East Catholic McGuirl | Page 2 | The Boneyard

East Catholic McGuirl

Reaction Score
So who gets cut from the #8 recruiting class in country to get someone who had to redshirt his freshman year at K state

A. Vance Jackson
B. Juwan Durham
C. Alterique Gilbert
D. Christian Vital
E. Mamadou Diarra

I could be wrong, but I think he is a true freshman. I think he graduated last year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You think McGuirl has a good handle? What are you watching? He's lost the ball multiple times and just barely gotten it back. His handle sucks for his size at the high-major d1 level.

He's a decent defender. Has good athleticism. There is plenty of potential because of that, which is why he was recruited. NOT because of his skills right now.

He's averaging 4 points on 37% shooting and 28% from 3.

I do not think we should feel bad about missing this kid at all. And this is coming from someone who was sitting on the bench as he obliterated out team for 2 years.

Kids we should be angry about missing:
- Donovan Mitchell
- Bonzie Colson
- NOT Mike freaking Mcguirl.

Have you watched UConn basketball this season?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So who gets cut from the #8 recruiting class in country to get someone who had to redshirt his freshman year at K state

A. Vance Jackson
B. Juwan Durham
C. Alterique Gilbert
D. Christian Vital
E. Mamadou Diarra

I thought he was class of 17?

Reaction Score
You think McGuirl has a good handle? What are you watching? He's lost the ball multiple times and just barely gotten it back. His handle sucks for his size at the high-major d1 level.

He's a decent defender. Has good athleticism. There is plenty of potential because of that, which is why he was recruited. NOT because of his skills right now.

He's averaging 4 points on 37% shooting and 28% from 3.

I do not think we should feel bad about missing this kid at all. And this is coming from someone who was sitting on the bench as he obliterated out team for 2 years.

Kids we should be angry about missing:
- Donovan Mitchell
- Bonzie Colson
- NOT Mike freaking Mcguirl.
Umm... he's on the court beating Kentucky...we are home with hand picked recruits that dwell at the bottom of the AAC...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Umm... he's on the court beating Kentucky...we are home with hand picked recruits that dwell at the bottom of the AAC...

How good the team around him is does nothing to refute any of @husky429's actual evaluations of his skills. Nice try though.

Reaction Score
In any case, the past is the past. Looking forward to some great recruiting and development going forward.

Reaction Score

He has 3 points on 1/3 shooting, don't get carried away. Regardles, one game doesn't change the body of work. I've watched many of his games, in HS and college.

Yes, he could have played for uconn. But like a few of our players, that doesn't mean he should have been recruited here.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Our guards' handles were one of the few non-issues this past year. Besides JA's errant passes, I felt like all three could at least hang onto the ball for the most part.

Reaction Score

Yes. His handle was much, much worse than Adams'. Not as good as Andersons. Probably a bit like Vital, but stiffer with the ball.

I literally scouted this kid in high school 6+ times and have watched him 10x this year specifically to watch him play since I know him. I'm not make this up

Reaction Score
I thought he was class of 17?

Someone posted he redshirted his freshman year. After looking it up it looks like this is his true freshman year so disregard my original post

Reaction Score
How good the team around him is does nothing to refute any of @husky429's actual evaluations of his skills. Nice try though.
Ive got no dog in the fight. I've seen the kid play many times in High School. His one weakness was hero ball and getting out of control at times. He can score and make plays... something that is a rare commodity on the present squad. My original question was if there was any back story, because his talent, scoring and play making aptitude were fairly obvious. The fact that he has floor time at K-State suggests the coach disagrees with your sssesdment. I don't know why there is a reflexive need to defend KO and justify his ineptitude.

Reaction Score
Someone posted he redshirted his freshman year. After looking it up it looks like this is his true freshman year so disregard my original post
Thats what I thought.. but senility makes you think twice

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Ive got no dog in the fight. I've seen the kid play many times in High School. His one weakness was hero ball and getting out of control at times. He can score and make plays... something that is a rare commodity on the present squad. My original question was if there was any back story, because his talent, scoring and play making aptitude were fairly obvious. The fact that he has floor time at K-State suggests the coach disagrees with your sssesdment. I don't know why there is a reflexive need to defend KO and justify his ineptitude.

It's ironic reading this and knowing that a commitment from any other kid with that offer list would've had you calling for a firing on the spot.

Reaction Score

Coming out of high school he was a high risk, high reward kind of guard. He did not have the skill set to play at his size. Hence his offer list. K-state took a risk because he has potential to be a productive college player.

Generally coaches take risks on big men, not guards. We already have a guard very similar to him in vital.

He was redundant and not good enough for uconn. Playing glastonbury, s windsor and tolland is very different than NEPSAC.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Question for those in the know. How the heck did KO whiff on Mike McGuirl? Was he asleep at the wheel? It looks like UConn didn't even give him a look.

He fuct up!!!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

A. Vance Jackson
B. Juwan Durham
C. Alterique Gilbert
D. Christian Vital
E. Mamadou Diarra
That group being the 8th highest class says more about how the recruiting rankings are bogus than KO as a recruiter. In that class there are two dudes with chronic knee problems, one dude with a bum shoulder, a dude who is allergic to defense and a dude who is allergic to shot selection.

I’m looking forward to Hurley putting together a TEAM, not whatever it was that Ollie was doing.

Reaction Score
Crazy idea....KO is gone, lets just move past it.

I know, will never work.

We Uconn fans have a ton to look forward to moving forward including a brand new coach for 2018/19!!

Reaction Score
It's ironic reading this and knowing that a commitment from any other kid with that offer list would've had you calling for a firing on the spot.
You got the wrong guy. I don't care what the rating services say generally unless we are talking real blue chip players. I've never complained about recruiting choices. I much rather rely on good coaching assessment and judgment... which in our case was lacking. My beef was always lack of execution, bad offensive scheme and no player development.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Question for those in the know. How the heck did KO whiff on Mike McGuirl? Was he asleep at the wheel? It looks like UConn didn't even give him a look. Doing pretty well coming off the bench as a Frosh for K State.

KO probably saw him play and thought, hey, he’s not that good.

Because he’s not.

He’s had one good game for K State.

Reaction Score
Moving on.....what and who's in our future is all I want to know. The past is just that, the past

Reaction Score
The kid is a tough kid and does some dirty work. Strong and able to guard people but he's not standing out in a crowd with his skills. I mean overtime he gets the ball he looks to get rid of it or else he looks like he doesn't know what to do with it quite honestly. Could turn out to be a nice player off the bench or a spot starter but let's not believe we missed out on something special here.

Reaction Score
Question for those in the know. How the heck did KO whiff on Mike McGuirl? Was he asleep at the wheel? It looks like UConn didn't even give him a look. Doing pretty well coming off the bench as a Frosh for K State.

Visions of the Jimmy Calhoun "mushroom cloud" post game interview regarding a pudgy instate power foward going to pc dance through my head...

Reaction Score
Mike is a good athlete and very hard worker that is blooming late and will be a very good player as an upperclassman. It was a nice signing by Kansas State.

Reaction Score
There would have been 50 posts on this board about how KO was incompetent to recruit such a low ranked player. And now he's incompetent because he didn't.
Spectacular.

Reaction Score
KO probably saw him play and thought, hey, he’s not that good.

Because he’s not.

He’s had one good game for K State.
He will be a very good college player, IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom