Early Signing Period Updates- 11/13 to 11/20 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Early Signing Period Updates- 11/13 to 11/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
If he signs a grant in aid, he's basically a recruitable player - and he'll be recruited, especially come spring when transfers and the NBA take their tax.

UConn would not be able to bank on him until he's in a dorm room next summer.

A letter of intent basically ends it.

It used to work that way, you are kidding yourself if you think a LOI would stop USC or UCLA.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
A lot of top recruits are taking the financial aid agreement route instead of a LOI the last few years because of it's flexibility. I'm pretty a lot of Kentucky's recruits sign a financial aid agreement just in case the Squid leaves for the NBA or what not. I know for a fact that Brandon Knight and Terrance Jones signed financial aid agreements instead of LOIs (http://dailyuw.com/archive/2010/05/...greements-could-do-more-bad-good#.Uoaw_8STjIU).

Reaction Score
Stanley Johnson also signed a financial aid agreement, no LOI

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It used to work that way, you are kidding yourself if you think a LOI would stop USC or UCLA.

Well, unless he wants to give up a year of availability a LOI is binding and will stop other schools from recruiting him.

What is the National Letter of Intent (NLI)?
The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution

• A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
  • The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
Basic penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.

caw

Reaction Score
Well, unless he wants to give up a year of availability a LOI is binding and will stop other schools from recruiting him.

What is the National Letter of Intent (NLI)?
The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution

• [ ]A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
    [ ]The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
Basic penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.

Right because a) the NCAA doesn't make exceptions randomly and b) well, let's just say tampering incidents are talked about quite a bit with a kid sitting out a year at UCLA.

Reaction Score
"*** No official word on letters-of-intent from Daniel Hamilton, Rakim Lubin and Sam Cassell, Jr., though it appears UConn is waiting to receive all three (or two, or however it may work out) before making an announcement.

But we'll reiterate: the Huskies are not worried about Hamilton backing off his commitment, as has been speculated."

Borges: http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2013/11/is-amida-brimah-next-in-uconns-long.html

11/16/2013

Reaction Score
Hamilton, the highest rated of the class, was said to be very impressed by what he saw in Brooklyn last week - and especially excited about playing with Brimah.

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-men/u...iversity-notes-quotes-thoughts-from-practice/
duck* yeah Brimah!
idztgSRPzzMvT.gif

Reaction Score
Hamilton nobody really knows what wi happen right now.
Hamilton is going to UConn because of Ollie. The Hamiltons know that Ollie is good enough, and high-profile enough, to draw interest from "elsewhere" by the end of the season.

If Ollie goes elsewhere, Hamilton wants to preserve his ability to do the same. If Ollie stays at UConn, Hamilton will go to UConn.

FWIW, if I was a top prospective college athlete, I would never, ever sign a LOI. It's different for Lubin and even Cassell, because UConn is far and away the best they can do.

For Hamilton? The moment he budges an inch, he'll have every one of the top 15 schools in the nation offering him a scholarship.

The kid's just being smart. I look forward to watching him come off the bench for our national title team next year.

Reaction Score
Shabazz Napier recalls when Brimah committed to the Huskies, nobody knew much about him.

“I think we looked, but he didn’t have a lot of highlights on YouTube. He had one where he was just blocking little kids’ shots, so we were like, that’s one thing he knows how to do well, but we didn’t expect much. We expected a helping hand, but he’s been doing so much for this team.”

Lol....Many of us said the same thing after seeing Brimah's Youtube highlights. Boy, how things have changed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I actually remember the board being fairly impressed by the YouTube video we saw when UConn was recruiting the kid last year.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is going to UConn because of Ollie. The Hamiltons know that Ollie is good enough, and high-profile enough, to draw interest from "elsewhere" by the end of the season.

If Ollie goes elsewhere, Hamilton wants to preserve his ability to do the same. If Ollie stays at UConn, Hamilton will go to UConn.

FWIW, if I was a top prospective college athlete, I would never, ever sign a LOI. It's different for Lubin and even Cassell, because UConn is far and away the best they can do.

For Hamilton? The moment he budges an inch, he'll have every one of the top 15 schools in the nation offering him a scholarship.

The kid's just being smart. I look forward to watching him come off the bench for our national title team next year.
I hope you're right along with the Borges. My heart says he sticks with Ollie. My mind tells me that there are programs that will not stop till there's a point of no return for Daniel, and some coaches will do just about anything to get who they want.

Even if he's rock solid and decides not to sign an LOI, I along with most of us here will not feel confident till he arrives on campus next fall. Hum...does anyone know if a college athlete is locked into a school once they begin to take summer classes at that school?

Reaction Score
I hope you're right along with the Borges. My heart says he sticks with Ollie. My mind tells me that there are programs that will not stop till there's a point of no return for Daniel, and some coaches will do just about anything to get who they want.

Even if he's rock solid and decides not to sign an LOI, I along with most of us here will not feel confident till he arrives on campus next fall. Hum...does anyone know if a college athlete is locked into a school once they begin to take summer classes at that school?

Where else can he go that will give him a solid education, world class facilities, a chance at a national championship and a path to the NBA? Only a handful of schools offer all of that, and most of those schools have no space for him. He'll show up at Uconn and make a name for himself like those before him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I actually remember the board being fairly impressed by the YouTube video we saw when UConn was recruiting the kid last year.
KO should send us on recruiting trips!

ctchamps

Reaction Score

More optimistic than you about Lubin and Cassell. By mid season I'm hoping they will show enough that many programs would wish they had them. Cassll will be coming to campus the age of a senior and Lubin, like Brimah was not observed on the AAU scene and had back trouble. I want their LOI's in hand.

Reaction Score
More optimistic than you about Lubin and Cassell. By mid season I'm hoping they will show enough that many programs would wish they had them. Cassll will be coming to campus the age of a senior and Lubin, like Brimah was not observed on the AAU scene and had back trouble. I want their LOI's in hand.
I'm not down on them by any stretch, but let's face it: the only schools that can compare to UConn in terms of competing at the national level and getting you into the league are Kentucky, UNC, KU and Duke. Maybe UCLA.

And none of those schools is going to jump on Lubin or Cassell if they decommit. Hamilton, on the other hand, would probably have three scholarship offers from that group before he was done speaking.

This doesn't mean Hamilton is better, or even that he will be better. It means that he could be -- maybe even should be -- better. His combination of size, skill and athleticism is elite, which is what top programs look for.

Cassell & Lubin, on the other hand, have shortcomings. Cassell isn't as athletic as the top kids, and Lubin hasn't been as productive.

Frankly, that doesn't bother me, because we have a history of winning with kids like that, and even putting a bunch of them into the league. But it explains why we competed with the likes of Maryland and Marquette for them instead of the likes of Arizona and Michigan.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm not down on them by any stretch, but let's face it: the only schools that can compare to UConn in terms of competing at the national level and getting you into the league are Kentucky, UNC, KU and Duke. Maybe UCLA.

And none of those schools is going to jump on Lubin or Cassell if they decommit. Hamilton, on the other hand, would probably have three scholarship offers from that group before he was done speaking.

This doesn't mean Hamilton is better, or even that he will be better. It means that he could be -- maybe even should be -- better. His combination of size, skill and athleticism is elite, which is what top programs look for.

Cassell & Lubin, on the other hand, have shortcomings. Cassell isn't as athletic as the top kids, and Lubin hasn't been as productive.

Frankly, that doesn't bother me, because we have a history of winning with kids like that, and even putting a bunch of them into the league. But it explains why we competed with the likes of Maryland and Marquette for them instead of the likes of Arizona and Michigan.
I understood where you were coming from. After seeing Abu going to NCS, Chuckwa to Providence, Kasongo to Oregon and Perkins to Gonzaga, I feel every recruit is in play for a possible change of heart. Since, in our opinions, Cassell and Lubin are two important pieces of the puzzle for UConn next year, other programs might look at them and see their importance. I wouldn't take for granted that any recruit is a lock.

Reaction Score

Out of curiosity, where would Ollie possibly go?

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, where would Ollie possibly go?
Fred Hoiberg has led Iowa State to 1 win in back to back tourneys, and has already been marked as top NBA coaching target because of his long playing career and short stint in the Minny front office. If KO leads us on a run in his first year eligible for the tourney he's gonna draw NBA interest, he was pretty much a manager of NBA lockerrooms during the end of his playing career(see Sam Priesti and Durant's comments regarding him). With all of the yearly turnover in the NBA there's always gonna be a front office targeting new blood instead of the same coaching retreads.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
[quotesee

People think Ollie might leave? C'mon.
="Matrim55, post: 753634, member: 3376"]Hamilton is going to UConn because of Ollie. The Hamiltons know that Ollie is good enough, and high-profile enough, to draw interest from "elsewhere" by the end of the season.

The kid's just being smart. I look forward to watching him come off the bench for our national title team next year.[/quote]
Are p

Reaction Score
Fred Hoiberg has led Iowa State to 1 win in back to back tourneys, and has already been marked as top NBA coaching target because of his long playing career and short stint in the Minny front office. If KO leads us on a run in his first year eligible for the tourney he's gonna draw NBA interest, he was pretty much a manager of NBA lockerrooms during the end of his playing career(see Sam Priesti and Durant's comments regarding him). With all of the yearly turnover in the NBA there's always gonna be a front office targeting new blood instead of the same coaching retreads.
I think we all can see Ollie as a potential NBA target down the road, but to think that DHam is holding out because of the fear of Ollie bolting for the NBA after two years is absurd. Just an fyi, prior to coaching at Iowa State, Hoiberg spent 6 years as an NBA assistant and held front office roles. Again, I do believe down the line, the threat of Ollie getting a NBA job is real, but not yet.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think we all can see Ollie as a potential NBA target down the road, but to think that DHam is holding out because of the fear of Ollie bolting for the NBA after two years is absurd. Just an fyi, prior to coaching at Iowa State, Hoiberg spent 6 years as an NBA assistant and held front office roles. Again, I do believe down the line, the threat of Ollie getting a NBA job is real, but not yet.
Larry Brown was quoted as saying KO asked his advice whether he should join JC or consider a coaching position in the NBA. So someone was considering KO in the past.

No way for anyone to know everything absolutely. Anything is possible. The Hamilton family got burned once so they are acting based on that experience.

My guess, and yes that is all it is, just a guess, is that KO will be a coach for a long time at UConn, a legacy coach, and DHam will be in a UConn uniform next season.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown was quoted as saying KO asked his advice whether he should join JC or consider a coaching position in the NBA. So someone was considering KO in the past.

No way for anyone to know everything absolutely. Anything is possible. The Hamilton family got burned once so they are acting based on that experience.

My guess, and yes that is all it is, just a guess, is that KO will be a coach for a long time at UConn, a legacy coach, and DHam will be in a UConn uniform next season.
as a head coach? again, i do think in time Ollie will be a great candidate. lets not get ahead of ourselves, i also think that ollie, as most coaches, would rather be the head coach of uconn vs an assistant in the nba.

Reaction Score
as a head coach? again, i do think in time Ollie will be a great candidate. lets not get ahead of ourselves, i also think that ollie, as most coaches, would rather be the head coach of uconn vs an assistant in the nba.

By the time Ollie is looking at an NBA position, he may have the comfort of a $2.5m per college contract and security. The NBA money is there but with only 5 years guaranteed, it's a lot less money in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom