East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | Page 17 | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
#1 agenda item is find a competent University President-What a disaster at the top!

And we do need to solve our president problem. BigTenFan is right. It has been a cluster in that position.
Well, for better or worse here she is. Chosen from a pool of 150 candidates. She’s been our acting President for several months.

Attachments

• A29FE841-D4C5-433C-B285-D732D7EC651F.jpeg
    A29FE841-D4C5-433C-B285-D732D7EC651F.jpeg
    820.3 KB · Views: 96
Reaction Score
You have obviously never attended a game at UWV, UNC, Notre Dame, Penn StateKentucky, etc.
No but I have been to many games at Giants Stadium / Metlife and it's a royal pain getting out of there. 35 - 40k is a pipe dream right now I concede, but it's not out of reality given the proper conference affiliation (for football). Those NIMBY Mansfield folks would lose their $!it and I'm certain that that's the biggest hurdle. Remember that interstate to Providence that's going to be completed? Reality is the stadium is in East Hartford and that's where they're going to play for the foreseeable future. If the building needs fixing then fix it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You have obviously never attended a game at UWV, UNC, Notre Dame, Penn StateKentucky, etc.
Yeah but that has been entrenched in the fan culture if those schools for nany decades. A perfect example (drawing from a different thread) is Nebraska. Their attendance has not suffered from a couple of decades of subpar or worse football by their standards. While I will admit where we have fallen is miles below the abyss they are currently residing. What percentage of our fans (regardless of location venue) would continue attending under similar circumstances?

Add to this the facts that a) there isn't close to the infrastructure necessary to transport that many people to and from campus over the course of a weekend and b) there is such resistance by the locals to anything that may cause additional congestion in their rural paradise, building an on-campus football stadium now would be senseless.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Add to this the facts that a) there isn't close to the infrastructure necessary to transport that many people to and from campus over the course of a weekend
What exactly do you base this “fact“? Traffic studies? Years as a civil engineer with a specialization in traffic management? No? Oh then it kind of seems more like an opinion than a fact.

I get it, based upon your handle, games in Storrs might be 30 minutes more inconvenient for you, but the notion that it is impossible to get football crowds in and out of stores six games a year without running a super highway up to the front door of the stadium is just wrong. The vast majority of college campuses seem to handle it quite well. I suspect we could too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is such resistance by the locals to anything that may cause additional congestion in their rural paradise
This keeps getting repeated by many of you as the reason the idea of an on-campus stadium won't fly. That may have happened back at the beginning of our ascent to D-1, but this is a new day. What would happen if the Mansfield folks were incentivized to support six Saturdays a year of traffic congestion? Why are we willing to simply concede that they'll never change their perspective? If we had that attitude, half of the projects in the nation would never have gotten off the ground.

Reaction Score
Grew up in Storrs. A modern stadium in Storrs would be a great experience, for both on campus students and visitors. However, Storrs does have infrastructure issues. Roads being obvious. I recommend reading "H2Woe: The thirst for water at the University of Connecticut" by Charles Vidich. Could Mansfield's water supply support a new stadium?

Reaction Score
This keeps getting repeated by many of you as the reason the idea of an on-campus stadium won't fly. That may have happened back at the beginning of our ascent to D-1, but this is a new day. What would happen if the Mansfield folks were incentivized to support six Saturdays a year of traffic congestion? Why are we willing to simply concede that they'll never change their perspective?
I get the WIIFM quid pro quo (and don’t disagee) but it’s also not like Town opposition to UConn building plans hasn’t recently occurred for much less potential congestion/traffic (see paragraph below pic from 2020 on the new Toscano Family Ice Forum planning process):

1664468823257.jpeg

(… and for the record, I have no issues conceptually with an on-campus stadium & would support it - heck I drive up from New Haven area for weekday/weekend baseball games).

CL82

Reaction Score
Grew up in Storrs. A modern stadium in Storrs would be a great experience, for both on campus students and visitors. However, Storrs does have infrastructure issues. Roads being obvious. I recommend reading "H2Woe: The thirst for water at the University of Connecticut" by Charles Vidich. Could Mansfield's water supply support a new stadium?
How big is the water demand for home games at a stadium six times a year? I don’t know the answer, but I suspect it isn’t insurmountable.

Also, my understanding is as long as the target site is entirely on the campus and there are no required permissions from Mansfield. People can squawk all they want, and they want to squawk a lot in Mansfield, but they can’t stop the project.

That said, we have a field, it’s a great field, but it’s in East Hartford. That’s not changing in the foreseeable future. I just don’t see the point of inventing reasons why we “can’t“ build in Storrs. We can, we just aren’t going to within the near future.

Reaction Score
Imagine if the new President of UConn made this public statement (after stressing her commitment to raising the University's academic excellence, promoting diversity and increasing the number of STEM grants, etc)." And I also will be seeking the return of UConn Football to an on-campus stadium where it belongs. I'll be reaching out to the Governor, Legislature and the Town of Mansfield to make it a reality. An on-campus football experience is one of the greatest drivers of alumni engagement and support. Football Saturdays on campus also provide exposure for prospective students looking for a place to spend their college years. UConn is a truly national University. Football on campus will only enhance that image."
Everything starts with a statement of committed resolve to pursue a goal. That's what got America to the moon.

Reaction Score
The water problem is not an issue anymore as a pipe to Shenipsit Lake Reservoir was put in in 2016. This can be used for supplemental needs as the Fenton River and Willimantic River wellfields are the main supply sources. I believe the Connecticut Water Company is managing UConns water system now. The Depot campus is supplied from the Willimantic wellfields only. The State could be relocating Windham Tech to the old Mansfield Prison side of the Depot Campus which would require more water from those wellfields. A campus stadium would have plenty of water if needed.

Reaction Score
No but I have been to many games at Giants Stadium / Metlife and it's a royal pain getting out of there. 35 - 40k is a pipe dream right now I concede, but it's not out of reality given the proper conference affiliation (for football). Those NIMBY Mansfield folks would lose their $!it and I'm certain that that's the biggest hurdle. Remember that interstate to Providence that's going to be completed? Reality is the stadium is in East Hartford and that's where they're going to play for the foreseeable future. If the building needs fixing then fix it.
And imagine the traffic if Scott Haney is predicting flurries. Oh wait, no one will go to the game if that is the case

Reaction Score
I don't think that water is the issue, but there may not be enough air for people to breath for a new stadium in Storrs. God knows this thread has sucked most of the air out of the Boneyard.

Why do I beat my head against the wall? Because it feels good when I stop!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How big is the water demand for home games at a stadium six times a year? I don’t know the answer, but I suspect it isn’t insurmountable.

Also, my understanding is as long as the target site is entirely on the campus and there are no required permissions from Mansfield. People can squawk all they want, and they want to squawk a lot in Mansfield, but they can’t stop the project.

That said, we have a field, it’s a great field, but it’s in East Hartford. That’s not changing in the foreseeable future. I just don’t see the point of inventing reasons why we “can’t“ build in Storrs. We can, we just aren’t going to within the near future.
The water problem is not an issue anymore as a pipe to Shenipsit Lake Reservoir was put in in 2016. This can be used for supplemental needs as the Fenton River and Willimantic River wellfields are the main supply sources. I believe the Connecticut Water Company is managing UConns water system now. The Depot campus is supplied from the Willimantic wellfields only. The State could be relocating Windham Tech to the old Mansfield Prison side of the Depot Campus which would require more water from those wellfields. A campus stadium would have plenty of water if needed.

Regardless you build a water tower which slowly fills up and withstands the higher usage on game day and then slowly refills throughout the week. This isn't rocket science.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't think that water is the issue, but there may not be enough air for people to breath for a new stadium in Storrs
I know I left Gampel short of breath when they were only 7000 people there. I can’t imagine the competition for oxygen with 40,000 people.

Reaction Score
So, UConn just needs donors to cough up $800m?
The state just approved a mediocre looking new dorm in South Campus. It's price tag is $215M. I don't think $500 million for a decent stadium that can be used for other purposes, such as a single graduation ceremony, is out of line. Also, if the new stadium has inside exhibition and meeting rooms (ideal for corporate sponsors of UConn football games) they also could be used by companies for presentations. UConn is trying to get such businesses to locate research facilities on Discovery Drive.

Reaction Score
So, UConn just needs donors to cough up $800m?
Nope, our stadium would cost roughly $400M. That means we need some big donors to collectively throw in $100M (we easily have 150 of them with the wherewithal to do that--and more.) Then look for 30,000 alumni (out of 250,000) to throw in $10K each. Add in naming rights and Voilà.

Reaction Score
I know I left Gampel short of breath when they were only 7000 people there. I can’t imagine the competition for oxygen with 40,000 people.
They'll have to hand out oxygen tanks.

Reaction Score
People will start coming to games?
Ha!--Not because they love the stadium's name. Naming rights will help in paying for the stadium. Fans will come to a winning program, but they'll come in greater numbers to enjoy a campus based game-day experience--especially the students. Once this idea of a viable on-campus stadium gets a kickstart, it will take on a life of its own--and an aura of inevitability--just like electric cars.

Reaction Score
Watching the Kansas TCU game. We need to build a “Kansas type” of stadium on campus. Fans can only access their seats via portals—no standing around in an open concourse to watch the game. The cost is manageable and the design provides the optimal “home field” effect. Get on it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Watching the Kansas TCU game. We need to build a “Kansas type” of stadium on campus. Fans can only access their seats via portals—no standing around in an open concourse to watch the game. The cost is manageable and the design provides the optimal “home field” effect. Get on it.
It’s pretty old. I haven’t been since the renovations but it wasn’t exactly state of the art. Then again, neither is AFH, and it’s amazing. Some very cold aluminum bleachers. The situation and view back up the hill are cool though. not sure where UConn would be able to build something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom