East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Background threads: Rentschler Field managers urge state to upgrade the stadium

Alternate access link here <<

-> A top-to-bottom study of East Hartford’s Rentschler Field — home to the University of Connecticut’s football team — recommends $63 million in improvements to ensure the venue keeps up with evolving Division 1 standards. The cost of the renovations to the state-owned, 38,000-seat stadium, which turns 20 next year, could be spread out over five years. The investment would carry the stadium through the next 10-15 years. <-

-> The renovations would cover new roofs and the replacement of aging elevators and a broad spectrum of building systems; dealing with major water leaks; and upgrading technology, especially for game broadcasts, that has been outdated for years. <-

-> Now was a logical time to pursue the study, which cost $330,000, because of the age of the building, coupled with the expiration of the lease and other management agreements, Freimuth said. “So, all these things are kind of queuing up,” Freimuth said. <-

Edit: Jump to post #124 for actual study documents

Reaction Score
3qmscc.jpg

Reaction Score
This is not a shock. The blueprints were copies of Louisville's stadium which has already been renovated. Question is how fast the State acts on this recommendation.
AND, if the State DOES decide to approve the reno job, does it also approve the stadium expansion that is already blueprinted?

Reaction Score
It was a piece of garbage when I first went in 2005. The most basic design. Want people there? Put covers over the seats like most European soccer stadiums. Even the 20-30k seaters have it

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> A top-to-bottom study of East Hartford’s Rentschler Field — home to the University of Connecticut’s football team — recommends $63 million in improvements to ensure the venue keeps up with evolving Division 1 standards.

The cost of the renovations to the state-owned, 38,000-seat stadium, which turns 20 next year, could be spread out over five years. The investment would carry the stadium through the next 10-15 years. <-

-> The renovations would cover new roofs and the replacement of aging elevators and a broad spectrum of building systems; dealing with major water leaks; and upgrading technology, especially for game broadcasts, that has been outdated for years. <-

-> Now was a logical time to pursue the study, which cost $330,000, because of the age of the building, coupled with the expiration of the lease and other management agreements, Freimuth said. “So, all these things are kind of queuing up,” Freimuth said. <-

The article says the turnstile count at Syracuse was 15,657. The box score on the AD website shows 25,114.

Reaction Score
The article says the turnstile count at Syracuse was 15,657. The box score on the AD website shows 25,114.
There’s always a disconnect between tickets sold/distributed and butts in seats (been that way for decades and it’s not just @ UConn and not just for CFB).

Reaction Score
Unfortunately a colossal waste of money to pour into a stadium so far from campus with virtually no use outside of UConn football, but way cheaper than an on campus stadium build. Wish we could just ditch the renovation and build 25k on campus

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Lot of money. Build a stadium in Storrs. Give the Rent to Central CT, have them join the Colonial.
Because Central Connecticut doesn’t deserve a renovated stadium?;)

Well if any of you out there are billionaires, now is the time to write a check for an on-campus stadium.

(The Rent is a great place to see a game without a bad seat in the house and the tailgating is tremendous. I love the place. I would just love it more if it were located on campus.)

Reaction Score
Unfortunately a colossal waste of money to pour into a stadium so far from campus with virtually no use outside of UConn football, but way cheaper than an on campus stadium build. Wish we could just ditch the renovation and build 25k on campus
Thank you for your interest in Connecticut football...

Reaction Score
The staff has a habit of not bothering to scan tickets. They didn't scan my group this time....like most times really. Scanner too slow.
I was going to write exactly that. Though in my case, the scanner wouldn’t work after the first ticket so they just said go ahead in.

FWIW, THOUGH I think 25000 is much closer than 15 for last Saturday’s game.

Reaction Score
I was going to write exactly that. Though in my case, the scanner wouldn’t work after the first ticket so they just said go ahead in.

FWIW, THOUGH I think 25000 is much closer than 15 for last Saturday’s game.
Yep. No way that was only 15k. Maybe the scanners can be upgraded too.

Reaction Score
IMO not worth throwing any money at it unless it’s in the 100s of millions. And thats not going to happen. It’s a dump. Not a bad place to watch a game but it’s a complete eyesore that lacks sooo much.

Reaction Score
The staff has a habit of not bothering to scan tickets. They didn't scan my group this time....like most times really. Scanner too slow.
Me too. I had 8 all on my phone. Scanned mine and waved the rest of my party through.

Reaction Score
You need to spend the money even if the building is given to CCSU. It is no longer up to date. Everything gets old and worn out after 20 years and needs to be refurbished. There are people who say build a new one on campus because it makes no sense to have it in East Hartford. My question is where, do most of the people who attend the games come from? Is East Hartford easer for them to get to? We all know the tail gating is great there because of all the space. Would it be the same on campus?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
How often are the elevators used? It's not like the place is occupied 365 days a year!!

Since this is UConn's home for football and I have been going since Day 1, l welcome the renovations.

Reaction Score
The stadium does its job. You sit your butt in the seat and watch a game on a field. There is no need to spend that kind of money. Fix basic structural items to manage its life and let it be. The media infrastructure costs and other keep up with Jones expenses are an absolute joke. Until this program produces. They need to sit tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom