East Catholic McGuirl | The Boneyard

East Catholic McGuirl

Reaction Score
Question for those in the know. How the heck did KO whiff on Mike McGuirl? Was he asleep at the wheel? It looks like UConn didn't even give him a look. Doing pretty well coming off the bench as a Frosh for K State.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Question for those in the know. How the heck did KO whiff on Mike McGuirl? Was he asleep at the wheel? It looks like UConn didn't even give him a look. Doing pretty well coming off the bench as a Frosh for K State.
The one that really hurts is Kellan Grady from Boston, who went to Davidson. Oh a 6-foot-5 shooter who can handle? Who needs that guy!

tbf tho everyone in New England missed on him. Still frustrating.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
His other offers coming out of high school:

Sacred Heart, UHart, Vermont, NJIT, Brown, Quinnipiac, Holy Cross, Penn, Siena, Hofstra, George Mason, BU, St. Bonaventure, Fairfield, Northeastern, and Duquesne.

Weber definitely got himself a steal, but would you have been happy if UConn signed a player whose other options were those schools?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Sacred Heart, UHart, Vermont, NJIT, Brown, Quinnipiac, Holy Cross, Penn, Siena, Hofstra, George Mason, BU, St. Bonaventure, Fairfield, Northeastern, and Duquesne.

Weber definitely got himself a steal, but would you have been happy if UConn signed a player whose other options were those schools?

But instead, we had DO and Anderson....

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
But instead, we had DO and Anderson....

How much happier would you have been if one of those spots had been taken by a recruit whose offers mainly consisted of MAAC and Ivy schools?

Reaction Score

Kid can play and can score. I'd like to think we had better than average talent evaluation skills, but as our roster indicates KO was no super evaluator.

Reaction Score
How much happier would you have been if one of those spots had been taken by a recruit whose offers mainly consisted of MAAC and Ivy schools?
Legit question, what made Weber go for him?

polycom

Reaction Score

Stain, I know you understand about evaluating talent and it was clear that this kid was going to be more talented over 4 than DO over 1.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah he was asleep at the wheel
As was every P5, Big East and AAC coach
The kid was recruited by 1 P5 team - KState
Let's keep digging KO - especially this case - the kid had 0 national ranking and was given 0 stars
Here is the list of his recruiters:

Kansas State
Committed
9/9/16

Boston University

Duquesne

Fairfield

George Mason

Hofstra

Holy Cross

Northeastern

Siena

Last edited:

polycom

Reaction Score
The kid was recruited by 1 P5 team - KState and he redshirted his 1st year
Let's keep digging KO - especially this case - the kid had 0 national ranking and was given 0 stars

Kansas State
Committed
9/9/16

Boston University

Duquesne

Fairfield

George Mason

Hofstra

Holy Cross

Northeastern

Siena

What? KO passes his school on the way home. (Not really but kind of) He should absolutely have visited this kid.

polycom

Reaction Score
For 1 year vs. 4. That is the benefit of grad transfers.

Not sure I understand your point unless you're referencing your previous thread.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Stain, I know you understand about evaluating talent and it was clear that this kid was going to be more talented over 4 than DO over 1.

Of course. A fit would've still been thrown if it were McGuirl who got Onuorah's ship.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he is arguing that DO was a better option. More that do you want to commit four years to a player who’s other offers were low level D1 schools?

Kellan Grady at NMH was and will be a bigger whiff.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he is arguing that DO was a better option. More that do you want to commit four years to a player who’s other offers were low level D1 schools?

The one that really hurts is Kellan Grady from Boston, who went to Davidson. Oh a 6-foot-5 shooter who can handle? Who needs that guy!

tbf tho everyone in New England missed on him. Still frustrating.

Guess who offered Grady? Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
The kid was recruited by 1 P5 team - KState and he redshirted his 1st year

Kansas State
Committed
9/9/16

Boston University

Duquesne

Fairfield

George Mason

Hofstra

Holy Cross

Northeastern

Siena
Not digging at KO. He did himself in. Comparatively speaking, you've got a kid getting major floor time as Frosh in the Sweet 16. He obviously has got a good handle and skills and didn't magically appear. Clearly he was under recruited and went under the radar, but being in UConn's backyard you'd think they would have better insight.

polycom

Reaction Score

We always give Calhoun credit for being an excellent talent evaluator we need to be frank that KO was not that. Making excuses makes no sense he isn't even our coach anymore.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Kid can play and can score. I'd like to think we had better than average talent evaluation skills, but as our roster indicates KO was no super evaluator.

The kids from the past couple of years who people say (perhaps truthfully) would have never cracked the rotation of the UConn teams of old? When they signed, they had far better offer lists and established track records against tougher competition than the CIAC.

It’s called talent evaluation. Some are better at it than others. We need to find the diamonds in the rough.

No, we need to find a mix of 4 star kids and high 3-star kids.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about?

I agree with that just not sure Mike Mcguirl is gonna be the local recruit that will haunt you the most...

Who is making excuses for Kevin Ollie? Certainly not me.

Reaction Score
What? KO passes his school on the way home. (Not really but kind of) He should absolutely have visited this kid.

So who gets cut from the #8 recruiting class in country to get someone who had to redshirt his freshman year at K state

A. Vance Jackson
B. Juwan Durham
C. Alterique Gilbert
D. Christian Vital
E. Mamadou Diarra

Reaction Score
Not digging at KO. He did himself in. Comparatively speaking, you've got a kid getting major floor time as Frosh in the Sweet 16. He obviously has got a good handle and skills and didn't magically appear. Clearly he was under recruited and went under the radar, but being in UConn's backyard you'd think they would have better insight.

You think McGuirl has a good handle? What are you watching? He's lost the ball multiple times and just barely gotten it back. His handle sucks for his size at the high-major d1 level.

He's a decent defender. Has good athleticism. There is plenty of potential because of that, which is why he was recruited. NOT because of his skills right now.

He's averaging 4 points on 37% shooting and 28% from 3.

I do not think we should feel bad about missing this kid at all. And this is coming from someone who was sitting on the bench as he obliterated out team for 2 years.

Kids we should be angry about missing:
- Donovan Mitchell
- Bonzie Colson
- NOT Mike freaking Mcguirl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member