East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | Page 15 | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
University Master Plan down bottom:
For what it’s worth, the separatist tract was less encumbered by wetlands than I would’ve expected. Also, at least in the vicinity around the Tuscano rink, there were no indication of threatened species.

955E0C5A-9836-4D9C-BCB8-8022B196FBCA.jpeg

Reaction Score
So, Given it will take a few years to get a stadium on campus, the 1st thing The University has to do is make it clear that they do not wish to renew the lease for any more than a year to year basis. This allows the State to properly evaluate whether or not it makes sense to throw $64 million down a Rabbit Hole (My Recommendation would be NO). Start the On Campus Stadium process YESTERDAY, and get it done ASAP.
Whether you want a stadium on campus or not, this is absurd. Sure, bite the hands that feeds you.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, the separatist tract was less encumbered by wetlands than I would’ve expected. Also, at least in the vicinity around the Tuscano rink, there were no indication of threatened species.

View attachment 79247
Agree but I think the rock ledges south of Freitas and Elliot Ballpark and the location of Star Pond below that knocks down the developable acreage a good bit.

Kinda cool to see the detail/review that goes into these decisions.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agree but I think the rock ledges south of Freitas and Elliot Ballpark and the location of Star Pond below that knocks down the developable acreage a good bit.

Kinda cool to see the detail/review that goes into these decisions.
Yep I noticed that as well. You wonder if they could be incorporated into the stands instead of just blasting them out of the way, because that would be kind of cool. By the way under the notion that great minds think alike, that was the square I would try to fit it in as well. There’s another spot closer to the middle and another spot further to the left.

Reaction Score
That said, the state should be doing everything possible to put as many other events in it as possible. The stadium hasn't been that expensive based on cost and years so since it exists, it might as well be maintained if it can be used more frequently.
Badda Bing Badda Boom. The stadium has been under utilized compared to what was projected at the time of the build. :(
With all due respect and curiosity, why would someone continue reading a thread they wish would be closed. :confused:

For those pushing an on campus stadium it would take a decade at least. Too many questions up in the air right now. IF UConn were to be involved in another conference realignment what might the seating requirements be?
When things were going good in The Big East the house was full with multiple lanes of traffic flowing to and from Rentschler. How much road improvements and infrastructure would it take to get 40,000 into and out of campus in a reasonable fashion with what there is right now? Road improvements and neighbors up in arms another hurdle.

Possibly if you can't go out so you go up, another parking garage? No fun tailgating on the forth level. Might just be me and a few for now but my group of four love what we have in East Hartford since the day it opened. Still looking forward to the day the extra 10,000 seats will be required the stadium was designed for when needed. ;)

Reaction Score
I'll preface this with I love the rent, I was part of the first UCMB that played their in 2003. I think had they built the site into a destination (like it was originally planned) with restaurants, shopping and entertainment the stadium would have been a much more attractive venue. Especially for out door concerts from late spring to mid fall. I think that will be the ultimate demise of why that stadium ends up being abandoned. I mean look at the Dunk and it's relative success compared to what's around it. The Rent could have been the same on a grander scale.

Reaction Score
Let's hope it doesn't get like Miami where their quarterback comes out and says he prefers away games to home because the away games have a college atmosphere.

"I like away games," Van Dyke said in a video. "We don't really have that much of a college atmosphere because we play at Hard Rock, so we're about 25 minutes away from campus. A lot of students don't go up and watch the games unless it's a big one. That's why I like going into away stadiums and seeing that college atmosphere and making that crowd quiet."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did you though? Because, not to put to blunt to point on it, it kind of seems like you were lying. And then it kind of seems like you lied more to support your lie. And never seemed to answer any of the questions in the post you quoted. Not that that is particularly surprising, you are who you are. The lack of self-awareness though is impressive, and to be completely honest, more than just a little bit amusing. :D
You never answered my question and now you're calling me a liar. Drag in gutter, try to win with experience.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The negativity of your post belies the "Mr. Positive" tagline on your avatar.
Not at all. My buddy teaches high school. A sophmore benchwarmer on the JV team told him it was her dream to play for Geno. He said, "That's great, has he contacted you yet?" She said, "No why?" "Because Geno is already recruiting sophomores, if you had a chance you would have heard by now? She said, "Why are you wrecking my dream?" I think of that story whenever this issue comes up. I am positive this is all crazy talk with no basis in reality..

CL82

Reaction Score
You never answered my question and now you're calling me a liar. Drag in gutter, try to win with experience.
Lol, I have no idea why you are, well, the way you are. SMH.

But if you feel unjustly besmirched, maybe you wanna answer instead of evade the questions above in post number 295? Here, let me make it easy for you so you don’t even have to scroll up:
06CBA64E-9CDF-4479-B5F6-BFD3A4434B05.jpeg

I’m sitting here chuckling, shaking my head. Winning? It’s a message board conversation. Try not to take it or yourself quite so seriously. You’ll be happier for it.

Reaction Score
Not at all. My buddy teaches high school. A sophmore benchwarmer on the JV team told him it was her dream to play for Geno. He said, "That's great, has he contacted you yet?" She said, "No why?" "Because Geno is already recruiting sophomores, if you had a chance you would have heard by now? She said, "Why are you wrecking my dream?" I think of that story whenever this issue comes up. I am positive this is all crazy talk with no basis in reality..
rsz_eeyore61_5881_5847.jpg

Reaction Score
The only place on campus that could be a legit site for a football stadium is at the top of the hill off 195 by Towers and the water tanks. It is has the room, it is closest to the existing road net that can handle traffic (195 and 44},and there is the possibility of some surface tailgating lots. The tract near the new hocky barn is the worst place. No tailgating and no way Separatist Rd and Rt 275 can take the traffic. I think we keep the Rent going till we get in a top 5 conference. Then you have a decision to make.

Reaction Score
The only place on campus that could be a legit site for a football stadium is at the top of the hill off 195 by Towers and the water tanks. It is has the room, it is closest to the existing road net that can handle traffic (195 and 44},and there is the possibility of some surface tailgating lots. The tract near the new hocky barn is the worst place. No tailgating and no way Separatist Rd and Rt 275 can take the traffic. I think we keep the Rent going till we get in a top 5 conference. Then you have a decision to make.
JDB50 How about taking a drive on Discovery Drive. They widened the road and there is plenty of space off of that road. It takes you to Route 44. That could mean 195 in Mansfield Center is not used for stadium traffic.

CL82

Reaction Score
And why, exactly would there be no tailgating? There’s ample room for parking.

Totally disagree with you regarding traffic management out of that location. You don’t need to have expanded Roads for six games a year. Just direct the traffic sensibly. Here in the Northeast, Rutgers does it and Army does it.

That said, Horsebarn Hill is a workable location. it probably would be the most problematic because the stadium, and stadium lights etc. are going to be seen for a long way.

The only thing I don’t like about discovery Drive is that it’s so far away from the rest of the athletic campuses, That the lots can’t be used for double duty for other sports. Otherwise, it’s pretty good location.

Same with the Mansfield training center site. But for being a couple of miles away from campus, it’s fine.

Completely disagree with you that there’s only one spot suitable for stadium on campus. There are plenty of choices.

Reaction Score
Horsebarn Hill is such an iconic site on the Storrs campus, you will likely get a huge fight if anything is built there, let alone a massive stadium. In many on campus locations, the football stadium is slightly away from other fields and buildings.

Reaction Score
Get rid of E.O.Smith and Hillside Circle. Problem sovled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom