s just not accurate. It’s a huge piece of land that’s more than large enough to accommodate the stadium plus parking.

View attachment 79310

The red outline is the rough boundary of this tract of land. The blue dot is roughly where the Toscano ice rink is located. If you look up at the top of the picture you can see the practice field behind the Fieldhouse. That gives you a sense of scale. I think we might be able to squeeze a canopy or two in there.

If I were building it, I would design in a dedicated “student tailgate area“ where the school could provide low-cost food, entertainment, etc. to get kids in the habit of going to games. I would also think about a dedicated husky walk into the stadium for the team and large walkway to campus. With a little bit of forethought, this could be a very nice venue.
I checked a Mansfield town map and about half that tract isn’t on campus, draw a line at the top edge of the pond across that’s where the campus begins.

CL82

Reaction Score
I checked a Mansfield town map and about half that tract isn’t on campus, draw a line at the top edge of the pond across that’s where the campus begins.
Link?

CL82

Reaction Score
That was news to me. I had always assumed that the University owned all the way to the road.

Here’s where the property line falls.

9E1F9ABC-E99E-4B34-8E61-A4641C415A73.jpeg

Still a ton of property. More than enough to accommodate a stadium and parking.

Reaction Score
All you guys worried about tailgating, have you ever been to a college campus that has tailgating? You tailgate wherever the hell you want. I was just in Baton Rouge a couple weeks ago... the students had a massive tailgate in the quad next to the student union. I was tailgating at a different quad next to their classroom buildings. You tailgate all over campus. I for one, would love to tailgate in the Jungle Quad.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if the Uconn property goes all the way to the road. Can one of the Attorneys on this board please explain Eminent Domain to the folks that think this matters?

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if the Uconn property goes all the way to the road. Can one of the Attorneys on this board please explain Eminent Domain to the folks that think this matters?
I was suggesting to a friend that the state should just buy all of Mansfield and very competitive rates and just start over. Now most of this was a joke but I like the idea that it'll all pay off in the long run once Mansfield becomes a moderate sized city instead of a small town of those looking to escape Hartford.

Granted this was more of a "why does JMU/Harrisonburg" work out so well. My answer was everybody in town is pulling for the enlargement and success of the school. I mean, hell, they also have 4 breweries and can even recommend a couple if we ever play there.

The town IS the problem in the end. The state is also a problem to a degree.

In some ways I'm serious. The only other thought option I have is restart the entire university at Pratt and Whitney air field.

This is the 50-100 year problem if you look at whether or not UConn can actually be a Big 10 style school. No, UConn will not because people will not allocate the space to build a proper city infrastructure to allow such a venture to exist.

Now, do you want it to be a thing or not? This is the "will of the state" level question. If the answer is no, let it be so, but no more one foot in one foot out because right now the dynamics are looking "out".

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn should be worried about if they can get into BiG 10 or ACC or any other conference at this time. The 5 year goals should be; Academic Excellence,continued strong performance in all men's and women's sports, build a 'watchable football team- against competitive opponents.
#1 agenda item is find a competent University President-What a disaster at the top!

UConn just dumped a pile of cash to leave AAC to join Big East and go Indy in Football
Let's let the dust settle and checks clear before looking at the next move ...

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn should be worried about if they can get into BiG 10 or ACC or any other conference at this time. The 5 year goals should be; Academic Excellence,continued strong performance in all men's and women's sports, build a 'watchable football team- against competitive opponents.
#1 agenda item is find a competent University President-What a disaster at the top!

UConn just dumped a pile of cash to leave AAC to join Big East and go Indy in Football
Let's let the dust settle and checks clear before looking at the next move ...
yes, this type of thinking is a very short game and will ultimately lose.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Since the team has been awful for 11 years now, I give great credit to the people on this board who keep saying they "need a chance". How many?? And I hope none of you are complaining about your state taxes...

Reaction Score
There are cornfields north of the water towers where the UConn marching band practices. Mostly open, few trees. At the top of a hill so few wetlands. This land is south of the parcel B site on the larger map. This is the place. UConn owns all of it. UConn is leaving this open for a reason. The hockey barn would have been on a smaller parcel just north of this. And we do need to solve our president problem. BigTenFan is right. It has been a cluster in that position.

Reaction Score
I will probably catch hell for this but 7000 people leaving Storrs on a Wednesday after a basketball game is fine. 30 - 40 thousand on a Saturday (given the infrastructure in place) would be a complete nightmare. Make the fixes in East Hartford.

CL82

Reaction Score
I will probably catch hell for this but 7000 people leaving Storrs on a Wednesday after a basketball game is fine. 30 - 40 thousand on a Saturday (given the infrastructure in place) would be a complete nightmare. Make the fixes in East Hartford.
How about if they all don’t leave at exactly the same moment? Because that seems like it might be helpful.

Reaction Score
what's with this guy.

View attachment 79404
I recently met someone who is part of the family that owns the house. They used to own the farmlands that were further out Silver Lane. When the Rent parcels were put together, they didn't sell the house site. The family has some members that want to sell and some that don't, so they are at a standstill.

Reaction Score
How about if they all don’t leave at exactly the same moment? Because that seems like it might be helpful.
I've never left the vicinity immediately after the game. That would be foolish and that time is better spent reopening the tailgate and celebrating the victory.

Reaction Score
You have obviously never attended a game at UWV, UNC, Notre Dame, Penn StateKentucky, etc.

Reaction Score
Who Cares about the Pratt & Whitney site? It's all wrong anyway. Maybe we can sell Rentschler Field to that Family?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom