Early Signing Period Updates- 11/13 to 11/20 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Early Signing Period Updates- 11/13 to 11/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Taking this thread away from DHam for a minute and back to the early signing period in general...

I wonder where Cliff Alexander, Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones end up tomorrow. Those decisions could have an impact on where JaQuan Lyle ends up. Last time I checked UConn was still on his list.

Reaction Score
I think we all need to be concerned. No word and no clear action displayed that a signature is coming is not a good sign. No Twitter needed to come to that conclusion.

Reaction Score
Every day he doesn't sign makes me more and more worried Daniel Hamilton will never make it to UConn. He can say all he wants that he loves his UConn fam on Twitter, but actions speak louder than words and he has yet to sign a LOI which means that he is not 100%. I hope I am wrong.

Actions do speak louder than words, he and his parents just spent the time and money to fly cross country and watch the team and then come back to campus. Unless they were just being very respectful in meeting with Ollie in person to tell him they changed their mind I would say that is a pretty strong indicator.

If it is really as some have suggested, that he is still fully committed but doesn't want to sign early, it would be nice if he came out and said so. He is no doubt aware of the budding rumors and while he certainly is not obligated to do anything a clear statement would be comforting.

Reaction Score
Hes probably 90-99% uconn ...if he was 100% he would of signed day 1 even with his brothers experience..im thinking hes 99% and loves uconn but no need to sign if its not last minute. Its smart really ..what if kevin somehow is no longer coach or we find a couple kids at his position we sign out of nowhere or maybe some sanctions come down on uconn out of nowhere...who knows i think its smart ..if u dont need to sign dont do it...sucks for the coaching staff because they recruit around the anticipation of landing him..but it will all turn out well.

Reaction Score
Actions do speak louder than words, he and his parents just spent the time and money to fly cross country and watch the team and then come back to campus. Unless they were just being very respectful in meeting with Ollie in person to tell him they changed their mind I would say that is a pretty strong indicator.

If it is really as some have suggested, that he is still fully committed but doesn't want to sign early, it would be nice if he came out and said so. He is no doubt aware of the budding rumors and while he certainly is not obligated to do anything a clear statement would be comforting.
A strong indication is DHam signing the letter of intent. Anything else leaves a window of doubt and growing concern. I said it in September when we missed out on most of our targets and I will say it again....until DHam signs and enrolls on campus, UConn's worst case scenario is playing out in front of us all. Some believe it more than others. Enjoy this season, it has the makings of another special one. Because who really knows, we UConn fans may not have to many more like it.

Reaction Score
A little off-topic, but there are rumors that Quentin Snider might flip back to Lousiville.

Reaction Score
A little off-topic, but there are rumors that Quentin Snider might flip back to Lousiville.
kinda surprising he committed to Ill in the first place if playing time was the reason he decommitted from Lou, Ill is stacked with guards.

Reaction Score
kinda surprising he committed to Ill in the first place if playing time was the reason he decommitted from Lou, Ill is stacked with guards.
And as soon as Jaquan Lyle decommitted from UL, you could probably guess what Snider was thinking.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Sorry but when you look at the twitter feed since the 7th or 8th for Hamilton everything points to Uconn and not UCLA… especially the one on the 8th where he seems that going to UCLA game is good only to support his brother.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 10.44.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 10.44.10 PM.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 87
Reaction Score
Sam Cassell Jr., one of UConn's recruits from the Class of 2014, acknowledged via Twitter this week that he signed and sent in his national letter of intent, but UConn has not acknowledged any letters. It's expected that Cassell, Daniel Hamilton and Rakim Lubin will all sign and submit letters, and it will be announced once the paperwork is processed. Coaches cannot comment on recruits until all the paperwork is received and completed.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-notes-1115-20131114,0,3046613.story

Reaction Score
Sam Cassell Jr., one of UConn's recruits from the Class of 2014, acknowledged via Twitter this week that he signed and sent in his national letter of intent, but UConn has not acknowledged any letters. It's expected that Cassell, Daniel Hamilton and Rakim Lubin will all sign and submit letters, and it will be announced once the paperwork is processed. Coaches cannot comment on recruits until all the paperwork is received and completed.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-notes-1115-20131114,0,3046613.story

Dom doesn't distinguish if it's scholly papers or a LOI (on dham front). Meyer has created quite a stir on twitter about this.

Last edited:

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Sorry but when you look at the twitter feed since the 7th or 8th for Hamilton everything points to Uconn and not UCLA… especially the one on the 8th where he seems that going to UCLA game is good only to support his brother.

Is that AZ the rapper (Edgar Sosa, part of the firm) representing UConn in twitter?!?

Reaction Score
What I'm thinking is the staff is waiting to get Lubin's LOI. Then they will announce the signing of Cassell and Lubin. Lubin should be signing in the next couple of days according to what his AAU coach told me.

Hamilton nobody really knows what wi happen right now. However, I fully expect him to be in a UConn uniform next year. Everybody that is saying that Hamilton will flip hasn't been told that by him or his family. They are just speculating.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
A strong indication is DHam signing the letter of intent. Anything else leaves a window of doubt and growing concern. I said it in September when we missed out on most of our targets and I will say it again....until DHam signs and enrolls on campus, UConn's worst case scenario is playing out in front of us all. Some believe it more than others. Enjoy this season, it has the makings of another special one. Because who really knows, we UConn fans may not have to many more like it.

Yes, the loss of 1 top 20 recruit would surely be the death knell for UConn BB.

Pretty much your 1st rodeo, I presume?

Reaction Score
Yes, the loss of 1 top 20 recruit would surely be the death knell for UConn BB.

Pretty much your 1st rodeo, I presume?
no point in talking in circles. it wouldnt be just 1 recruit as uconn missed out on all its initial targets. and yes, it could foreshadow what lies ahead in a weak conference.

Reaction Score
Haha....hahahahaha..........hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Thanks I needed that laugh today. On a serious note, though, it could be a good under the radar move. With Cooley, it appears anything is possible on the trail for PC. Sounds kind of like what we did with Daniels. At the end of the day, though, I think Lyle to Memphis is most likely, if we are unable to reel him in.

Reaction Score

UConn announced they are not recruiting him a long while back. I'd be shocked if he ended up here. Last I read a month ago, he was raving about his UConn visit, and even after Cassell committed, he said he could definitely see himself playing alongside him.

A month ago people at UConn told the press they were through recruiting guards (Hamilton and Cassell being the two commits), and this had repercussions with Devin Robinson. His coach announced that UConn was no longer contacting Robinson.

I don't know much about Lyle but a lot of people are talking about his grades.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
no point in talking in circles. it wouldnt be just 1 recruit as uconn missed out on all its initial targets. and yes, it could foreshadow what lies ahead in a weak conference.

Impossible to fairly evaluate Ollie as a recruiter until he's had one full cycle to recruit. 2015 recruiting will paint a more accurate portrayal.

Based on his progress so far of Retaining Samuel / Facey, then adding Brimah, Purvis and possibly Hamilton, I'm very optimistic that KO will do fine on the recruiting trail in the years to come.

As to your conference mention, terms like weak, putrid, dumpster-fire, etc are far too generous. AAC is a terrible home for UConn athletics.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

Although I do sympathize with your point of view....kinda

Explain the #2 Recruiting Class in the nation by no other than AAC Memphis.
VCU is currently 14th or something for 2014 I think...
Point being, very much like death & taxes, one can also expect "change" to be an absolute constant. Things change bro, and so has the recruitment of high school athletes, especially with what matters in their decisions. Just my two cents, but their top priorities will be: NBA development (coach), the ability to be seen nationally on reg basis (increase their hype).....conferences matter very little, if a program sustains respect.

How we do this season, i feel is just as important as last year, if we expect to continually be considered one of the top programs in the country. We must have a deep run in the tourney come 2014. Not for bragging rights, but to reaffirm to all the high school stars nationally, that UConn has not and will not skip a beat, post-Calhoun. This very question still lingers in the minds of many, so we must strake hard and strike fast this year. Especially with not being able to prove it last year, in addition to the new crutch of being placed in the AAC (although I think it's a lot better than the media projects it to be)

2013-2014 is so vital!

Reaction Score
No reason to worry about this, let it play out, trust that KO will take care of business.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How we do this season, i feel is just as important as last year, if we expect to continually be considered one of the top programs in the country. We must have a deep run in the tourney come 2014. Not for bragging rights, but to reaffirm to all the high school stars nationally, that UConn has not and will not skip a beat, post-Calhoun. This very question still lingers in the minds of many, so we must strake hard and strike fast this year. Especially with not being able to prove it last year, in addition to the new crutch of being placed in the AAC (although I think it's a lot better than the media projects it to be)

2013-2014 is so vital!

Both of these issues: (1) retaining our only marquee recruit over the previous 3 years, and (2) performing to our status as a national power in 2013-14 have tremendous implications for our place in the college basketball landscape going forward, especially vis a vis recruiting.

I can easily envision a scenario where Hamilton bails, we have a decent-but-not-great season (say 3rd in the AAC, #5 seed, 2nd round exit), and get zero buzz or positive press. This signals to future recruits that UConn is no longer a destination for top talent looking to market themselves for the NBA.

Conversely, if Hamilton remains solid, we get to the Final Four, and generally look the part of a blue blood, Ollie should have no trouble attracting studs in the class of 2015 in beyond.

In college basketball, success breeds success, and our current situation seriously magnifies that effect.

Reaction Score

Look, its a fair enough point but I just don't know why anybody would want to go through life always seeing the potential negatives of a given situation. It's got to be simply miserable living like that.

To wit, how many times has this board imploded over missed recruits only to later discover we ended up better off with what we got. Damn near every year and this is likely no different. Losing Hamilton would suck, don't get me wrong, but we'd still have Cassel, Purvis and Lubin coming in to join this year's class where Brimah and Samuel already look considerably better than advertised. The conference issue is real but not insurmountable. As has been adequately illustrated, plenty of other programs successfully deal with it.

Maybe there is reason to be concerned about Hamilton but so far the only people indicating so are a bunch of jugheads who are chronically inaccurate. In any case its the propensity of some to extrapolate a single perceived or potential setback into program oblivion that is vexing.

Reaction Score
And to piggyback on Peacefrog's point, imagine if we had landed Quentin Snider? Based on what happened with him yesterday and today, it seems that he was going to end up at Lousiville no matter what. He would have decommitted from UConn, and we would probably have lost out on Cassell, too. I feel bad for Illinois, especially with Alexander probably announcing for Kansas later on today.

It seems that everything works out for UConn in the end when recruits choose different schools. Had Snider committed, fans would have been ecstatic, and once he decommitted, fans would turn into chicken little. I'm sure we will see other recruits from the 2014 class that will compare to some missed recruits in 2013 - similar to XRM, Jordan Bell & Brandon Austin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom